Overstay And You'Re Deported......Take Your Chance At Your Peril..

...it appears that the Deportation was strictly down to that offence, although am surprised he didn't get hit for the 20,000 Baht as well...

The summary fine of 500 Baht per day, maximum 20,000 Baht, applies to an overstay fine paid to immigration. When an overstayer is brought to court, the judge looks at each case individually and decides on the fine. While the law, ie section 81 of the Immigration Act, mentions punishment "with imprisonment not exceeding two years or a fine not exceeding 20,000 Baht or both" I have seen it mentioned in this forum, I believe by Badbanker, that judges usually sentence the overstayer to a fine of not more than10,000 Baht and deportation, but no imprisonment.

Deported for another offence. Overstay irrelevant...but why people overstay beggars me...try at all costs to stay legal visa wise!

Here is Uncle Souties solution to the overstay problem:

7 days or less = fine as normal

more than 7 days first offense = 1 week lock up & banned from Thailand for 3 months

second offense = another week in lock up and banned for 6 months

third offsense = 1 month in lock up deported and banned for 10 years

I really think you are way off the mark here imagine the overcrowding in the prisons and detentions centre's which are already at breaking point.......Or are you just aiming this at Farang and not the thousands of Loatian Cambodians and Burmese? which would be immigration discrimmination wouldn't it! tongue.png

With all due respect, from what I've read, they do not care how over crowded the prisions and jails are. They just throw them in and let them get by the best that they can. They're not much on human rights here.

Just curious, what about if you know someone who is a consistent overstayer, who also impreganted a 15 year old girl here in Phuket and runs an illegal gambling site based out of Phuket and Chiang Mai....where would one report that? Ive looked on the internet and cant find out where to report this insect

I think falls into "do not get involved category"!

Unless it is affecting you or your family directly.

Good advice, Im sure it will all catch up with him without my help

Just curious, what about if you know someone who is a consistent overstayer, who also impreganted a 15 year old girl here in Phuket and runs an illegal gambling site based out of Phuket and Chiang Mai....where would one report that? Ive looked on the internet and cant find out where to report this insect

Each immigration office has several divisions, division 3 is the investigative branch where you report illegal acivities to.

you can also email them, it is on the Phuket immigration website.

Chuwit?

I would think a drug/paraphenalia charge would trump an illegal overstay. Maybe they can't get the drug charge to stick:just now: eg, they know what the 'glass pipe' is for but maybe it's new without any residue so there is no actual drug evidence, but they know if they look harder (sweepings on the floor of his room, etc) there just might be. In the meantime they have him on the overstay.

Sort of like the way that fellow who was leaking classified information is being held as a sex offender in another part of the world.

Whether he'll be allowed to re-enter the kingdom will always be tainted by the illegal substance factor, so there is no way to use this incident to judge how the immigration rules are enforced.

• Like 1

It certainly seems to be more than a simple overstay, in fact the overstay would appear to have been overlooked when fining said person.

Do we know if he was blacklisted?

Crossy, I would agree with the post above yours that I am quoting here ... the title on this thread is wrong.

Getting caught as opposed to turning up at the airport makes a world of difference.

Caught on a motor bike with some Glass Pipe (whatever that is)

54 weeks overstay, 8,000 Baht fine for the offence, no overstay fine, and straight deportation after 10 weeks banged up.

If I get more will give it to you.

glass pipes are used for smoking ice (drug, widespread but very illegal).

so there is much more to the case than a simple overstay.

what was the result of the piss test?

what would be the result of a follicle (hair) test if one was performed?

then this is 13 months overstay... not just a couple of weeks.

personally, I don't wish people driving around with glass pipes be allowed to stay.

I'd bet a guy with no tattoos (not implying your friend has tattoos) and wearing a shirt with sleeves (not implying your friend didn't wear one) and not carrying drugs or items associated with drug use would have been able to sweet-talk/ bribe his way out without a problem.

do you mean that a guy with no tattoos and a shirt with sleeves who bribes the police is a good person?

well, my experience with druggies, tattooed or grunge-dressing persons (categories which are often overlapping)

You are mixing with the wrong crowd

The British Royal Court must have been fascinated with Omai's tattoos, because the future King George V had himself inked with the 'Cross of Jerusalem' when he traveled to the Middle East in 1892. During a visit to Japan he also received a dragon on the forearm from the needles of Hori Chiyo, an acclaimed tattoo master. George's sons, the Dukes of Clarence and York were also tattooed in Japan while serving in the British Admiralty, solidifying what would become a family tradition.

Taking their sartorial lead from the British Court, where Edward VII followed George V's lead in getting tattooed; King Frederick IX of Denmark, the King of Romania, Kaiser Wilhelm II, King Alexander of Yugoslavia and even Tsar Nicholas II of Russia, all sported tattoos, many of them elaborate and ornate renditions of the Royal Coat of Arms or the Royal Family Crest. King Alfonso XIII of modern Spain also had a tattoo.

