Work Permit For Multiple Locations?

Norrad

Hi Everyone,

I have been approached to help set up various branches for the company that I work for. The company realizes that my work permit is tied to one location but insist that they will do whatever it takes to make me legal.

Is it possible to get a work permit that covers more than one location? Even if offices haven't been setup yet in a few of those?

Would changing my job description to some form of travelling/branch consultant be an option?

Yes, you have to add the branch offices to your work permit to legally work there. However, you can only do that after the branch office has been officially registered.

My work permit shows the head office in Bangkok as the main working place, and on another page, the address of the branch office is shown.

Legally, the work permit shows the location at which you are allowed to work. Technically, you are violating this when you have a meeting with your customer outside of the office. The labour department knows that this is a ridiculous and won't take action if you work anywhere else than your office.

The important thing is that you do have a work permit and pay your taxes. So don't worry too much about location while you are still setting up the branch offices, I'd say. (This is my personal opinion, based on working in Thailand for over 20 years. I am not a lawyer.)

• 3 weeks later...

Have to agree with Tom,

Although technically you need to list the areas you intend to work , Ive personally never had any issues over the last 10 years or so.

We conduct most of our buisiness in Phuket , but I have worked in all the major areas of Thailand over the years and nothing has become an issue.,

That said , to answer your question correctly , Yes you do need them listed on your WP.