The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

News Steak House and Grill is nearby and very good. Parking not relevant to me as I don't drink and drive. Around the corner on Pratumnak near Soi 4 is the newly reopened Auberge des  Amis but I think it is flailing and losing direction but they do a brilliant mixed dessert platter. On Soi 4 itself one minute down is the Wolfhound. Good food and prices and big portions. British traditional.food. Always busy - a family place - bottled beer 50baht. Irish management. One block down on the left in a Sub Soi is reputedly some of the best Thai food in Thailand which though sold from a shack provides the local Hisos and royalty with meals.

Edited by The manic

52 minutes ago, The manic said:

News Steak House and Grill is nearby and very good. Parking not relevant to me as I don't drink and drive. Around the corner on Pratumnak near Soi 4 is the newly reopened Auberge des  Amis but I think it is flailing and losing direction but they do a brilliant mixed dessert platter. On Soi 4 itself one minute down is the Wolfhound. Good food and prices and big portions. British traditional.food. Always busy - a family place - bottled beer 50baht. Irish management. One block down on the left in a Sub Soi is reputedly some of the best Thai food in Thailand which though sold from a shack provides the local Hisos and royalty with meals.

Can you provide more info on the Thai food place? It's an actual restaurant? Hours? 

12 hours ago, KittenKong said:

OK, that at least has a reasonable chance of succeeding. The main location is very popular with all sorts (weekender Thais, local Thais, expats, tourists) and surprisingly enough does fairly good pizza for fairly reasonable prices, though they must make a lot on the drinks and other non-pizza dishes are quite pricey.

I think even the other food is not overly priced as nor is their wheat beer - until you factor in the ++............which unfortunately bumps things up by quite a bit........:sad:

Malaysian Hawker Food

Temporary menu at OASIS restaurant for NOVEMBER

Centara Grand Mirage Beach Resort, Lobby level

Naklua

http://www.centarahotelsresorts.com/centaragrand/cmbr/map/

For years, I've been annoyed how little of Thailand's neighboring nation's food is available in Pattaya. Particularly Burmese, Malaysian/Singaporean, and Vietnamese.

So happy to hear about this temporary offer. 

Malaysian hawker food, with its strong Chinese influence, is a culinary adventure, and classic hawker dishes from Penang, Ipoh and Kuala Lumpur are being served at Oasis,  Centara Grand Mirage Beach Resort Pattaya throughout November.

http://pattayatoday.net/life-leisure/fb-promotions/classic-malaysian-hawker-dishes-at-oasis/

I can only guess about the prices but I'm sure the hawker food there isn't at hawker food prices.

Oasis restaurant does month long special menus regularly, sometimes featuring other neighboring nation cuisines.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

This is a long shot but the  Centara Grand Mirage Beach Resort is far away off the baht bus circuit. I read that they have scheduled shuttles but does anyone know where they go to? Perhaps anyone could use the shuttles to get to and from the hotel. The other question is if they would let non-guests use their shuttle. 

Edited by Jingthing

PINOY FAST FOODS

Surprising large selection of Filipino standards considering the name of the place.

Yes, that's really the name of the restaurant!

Pattaya Klang, North side of street

Not too far before 3rd road coming from 2nd road

Close to the sign going to KTK Regent Suites, around Soi 12

This is a casual lower priced Filipino restaurant obviously mostly catering to Filipino nationals.

However English is spoken and there are pictures on the wall of many (but not nearly all) of their dishes.

The culinary level is serviceable ... probably better than you would expect at a place actually called FAST FOOD.

Dishes cooked fresh. 

So don't necessarily expect the food to come FAST, he he.

Choices of vegetable dishes, beef, pork, squid, shrimp, tilapia, and goat but not everything always available.

Best to bring your smartphone to translate dish names to avoid an unpleasant surprise.

Many Pinoy dishes have OFFAL.

One of the goat dishes features marinated RAW goat meat. 
So not all dishes for everyone.

But really, even if you've never had Pinoy food and don't like innards, probably the majority of what's on the menu would at least be edible for you.

Of course, they have versions of the world famous Pinoy ADOBO with choice of meats, including with squid or vegetables.

Bicol Express one of the few Pinoy "spicy" dishes is offered as well. 

Some dishes:

Sinigang Na Hipon (shrimp) 140

(Sour soup, the Filipino version of tom yum, but really NOT THE SAME)

pinoysin.jpg

Pakbet Tagalog

Great vegetable dish includes squash, okra, eggplant, tomato, and bitter melon

It's 120 on the menu but I think I was served a small at 60 baht. 

pinoytag.jpg

Chicken Afritada 120

Spanish influence dish, chicken drumettes, potato, carrot, in tomato sauce

pinoyafri.jpg

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

PINOY FAST FOODS

Surprising large selection of Filipino standards considering the name of the place.

Yes, that's really the name of the restaurant!

