The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

Perhaps someone would be kind enough to recommend  a good indian, chinese restaurant and somewhere to get a good English breakfast in central Pattaya....thanks

There isn't much for Chinese in Central Pattaya. You might try funky Grandma's kitchen near Boyztown same soi as Delhi Darbar off 2nd road and also struggling Jingcheng upstairs at the Avenue mall. Go up the escalator one floor and turn right.

https://m.facebook.com/JingChengSeafood.Pattaya/

Limited English at both but Jingcheng is more accessible and most Anglos will probably not feel comfortable at Grandma's.

Indian there are so many. What style of Indian are you looking for?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, carmine said:

Perhaps someone would be kind enough to recommend  a good indian, chinese restaurant and somewhere to get a good English breakfast in central Pattaya....thanks

I will recommend The Swan for breakfast on Soi 13/1 also known as Soi Yamoto. 189 Baht for very big brekkie with OJ and tea or coffee with refill.

Edited by champers
  • Like 1

Breakfast - Retox Soi Lengkee 99 baht Bahtbuster.  Casa Pascal on 2nd Road across from Royal Garden.  I hear I-Rovers in LK Metro is good.  

Indian - I have yet to have good Indian in Pattaya.  Unbelievable given the amount of restaurants.

Chinese - hardly any.  I go to Corner House bar all the way in Jomtien.  Only place I know with Hong Kong style Chinese.  That's how dire it is in Central Pattaya.

Edited by AlexCanada
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AlexCanada said:

Chinese - hardly any.  I go to Corner House bar all the way in Jomtien.  That's how dire it is in Central Pattaya.

Sounds like you're talking about Western style Chinese. Did he ask for that? I gave him two reasonably decent options for actual Chinese in Central Pattaya.

BTW, I do not recommend Taiwan restaurant on 2nd road in South Pattaya. First of all they don't really have much actual Taiwanese food and secondly in that price class and setting, Grandma's is much better (as they do in house made noodles and dumplings).

Another Chinese option that is central enough is the Chinese place on Pattaya Klang going towards 3rd road on the south side, not very far from 3rd road. They seem to doing better business than Jingcheng. Similar style food and prices (including Sichuan and Hunan dishes).

Edited by Jingthing

10 minutes ago, AlexCanada said:

Sorry I was editing my post as you posted.  I added Hong Kong style chinese.  

Corner Bar actually has Hong Kong style Chinese or do you mean British style Chinese? 

In any case, food tastes are subjective but the overall Chinese food scene in greater Pattaya is tons better than it was five years ago. 

There is also the Singapore chain BBQ meats place in front of Avenue Mall. I was just there last night for soy sauce chicken w/ hor fun, excellent chili sambal, world class char sui pork, and Thai style crispy tofu. 10 percent off coupons available in a cabinet as you walk in (now you know). 

In Jomtien the "Chinatown" restaurant on Tappraya in front of the Jomtien Complex continues to improve. Quirky place but friendly prices and they keep adding things including house made noodles and dumplings. 

Edited by Jingthing

54 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

There is also the Singapore chain BBQ meats place in front of Avenue Mall. I was just there last night for soy sauce chicken w/ hor fun, excellent chili sambal, world class char sui pork, and Thai style crispy tofu. 10 percent off coupons available in a cabinet as you walk in (now you know). 

Hawker Chan on Beach Road in front of Royal Garden?  I was at Hawker Chan today.  I go often.  I get the char siu hor fun but I also get the soy sauce chicken as well.  Michelin star restaurant for 120 baht.  Can't beat that. 

Or are you talking about Firepork in front of Avenue?  Tried to go to Firepork once when it first opened.  My buddies and I walked out since the music was so loud we couldn't hear ourselves talk, and I'm not one opposed to loud music.

