Choosing A Tablet

canuckamuck

Do you use a Windows x64 version?

I recall i read somwhere on a forum that the issue with the Phoenix suite has to do with that.

Yes I use Win7 64 bit version on my desk top.

Maybe I should try my Net book Win7 32 bit?

Thanks for the heads up, will try that tomorrow

When I check the onboard update it's says it up to date (Wi-Fi on). I checked onda's update page and I didn't get any wiser?

V972 Firmware 1.35 (ways better than 1.20)

Download: Official Site | Mega | Ya.Disk

Thanks for the links. I tried 2 of them and followed intrusions but sadly the Phoinix suite can't "see" my Onda (my pc can), have tried to uninstall and reinstall 2 times but no, the program don't see the onda.

This morning the charger for Mr Onda blew up, fxxx me, the fuse in the multi connecter power socket blew as well (15Amp I think), thankfully Mr Onda is still OK.

So out looking for a new charger (5V 2500mA) which can't be found in Pattaya, I went to about 20 shops in Tuk.com but no, Power Buy= no. I had to settle with an I-pad charger on 2100mA to 350 bath. Since I bought the tablet in BKK and live in Pattaya I couldn't be bothered with warranty, unless Mr Onda dies that is.

If you connect it via USB Hub (Like usb connectors on top or front of desktop pc case), it will not see it.

I use my laptop usb port or you can use usb connectors on backside / mainboard ports on desktop pc.

It may be usb hub look like regular usb port on your laptop, its just that dam'n thing doesn't work over usb hub connection.

on my W7/64 Desktop, the Onda is detected by the Phoenix Suit, BUT I was never able to flash an image.

I used the front USB sockets...(?)

Got some fancy, useless error messages, but I didn't investigate any further.

After all, it's working with my W7/32 Laptop without any issues.

After removing the Chinese crap and installing CWM, it's a (meanwhile) reliable device.

I hope, there will be a decent firmware out soon....

PS: I tried the "Supernova 3.0" firmware too, but found it very unresponsive and the browser needed ages to render a website.

All available firmwares inc. custom-roms for the Onda V972 - Click here (XDA-Developers)

Edited by vel_tins

I given up for the time being getting another firmware in my onda 972. I tried the rear usb ports on my desktop pc, I tried my 7/32 netbook but no cigar.

Also when I check this site, it seems like many ending up in big problems when trying upgrading the firmware.

http://www.arctablet.com/blog/forum/onda-v972/onda-v972-root-custom-firmware-v1-32/page-6/

Well to honest it's only a toy, I run a desktop pc in the office in the house with a 27" & 22" screens so the 972 is not really needed. I have hoped that I could use it out on the patio but the Wi-Fi in the onda is not good so no signal out there (my note 1 no problem).

I given up for the time being getting another firmware in my onda 972. I tried the rear usb ports on my desktop pc, I tried my 7/32 netbook but no cigar.

Also when I check this site, it seems like many ending up in big problems when trying upgrading the firmware.

http://www.arctablet.com/blog/forum/onda-v972/onda-v972-root-custom-firmware-v1-32/page-6/

Well to honest it's only a toy, I run a desktop pc in the office in the house with a 27" & 22" screens so the 972 is not really needed. I have hoped that I could use it out on the patio but the Wi-Fi in the onda is not good so no signal out there (my note 1 no problem).

Sounds like the USB driver may not be loaded properly. In the Windows Control Panel, System & Security, Device Manager do you show any USB Controller driver with a Yellow Triangle with Explanation Point which indicates the driver did not load properly/is not working properly? It's critical to get the USB driver loaded properly to make the flash software (like Phoenix) to work properly/not error-out while flashing the firmware. I had a similar problem with my V971...but after getting the USB driver to load properly (which was nothing more than me removing the improperly loaded driver and trying again until it loaded properly) everything started going smooth/uneventful in flashing.

Does anybody stock the V972 in Pattaya?

A shop in Tuk Com offered to order one for me but he wanted B9,500 so I declined.

As far as I'm aware there is no dealer in Pattaya or surroundings that stocks Onda or Ainol.

You however can order online from Digilife and will be shipped by EMS.

