Sunrise Tacos 2Nd Rd. Now Open!

SunriseTacos

Guess I did. I had forgotten about that. The thread shows what a hassle it is.

On my last visit to the US, I had some fantastic tortillas. There are now places making them fresh from fresh masa. The tortillas at Sunrise are vastly inferior to the ones I had in the US. It's a real missed opportunity for them, seeing as how they do things completely from scratch.

Edit: Jayman, I noticed you added something about ordering online. I may try that with some masa, but I suspect it still won't be fresh masa as it's perishable.

Second Edit: A quick search doesn't show any masa available readily online at a reasonable price.

Edited by Jimmyd

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No flame at all, just simply pointing out that its better to do some research before making assumptions. corn tortillas are not simply corn and water as has been incorrectly suggested and masa must be made from field corn not regular sweet corn and involves lime (stone) so its not a simple easy process.

I have never found masa in any kinds of real quantities in Thailand and did research trying to find corn of the right hardness (yes its got to have the right starch content) in Thailand as well. So, before suggesting you are getting flamed perhaps take my politely worded suggestion and do some research.

No flame at all, just simply pointing out that its better to do some research before making assumptions. corn tortillas are not simply corn and water as has been incorrectly suggested and masa must be made from field corn not regular sweet corn and involves lime (stone) so its not a simple easy process.

I have never found masa in any kinds of real quantities in Thailand and did research trying to find corn of the right hardness (yes its got to have the right starch content) in Thailand as well. So, before suggesting you are getting flamed perhaps take my politely worded suggestion and do some research.

Gil here. We instituted free chips about 3 months ago, and all staff have been instructed. I have been watching this also, and I have not seen a table not get their chips (unless they ordered "Chips & Salsa" which makes the free chips redundant. PM me if you don't get chips, this is a customer service issue and I want to stay on top of it. Even better, get the server's name and let me know. 2 weeks ago, we had to stop for 1 day because our tortilla machine was down, and we were running out of chips for nachos. Luckily, we were able to reinstitute free chips within 1 day. I lost a head of hair worrying about my tortilla machine (anyone take to guess how much they cost?). You;ll be shocked.

We make all our chips and taco shells from scratch. Our corn is boiled, treated, and then soaked for 9 hours. 3 types - white, blue and yellow. The white and blue is imported, and the yellow is a local variety that we found works well and has a good taste. We then grind it, and add a couple of things that we like to keep to ourselves. From there, we roll it by hand into carefully weighed balls, and then hand press in a tortilla machine. Two thicknesses - one thickness for chips (thinner) and a heavier one for taco shells (to prevent falling apart when biting). Chips are then cut, and air dryed for 6-7 hours, and then flash fried before going directly into a baking / warming bin. The process is not easy, and quality can detoriarate at any stage if not careful (e.g., too long or short soaking, too much water in mix, too long drying (makes them hard), frying temp, etc. I like our own chips, I think that they are rustic, tasty, and go well with the salsas. With 1-2 margaritas, they are addictive. Alas, I guess I am biased.

Gil

• Like 1

Thanks for that. I guess you need to train the staff a little harder. Believe me, they are NOT bringing the chips without being asked. I think as a repeat customer where this has happened repeatedly I would know! To say you don't think this happens when we have customers here telling you it DOES happen is a bit silly, yes?

BTW, I don't doubt they have been trained, but training and doing ain't the same thing. So when you ASK for the chips, they will know what you are talking about instantly.

Edited by Jingthing

So they bring the chips when the boss is there.........

I usually don't tip much since there is a 10% service charge. Could it be an attitude issue?

I'm glad you brought that up. I have to admit that is one of the reasons I no longer visit Sunrise. I used to be a big fan and have spoken to Gil in person when I first started frequenting there. I was hoping to see him again after I realized the 10% + 7% was being added to the bill but never had a chance. Maybe he would like to address that here.