Ok you're right.  Corner Bar is more Western style but it is the ONLY restaurant I know that makes sweet and sour pork somewhat crispy in a deep red sticky sauce like they would in Canada and Hong Kong (not sure why I can't attach a photo).  Beef tenderloin on hot plate is decent there too.

Edited by AlexCanada
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AlexCanada said:

Hawker Chan on Beach Road in front of Royal Garden?  I was at Hawker Chan today.  I go often.  I get the char siu hor fun but I also get the soy sauce chicken as well.  Michelin star restaurant for 120 baht.  Can't beat that. 

Or are you talking about Firepork in front of Avenue?  Tried to go to Firepork once when it first opened.  My buddies and I walked out since the music was so loud we couldn't hear ourselves talk, and I'm not one opposed to loud music.

Ok you're right.  Corner Bar is more Western style but it is the ONLY restaurant I know that makes sweet and sour pork somewhat crispy in a deep red sticky sauce like they would in Canada and Hong Kong (not sure why I can't attach a photo).  Beef tenderloin on hot plate is decent there too.

Sorry I spaced out! Of course I meant the Hawker Chan place in front of Royal Garden. Thanks for the correction. It's a welcome addition to the local scene. Their business seems a bit slow though so I hope they make it. 

I'm not big on sweet and sour dishes, but the picture of the sweet and sour pork on the menu at Jingcheng looks like it might do it for you.

Edited by Jingthing

Hawker Chan is doing poorly.
Sizzler packed no one in HC.
Too bad, it is very good.
I think they would be better off dumping that location and moving into the new T21 as they are in BKK.
Well when I've been there have always been some customers. Obviously the response isn't what they were planning for. There's an entire seating section of the place that appears to always be blocked off. I kind of get why it's not popular with Thais as similar food to Thai tastes is much cheaper as local street food but I did think overall they would have been more popular here.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 6/9/2018 at 9:11 AM, bkk6060 said:

Hawker Chan is doing poorly.

Sizzler packed no one in HC.

Too bad, it is very good.

I think they would be better off dumping that location and moving into the new T21 as they are in BKK.

I asked and they are definitely moving to T21 once it opens around October. Went in for dinner and I had queue number like 20, if that's the whole number of customers they had all day it's not doing good.

The one in Bangkok's doing fine with tourist and locals, Royal Garden is a strange location now, lots of foot traffic on the beach but no spending, most of the restaurants on the beach front there didn't take, Bon Chon Chicken, and even McDonald's moved out, KFC there is doing poorly, Pizza Hut outside and McDonald's that's moved up the road from there seem to do better. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, digbeth said:

I asked and they are definitely moving to T21 once it opens around October. Went in for dinner and I had queue number like 20, if that's the whole number of customers they had all day it's not doing good.

The one in Bangkok's doing fine with tourist and locals, Royal Garden is a strange location now, lots of foot traffic on the beach but no spending, most of the restaurants on the beach front there didn't take, Bon Chon Chicken, and even McDonald's moved out, KFC there is doing poorly, Pizza Hut outside and McDonald's that's moved up the road from there seem to do better. 

Really liked Bon Chon. Have they opened elsewhere? If not I'll have to get my fill on Bangkok trips I guess. 

In Bangkok this week so I had to try Hawker Chan and the new Marugame Udon in Terminal 21, 5th floor.  Marugame Udon tastes the same but the main difference is that it's 159 baht in T21 vs. 99 baht for the large Niku Udon in Pattaya.  The Marugame Udon at Mega Bangna mall in Bangkok is 99 baht for the large Niku Udon, same as Pattaya.  Both Mega Bangna and Pattaya restaurants are in a food park vs. T21 in a restaurant.  I wish the food park versions would carry the gyoza and chicken karaage sides for 39 baht.

Hawker Chan's BBQ pork rice noodle in the Pattaya definitely tastes better than the Bangkok T21 restaurant.  100 baht in Pattaya vs. 110 baht in T21.

