ST KILDA

GEELONG

PORT ADELAIDE

ESSENDON

ADELAIDE

GOLD COAST

NTH MELBOURNE

FOOTSCRAY

Fremantle have made 11 changes, Ross Lyon did this with the Saints in 2009 rested 13 players in the last game before the finals. St Kilda have 4 retiring and 2 playing their 200th game.

Edited by chooka

Freo slams Simonds Stadium final plan

By Peter RyanExclusive to AFL Bigpond Network 4:30pm AEST Thursday, August 29, 2013

292708-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Geelong may host Fremantle at Simonds Stadium in week one of the finals

FREMANTLE has hit out at the possibility of playing a final against the Cats at Geelong's Simonds Stadium in the first week of the finals.

Dockers president Steve Harris said if the game was played at the venue thousands of football fans from Perth and Melbourne would be denied the chance to see the game live.

Harris said the MCG and Etihad had much better facilities than Simonds Stadium and deserved to host the final.

With finals match-ups still up in the air, he slammed the decision to even consider the prospect.

“It is inconceivable that a venue such as Simonds Stadium, with a capacity of 33,500 and which has not seen a crowd greater than 30,082 this season, and with an average of only 26,740 in 2013, would be considered for a game that is likely to attract 40,000 to 50,000 people, including several thousand people from Perth who would travel to Melbourne to see the game," Harris said.

Geelong would need to finish second and Fremantle third for the two teams to meet in a qualifying final and for the game to be played in Victoria.

Fremantle has twice played Geelong in finals in Victoria. Both games were played at the MCG. It lost the first match in 2010 by 69 points and won last year's encounter by 16 points.

Earlier the AFL confirmed a final could be played at Geelong's home ground if it finished second on the ladder and plays Fremantle in the first week of the final.

However the AFL has ruled out the prospect of playing a double-header at the MCG if four finals are played in Melbourne.

Although the AFL had previously ruled out the Cats' prospects of a home final it will now entertain the possibility, but only if Geelong is drawn to meet Fremantle in week one of the finals.

"Simonds Stadium is an option for a final, but only if it was a Geelong v Fremantle match and not for any other game," an AFL spokesperson said.

Night football can now be played at Simonds Stadium and the completed Players' Stand has increased capacity to 34,000.

While the finishing position of teams in the final eight will not be known until Saturday night at the earliest, if results go to expectation four Victorian clubs would fill the first and second and fifth and sixth positions on the ladder and thus qualify for a home final.

Expected results would see Hawthorn beat the Sydney Swans on Friday night and finish on top and play the Swans the following week.

If the Cats then defeated the Brisbane Lions at Simonds Stadium on Saturday and Fremantle beats St Kilda it would leave Geelong playing Fremantle in Victoria.

However if Hawthorn loses to the Sydney Swans the Cats may claim top spot and be drawn to play the Swans. The AFL would not consider playing that game at Simonds Stadium.

Simonds Stadium is available in all four timeslots and the AFL would be responsible for organising the game so it would have no impact on Geelong's preparation for the final.

The AFL would however need to consider travel arrangements for Fremantle and take into account the potential schedule of both clubs for the following week.

The use of Etihad Stadium remains a viable option, with the AFL contracted to play a final at the venue if more than two finals are played in Victoria in week one of the finals.

However if a final is not played at Etihad the AFL can compensate the venue – as it has in the past – by scheduling extra home and away games the following season.

Geelong would obviously be pleased to play a final at Simonds Stadium however its coach Chris Scott declared on Tuesday it would be happy to play anywhere.

"We don't decide the draw. We don't have any influence over it at all," Scott said.

"Our home ground is Simonds Stadium first and the MCG second. We'd love to play there but we would love to play at Etihad as well."

Edited by Ron19

My Tips Rd 23

HAWTHORN

ST KILDA

GEELONG

PORT ADELAIDE

ESSENDON

ADELAIDE

GOLD COAST

NTH MELBOURNE

FOOTSCRAY

Fremantle have made 11 changes, Ross Lyon did this with the Saints in 2009 rested 13 players in the last game before the finals. St Kilda have 4 retiring and 2 playing their 200th game.

Wow. Would have to rate St Kilda a chance to win now

By Peter RyanExclusive to AFL Bigpond Network 4:30pm AEST Thursday, August 29, 2013

FREMANTLE has hit out at the possibility of playing a final against the Cats at Geelong's Simonds Stadium in the first week of the finals.

Dockers president Steve Harris said if the game was played at the venue thousands of football fans from Perth and Melbourne would be denied the chance to see the game live.

Harris said the MCG and Etihad had much better facilities than Simonds Stadium and deserved to host the final.

With finals match-ups still up in the air, he slammed the decision to even consider the prospect.