Do the employees get all of the 10% service charge that is added to the bill? Do the employees know they are getting a tip with every customer added to the bill? Do you think that maybe this is causing your staff to not perform at the level you are expecting? I know that myself and many others will not tip on top of a compulsory service charge. This is not a very liked practice among the expat community. If you are trying to market to the expat community and not just tourists then perhaps you should reconsider this policy of a compulsory service charge. Another thing to consider is including the vat charges in the menu prices.

That's just my 2 cents.

I love your chips and the salsa bar is GREAT!

• Like 1

Maybe the solution is to have the servings of gratis chips waiting at the salsa bar. Then people can take as they need when they get their salsas?coffee1.gif

Of course, the BEST would be for the chips to come without asking (for people who KNOW to ask) but if that isn't really happening ...

Edited by Jingthing

Maybe the solution is to have the servings of gratis chips waiting at the salsa bar. Then people can take as they need when they get their salsas?coffee1.gif

Of course, the BEST would be for the chips to come without asking (for people who KNOW to ask) but if that isn't really happening ...

Do the gratis chips include unlimited chips? Personally I have always opted to pay for the chips cause I thought that was the only unlimited source. Have I been playing myself?

The gratis chips are generally a small portion. I think if you ask nicely they will bring another small portion, also gratis. Of course, I wouldn't encourage people to abuse this if they intend to make a meal of the chips. Water please. No food. Bring chips. No siree.

Since you said the portions of free chips are small I doubt they would do this since it would encourage gorging.

I'll remember that the next time I am warned about flaming .... but I was just pointing out (politely worded) that the other guy should do some research.

That's almost as good as "evolving view" in lieu of changed position.

I usually don't tip much since there is a 10% service charge. Could it be an attitude issue?

I'm glad you brought that up. I have to admit that is one of the reasons I no longer visit Sunrise. I used to be a big fan and have spoken to Gil in person when I first started frequenting there. I was hoping to see him again after I realized the 10% + 7% was being added to the bill but never had a chance. Maybe he would like to address that here.

Do the employees get all of the 10% service charge that is added to the bill? Do the employees know they are getting a tip with every customer added to the bill? Do you think that maybe this is causing your staff to not perform at the level you are expecting? I know that myself and many others will not tip on top of a compulsory service charge. This is not a very liked practice among the expat community. If you are trying to market to the expat community and not just tourists then perhaps you should reconsider this policy of a compulsory service charge. Another thing to consider is including the vat charges in the menu prices.

That's just my 2 cents.

if the service is poor, tell them you are not paying it and you want the bill converted to a takeaway

that way the service charge does not apply......

That's just my 2 cents.

if the service is poor, tell them you are not paying it and you want the bill converted to a takeaway

Not sure to will fly since I seem to remember seeing the compulsory service charge listed on the take out menu.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not abject to tipping. I just want to be sure that all the tip is going to the service staff and that the staff is also aware of this.

That's just my 2 cents.

Not sure to will fly since I seem to remember seeing the compulsory service charge listed on the take out menu.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not abject to tipping. I just want to be sure that all the tip is going to the service staff and that the staff is also aware of this.

i refused to pay for very poor service and that's exactly what the owner did

he barked out the instruction to the cashier in Thai and thought i would not understand

i am a big tipper for good service

does not happen much in Thailand though.......

The service charge + the change I leave, usually comes to about 40Bt.

I hope the staff gets it.

Good restaurants have happy staff that would fight to keep the job.

The tipping system works well in the States.

My favorite restaurants had long term staff that worked hard and made excellent tips. Fun for everybody.

Edited by pauljones

• 3 weeks later...

Recent visit to Sunrise.

Manager not in sight.

Chips brought to table without asking.

Salsas were all stocked at the bar.

Extra napkins were STOCKED on the tables!

Credit where credit is do. Hope they can keep it up.

Edited by Jingthing

Noticed the chips are back. Nice.

Recently had the food at LaMonita (Ploenchit) and Tacos & Salsa (Suk Soi 18), in Bangkok.

The carnitas and tortillas are top notch. Both of these places would work in Calif. It's the kind.

Tacos & Salsa have new a owner, (Mexican lady?) Not quite sure....

and across the Soi I noticed a new Mexican restaurant in the Town Lodge Hotel lobby and appears to be some ex Taco & Salsa staff making a go of it.