• Like 1

Didn't even notice the price difference for different format Marugome Udon, I think they have discount cards for the restaurant format. but Pattaya could really do with a proper Marugome restaurant format with more variety in menu, I think they're coming with Terminal 21

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AlexCanada said:

In Bangkok this week so I had to try Hawker Chan and the new Marugame Udon in Terminal 21, 5th floor.  Marugame Udon tastes the same but the main difference is that it's 159 baht in T21 vs. 99 baht for the large Niku Udon in Pattaya.  The Marugame Udon at Mega Bangna mall in Bangkok is 99 baht for the large Niku Udon, same as Pattaya.  Both Mega Bangna and Pattaya restaurants are in a food park vs. T21 in a restaurant.  I wish the food park versions would carry the gyoza and chicken karaage sides for 39 baht.

Hawker Chan's BBQ pork rice noodle in the Pattaya definitely tastes better than the Bangkok T21 restaurant.  100 baht in Pattaya vs. 110 baht in T21.

Some people care about more then the price of everything.

You want 39 b?  Sure, it would be better if it were 20.

It is about restaurants reviews, not just price.

Any information about the service, portions, or quality of food??

4 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Some people care about more then the price of everything.

You want 39 b?  Sure, it would be better if it were 20.

It is about restaurants reviews, not just price.

Any information about the service, portions, or quality of food??

We're talking chain restaurants bordering on quick service/fast food here, so it's fair to say they all taste the same, service not existent/not expected,

4 minutes ago, digbeth said:

We're talking chain restaurants bordering on quick service/fast food here, so it's fair to say they all taste the same, service not existent/not expected,

Seriously??

They are not Burger King....

I bet most people have no idea about these places some description of the food would be nice.

Edited by bkk6060

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, gaff said:

New Pattaya cheap Vietnamese steak and sandwich.

Someone here was talking about opening a sandwich shop , and Vietnamese Banh Mi sandwiches was mentioned.  Now we have one , so that's another welcome addition to the food choices here. 

I wonder if they taste the same as the one I had in Hanoi?  Only one way to find out. 

• Like 1

Sankalp South Indian Vegetarian restaurant

2nd Road, across from Royal Garden Mall

This is a VERY FAMOUS chain from India. Now in Pattaya. 

Well known for their large variety of DOSAS and quality CHUTNEYS, but they have a full south Indian vegetarian menu as well.

For people that like South Indian vegetarian food, this is exciting.

I think it is first Sankalp in Thailand. 

It's very new and they aren't fully in gear yet, so you might want to wait a few weeks as there are a few menu items they are still waiting on stuff from India to do, but it's already quite good.

They will efficiently make your food bland or extra spicy as you like.

I've been three times already trying different things.

A fancy vegetarian biryani with a bread baked on top of it. 220

Thali 199

Chettinad style vegetable dosa (under 200)

All the food has been excellent. 

Company link --

http://www.sankalponline.com/

http://www.sankalponline.com/menu.aspx

Review from their Atlanta location (two locations in the USA) --

https://www.myajc.com/entertainment/dining/review-sankalp-imports-dosas-decatur/Th9DiIQP5gBEeJxUV0o1JL/

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

Just now, champers said:

An article in today's Bangkok Post's business section states that Taco Bell will be entering the chain restaurant market in Thailand in the last quarter of this year. No details regarding locations yet.

Cool, if this was the U.S. I would never go there, but here that would be almost OK fake "Mexican" food.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Restaurant Mystery?!?

The famous Hopf Brew House on Pattaya beach road not far from Royal Garden is renamed to Hops Brew House. I think a similar menu as before.

http://hopsbrewhouse.co.th/หน้าหลัก.html

That isn't the mystery so much.

Remember years back now the Hopf Brew House was going to open a new location on Thappraya on the hill towards Jomtien and they posted a big sign -- OPENING SOON.

Still not open. Will it ever be? There's your mystery. 

It's funny that OPENING SOON doesn't really mean anything in these parts.