What If Requirements Are Set Higher For Retirement, Ed Visa Etc....

gravion

Hello ladies and gentlemen, im wondering.

what if thai gov sets the higher criteria for retirement, ed visa etc for ur stay in thailand?

as far as i know, u need to keep 800K baht in your bank ac every year for the extension of ur retirement visa.

what if u got some medical matters that doesnt allow your further stay in thailand?

what would u do?????

what if they set like 1.5M baht to be in ur bank ac...... as for 800K baht, u reckon u can keep it till ur death like 80-90 ish?

whats ur thought????

im more keen on thoughts of those that have worked in thailand for a longtime and decided to retire here...

in my opinion, if ur not on those expat package, below 80-100K+ salary, it seems like a dark future.... ya reckon?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who really want to be here there are ways.

I am 50+

Live here 100% legal under the Thai laws

Don't have 800,000 Bt. in the bank

Work legal,

And live a much better life style than were I came from on 15,000 - 20,000 Baht a month (for 3 peple)

And on my visa I don't have to do 90 days check ins or even go near immigration.

If you want to be here you just need to do some reserch and find what works for you

I am 50+

Work legal,

And live a much better life style than were I came from on 15,000 - 20,000 Baht a month (for 3 peple)

And on my visa I don't have to do 90 days check ins or even go near immigration.

If you want to be here you just need to do some reserch and find what works for you

i think you should let us all know your secret, unless......?

Well I for one believe that as the cost of living is always going up it is inevitable that they will change the requirements.

But I really don't see it happening soon.coffee1.gif

The cost of living is only going up dramatically for those wanting 'farang' everything.

I know markets where beautiful bananas have been 15 Baht for the last 5 years.

800,000 in the bank is something most Thai's dream of, I don't see why we should need so much.

Well I for one believe that as the cost of living is always going up it is inevitable that they will change the requirements.

The cost of living is only going up dramatically for those wanting 'farang' everything.

800,000 in the bank is something most Thai's dream of, I don't see why we should need so much.

I think most Thais want more than bananas to eat and have little interest in traveling 20 kilometers to get them for 15 baht when they can go to one close by and get them for 20 baht a kilo.

I think most Thais want more than bananas to eat and have little interest in traveling 20 kilometers to get them for 15 baht when they can go to one close by and get them for 20 baht a kilo.

?? unsure.png

• Like 1

?? unsure.png

No-one need travel 20 kilometers to get anything....you just haven't been here long enough to know.

In the past when financial requirements have been raised for retirement extensions, people already in the system on the old levels have been grandfathered in on the old levels for as long as they stay here continuously. In other words, if they mess up and need a new visa, they need to start at the new levels but if they keep getting extensions, old levels. A very humane policy. Hopefully, this will continue for any future changes, but never any guarantees.

This seems an entirely sensible approach. I didn't know it had happened here, but admit to being relieved at JT's post.

I've been called Papa for long enough... do I now qualify for Grandpa (at 75)?

In the past when financial requirements have been raised for retirement extensions, people already in the system on the old levels have been grandfathered in on the old levels for as long as they stay here continuously. In other words, if they mess up and need a new visa, they need to start at the new levels but if they keep getting extensions, old levels. A very humane policy. Hopefully, this will continue for any future changes, but never any guarantees.

Are you sure about this? I assume you are speaking from experience, so I won't say you are incorrect, but I have been here since 2002 on a continuous Retirement Visa/Extensions and when the requirements increased, they increased for me also. At least no one ever told me otherwise. smile.png

Are you sure about this? I assume you are speaking from experience, so I won't say you are incorrect, but I have been here since 2002 on a continuous Retirement Visa/Extensions and when the requirements increased, they increased for me also. At least no one ever told me otherwise. smile.png

Why would they tell you? It's your responsibility to know. They wouldn't object to your application being at the higher level, now would they? Edited by Jingthing

Why would they tell you? It's your responsibility to know. They wouldn't object to your application being at the higher level, now would they?

I presume this is tongue in cheek JT?