Or maybe Guzzi has a deal for you that you can't refuse biggrin.png

• Like 1

Well, Pib is Onda's regional sales rep for Thailand.... smile.png

Just kidding.... tongue.png

No, I couldn't be a Onda sales rep because I could never keep up with all the models Onda pumps out...I would always be trying to sell the model that just got replaced by a newer model. And I couldn't be a Onda tech rep either...once again, too many firmware updates always coming out...I would never be able to keep up with the latest firmware/software release.

But knock on wood, after getting through the battery issue I had with my V971, it's been a good machine for the money and it allowed me to learn a lot about flashing firmware, root, special Apps that require root, custom ROM, and other geek technical stuff.

BUY ONDA!!! (or not). tongue.png

I have a Galaxy Tab 8.9 inch.

The internet in my house is via a LAN cable.

My PC isn't set up to host a wireless network so I would have to buy a wireless modem to connect the Tab.

Unless one can get an adapter set up like this:

3735_830129_CNETAD02.jpg

Mini-USB-2-0-to-RJ45-LAN-Ethernet-Networ

And the Galaxy Tab can connect that way?

Anybody know if it's possible??

Edited by Almera

Probably easier and less costly to get a simple wifi router. You can find basic ones, without modem, for about 1200. Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

How about half that price for a wireless modem / router ZYXEL P-660R-T1

Probably easier and less costly to get a simple wifi router. You can find basic ones, without modem, for about 1200. Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

+1 for router, I have a D-Link to about 1000 bath, works very well and no cables go into the tablet so you can move around as you please (unless you got an Onda tablet).

you can also connect all you other stuff to the router, smart phone, Kindle reader and so on.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - I am in Phuket next week (apr 21-24/ 2013) and was planning to buy either the Archos Titanium 97 or the ChuwiV99/OndoV972. Can anyone suggest where in Phuket i should check for their availability.

Thanks

So my Ainol Nova 7, won't go past the welcome screen (basically it doesn't finish booting up)

I haven't got any software loaded for recovery. The shop wanted to send it to Bangkok over Songkran, but I really didn't want to do that.

Anything I can do myself?

• 2 weeks later...

After reading this topic from beginning to end more than once and looking at several other sites regarding tablets I finally made a choice of what to buy. I chose a model from Pipo model M8. I was about to order from one of the China mail order sites but in the last minute I discovered that the outfit in Bangkok, DigiLifeGadget sold that particular brand and model. I paid 7900 baht plus 100 baht shipping EMS to me here in Rayong.

The box arrived within a day and the process was mostly pain free. Several emails exchanged with Digilife. Their customer service was a good experience for me

On arrival the box was opened and the unit inspected to make sure the few items were in the box. Charger, USB cable and headset.

I powered up the device. It started no issues. M8 has Android 4.1.1 I noticed that the battery was down so I plugged in the charger to make a full charge the first time. As I am excited to use I started to operate the device during this charging operation. I started to notice that the touch screen functions were acting very strange and it seemed that the device was acting just plain weird. It took a bit of playing around to discover that this weirdness stopped if I unplugged the charger. As the manuals included were in Chinese no help here. Went to there web site and found a English manual but again no help.

I decided now after a few days of operating that the device functions perfectly on battery only but when the charger is plugged in the device becomes almost unusable. Slight screen touches to say flip a page of an ebook are ok or hitting a home key but anything more and the screen freaks out and anything is liable to open. Another strange function is when charging the unit must be in an "On" state. If I do a "Shutdown" and then plug in the charger the unit turns on again. I can go in to standby mode but not shutdown.

I have had the device now for a month and overall I am quite happy with my choice as it does what I need and has just the features I was looking for. But, I will say I am not pleased with this odd charging/power thing. If I knew this in the beginning I would most likely have found another tablet. There is obviously some things you cannot see when ordering based on websites info and I surely would never ask about this. It shades the device grey a bit but still I am happy with the device

I did email their support site and got a reply a few days later and this is what they said "It’s normal that it turns on when charging. This is the default function.

And you ‘d better not use the M8 when charging, even any of the electronics ."

I have since emailed them again asking if a firmware update in the future will change this operation or is this a design thing and cannot be changed.

