Thailand Needs Cricket

If we are to argue for the affirmative that Thailand does indeed need Cricket, maybe we should also look those sports which compete for the similar sporting space.

The obvious stand-out there is Baseball ... which I have to say, I am also a fan of having played it in my youth at school.

I know that tutsiwarrior has agreed to 'step up to the plate' once more and we look forward to his contribution.

As a brief overview there is much to admire about both games.

The reaction times required are similar.

The delivery speeds are similar.

As is the distance from the pitcher/bowler to the batter.

Oh course there are lot's of graphics to demonstrate the point.

Starting with this one of a cricket delivery ...

post-104736-0-63688600-1339464596_thumb.

90 mph (40 m-sec); 30 ft (10 m) from batsman, 250 msec to coordinate stroke

I am asking that this discussion does not turn into a run chase full of coffee comments or gratuitous applause.

Plus I am not asking anyone to post in a particular manner but our street cred has been challenged and rightfully so.

But as we all know ... up to you.

well...after living in the UK for 10 years I know that cricket has its fanatical adherents but does not have the popular appeal that baseball has in the US...baseball is popular entertainment ('take me out to the ball game' with hotdogs and beer) whereas cricket is for a discerning connoisseur and that this observation lends a different way of looking at things...an independant assessment, as it were... (tutsi's drug addict mates back in California would snarl: ''as it were?' just what the <deleted> does 'as it were' supposed to mean?...'

an engineering colleague in the east midlands who I admired for his grasp of utility boiler design would arrange his yearly holiday around the Notts County cricket schedule but it was hard to get any info from him about the game as he was known as 'whispering Bob'...

it was a wasted opportunity to understand the game of cricket ('what are the stats, Bob what are the stats?) that I presently lament...he always dressed in tweeds and had an appreciation for real ale...

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just for clarification, Thailand Needs Cricket and Thailand Does Not Need Baseball.

We have already discussed that cricket will benefit Thailand in many ways, including:

#1. better driving and road safety awareness (including for pedestrians)

#2. an end to the "face" culture

#3. an end to the "up to you" culture

#4. an end to the "let someone else do it" culture

#5. better building / construction standards

#6. a reduction in scam artists

#7. fairer police

#8. an end to Bangkok's flood problems

#9. less bumpy roads upcountry

#10. more tolerance for sunshine

#11. less single mothers

#12. reconciliation of all Thai people on both sides of the political divide

#13. English language skills

#14. better use of computers / technology

#15. improved economic planning

#16. lower murder rate

#17. less conflict / terrorism in the border regions

#18. tastier (and less weird) food

#19. a better understanding of the benefits of a proper division of labour

#20. improved sweeping standards among Thai maids

#21. greater lateral thinking and creative problem solving

#22. less public nose picking

#23. less pigeons

Of these, Baseball could only real help with reducing the pigeon population. Baseball may even worsen some of these issues, including English language skills and the murder rate.

One only has to look to the successes achieved by Australian society (through cricket) and contrast that with America (a baseball led society), to see that Thailand Needs Cricket and Thailand Does Not Need Baseball.

Edited by brit1984

Just for clarification, Thailand Needs Cricket and Thailand Does Not Need Baseball.

We have already discussed that cricket will benefit Thailand in many ways, including:

#7. fairer police

#11. less single mothers

#16. lower murder rate

#23. less pigeons

Of these, Baseball could only real help with reducing the pigeon population. Baseball may even worsen some of these issues, including English language skills and the murder rate.

One only has to look to the successes achieved by Australian society (through cricket) and contrast that with America (a baseball led society), to see that Thailand Needs Cricket and Thailand Does Not Need Baseball.

(24) Less divorce......Mom and Dad have something in common........cricket.

ye gots to admit that baseball bats are effective when it comes to an arguement...cricket bats are awkward and require two hands and a gloved arrangement...

'whadchoo say m'fukkah?'...'that yo' mama fellates subspecies, ye jive POS!...'

Edited by tutsiwarrior

<snip>

Great summation of the state of play.

Since I seem to have upset the apple cart (Aussies are good at challenging conventions)

What are the team tactics to go forward?

post-104736-0-14657200-1339470811_thumb.

While we contemplate that some fluid motion for you ...

EDIT:- tutsi ... if we were toe to toe, my weapon of choice would also be a baseball bat, preferably metal, not for control but a baseball bat is slightly longer.

Edited by David48

<snip>

Since I seem to have upset the apple cart (Aussies are good at challenging conventions)

EDIT:- tutsi ... if we were toe to toe, my weapon of choice would also be a baseball bat, preferably metal, not for control but a baseball bat is slightly longer.

I love the rhetorical question, David48.

What are our tactics?

To go forward.

I'd recommend, if you're toe to toe, a nut to the neb and a toe-cap to the shin; or perhaps vice versa; you're too close in to be messing about with planks of wood or metal bars.

