Is It Safe To Live In A House Anywhere In Pattaya?

I realise this may fall into the stupid question category but I will ask anyway. I currently reside in a condo in Jomtien but would like to live in a house in Pattaya. Are there any housing villages that have a good track record for safety in any location in Pattaya? Appreciate any input.

If its security you are worried about, stay in a Condo, it's much more secure.

any cries for help will be muffled by the 24/7 general noise in a condo.

Our condo on Wong Amart isn't that bad actually, mind you, many units are only occupied in the peak months, German Swiss condo management, seems to work quite well, as a Brit I feel like an outsider as its mostly Germans, Swiss, Austrians that are resident, but I like that style of management, correct and precise, nice neighbors too, always bring me some Liqueur Chocolates from the Fatherland, lovely.

Now I wish that they would hurry the <deleted> up and finish building the new condo going up in front of ours so I can get some peace !!! laugh.png

They are not safe, small cramped condo's are better.

i can confirm that. we live since more than six years in a village with homes who sit on land minimum one Rai, id est not really cramped.

not six months pass that we are not robbed at gunpoint or threatened with Samurai swords... and only last year i was murdered twice.

whistling.gif

Now you are bragging again.

If its security you are worried about, stay in a Condo, it's much more secure.

any cries for help will be muffled by the 24/7 general noise in a condo.

Fewer people climbing the walls to get in though.

smile.png

Yeah, they are usually just climbing the walls with boredom!!

i can confirm that. we live since more than six years in a village with homes who sit on land minimum one Rai, id est not really cramped.

not six months pass that we are not robbed at gunpoint or threatened with Samurai swords... and only last year i was murdered twice.

whistling.gif

Now you are bragging again.

touché! i admit i was only murdered once dry.png

I have lived on the dark side near lake Maphrachan for.almost two years and never felt unsafe. The Thais in the area are very nice plus I ride a bicycle 30 to 50 Km around this area almost everyday with no problems and many times half my ride is at night. I must admit with the not to recent reports of Thais attacking farang bicycle riders I do get a little nervous when I hear or see a pickup approaching but so far nothing has happened. I understand they caught the guys that where attacking riders and stealing their bicycles. It has been my experience no matter where you are in the world is if you get to know and take care of those who live and work close to your house they will take care of you....

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

My condo has great security. Sixty square meters is certainly not huge but with a separate bedroom, it suits my wife and I. I really don't want to live in a house because I learned my lesson in Bangkok. I lived in a gated community and we were broken into and robbed twice in three years. Both times were when we were gone for a few days. I suspect that security was involved.

I doubt that Pattaya would be any better than Bangkok and maybe worse. If you are like Naam and can afford to have staff on the property 24/7 it would likely be OK.

Small cramped condos are certainly safer than houses as regards burglaries (when was the last time anyone heard of a burglary in a decent condo building?), but large spacious condos are even better. There are plenty of of condos here that are larger than many houses. The largest condo I've seen here had over 300m (excluding the large balconies), and included an entire smaller 1-bed unit for a maid, and two kitchens (one indoor and one open-air). Many houses dont even come close. And it had a nice view, which hardly any house in Pattaya has.

a good and well trained Dog will make your House safer than many other additional electronic Devices

I beg to differ. My Thai brother in law had two good dogs. Both were poisoned. He and his wife returned home before the burglars had a chance to break in but losing their family pets was not pleasant either.

• Like 1

It all depends of your personal situation I guess.

You get a lot more m2 for your money in a house and if you have a kid like me, you really want a house.

We were out looking at apartments (just for looking, checking the market) and had a look at at condo in view talay 5C, 96m2

corner unit, stunning views 8.6 mill bath (Thai owner), my house is roughly 2-3 times that size at about same price,

and despite the views in the condo, I prefer my garden any day.