My suspicion this was built this way and there's no going back. Very odd characteristic but for me not show stopping enough for me to look at buying another tablet.

This info is for anyone looking at Pipo products. Don't know if other models exhibit this quirk

Thank you Chicog, I was able to reboot and revert to factory settings. I lost my user data, but I had nothing of value on there anyway.

I guess I should have some sort of recovery program on the sd card. I need to look into that.

Did you look closely for a pinhole reset option? Many tablets have that somewhere on the perimeter.

After reading this topic from beginning to end more than once and looking at several other sites regarding tablets I finally made a choice of what to buy. I chose a model from Pipo model M8. I was about to order from one of the China mail order sites but in the last minute I discovered that the outfit in Bangkok, DigiLifeGadget sold that particular brand and model. I paid 7900 baht plus 100 baht shipping EMS to me here in Rayong.

The box arrived within a day and the process was mostly pain free. Several emails exchanged with Digilife. Their customer service was a good experience for me

On arrival the box was opened and the unit inspected to make sure the few items were in the box. Charger, USB cable and headset.

I powered up the device. It started no issues. M8 has Android 4.1.1 I noticed that the battery was down so I plugged in the charger to make a full charge the first time. As I am excited to use I started to operate the device during this charging operation. I started to notice that the touch screen functions were acting very strange and it seemed that the device was acting just plain weird. It took a bit of playing around to discover that this weirdness stopped if I unplugged the charger. As the manuals included were in Chinese no help here. Went to there web site and found a English manual but again no help.

I decided now after a few days of operating that the device functions perfectly on battery only but when the charger is plugged in the device becomes almost unusable. Slight screen touches to say flip a page of an ebook are ok or hitting a home key but anything more and the screen freaks out and anything is liable to open. Another strange function is when charging the unit must be in an "On" state. If I do a "Shutdown" and then plug in the charger the unit turns on again. I can go in to standby mode but not shutdown.

I have had the device now for a month and overall I am quite happy with my choice as it does what I need and has just the features I was looking for. But, I will say I am not pleased with this odd charging/power thing. If I knew this in the beginning I would most likely have found another tablet. There is obviously some things you cannot see when ordering based on websites info and I surely would never ask about this. It shades the device grey a bit but still I am happy with the device

I did email their support site and got a reply a few days later and this is what they said "It’s normal that it turns on when charging. This is the default function.

I have since emailed them again asking if a firmware update in the future will change this operation or is this a design thing and cannot be changed.

My suspicion this was built this way and there's no going back. Very odd characteristic but for me not show stopping enough for me to look at buying another tablet.

This info is for anyone looking at Pipo products. Don't know if other models exhibit this quirk

My Onda V971 acts in a similar way if trying to use it while its charging...that is, glitches/streaks briefly and intermittingly appearing on the screen...just enough to bother you. But using it on battery there are no screen glitches/streaks.

Plus, if using it while charging the charge rate is not enough to offset/exceed the discharge rate as I expect the various charging rates built into the firmware control the charge rate based on charge status. Discharge rate is usually around 600 to 1200 milliamps depending on what app you are using...screen brightness...is Wifi turned on....etc. If the battery is pretty close to being fully charged it will charge at a slow rate as battery chargers tapper off the charge rate once the battery reaches approx. a 90% charge rate. If the battery is fairly well charged the charge rate will most likely be lower than the higher discharge rate....so the battery continue to discharge but at a slower rate. Now I expect once the battery discharges to a certain low charge status the firmware might allow a charge rate that exceeds the discharge rate...but when the dust settles you probably would never be able to fully charge/reach 100% if using the tablet while plugged into the charger. I know I couldn't with my Onda V971....my Onda takes approx. 4.5hrs to charge from 0 to 100% using the wall charger....but if I tried to charge from 0 to 100% while also using the tablet it would probably take until the end of time (or longer) to reach 100%. The Onda instructions say to only charge with the tablet turned off and using the 2000ma wall charger...trying to charge the tablet's 6000ma battery with the 500ma output of a USB port would take over 12 hours...probably 14-16 hrs when accounting for battery charge efficiency

I expect a lot of lower cost tablets (my Onda V971 cost me B6590 in Nov 12) have this charging characteristic...that is, only charge while turned off and best to charge using the wall charger. Based on my tablet use habits, not being able to use the tablet while charging is not a issue. However, but, the higher cost tablets like the Samsung Note 10.1 will charge while using them...from what I noticed from the little bit my wife lets me use her Samsung tablet.

