The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

1 minute ago, janclaes47 said:

but nobody simply closes something that is doing well.

I agree , but that's what he said on FB.   Let's hope he saved up some money first . 

27 minutes ago, balo said:

It's actually the same owner as Pizza Pizza.   Sergio decided to close his chain of restaurants  in Bangkok and moved to Pattaya to start from fresh .  

I wouldn't be surprised if there will be some promotions soon. Haven't tried their pizzas yet but it looks good. 

Aha! That's very interesting. Always open to my information or assumptions being corrected, so thank you.

But in any case, the menu is very different and in my view very appealing. 

I seriously doubt there will be giveaway price pizzas there again.

There is the opening promotion for the high 200's that includes a salad, drink, and so called "free" basic pizza but that's more like a gimmick. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Small Joke said:

I will tell you this,  Laddie! Yees are no' critics! ?

Posting restaurant recommendations is often a thankless exercise. On top of food tastes being very subjective, there is also the matter of the extreme INCONSISTENCY we find at local restaurants. Quite often, I go back to a restaurant that I previously recommended and it's just not as good, or even quite poor. I can't be bothered to post every time that happens. It's just not realistic to do that.

Occasionally though I do post updates on previously posted about places when there has been some kind of material change, such a new menu, new chef, etc.

So it's really down to all of us to try places out for ourselves and do our own risk/reward thing on whether a place here and NOW is actually going to be good or crap.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

Just now, Jingthing said:

Posting restaurant recommendations is often a thankless exercise. On top of food tastes being very subjective, there is also the matter of the extreme INCONSISTENCY we find at local restaurants. Quite often, I go back to a restaurant that I previously recommended and it's just not as good, or even quite poor. I can't be bothered to post every time that happens. It's just not realistic to do that.

So it's really down to all of us to try places out for ourselves and do our own risk/reward thing on whether a place here and NOW is actually going to be good or crap.

Cheers.

Hi Jingthing,  the remark was a private joke based on the posters handle,  Rab C. 

Not intended as a jab at you. 

No worries. My point is more general anyway and was meant to be. You almost can't win suggesting restaurants for the reasons I cited. Often I don't even bother showing a bias. Just give some information and people can decide if that's a place they want to try or not. 

43 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Call this a pre-review if you like, or a heads-up, as I've not yet been myself, but there is a newly opened fish and chips shop currently doing cod (yes, cod) and chips for 190B instead of the normal 220B. The sign outside says "Yorkshire" fish and chips. Someone I know went the other day and said that both the cod and the chips were good. That price is barely more than what many places charge for frozen chips and farmed white fish from Vietnam, so it has to be worth a try.

It is by the newly developed "Tree Town" area in Soi Buakow opposite Soi 21.

https://goo.gl/maps/fkvfB37Vsaq

(The link goes to an old photo taken before development so, no, you wont be eating in a car park.)

Yorkshire style would be everything deep fried in beef dripping. Unlikely here, methinks.

Indian Restaurants

I live near Central Road and 2nd road....There are Indian restaurant every where and new ones a popping up like mushrooms every month it seems...This area is overrun with Indian restaurants....

You think it would be easy to find a Indian restaurant that offers value....WRONG....

Ever last one of them is overpriced in my opinion...

I dont consider example,220-240-260 Baht for a lamb curry a good value...I consider this a bad value....

I had been going to the Tikka Center on Soi Bukow for the longest time but they just raised the price of the lamb curry from 180 to 200 baht...Not a deal killer but not a bargain either.. 

Out of the 100s of Indian restaurants in Pattaya can any one recommend just one CHEAP one?

I just dont get it most of the Indian restaurants hardly seem to have any customers yet they will not lower their prices?  99% of their customers are only Indian yet they can some how be profitable? Indians have a reputation for cheapness but they are happy to pay prices that farang do not want to pay? Its all  kind of strange..lol

Edited by fforest1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, fforest1 said:

You think it would be easy to find a Indian restaurant that offers value....WRONG....

Ever last one of them is overpriced in my opinion...

They are indeed very overpriced. For a good deal go to the Novotel at Ploenchit in Bangkok where, on Friday, they do a very good Indian buffet lunch for just 250B including water. And that's a 5-star hotel in a top neighbourhood of a capital city, not some backstreet shanty in a downmarket seaside resort.

Failing that, try this Soi Buakow Indian Bistro, situated at the Tukcom end between Action Street and the Tuesday/Friday market.

https://www.facebook.com/SoiBuakhaoBistroIndianResturant/

They are currently promoting a sort of Thali lunch for 100B (normally 150B) which includes a selection from the following:

2 starters 1 veg, 1 Non Veg
Chicken Curry or Butter Chicken
Dal Makhani
Mixed Veg
Rice
Roti / Nan
Raita
Salad
Papad
1 Sweet dish

But be aware that is not a buffet, in spite of what it says on the signs. Not yet been myself but I hope this week.