Safety, well that another story, I well pretty safe in my village (app 100 houses), guards in each end and

they patrol the moo baan in the night. I am not so sure about a condo some of them are very big and how

do you know the good guys from the bad, so for me its house any day (family man).

If I was living alone I would most likely been living i a condo somewhere but thankfully I got a family.

Now lets us not get into the discussing about ownership, we all know the foreigners can't own land here

so lets keep it at that.

• Like 1

If you are like Naam and can afford to have staff on the property 24/7 it would likely be OK.

Maybe. I've seen plenty of news reports here about staff robbing their employers, sometimes violently.

Not with a reputable firm. Chubb, G4S, etc. Have never had an issue (as in with punctuality, staying awake through their shifts, being polite with friends and guests.... I'll even get rid of a guard that isn't courteous with tourists asking directions.... much less issues with them violently robbing us or any of our properties) with either... as if you do complain, they are pretty quick to get rid of the problematic employee.

:)

Maybe. I've seen plenty of news reports here about staff robbing their employers, sometimes violently.

Not with a reputable firm. Chubb, G4S, etc. Have never had an issue (as in with punctuality, staying awake through their shifts, being polite with friends and guests.... I'll even get rid of a guard that isn't courteous with tourists asking directions.... much less issues with them violently robbing us or any of our properties) with either... as if you do complain, they are pretty quick to get rid of the problematic employee.

Do many people get their domestic live-in help from firms? I get the impression that most dont and hire them directly, though village guards will presumably all be from security firms, like the ones that guard my condo.

I suppose some people might employ several servants from agencies on a 24/7 basis, thus getting some of the advantages you mention, but I cant say that I would want to live like that.

Do many people get their domestic live-in help from firms? I get the impression that most dont and hire them directly, though village guards will presumably all be from security firms, like the ones that guard my condo.

I suppose some people might employ several servants from agencies on a 24/7 basis, thus getting some of the advantages you mention, but I cant say that I would want to live like that.

I'm not sure what the numbers are as I'm not privy to that data. For security, we use those firms, for other household staff, we hire them through word of mouth like anyone else, some with us for the 2nd generation (if not a direct descendant of an elder housekeeper, a relative somehow). I grew up without any household help (and not in Thailand), not including a once or twice a week commuting housekeeper so it took some getting used to the extra eyes and ears all over the place as a lot of households are over here. Over time you get used to managing your 'in house' privacy and boundaries. Overall it's well worth not having to do much of the 'busy work' that you or other family members would have to do otherwise without help.

smile.png

Edited by Heng

Reading this makes me realize how lucky I am to live in Chiang Rai. Haven't locked my gate or any doors for over 4 years and never ever even a hint of a problem. I would refuse to live in a place where i had to have bars on the windows...did that once and felt like i was in prison.

If you are like Naam and can afford to have staff on the property 24/7 it would likely be OK.

having domestic staff is considerably less dangerous than participating in Thailand's traffic. and the chance getting assaulted, robbed or burglared by strangers is infinitely higher than experiencing the same from the staff you employ. anybody who doesn't realise this is living in a dream world.

• Like 1

having domestic staff is considerably less dangerous than participating in Thailand's traffic. and the chance getting assaulted, robbed or burglared by strangers is infinitely higher than experiencing the same from the staff you employ. anybody who doesn't realise this is living in a dream world.

I dont see what traffic has to do with it. Having domestic staff is probably less dangerous than using jetskis or going mountain climbing also, but equally irrelevant.

And of course when living in a condo the chance of getting assaulted, robbed or burgled by someone that you didnt invite into your unit yourself is close to zero, which is the whole point. Living in houses here is potentially quite dangerous, as is made clear by the number of house owners who consider it necessary to have staff 24/7, bars on windows, locked gates, alarms, dogs, video cameras, razor wire, walls with sharp pointy things on etc. etc., as well as having security guards at the entrance to their village.

I see no need to have any of these extras in a condo here, nor did I have any of them where I lived in Europe.