As FYI, in this tread I reported the several Onda Jelly Bean 4.1.1 versions I had tried for several days and most recently a custom JB 4.1.2 that I run over a month. In each case I reverted to the Onda ICS 4.0.3 primary due to battery usage (higher discharge/usage rate when running JB) and last week the custom JB version developed an issue not allowing the battery to full charge...it would only charge to 90-92% usually and ocassionally to 100%. Tried several other chargers, charging cable, battery calibration apps, and Factory Reset to fix this charging issue but no joy. Reflashed the Onda ICS 4.0.3 and the battery is charging to 100% each and every time again. Plus, "if", repeat "if" the Antutu and Quadrant Standard benchmark apps are correct my Onda runs approx. 20% faster on ICS compared to JB....maybe when it was being designed it was designed/optimized for ICS.

Onda has released its newest model, the V973 which is finding its way to online and brick-and-mortar stores. Don't know if any have found their way to Thai stores yet. This link gives specs in English and then a bunch of pictures/Chinese text. Link . This link says the battery is 8500ma although other websites say 8000ma.

Also don't know if they come factory/pre-rooted or not like many other Onda tablet models came...like my V971...but I don't think the V972 came rooted. The Onda website is www.onda.cn but be sure to have Google Translate turned on.

I think the only difference between the V973 and V972 is the V973 is thinner.

My V972 is sitting somewhere in my office in the house unused, hmm I better look for it tomorrow.

Not the most well spend 8000 bath.whistling.gif

If somebody in Pattaya wants to buy one, send me a PM.

Edited by guzzi850m2

My V972 is sitting somewhere in my office in the house unused, hmm I better look for it tomorrow.

Will the selling price be calculated based on the weight ? biggrin.png

Will the selling price be calculated based on the weight ? biggrin.png

I am not trying very hard to sell it, it's only here I put it up, but as I said I don't really use it anymore.

Based on weight, no.

Just use a better quality, EMI shielded 5V 2Amp USB charger (like iPad charger) and you will not have this problem again, ever.

Just use a better quality, EMI shielded 5V 2Amp USB charger (like iPad charger) and you will not have this problem again, ever.

I seriously doubt it....while it might provide a minutely cleaner 5V DC I think it just the design of some tablets in that they are meant to run off battery power. I sure know I tried 4-6 chargers I had laying around...like chargers that come with Samsung smartphones, a Samsung Note 10.1 tablet 2A charger, the Onda tablet 2A charger, an Apple 1A charger, etc.....none of the chargers helped my tablet situation

My onda v972 has a message saying kuwomusic has stopped, and a button to press OK i press this button but nothing happens so it is stopping me accessing the tablet, how do i remove and get back into the Tablet?, thanks in advance. nev

Still cannot get into the tablet, is the small hole on the tablet for reset? and do you just put a pin in? sorry for so many questions just want to sort out or it goes back to digilife when i am back in bkk on 9th may.

I don't have a V972 (I have a V971) but the attached V972 picture shows the reset hole. I expect you power on the tablet and then use something like a straighten paperclip to stick into the reset hole. This basically does a Factory Reset.

post-55970-0-02319100-1367226058_thumb.j

Something else that might work so you can attempt a "Reboot System" or "Factory Reset" is to press both the Home and Power buttons, continue to hold them down until you see the white robot, then release them. After a few more seconds you should see the Green Robot and shortly after that you should be in the Recovery Menu where you could select the Reboot System or Factory Reset. Use the Home button to select either Reboot System or Factory Reset and then press the Power buttion to initiate the selection.

I would first try the Reboot System as you won't lose any data in a reboot. If that don't help then I expect you will have to select the Factory Reset which will take you back to minute one of buying the tablet...it basically wipes you data and reloads the firmware just like it came out of the factory or from the last firmware flash/upgrade...does the same thing as pushing the Reset Button as far as I know.

Good luck

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1