Pattaya Klang, North side of street

Not too far before 3rd road coming from 2nd road

Close to the sign going to KTK Regent Suites, around Soi 12

This is a casual lower priced Filipino restaurant obviously mostly catering to Filipino nationals.

However English is spoken and there are pictures on the wall of many (but not nearly all) of their dishes.

The culinary level is serviceable ... probably better than you would expect at a place actually called FAST FOOD.

Dishes cooked fresh. 

So don't necessarily expect the food to come FAST, he he.

Choices of vegetable dishes, beef, pork, squid, shrimp, tilapia, and goat but not everything always available.

Best to bring your smartphone to translate dish names to avoid an unpleasant surprise.

Many Pinoy dishes have OFFAL.

One of the goat dishes features marinated RAW goat meat. 
So not all dishes for everyone.

But really, even if you've never had Pinoy food and don't like innards, probably the majority of what's on the menu would at least be edible for you.

Of course, they have versions of the world famous Pinoy ADOBO with choice of meats, including with squid or vegetables.

Bicol Express one of the few Pinoy "spicy" dishes is offered as well. 

Some dishes:

Sinigang Na Hipon (shrimp) 140

(Sour soup, the Filipino version of tom yum, but really NOT THE SAME)

pinoysin.jpg

Pakbet Tagalog

Great vegetable dish includes squash, okra, eggplant, tomato, and bitter melon

It's 120 on the menu but I think I was served a small at 60 baht. 

pinoytag.jpg

Chicken Afritada 120

Spanish influence dish, chicken drumettes, potato, carrot, in tomato sauce

pinoyafri.jpg

There's a reason there are few, if any, Filipino restaurants in most towns and many Thai ones ?

El  Greco  Greek &  Mediterranean  restaurant.

soi bongkot, I`m rubbish with directions and maps, sorry.

Had an enjoyable meal and evening there.

Interesting that on many of the mains, they offer the option of a half size.

Went with my Thai GF, ordered 4 halves, Greek salad, for her, looked good, she enjoyed it, not my thing though.

NZ lamb  small, tasted great.

Meatballs, beef, small portion but again tasted good.

Moussaka, large for a half, OK but perhaps not the dish for me.

A litre of house wine ( Mont Clair probably ).

Greek  bread and excellent french fries came with 2 of the mains, generous portions.

Service superb, very friendly there.

Bill was 880 baht, considering the wine consumed, consider that a bargain.

I will return.

Probably do full size lamb main, with a half of something else & whatever my GF wants.

Thumbs up from me.

It`s basic down to earth and honest.

Visit was earlier this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes I have also enjoyed that place. Not refined Greek cuisine. More like home cooking like. Also not a fan of their Moussaka. Two other Greek places in town are Pattayanis and the place in the same market area as Simon's Israeli food. All different styles of Greek.

• Like 1

Greetings, I just ate at this new Indian restaurants and even if I am not expert it was so good and prices seem cheaper than what I usually find.

Very friendly Indian guy who WAI customers Thai style and always smile.

Please try it and tell me if my first impression was right ?

https://www.facebook.com/teapartner.2016

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d10734136-Reviews-Tea_Partner_Restaurant_and_Coffee_Shop-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Pattaya klang, near the famous drugstore, I think between SOI 12 and 16.

Kitchen open until midnight everyday !

• Thanks 1

Tea partner is a 100 percent vegetarian place. It's very close to the Filipino place I recently posted about, Pinoy Fast Foods. Yes, there does appear to be a friendly welcome there (I noticed that walking by) and the prices are friendly too. Good variety of veg. dishes, thalis, dosa menu, and also Indian breakfasts. I did notice though that most of the reviews on tripadvisor are from people with only one or two reviews. :coffee1:

There is another very similar menu and priced Indian veg. restaurant also on Pattaya Klang, located on the other side of street from Tea Partner and fairly close to 2nd road. I have eaten there a few times. It's OK but wouldn't rave.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d8694950-Reviews-Govindam-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

My current pick (there are so many now) for Indian vegetarian food is here but not for the thalis:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d8808420-Reviews-The_Dosa_Hut-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Tea partner is a 100 percent vegetarian place. It's very close to the Filipino place I recently posted about, Pinoy Fast Foods. Yes, there does appear to be a friendly welcome there (I noticed that walking by) and the prices are friendly too. Good variety of veg. dishes, thalis, dosa menu, and also Indian breakfasts. I did notice though that most of the reviews on tripadvisor are from people with only one or two reviews. :coffee1:

There is another very similar menu and priced Indian veg. restaurant also on Pattaya Klang, located on the other side of street from Tea Partner and fairly close to 2nd road. I have eaten there a few times. It's OK but wouldn't rave.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d8694950-Reviews-Govindam-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

My current pick (there are so many now) for Indian vegetarian food is here but not for the thalis:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d8808420-Reviews-The_Dosa_Hut-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Thank you for these 2 places. As for me most Indian restaurant offer the same food made with the same ingredients bought at the same place, I will check them to compare prices, as I do not believe that taste will be any different.

