Things To Do For Fun In Isaan

ivan96822

No - there is nothing like what you want in Issaan. Best to stay in Patts.

Why the unfriendly reply? Do you own Thailand and want to keep away those not worthy of you?

The OP has asked for simple advise and direction. If you can't give it why not just not reply?

Please give him a break and relax with a chill pill.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read post #26,

"I might say beware of the Thai 'hostess' bars... while the girls are typically infinitely better looking than those that make their way into the farrang bar industry in BKK... bills can get expensive"

"Please clarify as to where they sell a 400 baht bottle of Chang."

You wont know the place, however there will be people on here know where I am referring to.

If you go to Harleys Bar in Prasat, look right across the road at the Thai place, thats where they serve 400 baht Changs.

Where you choose to socialize will determine the prices you pay, your problem is you dont know where to go or what to expect.

In order, upscale Thai hostess bars, karaoke joints, knocking shops, clip joits or whatever other various nom de plume they go by. Hotel bar and discos, farang bars, local Thai bars.

I tend to use local Thai bars, large Leos can be had for 60 baht, in some farang bars that will be 90 baht.

A bottle of Thai whisky (Sang Som or Blend ) about 350-400 baht plus mixers and ice in a Thai place.

Up to you.

Why the unfriendly reply? Do you own Thailand and want to keep away those not worthy of you?

The OP has asked for simple advise and direction. If you can't give it why not just not reply?

I have known some guys get embarrassed by previous customers recognizing their wives.

Read post #26,

"I might say beware of the Thai 'hostess' bars... while the girls are typically infinitely better looking than those that make their way into the farrang bar industry in BKK... bills can get expensive"

You wont know the place, however there will be people on here know where I am referring to.

If you go to Harleys Bar in Prasat, look right across the road at the Thai place, thats where they serve 400 baht Changs.

Where you choose to socialize will determine the prices you pay, your problem is you dont know where to go or what to expect.

In order, upscale Thai hostess bars, karaoke joints, knocking shops, clip joits or whatever other various nom de plume they go by. Hotel bar and discos, farang bars, local Thai bars.

I tend to use local Thai bars, large Leos can be had for 60 baht, in some farang bars that will be 90 baht.

A bottle of Thai whisky (Sang Som or Blend ) about 350-400 baht plus mixers and ice in a Thai place.

Up to you.

"Your problem is you don't know where to go or what to expect."

Yes, I do know where to go, and what to expect: I go to the 7-11 for my signature two bottles of Chang for 85 baht rather than play stupid falang and pay 400 baht for a dam_n brew. I know to expect people holding their hand out for me to give them money, and I know that I am the last son of a bitch that would hand that over.

I do admit that my experience in Isaan is highly limited and admit that I only know about it from what I have read and/or heard from from those who have lived/visited there before.

And to those who are willingly going to Harley's Bar in Prasat, get your head out of the clouds. You want to spend money like that in a third world country? Please.

Thanks for the condescension, but I'll wait for some more positive feedback. After all, I'm inquiring about a potential trip to Isaan, not to "hang tough" or "look cool" in front of a bunch of 48 year old foreigners who are chasing eighteen year old Thai girls with Thai baht falling out of their pockets.

ohmy.png

Edited by ivan96822

^^^^^^, you have either missunderstood or perhaps I didnt explain clearly, the problem isnt Harleys bar, its THE THAI PLACE opposite that charges 400 baht for a chang.

You asked where I, I mentioned where.

I would also advise boycotting "Soi Cola" in Surin.

Head for KK, plenty of decent places and girls to be found.

Must admit I've never met "eighteen year old Thai girls with Thai baht falling out of their pockets"

I did a tour of Issan and spent a couple of night in most of the towns on up through Surin and then up and around korat, Kohn Kaen and then back down to BKK. Took around a month as I spent more time in the bigger cities. It was a blast. I went with a friend of mind and made a point to find the night spots in every town.

Don't want to make an overly long post so I'll just be blunt and brief. Issan girls go crazy for foreign guys. Every town we went to was the same. Go to bar mobbed by girls. Some spoke zero Thai so it helped that I speak enough in both thai and Issan dialect to communicate. But they literally mob you. Funny thing is the guys don't mind so much because they just want to chill with their friends and drink.

The women will party with you all night and then go back to your room with the hopes that you will remember them later.

I did a tour of Issan and spent a couple of night in most of the towns on up through Surin and then up and around korat, Kohn Kaen and then back down to BKK. Took around a month as I spent more time in the bigger cities. It was a blast. I went with a friend of mind and made a point to find the night spots in every town.

