Why Is It So Difficult To Find A Good Friend In Thailand

thequietman

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

learn to be self sufficient....I am sometimes for a week or 2 in the south in my wifes house complete alone (she is in BKK) I have some repair work to do.

No communication with anyone, not leaving the house.....no problem

Hi, yes, thanks. I have my garden, so that kills a lot of time for me. But its just sometimes, its nice to have a beer and talk.

• Like 2

learn to be self sufficient....I am sometimes for a week or 2 in the south in my wifes house complete alone (she is in BKK) I have some repair work to do.

nearing 9000 posts and no contact with anyone .......:)

• Like 2

nearing 9000 posts and no contact with anyone .......smile.png

Too busy.

Kindest regards.

Kettle.

• Like 1

Most of the Falang who come to live in Thailand are not the cream of the crop of society, this would explain why it is so hard if you are a decent person to find good friends . Luckily for me I have never really enjoyed having male friends, and am happy enough in the company of my girlfriend, other ladies or myself.

In pyschology this is known as Tinypenisism.

Actually I think you are being too generous, I have been told by my psychologist that it is Micropenisism.

• Like 1

I think you're expectations are too high.

You've eliminated Thais leaving you 30 westerners of various nationalities.

culturally, most of these are no closer to you than the Thais

Let's say that excludes half, leaving you 15 people who you can speak to. Then lets say you find only 50% of them socially acceptable, that leave 7. Apply the same 50% rule to them and only 3.5 will find you socially acceptable.

Expecting to find a "freind" in 3 random people is optimistic at best.

• Like 1

if you don't like the fish your swimming with then maybe the solution is to look for a bigger pond ? if not then you just have to learn to live with that which you can do nothing to change.

Easy for me to say I guess, I've always felt more comfortable with lamp posts rather than trees.

Edited by roamer

^ Excellent post Guesthouse. Every aspect sums up how I feel very well. I've got a couple of expats friends ( one Danish and one Kiwi ) who I do truly consider friends. Blokes like me who just enjoy a good laugh and a chat together about once a week. To be brutally honest I can't be bothered to sort the wheat from the large pile of chaff that seems to account for a large number of expats in Thailand. If by doing so I miss out on the chance to come across somebody who could be a good friend then so be it. I don't crave western company that much. My family visit me twice a year and at least one group of my old pals from back home ( true mates for many years ) pop up every few months or so. That'll do me.

Edited by mca

before i begin i will state clearly I have no problem with expats, i'm sure there are some wonderful people.

I am yet to find one that is not a slobering Alcaholic.

I cant stand drunks, drunk talk, drunk behaviour, so I will wait until a friend comes along who can see straight, i'm sure there are plenty.

question is why do so many expats have drinking problems and clear mental illness.

remember i said not all so if this is not you don't fire up.

• Like 1