19Gb Cannot Find On "C" Drive

UbonOz

Refer my thread - Refer Post #29

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/544573-running-out-of-disc-space-windows-7c/page__st__25

I am trying to find about 19GB on my C drive which should not be there, should be on my E or F Drive. It just does not show anywhere, it all shows as zero. Could E or F drive be sharing C drive.

My C drive is full and is not letting me do Windows updates etc.

Any suggestions appreciated.

I have been trying all day to fix this problem.

I know where the problem is, it is in "C' Users.

One of the files has a lock which I don't know how to remove. The other issue when trying to delete the folder a pop-up says the file or folder is in use. so cannot delete.

Restart your computer in safe mode and see if that gives you access. To start your computer in safe mode, press F8 multiple times as it is booting up (After the "POST (black screen with white text) but before the Windows loading logo). Then choose 'Safe Mode' from the list of options. This will limit what drivers are loaded and could release the file.

Do you have multiple user accounts on your computer? Is the file in your Users directory? If it is, you may need to log on as another account (after a reboot) to release and delete the file. Curious though...do you know what the file is before you go deleting it? You may want to rename it first to see what breaks...you can then rename it back if you realize it's important. Also, you can delete whole user profiles from the Control Panel --> System --> Advanced System settings if those user profiles are not needed. But, again, make sure you don't need what's there first and don't delete your own profile...Not that you can while you're logged in anyway ;).

Also...make sure you have emptied out your recycle bin to free up space.

clean up your c drive, you can start with ccleaner and use a number of other tools such as wise disk cleaner. you need to get free space to about 15% of total drive space.

i dont undertand your problem.

you have less disk space than you had a few weeks ago?

you have a file(s) that have vanished totalling 19gb?

are you by chance running vista?

Deleting old restore points frees up C drive space but leave a few (5) of the most recent just in case. Youtube is your friend and will show you several ways to free up space on your C drive. This has been a topic here in the past too so try the search box.

I deleted CC Cleaner and downloaded again.

I noticed it automatically went to c drive, it really needs to,go e drive so,I don't end filling c drive again.

Not sure how to change the setting so,all my downloads go to e drive.

Any advice how to change please?

I deleted CC Cleaner and downloaded again.

I noticed it automatically went to c drive, it really needs to,go e drive so,I don't end filling c drive again.

Not sure how to change the setting so,all my downloads go to e drive.

Any advice how to change please?

Sorry about all the commas, typing too fast, only noticed after I posted.

Do you have a single physical hard drive with multiple partitions like C, E and F (assuming D is the DVD/CD drive).

If so, you may need to install a third-party partition manager to increase the size of the C partition.

Or do you have a single C drive and your E and F partitions reside on a second physical hard drive?

if so, you may need to invest in a larger physical HD.There's third-party disk managers that allow you to 'clone' your existing HD without drama.

For both options, I recommend Easeus software. EaseUS® Partition Master Home and EaseUS® Disk Copy Home Edition. Both are freeware.

The default is for all programs to be installed in a 'Programs' folder on the C drive. When launching any program installer, it will install in the default Programs directory unless you tell it otherwise.

The same goes for downloads, the default target folder will be (roughly) the C/User/Downloads folder but you can change that too.

It would help if you mentioned what o/s you are running as XP, Vista and 7 have subtle differences in how they can be f*cked with.

Do you have a single physical hard drive with multiple partitions like C, E and F (assuming D is the DVD/CD drive).

If so, you may need to install a third-party partition manager to increase the size of the C partition.

Or do you have a single C drive and your E and F partitions reside on a second physical hard drive?

if so, you may need to invest in a larger physical HD.There's third-party disk managers that allow you to 'clone' your existing HD without drama.

For both options, I recommend Easeus software. EaseUS® Partition Master Home and EaseUS® Disk Copy Home Edition. Both are freeware.

The default is for all programs to be installed in a 'Programs' folder on the C drive. When launching any program installer, it will install in the default Programs directory unless you tell it otherwise.

The same goes for downloads, the default target folder will be (roughly) the C/User/Downloads folder but you can change that too.

It would help if you mentioned what o/s you are running as XP, Vista and 7 have subtle differences in how they can be f*cked with.

Thanks for your comments. I have Windows 7.

I am having a few issues now as my C drive is nearly full and every time I try to do something I get message to make more space on C drive.

C and E are on the laptop, F is an external hard drive.

I cannot delete about 19G, it is locked and needs an administrator approval etc.

I really need to see a good computer man that can speak English so I can converse effectively. Hard to find one in Ubon Ratchathani.

I am not confident to play with it much more, I have tried. I have probably dug myself into a hole with my limited knowledge.

Maybe I should start a new topic to see if anyone can suggest a good man in the area.

Thanks for your comments. I have Windows 7.

I am having a few issues now as my C drive is nearly full and every time I try to do something I get message to make more space on C drive.

C and E are on the laptop, F is an external hard drive.

I cannot delete about 19G, it is locked and needs an administrator approval etc.

I really need to see a good computer man that can speak English so I can converse effectively. Hard to find one in Ubon Ratchathani.

I am not confident to play with it much more, I have tried. I have probably dug myself into a hole with my limited knowledge.

Maybe I should start a new topic to see if anyone can suggest a good man in the area.

I have downloaded EaseUS.

Have increased C by 50GB from E drive.

It is rebooting now, I think it will take all night to finish. Moving data, 900 of 20,285 at a slow rate.

Hope it works, will let you know.

That has worked beautifully, thank you.

I still have a couple of issues to deal with but they can wait till another day.

I now have heaps of space on C drive.

• 2 weeks later...

That has worked beautifully, thank you.

I still have a couple of issues to deal with but they can wait till another day.

I now have heaps of space on C drive.

Glad to hear that your immediate problem was solved. I doubt you will have any more issues with that 50Gb partition getting too small. I started using EaseUS a couple of years ago as I found their free version did a whole lot more a whole lot easier than paid versions of Acronis or Paragon and fairly sh!ts all over whatever passed for disk management in Vista.