Don't want to make an overly long post so I'll just be blunt and brief. Issan girls go crazy for foreign guys. Every town we went to was the same. Go to bar mobbed by girls. Some spoke zero Thai so it helped that I speak enough in both thai and Issan dialect to communicate. But they literally mob you. Funny thing is the guys don't mind so much because they just want to chill with their friends and drink.

The women will party with you all night and then go back to your room with the hopes that you will remember them later.

Well yep that is quite normal. You ever buy a lottery ticket ?. Same same here. One hopes to be a winner. thumbsup.gif

Read post #26,

Up to you.

Yes, I do know where to go, and what to expect: I go to the 7-11 for my signature two bottles of Chang for 85 baht rather than play stupid falang and pay 400 baht for a dam_n brew. I know to expect people holding their hand out for me to give them money, and I know that I am the last son of a bitch that would hand that over.

I do admit that my experience in Isaan is highly limited and admit that I only know about it from what I have read and/or heard from from those who have lived/visited there before.

And to those who are willingly going to Harley's Bar in Prasat, get your head out of the clouds. You want to spend money like that in a third world country? Please.

Thanks for the condescension, but I'll wait for some more positive feedback. After all, I'm inquiring about a potential trip to Isaan, not to "hang tough" or "look cool" in front of a bunch of 48 year old foreigners who are chasing eighteen year old Thai girls with Thai baht falling out of their pockets.

ohmy.png

Nice attitude Ivan - glad I and others bothered to post anything up,aiming to help, when you asked for it...

Enjoy Issan, I hope it goes as well as you deserve...

• Like 1

I never thought i would ask about Isaan, but,

is there any sparsely populated place with a plastic chair, a 7/11, and a university there ?

More specifically no traffic jam !

Edited by poanoi

Issans a massive bit of the country.

Major cities and approx 22million people.

You make it sound like its a small town.

So whats there to do in Issan?.....a <deleted> load....enjoywai2.gif

ps, Issan craps all over Bangkok, real culture, real people, great clubs/pubs, foods better, and all cheaper.

Edited by krisb
  • Like 1

I go weight training, play snooker and get invited to loads of Thai folk and farang parties. thumbsup.gif

Also help any folk with a problem via the Tourist police and talk with you lot. smile.png

... and charges desperate Farang to use his toilet ... tongue.png

... it's a long story ... whistling.gif

• Like 1

Isaan is a shit hole, keep away, we want to keep this place for ourselves. I didn't like it too much at first but the longer I am here, the more I like it. Stay in charming Pattaya and peaceful Bangkok, you'll feel in your element there.

I have known some guys get embarrassed by previous customers recognizing their wives.

Thanks.

That might be what's bothering some of the negative posters here. I hadn't considered that.

"Never come across anywhere in Issan that doesn't have some kind of action."

What do you mean? That you always have some type of "Action" with local Isaan girls? That i/other falang can expect attention too while in Isaan?Please clarify.

Thanks.

What he means is that EVERYWHERE in Thailand, FUN is there to be had. Just look for the "christmas lights" outside the venue. However, when up-country, a command of Thai--or, even better, Lao--is helpful, and at sometimes REQUIRED. Don't get in over your head if you're just an occasional tourist.

Okay, those in the know have chimed in and I have additional questions:

One, don't call me a Cheap Charlie, but I can hardly complain about prices in BKK. Two of the big bottles of Chang for 85 baht sounds fine to me, but to knit-pick, what would they go for up there in Isaan? Is there a local Isaan drink of choice, by the way?

Two, I have no problem taking a girl out and spending quality time with her. I am always very relieved when this happens in Bangkok and the next morning, I walk her to a cab with a quick kiss and a hug and she goes off WITHOUT ASKING FOR MONEY and additionally providing her phone number. Can I expect this situation to be a regular practice, or will the girls who I am hanging out with in Isaan be expecting monetary transactions for "time" with me?

Three, this is a minor issue, but are there decent internet services and/or internet cafes?

Thanks.

I'm not sure if you have already stated whether you can speak Thai or not.

If you go out with an English speaking Thai girl in Isaan, then there is a high probability that she learnt her English when servicing farangs in the bars.

If so, she will expect to be paid.

Read post #26,

Up to you.

ohmy.png

You forgot to mention that the biggest majority of these 48 year old foreigners are actually 60 odd year old grossly overweight, tattooed, ugly, flesh exposing simmet wearing foreigners.