I was about to give the same information that Jingthing provided. The next time you're at Immigration, ask at the desk if they have something written regarding proof of sufficient income needed. They will--or should be able to--give you a small, photocopied list of requirements that clearly explains the proof of sufficient income now needed, as well as the lesser amount that still applies to those retirees who have been here continuously since prior to the "new" current requirements. (I no longer have that memo, so I don't know what the old amount was, nor when the new amount took effect.)

The law changed for those who obtained retirement extensions after October 21, 1998.

Here is the Thai Immigration law as a .pdf file.

The answer to the question about the lower requirement is found on page 10 (of 13), under "7.21".

Thai Immigration law.pdf

Thanks for the legal document. What this means is that yes the people on the old levels WERE indeed grandfathered.

Why would they tell you? It's your responsibility to know. They wouldn't object to your application being at the higher level, now would they?

Not this time!

In answer to the OP's question, yes I guess anything is possible.

Under PM Thaksin (when he was last in office officially) there was a big push to try to attract high net worth individuals (Elite Card program), and the laws changed regarding both visa exempt issuance (unlimited "border runs") and the 90 day reporting (ignored before, then enforced again)- evidence of a tightening up of requirements for expats.

Really I have always assumed that at some point in time, the Thai gov't might well raise the bar for non-immigrant residents.

I know this would be a hardship for new arrivals, but I hope and pray that they "grandfather" the people who are here already, just as they did in 1998.

I was referring to the why would they tell you - Its your responsibility to know.

IMO It's their responsibility to know and it's their responsibility to tell you, they're the immigration officers.

But I understand the not objecting part - it just reinforces much of what I think..

I was referring to the why would they tell you - Its your responsibility to know.

IMO It's their responsibility to know and it's their responsibility to tell you, they're the immigration officers.

But I understand the not objecting part - it just reinforces much of what I think..

I have never depended on immigration officers to tell me the requirements and I have always considered it my personal responsibility to learn them. Their job as POLICE is to ENFORCE the laws of Thailand, not hold our hands. If someone who has been grandfathered comes in with money above the actually required level, I find it absurd to EXPECT them to helpfully advise you that you have shown money above the minimum required amount. Similarly I qualify on 800K. If I come in with an account of 5 million, would they tell me, BTW you only needed 800K? Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Very true. Though I would also be the first to admit that I (and likely many others) actually require at least a couple 'farang somethings'. In my case that applies specifically when it comes to the kids, their schooling, healthcare, transportation, food, hobbies.. A a car and a child safety seat is a Farang Something. Health insurance is a Farang Something. Taking kids to ballet class is a Farang Something, and so on. When it comes to my own requirements though, I'm perfectly happy at the level I was at in the 1990's. Just about all of my best experiences in Thailand didn't involve any money to speak of. thumbsup.gif

Actually 800K in the bank is something I dream of too. Tip: Don't have kids. smile.png

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Very true. Though I would also be the first to admit that I (and likely many others) actually require at least a couple 'farang somethings'. In my case that applies specifically when it comes to the kids, their schooling, healthcare, transportation, food, hobbies.. A a car and a child safety seat is a Farang Something. Health insurance is a Farang Something. Taking kids to ballet class is a Farang Something, and so on. When it comes to my own requirements though, I'm perfectly happy at the level I was at in the 1990's. Just about all of my best experiences in Thailand didn't involve any money to speak of. thumbsup.gif

Actually 800K in the bank is something I dream of too. Tip: Don't have kids. smile.png

Indeed. Yes it does seem impossible to save any money once you have kids. It's close to impossible as they always require some large expenditure. But I don't see how the health insurance or schooling is a 'farang something' since most Thais from the lower-middle-class on up have these expenditures too. Even the poorest families have to pay something to send their kids school, even though it may be only 5,000 THB per term.

Edited by elektrified

I am 50+

Work legal,

LOL I'm sure you are joking about living on 10-15K for 3 peple (or people). There is an old guy in my moobaan who lives on 15,000 and it is pathetic the way he lives.

I'd be interested to know what visa lets you live here legally on 15K per month.

True, that over the years the Immigration requirements for 50 plus year olds long stay visas have been what they call grandfathered.

But in the future this may well change as more farangs coming into the country are abusing the laws and system, which could mean a tightening up of visa regulations, and more conditions including increased financial burdens added to the present visa requirements.