How Many Anti Virus Programs Do You Have Running On Your Comp?

robbie22

I am curious as to how many anti virus programs the avg guy or girl has running on there computers. First i have 5 different programs including Avast Free, Malaware Bytes Pro. Super anti Spyware, and Spybot and finally Uniblue Speed up you Comp. I had a problem with my modem and TOT sent out there guy and he mentioned my comp. was acting strange probably because i have to many Anti virus programs. This is normal for my comp. because it is a real battle to protect yourself. I wouls just like to get some information if i have overkill or not thanks in advance.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Running more than one anti-virus is counter-productive. They can easily work against each other.

AVG free is good for the system, Firefox has the browser protection you need in add-ons. Ghostery, noscript, flashblock.

Set them up right and you're covered ;)

• Like 2

Kasperski and one other .

I tried Kaspersky but it was too effective!I think I remember it blocking email,Internet explorer,the whole system was locked down more watertight than a duck's bottom!

I use Spyware Doctor with Antivirus from PC Tools,have done for 5 years or so and it's the best.I believe Norton own them now,they decided if you can't beat them,join them!

Running 1...Norton 360. Running more than one AntiVirus is overkill, slows down your computer, and possibly just causes conflicts. Just use whichever one you consider the best, most cost effective, etc.

You should only ever run one AV program - any more will have negative consequences to overall performance and the ability to stop viruses.

From my experience (ex MD of UK computer company) you get what you pay for. Free programs are not as good as paid for ones. Although, expensive ones with Personal Firewalls etc are usually unnecessary and will slow the computer down.

You can have other things like, Malwarebytes, Spybot or SuperAnitSpyware installed and just manually run them, say once per month, to regularly check you computer for Spyware.

• Like 1

If you consider computer security like layers of an Onion, use 1 Anti-virus, 1 Malware, 1 Spyware. Run anti-virus continuously, the malware and spyware can be run intermittently, especially if you have a weak computer. As long as they don't overlap too much, you're covered. Don't run more than 1 Anti-virus, just sucks up too much resources.

Those daily antivirus scans can suck up huge amounts of disk i/o, so schedule them when the computer is on, but you're not. Since prices are dropping rapidly, consider an SSD for your root drive.

I have no anti virus software.

Why?

I use a Mac. thumbsup.gif

Have fun with your anti virus programs guys, they really enhance your computers performance. cheesy.gif

iOS is a paid Trojan horse itself :)

Once you get it, the virus alters the owners brain and money starts flowing to toward Cupertino.

So if you buy a PC no money flows to those companies?

It must be time for you to sit around and wait for your anti virus program to run isn't it? Meanwhile I'm happy to be able to just get on with what I want to do without dealing with problems you shouldn't have to deal with thanks.

Why?

Have fun with your anti virus programs guys, they really enhance your computers performance. cheesy.gif

iOS is a paid Trojan horse itself smile.png

Once you get it, the virus alters the owners brain and money starts flowing to toward Cupertino.

iOS will hit your bank account faster than a Chinese hacker on Speed!w00t.gif

I use Microsoft Security Essensials.Never had A problem.Internet explorer might not be the best.Ya might want to go to firefox,or crome.

And using more than one anti virus program,you'll end up shooting yourself in the foot.

Plus there are so called cleaners out there you can use.But when ya do turn your anti virus off while running the program.After finishing the program turn it back on.

You should only ever run one AV program - any more will have negative consequences to overall performance and the ability to stop viruses.

From my experience (ex MD of UK computer company) you get what you pay for. Free programs are not as good as paid for ones. Although, expensive ones with Personal Firewalls etc are usually unnecessary and will slow the computer down.

You can have other things like, Malwarebytes, Spybot or SuperAnitSpyware installed and just manually run them, say once per month, to regularly check you computer for Spyware.

That is a lot of crock... Corporate gives me NAV (norton) for my work ThinkPad. That is the first thing that get thrown out. The corporate version of Norton is just the biggest scam in the anti-virus world. But it is expensive... so it must be good, our MDs and such reason...

I run Comodo free... gives me full control over what it does and when... Would not run more than one AV, counterproductive and hard on resources.

One more thing on free vs paid. For years I've been arguing to run our IT services on Open Source (mostly Free) software. The products are far more stable than most of paid for, and support from community if far superior to any I have received from the big corporations.

If you consider computer security like layers of an Onion, use 1 Anti-virus, 1 Malware, 1 Spyware. Run anti-virus continuously, the malware and spyware can be run intermittently, especially if you have a weak computer. As long as they don't overlap too much, you're covered. Don't run more than 1 Anti-virus, just sucks up too much resources.

Those daily antivirus scans can suck up huge amounts of disk i/o, so schedule them when the computer is on, but you're not. Since prices are dropping rapidly, consider an SSD for your root drive.

use ...

1 Anti-virus ... AVG

1 Malware ... Malaware Bytes

1 Spyware ... suggestions, as I don't have one installed and happy with the two above.

... and what is a 'SSD for your root drive' ... ?

Thanks

One - Microsoft Security Essentials.

Who knows whether its enough? Loads of conflicting info on the net whenever you research the subject.

MSE is ceratinly very straightforward, easy to use, free (love you long time ching ching, not like Avast that will eventually pester you for money) and non-invasive.

Before MSE I paid for PC Security Shield (dont ever do that) and then ran Avast. My laptop would have periods where it ran glacially slow on start-up (despite checking boxes saying I didn`t want boot checks) and the virus package would never own up in Task Manager to being the culprit but I knew all along it was at fault!

Edit: I used to run a clean-up package also, that was recommended by the good folk on TV and was excellent, but I have not been able to recall the name after my trusty Thinkpad finally crashed and burned (my fault - too slow to replace the fan) after 5 years sterling service. Any suggestions welcome.

Edited by SantiSuk

Why?

MACs are now being targeted as they have risen in market share, and people still believe they can't be infected. Yes, MACs can be infected, as is any computer attached to the web.

About the best machine to avoid being hacked is an IBM iSeries (AS400). A machine built for the financial industry with security built in.

Edited by rakman

Why?

I also use a Mac.

The topic is "How many anti virus programs do u run"

A post such as yours really is one of the underlying causes of negative sentiment towards Apple/mac users. It really servers no general good at all.