Bangkok Prepares For Possible Flood

webfact

Bangkok prepares for this year’s possible flood

image_201208270700016560BA0F-AFB0-62D9-3193D7FBCFF8122B.jpg

BANGKOK, Aug 26- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has been bracing for possible flood and the water run-off from the North.

Speaking during a seminar on water management strategies for related civil societies on Sunday, Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra said that flood prevention work was underway.

BMA workers have been dredging canals in 18 flood-prone districts, MR Sukhumbhand explained, adding that the dredging process is now 97 percent complete and is expected to be fully finished by this month.

Meanwhile, the City Hall is working to heighten and reinforce the 77-kilometre-long flood walls along the Chao Phraya River.

The plan to raise the height of the flood walls could not be fully completed this year but it is likely to be finished next year, the governor admitted.

However, the BMA is focusing on the flood walls in the North of the capital, including Bang Khen, Bang Sue and Bang Phlat districts, which needed stronger flood walls to protect from upstream water and northern run-off, by placing additional sandbags to increase the height by 50 centimetres. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-08-27

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's impossible. Yingluck "promised" there would be no flooding this year.

Indeed - and there was another article here this morning from the government saying there would be no floods at all.

Hmmm, I wonder which is the harmless white lie? Guess we'll find out when either the flood comes, or the drought comes crippling the agriculture industry. Doesn't rice make up a huge proportion of the countries GDP?

I believe it DID.

• Like 2

Indeed - and there was another article here this morning from the government saying there would be no floods at all.

Hmmm, I wonder which is the harmless white lie? Guess we'll find out when either the flood comes, or the drought comes crippling the agriculture industry. Doesn't rice make up a huge proportion of the countries GDP?

There is no lie. No flooding this year. Flood defences being upgraded in case of flooding in future years. Pretty simple really.

• Like 1

Thats right and an article came out about 5 days ago that they were preparing for a severe drought this year. I am totally confused which one can we expect. Coats on coats off, ah bugger it, I will take my chances if my right knee plays up then it will be flooding.

Edited by chooka
  • Like 1

Thats right and an article came out about 5 days ago that they were preparing for a severe drought this year. I am totally confused which one can we expect. Coats on coats off, ah bugger it, I will take my chances if my right knee plays up then it will be flooding.

The weather is patchy. We have had about 25 cm a day for 2 1/2 weeks. T'other side of the peninsula, they are have to water their rubber trees.

There is a drought in much of the country, and whilst not having looked at the rain stats for the North, it is obvious that normality has returned in comparison with last year when the rain was 50% above average from March onwards.

If they manage to create a flood, that really would an amazingly incompetent achievement.

• Like 1

There might be a drought, there might be flooding, or it might be a normal year. I'm still waiting for them to add this last comment, this way they'll have all eventualities covered.

• Like 1

I've just been watching on the Thai News (Channel 3) how Issan is experiencing drought conditions and this years rice crop could be severely effected. The water levels in the Dam's are down.....

The absolutely ridiculous aspect of the flooding paranoia is that there are so many different agencies, power players and experts who's opinions differ so dramatically it creates a farce out of what for many could be economically crushing - drought or flood.

It really is a shame - There should be one agency to handle this and distribute factually accurate information.

• Like 1

It really is a shame - There should be one agency to handle this and distribute factually accurate information.

Ahh but you forget this is Thailand. The best profits are made when the power holders knows the facts, and the true stake holders are kept in fear. At the minute, everyone is worried about a flood or a drought and will not question any spending (bribing) to do with either. Half way between a drought and a flood is normal water flow but where is the profit in that?

• Like 1

This is a bit of an alarmist headline, as it aims to make people think there is a flood on there way, which there isn't. Governments plan for all eventualities, but it doesn't mean they are about to happen.

A better headling would have been... Bangkok upgrades flood defences, although no flooding expected this year.

Totally inept reporting. Or maybe deliberate to get people reading.

There won't be widescale flooding this year. There will always be some local flooding somewhere in Thailand. For the pedantic among you, Yinluck was referring to widescale flooding, and she is correct in what she said.

If I were a gambling man, I would bet that there won't be widescale flooding this year. The dam levels are very low, possibly kept that way in anticipation of heavy rains in the coming two months or so, which is typically when there is heaviest rainfall. In the event of heavy rains and they are forced to let the water out again, then the defences are in place to try and prevent flooding.

Simple and effective. Who would have thought this was possible in Thailand? :)

• Like 2

There is no lie. No flooding this year. Flood defences being upgraded in case of flooding in future years. Pretty simple really.

So Yingluck saying a few days ago that there might be flooding was the lie then?

It was an opinion, not a lie. Don't you know the difference?

• Like 1

So Yingluck saying a few days ago that there might be flooding was the lie then?

It was a promise not an opinion. Do you know the difference?

There won't be widescale flooding this year. There will always be some local flooding somewhere in Thailand. For the pedantic among you, Yinluck was referring to widescale flooding, and she is correct in what she said.

ermm.. and how the <deleted> would u know?

I just use common sense. It seems to be in very short supply these days. But here are some clues for you. Last year's flood was a once-in-50-years flood, so that means it will happen on average once every 50 years. The dams have less water than last year. So just those tow things should be enough to tell anyone with enough common sense that there won't be widespread flooding this year. Add in the fact that there has been some work on flood prevention, etc and it becomes even clearer.

So what's your excuse for not knowing?

• Like 1

Yes, and as I said at the time ... that promise was "based upon what"..?

Based on the fact that last years flood was a once-0in-50-years occurrence and that flood prevention work has been carried out.

It was a promise not an opinion. Do you know the difference?

Yes.

Yes, and as I said at the time ... that promise was "based upon what"..?

Based on the fact that last years flood was a once-0in-50-years occurrence and that flood prevention work has been carried out.

Hahaha!

I was in Khampaeng Phet a few days ago and the level of the Ping river is way down which means that the Chao Prahya will also be down.

Boosting the flood defences in Bangkok will not be a waste of time or money provided that the klongs, canals and rivers are dredged EVERY year from now on.

I was in Khampaeng Phet a few days ago and the level of the Ping river is way down which means that the Chao Prahya will also be down.

Boosting the flood defences in Bangkok will not be a waste of time or money provided that the klongs, canals and rivers are dredged EVERY year from now on.

Indeed - but what's the betting though that within the course of a year, the though process of "oh well, it's only one khlong I am taking a bribe to let someone build on...there are lots more" will be the reason why a plethora of different planning officials give permission for all the good work to be undone.

Figure it out for your self. She is a clone of Thaksin.

It's my left ankle that lets me know, we must keep this stream of genuine reports going between us.

First twinge and I'll PM you.

• Like 2