Convert A Stepthrough Bike Into Mountain Crawler

Now that I a live up in the sticks, I can see that a lot of guys have modified there Honda Dreams and other bikes into more rugged all terrain type bikes. I have a crossover bike for myself and it suits me fine, but the rest of the crew here are a bit short for it and I don't fancy them dumping my bike all the time. If I want to hit a trail I have to do it myself and that is less fun too.

Anyhow, what would be my best starting point, start from scratch? which bike? Maybe just buy one already done?

Any experience out there?

Older two-strokes like the Honda Nova Dash or Suzuki Crystal are excellent to convert to bush runners, I had a Honda Nova Dash for a long time, the 125cc two-stroke has a perfect power to weight ratio when the dirt becomes mud. Most bigger dirt bikes are just sinking into the slipper-clay dirt and will never get out of it... with a little 125cc which weighs not that much you stay much longer on the dirt....

Edited by Richard-BKK

When I was 12 years old I had a local welder modify my Schwinn Sting Ray by putting a small sprocket in front and a big chain ring on the rear freewheel. I could go anywhere in the woods but not very fast! That slick was a problem in the mud though but I rode that thing everywhere. Just gear up any bike and see what happens Canuck!

It turns out that I already have a bike to modify. My brother in law's 2 stroke dash has been sitting in a back shed for the last 5 years. apparently it runs, we are going to try and start it up tomorrow. Nice way to start out, by getting a free bike. He said we can do what we want with it. Currently it is modded with skinny bike tires and those low slung handles bars. So that will be the starting point of the makeover.

When I was a young sprouter of 16 I used to bush bash on a Suzuki TS185 with lights etc stripped. Has a mate with what we used to call a step-though (125), he had pollished and ported that thing, knobby tires, exhaust etc, use to leave me in the dust. Well until he gave my bike the same treatment anyway. So I expect you can setup anything for the boonies.

Here is the bike I got for free.

IMG_6719sm.jpg

IMG_6721sm.jpg

IMG_6717sm.jpg

I think when they said it runs, they meant it still rolls if you push it. Motor needs seals, new piston, and a new head.

But I am still gonna do it.

By the way it is a Nova Super Sport, not a dash, But I think they are the same thing right?

Edited by canuckamuck

. . .

I think when they said it runs, they meant it still rolls if you push it. Motor needs seals, new piston, and a new head.

By the way it is a Nova Super Sport, not a dash, But I think they are the same thing right?

I'm not sure about the colour.

Edited by macknife

. . .

I'm not sure about the colour.

Well I think getting it rolling under it's own power is the first priority, but I agree, I hate middle red.

I promise I will get some funky paint on it eventually.

How about this combination:

Honda Sonic, 6/7 years old 50,000 on the clock Minimum.

Advantage manual gear change for those not so perfect roads,tyres rear 110/80 17" front 90/90 17" I think thats about max for the forks and rear suspension.

Handle bars raised giving you a better upright riding position.View good and weight away from the front wheel less lightly to crash into ditches and Klongs !!!

150 cc I think, got a bit of pull for me (would prefer a BMW F650 but the are a Little bit more for second hand ฿375,000 !!) my Honda ฿25,000 with all new tyres and wheels etc.

Above all its great fun to ride out of town.

Don't forget to left click the photos for increase size.

post-31104-0-96702700-1334466217_thumb.j

post-31104-0-51252700-1334466268_thumb.j

Edited by petertucker48

Honda and Yamaha had some funky looking scooters all done up for "adventure" riding at the Bangkok Motor Show. I think this one is based on a Honda Click? Yamaha's was called a "TTX Adventure" and looks like this:

032812-off-road-yamaha-ttx-adventure-scooter-9.jpg

post-56035-133447352423_thumb.jpg

Edited by BigBikeBKK

IMG_6719sm.jpg

IMG_6721sm.jpg

IMG_6717sm.jpg

Not quite, the Dash is the later model, manual 6 speed gear, liquid cooled and 125 cc, whereas the Supersport is auto 5 speed, air cooled and 110 cc .

I had a Dash for years, loved it, very torquey bikes!

• 3 weeks later...

I forgot to update this thread.

I did get some work done on the Nova. got the motor rebuilt, it now has front and back disks, a chain tensioner, some chunky off road tires, and they put some sort of graphic in the middle of the plastics, I think it is there to hold them together.

Anyhow, it's a runner, but a heck of a smokey thing, and it really aint built for speed.

Did it all for 5000 baht, and remember the bike was free.

I will take it out on a few hills this weekend, but the problem I have right now is that it is still too tall. How does one go about reducing the rear height?

Almost forgot, Here are some pics

IMG_6740.jpg

nova-left.jpg

Edited by canuckamuck

I forgot to update this thread.

I did get some work done on the Nova. got the motor rebuilt, it now has front and back disks, a chain tensioner, some chunky off road tires, and they put some sort of graphic in the middle of the plastics, I think it is there to hold them together.

Anyhow, it's a runner, but a heck of a smokey thing, and it really aint built for speed.

I will take it out on a few hills this weekend, but the problem I have right now is that it is still too tall. How does one go about reducing the rear height?

Almost forgot, Here are some pics

IMG_6740.jpg

nova-left.jpg

what a transformation, a smokey engine is normal for the first few runs if the engine has recently been rebuit.

Just how tall is it?

• 7 months later...

What was it like on road when you hit tarmac with those tyre,s on?breaking etc?

im hunting down a good set of 17inch A/T or off road (frunt and rear)for my platinum,

just worried about off road grip on road with a heaver 250 bike,

can get 18s anywhere but 17 seem a no can do here in C,mai, any shop recomendations ,

Never changed the sprockets, it's a pretty slow bike but it needs to have the ratio to climb. It has the expected lack of grip from off road tires, I wouldn't push it in the corners. Sadly it doesn't get used as much as I had hoped. Mostly it hauls a trailer.

I got full dirt tires on my Lifan too, it took a lot of the fun out of road driving, But it loves the hills. I ought to get a motard set, but I haven't got around to it.

What was it like on road when you hit tarmac with those tyre,s on?breaking etc?

im hunting down a good set of 17inch A/T or off road (frunt and rear)for my platinum,

just worried about off road grip on road with a heaver 250 bike,

can get 18s anywhere but 17 seem a no can do here in C,mai, any shop recomendations ,

Might be a good idea to have your wheels rebuilt with 18 inch rims. Shouldn`t cost too much.