Tattooing spread among the upper classes all over Europe in the 19th century, but particularly in Britain where it was estimated in Harmsworth Magazine in 1898 that as many as one in five members of the gentry were tattooed. There, it was not uncommon for members of the social elite to gather in the drawing rooms and libraries of the great country estate homes after dinner and partially disrobe in order to show off their tattoos. Aside from her consort Prince Albert, there are persistent rumours that Queen Victoria had a small tattoo in an undisclosed 'intimate' location; Denmark's King Frederick was filmed showing his tattoos taken as a young sailor. Winston Churchill's mother, Lady Randolph Churchill, had a tattoo of a snake around her wrist, which she covered when the need arose with a specially crafted diamond bracelet. Carrying on the family tradition, Winston Churchill had an anchor tattooed on his forearm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_tattooing

I would not accuse the OP's friend of lying, only being economical with the truth.

He isn't being economical with the truth because the facts were quite simple as per post 7....

Knowing the stupid bugger as I do he would have been the first blow up the story to all and sundry to gain kudos.

He was caught with this Glass pipe but he was fined and dealt with whilst in detention for the Overstay.

He was deported without fine for a stay over one calander year. Thats all there is to it.

I would not accuse the OP's friend of lying, only being economical with the truth.

He isn't being economical with the truth because the facts were quite simple as per post 7....

Knowing the stupid bugger as I do he would have been the first blow up the story to all and sundry to gain kudos.

He was caught with this Glass pipe but he was fined and dealt with whilst in detention for the Overstay.

He was deported without fine for a stay over one calander year. Thats all there is to it.

So nothing new really, everybody knows that whilst there is an option just to pay an overstay fine at the airport whilst you are leaving, if you are caught within the country you do risk being banged up and chucked out. Your OP implied also that this person may be barred from returning to Thailand, but you have produced no confirmation of that, and there have been plenty of posts on this forum that suggest otherwise.

So nothing new really, everybody knows that whilst there is an option just to pay an overstay fine at the airport whilst you are leaving, if you are caught within the country you do risk being banged up and chucked out. Your OP implied also that this person may be barred from returning to Thailand, but you have produced no confirmation of that, and there have been plenty of posts on this forum that suggest otherwise.

What would you like me to do Buddy !! Produce transcripts of the immigration sequences...??

Am at a loss slightly how anyone can argue the point over Deportation. The guy was a Year over ?? Theres no dispute or argument with that.

There's no excuse for being over by more than 2 or 3 days where you take your chance anyway of being picked up but a year is taking the Piss surely !! (I accept obviously that Hospitalisation is different)

Try overstaying by a month or two in the UK and see if you get back in next time, let alone a year (actually you probably would get back in !!)

Edited by Chivas

I'm afraid I still don't see clearly here. "...he was fined...he was deported without fine..."

Was he fined for possession of a Glass pipe or was he fined for overstay? In other words, what section of what law was cited for the imposition of this fine, which was mentioned to have been 8,000 Baht?

Does "...deported without fine..." mean "...fined but deported without having had to pay the fine...", eg because each day in IDC reduced the amount of the fine due to be paid by 200 Baht?

It doesn't really matter to me; I'm only asking because I am confused. Every court sentence clearly states what punishment is imposed for the violation of what section of what law. So far, all that has been written about the reason for this fine here in this topic is pure speculation because this single, essential piece of information is missing, which in my opinion makes the whole topic pointless, ie it should never have been started without giving this information.

What would you like me to do Buddy !! Produce transcripts of the immigration sequences...??

Am at a loss slightly how anyone can argue the point over Deportation. The guy was a Year over ?? Theres no dispute or argument with that.

There's no excuse for being over by more than 2 or 3 days where you take your chance anyway of being picked up but a year is taking the Piss surely !! (I accept obviously that Hospitalisation is different)

Try overstaying by a month or two in the UK and see if you get back in next time, let alone a year (actually you probably would get back in !!)

Actually I disagree. I know of a couple of people who were about 5 months overstay through no fault of their own. They were given incorrect advise from their employer about their extension of stay after resigning from work. When they appeared at immigration looking to extend they were informed the ext of stay was cancelled already several months before. Typically the immigration officers never want to speak with foreigners directly, but instead deal directly with other Thais who are not the people applying for visas. Yes, if you over stay for more than a year or more than once you probably deserve more strict punishment, but there are many cases where overstay is because the foreigner never was informed the correct rules.

I'm afraid I still don't see clearly here. "...he was fined...he was deported without fine..."

Was he fined for possession of a Glass pipe or was he fined for overstay? In other words, what section of what law was cited for the imposition of this fine, which was mentioned to have been 8,000 Baht?

Does "...deported without fine..." mean "...fined but deported without having had to pay the fine...", eg because each day in IDC reduced the amount of the fine due to be paid by 200 Baht?

It doesn't really matter to me; I'm only asking because I am confused. Every court sentence clearly states what punishment is imposed for the violation of what section of what law. So far, all that has been written about the reason for this fine here in this topic is pure speculation because this single, essential piece of information is missing, which in my opinion makes the whole topic pointless, ie it should never have been started without giving this information.