"If at first you don't succeed

Use the boot, and then the heid"

though to be fair, that was the operating instructions for a vending machine *

SC

TV Cricket

The Team with Two Knees

for the time being

Edit:

* I should add - not the manufacturer's instructions

Edited by StreetCowboy

If we are to argue for the affirmative that Thailand does indeed need Cricket, maybe we should also look those sports which compete for the similar sporting space.

The obvious stand-out there is Baseball ... which I have to say, I am also a fan of having played it in my youth at school.

I know thattutsiwarrior has agreed to 'step up to the plate' once more and we look forward to his contribution.

I am asking that this discussion does not turn into a run chase full of coffee comments or gratuitous applause.

Plus I am not asking anyone to post in a particular manner but our street cred has been challenged and rightfully so.

Some good stats there...and a go post all round

What are the stats for pitching and batting reflex times for baseball?

#7. fairer police

#11. less single mothers

#16. lower murder rate

#23. less pigeons

A very good summation.

lets not forget 'Improved International Relations' (Russians etc..)

<snip>

Re stirring up the possums, I knew what you were up to you......thumbsup.gif

Don't like to say it but, he took it hook, line and sinker'

but we can't look down on him for that as he does really and truly has, why "Thailand Needs Cricket" at heart

Have to sit down and explain the Aussie way of thinking....... wink.png

I know thattutsiwarrior has agreed to 'step up to the plate' once more and we look forward to his contribution.

Apparently none.......that we can talk about...wink.png

I prefer a hickory Louisville Slugger, about 40 ozs; more weight and confidence than one of those tin things...and ye always gotta remember the battle cry: '###, yo mama!...' as it always puts yer opponent on the run...

now, with the stats it's the overall batter's success against the pitchers and RBIs and HRs and then the pitcher and the batter line up against one another and the pitcher sees the signals from the catcher and then knows where too put the ball over the plate...and then the pitcher spits tobacco juice and goes into his windup (even better with men on board the bases) and then the tension is palpable: the batter, catcher and the home plate ump and the entire infield and then there is a swing or the ump signalling 'ball' or a 'strike' and then pandemonium and riot...

quite remarkable and you would never see that in a cricket match...just like America, major league baseball is either 'do or die' and the drama is incredible...a suitable metaphor for western civilization in general...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

<snip>

I love the rhetorical question, David48.

What are our tactics?

To go forward.

I'd recommend, if you're toe to toe, a nut to the neb and a toe-cap to the shin; or perhaps vice versa; you're too close in to be messing about with planks of wood or metal bars.

"If at first you don't succeed

Use the boot, and then the heid"

though to be fair, that was the operating instructions for a vending machine

SC

TV Cricket

The Team with Two Knees

for the time being

What was the second option they recommended?

Some predictions:

I predict Thailand will achieve Test cricket status in 2024

I predict my first son will make his Test debut (and first double-century) for Thailand in 2028

I predict Thailand will reach #1 in the World Test Rankings in 2035

I predict Thai society will be completely fixed by cricket in 2042

(and this will be confirmed by the current Thai PM directly on this thread)

Any more predictions?

Edited by brit1984

The ball bounces in cricket, which makes it more difficult. If the bowler bowls a full-toss (like a baseball pitch) it is rather easy to play. Also, the range of possible ball directions allowed in cricket is far greater than in baseball (where they have to pitch it half a yard outside off). Again, if the bowler had to bowl every ball to a specified line (just outside off) and length (so the ball is at a convenient hitting height when it reaches the batsman), scoring centuries would be easy.

A certain someone has requested that we not talk about 'that other ball game' infomilies020.gif but just between you and me ... the reaction times are very close ... but needed slightly faster in 'that other ball game' due to the fact that 1/ The Pitcher is slightly closer to the batter and the fact that 2/ the Cricket Ball actually slows after hitting the pitch. Delivery of the ball is approximately the same speed, assuming better then a 'Medium Paced Delivery' ... and we don't want any of those ... do we?

Where the reaction times changes is the effect the path the ball takes off the pitch.

Just a quick summary .. but not open for discussion ... otherwise I get this infomilies002.gif from you know who ... rolleyes.gif

Just read brit1984 post while I was typing.

I predict that I will be dropped from the First IX after soon ... whistling.gif

Some predictions:

I predict my first son will make his Test debut (and first double-century) for Thailand in 2028

Any more predictions?

I predict that your son's 10 brothers will make their Test debut (and first double-century), in order of their age, each year from 2029 till 2039

Edited by kevjohn

A certain someone has requested that we not talk about 'that other ball game' infomilies020.gif but just between you and me ... the reaction times are very close ... but needed slightly faster in 'that other ball game' due to the fact that 1/ The Pitcher is slightly closer to the batter and the fact that 2/ the Cricket Ball actually slows after hitting the pitch. Delivery of the ball is approximately the same speed, assuming better then a 'Medium Paced Delivery' ... and we don't want any of those ... do we?