Miss that cheerful fellow, Jorge at Tacos & Salsa. Where are you ?

Recently had the food at LaMonita (Ploenchit) and Tacos & Salsa (Suk Soi 18), in Bangkok.

The carnitas and tortillas are top notch. Both of these places would work in Calif. It's the kind.

and across the Soi I noticed a new Mexican restaurant in the Town Lodge Hotel lobby and appears to be some ex Taco & Salsa staff making a go of it.

I was not sure if T&S was still open. After they moved to the end of that soi I just got too lazy to make it all the way down there. So, the food is OK? (Personally I think Jorge should have stayed at his original location or started something in Pattaya.) I eat at La Monitas every weekend and love the cheese enchilada, refried beans and rice, quacamole and the new salsa bar that is actually better than the one at Sunrise Tacos, which is also good by the way. You said the carnitas are top notch, but did you mean at La Monita's or T&S?

Billy, the owner of La Monita is from the East Bay/SF. His carnitas burrito is the real deal. Unwrap the foil as you go and get a nice,

little puddle of grease at the end. Always make it a point to hit La Monita when I'm in BKK. A little more expensive than Sunrise, but

way better.

The restaurant business is very hard.

I heard that one very good Mexican restauarant (owned by Rob who has started some BBQ places in Bangkok, Jontiem and Hua Hin that are well known) closed in Bangkok - I can't remember the name, but got lots of compliments on Thai Visa when it opened.

I heard that one very good Mexican restauarant (owned by Rob who has started some BBQ places in Bangkok, Jontiem and Hua Hin that are well known) closed in Bangkok - I can't remember the name, but got lots of compliments on Thai Visa when it opened.

Are they really closed?

http://www.loscabosbangkok.com/about-bangkok-mexican.html

BTW, the now closed GARC rib location in Jomtien suffered from severe inconsistency issues. However, I think their biggest problem was LOCATION. I think they could have made it quite well in a more tourist accessible location.

I was not sure if T&S was still open. After they moved to the end of that soi I just got too lazy to make it all the way down there. So, the food is OK? (Personally I think Jorge should have stayed at his original location or started something in Pattaya.) I eat at La Monitas every weekend and love the cheese enchilada, refried beans and rice, quacamole and the new salsa bar that is actually better than the one at Sunrise Tacos, which is also good by the way. You said the carnitas are top notch, but did you mean at La Monita's or T&S?

Equally delicious. Had tacos at both places.

(The other Mexican restaurant on Soi 18 moved from Rembrandt Hotel18 to the Rembrandt Hotel, Soi 20 I see.)

Carnitas. That's how I gauge a new Mexican place.

LaMonitas may have tasted a bit better but had more oil than T&S. Both served on a small soft corn tortilla with cilantro, chopped white onion & lime wedge.

Both have lots of salsas to choose. They decorate the place nice, the staff was good.

It's a tie.

About 300Bt for a decent meal.

Sunrise does a good job at it most times and serves a bigger portion.

It is sweeter and less salty than I prefer.

The Mango Salsa is a nice idea but doesn't do it for me.

I recommend make a less sweet carnita's and serve it with a side of the sweet Lalo salsa to compliment.

I walked into the Town Lodge to check the new Mexican place after I ate at T&S.

The nice lady that had been working with Jorge at T&S at his different locations all these years was working there. Good sign.

Are they really closed?

That is what I was told by one of his former partners in a different restaurant. Too much rent and not the best location.

I believe you're referring to Los Cabos, which was on Soi 14 in BKK. Rob took over an old, 2 story house and redid it nicely.

Never seemed to catch on except the Happy Hours were good with the free pupus. It was enough he had to deal with one Sunrise

but when Sunrise opened another shop in Terminal 21, that kind of killed it for Los Cabos.

My guess is 3 good Mexican restaurants becoming well-known about the same time (La Monitas, Tacos & Salsa and Los Cabos) is what ruined it for him. Being in a place that was not very convienient and in the same area as those other restaurants meant not a lot of traffic.