I wish I never had posted this to start with !!

I'll be as clear as I can with the facts-if I add something that I left out before it was only because it was irrelevant.

He was caught within a standard bike road block check looking for no one in particular. Somewhere on the bike was this Glass pipe located. He was detained within the Police Station initially because of this. On automatic status check it was clear he was on huge overstay.

He was transferred to a Detention centre where he stayed awaiting court reference the Glass Pipe. That issue was dealt with by way of a fine.

He was now cleared to be deported which he was without fine, for which I was told was in lieu of deportation.

He is now back in Scotland "Persona Non Grata"

Now reference the last point I do not know for certain if that was for the drug issue, or the overstay. Quite frankly who cares.

What is certain without question was that he was deported.

Off the record I agree with the Thai Immigrations decisions. Nobody should be partaking in drugs or overstaying for a year and not expect the ultimate punishment in my opinion....

If he is buggered than no ones fault but his own.

Hope that clears that up.

Getting caught as opposed to turning up at the airport makes a world of difference.

Caught on a motor bike with some Glass Pipe (whatever that is)

54 weeks overstay, 8,000 Baht fine for the offence, no overstay fine, and straight deportation after 10 weeks banged up.

If I get more will give it to you.

So he overstayed by 54 weeks and was caught with drug paraphernalia? Little different than showing up at the airport and paying a fine and leaving.

Plus (and I am sure I will get flamed now ...) another case of an expat ruining it for the rest of us who are here legit. Personally I don't feel sorry for him and 10 weeks in jail/deportation center.

Actually I disagree. I know of a couple of people who were about 5 months overstay through no fault of their own. They were given incorrect advise from their employer about their extension of stay after resigning from work.

I think it is their own fault because you need to know the rules.

Actually I disagree. I know of a couple of people who were about 5 months overstay through no fault of their own. They were given incorrect advise from their employer about their extension of stay after resigning from work.

Doubtful, but unless you do all of your own extensions of stay and work permit yourself then you are relying entirely on someone else who may or may not tell you what is corret. Most companies arrange that for their staff so the employees are entirely dependent upon the HR dept. If they are told the wrong information then who is to blame?

Edited by Time Traveller

Doubtful, but unless you do all of your own extensions of stay and work permit yourself then you are relying entirely on someone else who may or may not tell you what is corret. Most companies arrange that for their staff so the employees are entirely dependent upon the HR dept. If they are told the wrong information then who is to blame?

Ultimately you, because put quite simply it is your responsibility to ensure your Visa, extensions and wp are correct

I'll be as clear as I can with the facts-if I add something that I left out before it was only because it was irrelevant.

He was caught within a standard bike road block check looking for no one in particular. Somewhere on the bike was this Glass pipe located. He was detained within the Police Station initially because of this. On automatic status check it was clear he was on huge overstay.

He was transferred to a Detention centre where he stayed awaiting court reference the Glass Pipe. That issue was dealt with by way of a fine.

He was now cleared to be deported which he was without fine, for which I was told was in lieu of deportation.

Now reference the last point I do not know for certain if that was for the drug issue, or the overstay. Quite frankly who cares.

Off the record I agree with the Thai Immigrations decisions. Nobody should be partaking in drugs or overstaying for a year and not expect the ultimate punishment in my opinion....

I think the combination of the 2 produced the deportation and blacklisting.

The glass pipe was a minor offense, but the overstay gave them the opportunity to kick him out.

I still hold the opinion that things would have turned out differently for a simple case of overstay.

I think the combination of the 2 produced the deportation and blacklisting.

The glass pipe was a minor offense, but the overstay gave them the opportunity to kick him out.

I still hold the opinion that things would have turned out differently for a simple case of overstay.

# products actually, overstay, drug taking parafinalia as well as failing a piss test. The guy got off easy in my books.

.....snip...... Typically the immigration officers never want to speak with foreigners directly, but instead deal directly with other Thais who are not the people applying for visas. .........

That's utter nonsense! The Immigration Officers are more than willing to speak directly to foreigners when they speak with a standard English accent (or better yet, in Thai), have a basic understanding of the rules and are polite. A comment like that just scares newbies into paying a fortune to a visa agent when one isn't needed.

• Like 1

.....snip...... Typically the immigration officers never want to speak with foreigners directly, but instead deal directly with other Thais who are not the people applying for visas. .........

That's utter nonsense! The Immigration Officers are more than willing to speak directly to foreigners when they speak with a standard English accent (or better yet, in Thai), have a basic understanding of the rules and are polite. A comment like that just scares newbies into paying a fortune to a visa agent when one isn't needed.

Not nonsense, just you misunderstand. I don't recommend anyone use visa agents - which was my main point - because if you do then the immigration deal directly with them and not you. So any thing told to a visa agent will not necessarily be passed on exactly or correctly to the applicant. Confronted with an english speaker and a thai speaker agent, the Thai immigration officer will ALWAYS speak in thai to the thai person. Especially when it comes to special situations and conditions on stay.

Edited by Time Traveller