Where the reaction times changes is the effect the path the ball takes off the pitch.

Just a quick summary .. but not open for discussion ... otherwise I get this infomilies002.gif from you know who ... rolleyes.gif

Can't drop the PM. He's to good with visual graphics, besides' I learn a lot from him.

Some predictions:

Any more predictions?

Some predictions:

Any more predictions?

I predict that my 18 y.o. son will take a baseball bat to some dumb and abusive cop in Brighton and get away with it...

and then they would say when an outlaw with a baseball bat was identified: 'hey...the song 'Louie, Louie' was heard when the damage was done...'...and then they say: 'can't be as the perp was definitely an English lad...'

and then INTERPOL inspectors would say: 'English lad or not there is a remarkable resemblance to the international US villain 'tutsiwarrior' who hides out in the Thailand countryside...alert our associates there at once!

The ball bounces in cricket, which makes it more difficult. If the bowler bowls a full-toss (like a baseball pitch) it is rather easy to play. Also, the range of possible ball directions allowed in cricket is far greater than in baseball (where they have to pitch it half a yard outside off). Again, if the bowler had to bowl every ball to a specified line (just outside off) and length (so the ball is at a convenient hitting height when it reaches the batsman), scoring centuries would be easy.

We should make that a rule for the opposing team, who ever they may be.

Some predictions:

Any more predictions?

Some predictions:

Any more predictions?

I predict that my 18 y.o. son will take a baseball bat to some dumb and abusive cop in Brighton and get away with it...

and then they would say when an outlaw with a baseball bat was identified: 'hey...the song 'Louie, Louie' was heard when the damage was done...'...and then they say: 'can't be as the perp was definitely an English lad...'

and then INTERPOL inspectors would say: 'English lad or not there is a remarkable resemblance to the international US villain 'tutsiwarrior' who hides out in the Thailand countryside...alert our associates there at once!

Yeah, but I'd cover for you tutsiwarrior. I'm big enough.

Whereas in Cricket, it would be XI, David48...

We get no end of grief on another thread whenever we mix codes, and we are lucky to stay one step ahead of the man with the whistle; and half a step behind the man with the ball, if we're lucky... Or we ought to, anyway. I feel quite guilty about it, sometimes...

SC

TV Cricket

The team with two knees

EDIT: Fonts changed for added clarity, and clarification added too, to fit the font

If the font fits, flaunt it; to flaunt a fit font is what he is wont

Edited by StreetCowboy

Some predictions:

Ummm, Errr, may I make one subtle bowling change to your delivery technique?

Maybe "I predict Thai society will be completely fixated by cricket in 2042"

However your original statement may have more then an element of truth in it ... giggle.gif

We get no end of grief on another thread whenever we mix codes, and we are lucky to stay one step ahead of the man with the whistle; and half a step behind the man with the ball, if we're lucky... Or we ought to, anyway. I feel quite guilty about it, sometimes...

SC

TV Cricket

The team with two knees

EDIT: Fonts changed for added clarity, and clarification added too, to fit the font

If the font fits, flaunt it; to flaunt a fit font is what he is wont

My biggest problem is staying 1 step ahead of the computers reject button.....sad.png

Edited by kevjohn

Some predictions:

Any more predictions?

I predict that your son's 10 brothers will make their Test debut (and first double-century), in order of their age, each year from 2029 till 2039

Good prediction although that is actually 11 years (and hence 11 brothers)

Are you, in fact, predicting that I will have 12 sons? If so, I like that idea.

Even if one is injured, there will always be enough Brit Juniors to make a team.

laugh.png

SC

TV Cricket

The team with two knees

You almost got away with that SC ... we are all making mistakes this afternoon ...

Some predictions:

Any more predictions?

Some predictions:

Any more predictions?

thanks, kev...you are very kind...my step daughter is 9 months pregnant and the doctors say that she could drop it at anytime and I can hide behind her bulk until then...

Some predictions:

Ummm, Errr, may I make one subtle bowling change to your delivery technique?

Maybe "I predict Thai society will be completely fixated by cricket in 2042"

However your original statement may have more then an element of truth in it ... giggle.gif

I predict Thai society will be fixated by cricket much earlier than that.

As soon as we run a television commercial during the ad-break for one of the soaps.

Featuring, of course, a celebrity (or celebrities) endorser(s) as discussed earlier.

Some predictions:

Any more predictions?

Good prediction although that is actually 11 years (and hence 11 brothers)

Are you, in fact, predicting that I will have 12 sons? If so, I like that idea.

Even if one is injured, there will always be enough Brit Juniors to make a team.

Boss if you can do it, up to you...wink.png

thanks, kev...you are very kind...my step daughter is 9 months pregnant and the doctors say that she could drop it at anytime and I can hide behind her bulk until then...

Well.....just let me know when ya need me. Might have ta make a quick dash, from Aus, but I'll be there......thumbsup.gif

Edited by kevjohn