Read post #26,

Up to you.

ohmy.png

You forgot to mention that the biggest majority of these 48 year old foreigners are actually 60 odd year old grossly overweight, tattooed, ugly, flesh exposing simmet wearing foreigners.

I agree mate....I've always considered myself a handsome devil, but get into Thailand and my ego goes through the roof.

I speak no Thai whatsoever...

I am relying on my handsome good looks and my gift for the gab to navigate tongue.png

What about the money? That's more important to most Thai girls than your handsome good looks. I spent some time with two Isaan girls before I came to Thailand to stay, I also have not bad looks and am slim, but the first thing those girls wanted was money, so I got rid of both of them.

I speak no Thai whatsoever...

I am relying on my handsome good looks and my gift for the gab to navigate tongue.png

If you have a "Gift for the Gab", it will be absolutely USELESS if your gift does not include Thai or Lao language.

I don't pretend to be fluent in Thai, but even when I speak with English teachers, we end up using Thai because my Thai is so much better than their English.

If you think that you can travel around Isaan alone, without a Thai speaking guide, you cannot.

Not Isaan, I know, but when I was living in the north of Thailand, had a German woman come and visit with her Thai toyboy. This German woman had a very high opinion of herself and when getting into an argument with her "boyfriend", threatened to get a taxi and leave.

I asked her if she knew the telephone number of an English or German speaking Taxi firm, or if she could explain where she was. Does she know where to go to get a bus outta here? Does she even know where she is right now?

She burst into tears when she realised her situation. She was totally dependant on her "boyfriend"

If you are travelling around Thailand, learn enough of the language so that you are able to get by without relying on somebody else

Okay, those in the know have chimed in and I have additional questions:

One, don't call me a Cheap Charlie, but I can hardly complain about prices in BKK. Two of the big bottles of Chang for 85 baht sounds fine to me, but to knit-pick, what would they go for up there in Isaan? Is there a local Isaan drink of choice, by the way?

Two, I have no problem taking a girl out and spending quality time with her. I am always very relieved when this happens in Bangkok and the next morning, I walk her to a cab with a quick kiss and a hug and she goes off WITHOUT ASKING FOR MONEY and additionally providing her phone number. Can I expect this situation to be a regular practice, or will the girls who I am hanging out with in Isaan be expecting monetary transactions for "time" with me?

Three, this is a minor issue, but are there decent internet services and/or internet cafes?

Thanks.

^^^^^.

In some Thai places a large Chang will cost you 400 baht.

Issan drink of choice, lao kao, 10 baht a shot (bek neung) from your local mom n pop shop.

Normal decent Issan girls usually live with their parents and wont be out galavanting round town.

University towns are somewhat different.

All depends where you and the girl meet, but yes chances are she will want some sort of financial compensation for her time.

Final question, yes.

400 baht? What, at an upscale club in Bangkok? The most I ever pay in BKK is 85 baht for two bottles. Surely, they can't be that expensive in Isaan. Please clarify as to where they sell a 400 baht bottle of Chang...

Do not let all the girls who live in Esarn know Charlie is coming. Friendly advice.

If you have never been there before you have to go and enjoy. I hope you will be ok.

If you think that you can travel around Isaan alone, without a Thai speaking guide, you cannot.

Very true. Best advice would be to stay in one of the major cities. Khorat, Udon, Khon Kaen, Ubon, etc. You will be okay there, and there will be things to do. Out in a random village, you would be completely lost. I don't even know how you would be able to end up in a random village anyways.

I appreciate the concern that some folks have for my plight, not that I deserve it or even want it.

Some state that without knowledge of the Thai language, I will be lost or incapable of functioning as an adult.

That said, I don't think that one would have to ingratiate and/or immerse oneself in a language to merely visit a place for a limited amount of time. I think that if one were to go to Brazil, Germany, China, or India, one could get by without having to learn the dialect of each specific country.

• Like 1

I appreciate the concern that some folks have for my plight, not that I deserve it or even want it.

Some state that without knowledge of the Thai language, I will be lost or incapable of functioning as an adult.

That said, I don't think that one would have to ingratiate and/or immerse oneself in a language to merely visit a place for a limited amount of time. I think that if one were to go to Brazil, Germany, China, or India, one could get by without having to learn the dialect of each specific country.

I've been here a while and can't speak the lingo and l get on great. intheclub.gif

Most LOS folk who went to school learn a little English thumbsup.gif . I was never taught Thai at my UK school. smile.png