• Like 2

Ju Xiang Be

High quality, rather expensive authentic Chinese restaurant

Northern Chinese (wheat noodles, breads, dumplings), Sichuan, Hunan, etc.

2nd road, South Pattaya

Replaces "Taiwan Restaurant" which never really had many Taiwanese dishes. 

This is the second location of Ju Xiang Be in town. The original one is at the Korean food mall at the Burger King in North Pattaya.

The food is quite good but I'm not sure it's worth the premium price. For example their fish Sichuan hot pot is 550 and it's possible to get that for 400 at some other places. Some more affordable dishes such as beef stew noodle soup (fresh noodles) for 200. One bread that is stuffed with a vermicelli pork mix for 200 I haven't seen anywhere else in town. The menu is a picture menu and accessible enough. You can get similar fresh noodle dishes for lower cost at nearby Grandma's Kitchen (previously reviewed) here.

Quickly popped in at AKA in Central after a long pause. Seems they have changed their buffet menus so the thin cut beef or pork slices aren't included anymore. For the first time I also noticed "CPN" in their ads, dunno if it's CP or if it always has been. I'll be giving it a pass from now on. 

On 8/20/2018 at 1:19 PM, tolsti said:

He now has a place out on the lake. It's called Little House Cafe

Well, he now seems to be moving again!.... He has announced that as of 21st September he will be open at Soi 26, Off Soi Nern Plab Wan in front of View Dee apartments. Their last day at Little House Cafe is 16th September.  That's the 5th move since I came to Pattaya  4 years ago!!

• Thanks 1

Got around to trying Tequila Reef after many years because I heard the new owner had made significant improvements.

http://m.tequilareefpattaya.com

Well I can say it was somewhat better than my memory (when I thought it totally sucked) but not at a level that will really please many people that are sophisticated Mexican food lovers.

I went with a combo plate where you choose two of three items (small burrito, enchilada, and taco) and the meat filling plus rice and beans included.

I went with a shredded beef enchilada and a pork carnitas burrito.

The side seasoned rice was pretty good and the refried beans were rich and flavorful.

The shredded beef wasn't shredded more like small cubes. The pork carnitas wasn't believable as carnitas. No seasoning detected and not crispy. More like Thai style pig from a street cart.

I asked for spicy Mexican salsa and on second request was offered an unspiced chopped tomato thing. That was after originally pointed to the Tabasco sauce and another bottled pepper sauce with no Mexican taste. Then I was offered Thai chilies. In other words no cooked salsa at all and certainly none attempting Mexican flavor.

Service attitude was excellent. Not her fault they don't offer the full Mexican flavor.

Combo plate on special on Mondays for 235 and 7 percent tax is added.

My conclusion is as before -- the biggest draw is the Margaritas not the Mexican food. But credit is due for some level of improvement.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, fforest1 said:

They give me a menu....The prices are the usual overpriced Pattaya Indian food...I ask were is the special..

Did you see this in the menu? This is the thing that is currently on offer for 100B as far as I know.

indianbuffet.jpg.38fcf91d7f44900b2c5864c66492b3d4.jpg

• Like 1

Coffee Club just opened a small branch next to Mike's , beach rd. A bit surprising since they already closed 3 of their places.Their new location is next to Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf , but I guess they hope for more drop-in customers since it's right on Beach rd.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, balo said:

Coffee Club just opened a small branch next to Mike's , beach rd. A bit surprising since they already closed 3 of their places.Their new location is next to Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf , but I guess they hope for more drop-in customers since it's right on Beach rd.

No, they just open new branches when an idiot wannabe businessman is ready to pay for the franchise even if the restaurant won't last 6 months...

On September 4, 2018 at 3:28 AM, gaff said:

No, they just open new branches when an idiot wannabe businessman is ready to pay for the franchise even if the restaurant won't last 6 months...

Minor International, the owner of Royal Garden Mall also owns a. 50% stake in corporate The Coffee. Club. It may be behind the new stores.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pegman said:

Minor International, the owner of Royal Garden Mall also owns a. 50% stake in corporate The Coffee. Club. It may be behind the new stores.

I guess that is why the branch in that mall is still open in a prime location.   Doubt it could survive paying rent there.

Edited by lapd

24 minutes ago, lapd said:

I guess that is why the branch in that mall is still open in a prime location.   Doubt it could survive paying rent there.

A whole bunch of those tenants are owned by Minor International which I believe was started in Pattaya by a Thai-American man. 

• Like 1