“It is inconceivable that a venue such as Simonds Stadium, with a capacity of 33,500 and which has not seen a crowd greater than 30,082 this season, and with an average of only 26,740 in 2013, would be considered for a game that is likely to attract 40,000 to 50,000 people, including several thousand people from Perth who would travel to Melbourne to see the game," Harris said.

Geelong would need to finish second and Fremantle third for the two teams to meet in a qualifying final and for the game to be played in Victoria.

Fremantle has twice played Geelong in finals in Victoria. Both games were played at the MCG. It lost the first match in 2010 by 69 points and won last year's encounter by 16 points.

Earlier the AFL confirmed a final could be played at Geelong's home ground if it finished second on the ladder and plays Fremantle in the first week of the final.

However the AFL has ruled out the prospect of playing a double-header at the MCG if four finals are played in Melbourne.

Although the AFL had previously ruled out the Cats' prospects of a home final it will now entertain the possibility, but only if Geelong is drawn to meet Fremantle in week one of the finals.

"Simonds Stadium is an option for a final, but only if it was a Geelong v Fremantle match and not for any other game," an AFL spokesperson said.

Night football can now be played at Simonds Stadium and the completed Players' Stand has increased capacity to 34,000.

While the finishing position of teams in the final eight will not be known until Saturday night at the earliest, if results go to expectation four Victorian clubs would fill the first and second and fifth and sixth positions on the ladder and thus qualify for a home final.

Expected results would see Hawthorn beat the Sydney Swans on Friday night and finish on top and play the Swans the following week.

If the Cats then defeated the Brisbane Lions at Simonds Stadium on Saturday and Fremantle beats St Kilda it would leave Geelong playing Fremantle in Victoria.

However if Hawthorn loses to the Sydney Swans the Cats may claim top spot and be drawn to play the Swans. The AFL would not consider playing that game at Simonds Stadium.

Simonds Stadium is available in all four timeslots and the AFL would be responsible for organising the game so it would have no impact on Geelong's preparation for the final.

The AFL would however need to consider travel arrangements for Fremantle and take into account the potential schedule of both clubs for the following week.

The use of Etihad Stadium remains a viable option, with the AFL contracted to play a final at the venue if more than two finals are played in Victoria in week one of the finals.

However if a final is not played at Etihad the AFL can compensate the venue – as it has in the past – by scheduling extra home and away games the following season.

Geelong would obviously be pleased to play a final at Simonds Stadium however its coach Chris Scott declared on Tuesday it would be happy to play anywhere.

"We don't decide the draw. We don't have any influence over it at all," Scott said.

"Our home ground is Simonds Stadium first and the MCG second. We'd love to play there but we would love to play at Etihad as well."

Geelong would be crazy to play away from the Cattery. If they have a choice they should choose it.

Not surprised Freo is gunning for Etihad or MCG laugh.png

• Like 1

and try beating the cats on their home ground. Best home ground advantage in the comp.

Apologies for my tardiness...

My tips for the last round of the regular season!

Sydney

Geelong

Port

Essendon (giving the AFL a big FAR QUEUE, no they still deserve their punishment ;) )

West Coast

Gold Coast

North Melbourne

Melbourne

My roughie for the week, North Melbourne :P hahaha

Sydney

Geelong

Port

Essendon (giving the AFL a big FAR QUEUE, no they still deserve their punishment ;) )

West Coast

Gold Coast

North Melbourne

Melbourne

My roughie for the week, North Melbourne :P hahaha

Freo v st Kilda?

Sydney

Geelong

Port

Essendon (giving the AFL a big FAR QUEUE, no they still deserve their punishment wink.png )

West Coast

Gold Coast

North Melbourne

Melbourne

My roughie for the week, North Melbourne tongue.png hahaha

North have everything to play for, a slot in the final 8 if Carlton lose. So what is your tip for the Freo / Saints game. Take the saints as a roughie.

Sydney

Geelong

Port

Essendon (giving the AFL a big FAR QUEUE, no they still deserve their punishment Posted Image )

West Coast

Gold Coast

North Melbourne

Melbourne

My roughie for the week, North Melbourne Posted Image hahaha

North have everything to play for, a slot in the final 8 if Carlton lose.  So what is your tip for the Freo / Saints game.  Take the saints as a roughie.
With freo resting 9 players it should be close.

I admit that it is a try on by fremantle but consider this excerpt from the above article :

" Although the AFL had previously ruled out the Cats' prospects of a home final it will now entertain the possibility, but only if Geelong is drawn to meet Fremantle in week one of the finals. "

You can't change the rules midstream.

Entertaining the idea because the freo game would only attract about 33,000 - whereas that figure is likely to be significantly more if they play the Swans?

Yeah, I'll agree with that :)

I do agree, however, that Geelong should be entitled to play any of their finals at Kardinia given it is the number one home ground and they're at a disadvantage by playing at Etihad or the G...