• Like 1

Well, your tastes are your tastes. Up to you.

I was only speaking of Indian vegetarian restaurants before because you posted about one. There are a number in town more than I mentioned.

There are also of course SCADS of Indian restaurants that have veg. and non - veg.

As I mentioned on my thread about BOLLYWOOD KURRY, the number of Indian restaurants in town is truly remarkable. I'm sure I haven't tried even a quarter of them.

That said, here is an Indian Gujarati vegetarian restaurant that I do think will provide a "different" taste experience from the standard (though I don't recommend their thali):

https://www.facebook.com/Tanatan-Gujarati-Food-Pattaya-1725585911044827/

On ‎26‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 8:48 PM, Jingthing said:

Can you provide more info on the Thai food place? It's an actual restaurant? Hours? 

Yes a real restaurant but closes by sunset, very busy lunchtimes with diners and delivery orders.

Turn down Pratumnak Soi 4 until you come to the first 7-11 on your left, about 100 metres, turn left there and it's a few metres on you right.

• Like 1

On 05/11/2016 at 3:02 PM, Jingthing said:

This is a long shot but the  Centara Grand Mirage Beach Resort is far away off the baht bus circuit. I read that they have scheduled shuttles but does anyone know where they go to? Perhaps anyone could use the shuttles to get to and from the hotel. The other question is if they would let non-guests use their shuttle. 

"A scheduled shuttle service connects to Central Festival Pattaya shopping and lifestyle centre on an hourly basis."

If you are considering eating there you should be able to use the shuttle.

• Like 1

Anothet Indian is the tikka house on soi buakao vaguely opposite soi honey. The food is a good take on British High St Curry houses which I like. However its grubby which i dont really mind but if the restaurantbis that soiled what is the kitchen like?

On November 5, 2016 at 3:02 AM, Jingthing said:

It looks less than a 1/2 mile walk down NaKlua 18 from the NaKlua Road baht bus route. I'd walking is a problem there should be motorbike taxi stand nearby.

On Wednesday, October 26, 2016 at 8:48 PM, Jingthing said:

Its a large shack restaurant. Walk down soi 4 from pratumnak hill - its the second soi on the left. Its a day place really. You can get directions from the wolfhound which is on the corner of the first soi in soi4

On 11/19/2016 at 1:54 AM, Jingthing said:

Well, your tastes are your tastes. Up to you.

I was only speaking of Indian vegetarian restaurants before because you posted about one. There are a number in town more than I mentioned.

There are also of course SCADS of Indian restaurants that have veg. and non - veg.

As I mentioned on my thread about BOLLYWOOD KURRY, the number of Indian restaurants in town is truly remarkable. I'm sure I haven't tried even a quarter of them.

That said, here is an Indian Gujarati vegetarian restaurant that I do think will provide a "different" taste experience from the standard (though I don't recommend their thali):

https://www.facebook.com/Tanatan-Gujarati-Food-Pattaya-1725585911044827/

Location on FB is wrong, on the dark side !

The restaurant is actually now far from Walking street:

https://goo.gl/VEyyNj

Can you tell me what is the reason to go there ? What is special with their food ?

Thanks.

Edited by bberrythailand
  • Like 1

They have a wide variety of Gujarati vegetarian dishes not found elsewhere. The location is just a bit south towards Jomtien on 2nd road coming from Pattaya Tai. It's on the west side of the street.

Only mentioned because you expressed that all the local Indian restaurants have the same taste to you. That makes no sense to me. While most have standard menus there is variety available.

Indian by nature would be the best place in town to learn about the incredible variety of Indian food. But it's very expensive. Also very good and good variety is Madras Darbar across from Central Mall on 2nd road. Also Bollywood Kurry which I started a thread about. A number of different dishes there. There you can talk to the owners and explain you're looking for different from the standard flavors and they can probably suggest some dishes for you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Indian by nature would be the best place in town to learn about the incredible variety of Indian food. But it's very expensive. Also very good and good variety is Madras Darbar across from Central Mall on 2nd road. Also Bollywood Kurry which I started a thread about. A number of different dishes there. There you can talk to the owners and explain you're looking for different from the standard flavors and they can probably suggest some dishes for you.

Thanks ! Indian by nature, no thank you, I do not like to pay for the decoration, I have been once and will never go again because their food is not better for me than anywhere else.

I will try the other places, thanks again.

Madras Darbar

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d1504592-Reviews-Madras_Darbar-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Bollywood Kurry

Cannot find it on Tripadvisor ?

Bollywood Kurry is very new, opened about a month ago. It doesn't have a tripadvisor listing. Actually many good places don't and it seems like half the listings on there have been closed for years, so I don't  think that means much either way. Look, I don't want this thread to become only about Indian restaurants, so good luck, and hope you find your local Indian food bliss which I suspect is most likely any old cheap place because it seems they all taste the same to you. Which is valid for you. We're all different.

Edited by Jingthing