The same for the Swans in Sydney, unfortunately the deal they made with Stadium Australia or Telstra Stadium or ANZ Stadium or WHATEVERTHEF**KITSCALLEDTHESEDAYS dictates that they have to play finals footy there.

I've never liked that ground and I hated (not that it stopped me from going but I digress) going to games there as it just didn't have the same atmosphere as the SCG. You're much further away from the action.

That being said, with renovations underway at the SCG, playing finals footy there does not make any sense from a crowd and financial stand point.

On Australian Network Asia they are showing tonights game live at 1630. Good to see they changed their minds. Next week the Saturday game will be a delayed telecast due to the election results being shown. The 2nd game of the day will be shown at 8pm

• Like 1

On Australian Network Asia they are showing tonights game live at 1630. Good to see they changed their minds. Next week the Saturday game will be a delayed telecast due to the election results being shown. The 2nd game of the day will be shown at 8pm wonder

I wonder now if I wasn't a lone voice bitching about the 1730 timeslot.

• Like 1

On Australian Network Asia they are showing tonights game live at 1630. Good to see they changed their minds. Next week the Saturday game will be a delayed telecast due to the election results being shown. The 2nd game of the day will be shown at 8pm wonder

That was to fit in Home and Away. Who watches it anyway apart from the British. It has now been moved to 10 p.m. for those that care.

Thailand
AFL Toyota Premiership Season 2013 - R23: Sydney Swans v Hawthorn
Friday, 30 August 2013 at 16:30
AFL Toyota Premiership Season 2013 - R23: Port Adelaide v Carlton
Saturday, 31 August 2013 at 13:00
AFL Toyota Premiership Season 2013 - R23: Essendon v Richmond
Saturday, 31 August 2013 at 16:30
AFL Toyota Premiership Season 2013 - R23: Collingwood v North Melbourne
Sunday, 1 September 2013 at 12:00
AFL Toyota Premiership Season 2013 - Qualifying Final 1: Times TBC
Friday, 6 September 2013 at 16:30
AFL Toyota Premiership Season 2013 - Qualifying Final 2: Times TBC
Saturday, 7 September 2013 at 10:30

I was watching the footy last weekend in my hotel room in Hua Hin whilst the wife was doing her thing.

I noticed that the sound was out of sync with the picture, this was only on the Australia Network channel and the others were all synced. Is this normal for the Australia Network?

I've got the option to watch it on the iPad and stream via the Apple TV if needed, just found it annoying :P

On Australian Network Asia they are showing tonights game live at 1630. Good to see they changed their minds. Next week the Saturday game will be a delayed telecast due to the election results being shown. The 2nd game of the day will be shown at 8pm

Thanks for the reminder rip, I was thinking it was Thursday for some reason.. Luckily brought the iPad to the office today so don't have to be flicking screens whilst typing away :P

Entertaining the idea because the freo game would only attract about 33,000 - whereas that figure is likely to be significantly more if they play the Swans?

Yeah, I'll agree with that :)

I do agree, however, that Geelong should be entitled to play any of their finals at Kardinia given it is the number one home ground and they're at a disadvantage by playing at Etihad or the G...

The same for the Swans in Sydney, unfortunately the deal they made with Stadium Australia or Telstra Stadium or ANZ Stadium or WHATEVERTHEF**KITSCALLEDTHESEDAYS dictates that they have to play finals footy there.

I've never liked that ground and I hated (not that it stopped me from going but I digress) going to games there as it just didn't have the same atmosphere as the SCG. You're much further away from the action.

That being said, with renovations underway at the SCG, playing finals footy there does not make any sense from a crowd and financial stand point.

Playing ANZ is good for bigger crowds and therefore higher revenue but I don't think it favours Sydney

I also sent them and Email complaing about the time change. There response was that people have requested it be changed so they can see after they finish work. What a load of BS. Didn't take them long to change it back.

• Like 1

I also sent them and Email complaing about the time change. There response was that people have requested it be changed so they can see after they finish work. What a load of BS. Didn't take them long to change it back.

I sent three messages because of the time delay in getting an answer,in one case three weeks.Nothing like the couple of days they promise.

The Swans have come to play tonight! White 2 very good goals in the first quarter and Captain Jack kicking one from the boundry on the run right on quarter time has given the boys a handy 3 goal lead at quarter time...

Hopefully they can maintain this intensity.

Bruce and Dennis are barring up!

Franklin on report. Big bump on Malceski's head.

He'll be back for the grand final if Hawthorn make it...

Looks like Hawthorn might be playing Freo next wek....Good news for Freo if Buddy is out.... Of course the game is 63-47 five minutes into 3rd Q and Sydney stiil have to win... and Geelong has to win tomorrow laugh.png