When Will You Call Thailand Your Home?

up2you2

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a Thai lawyer tell me she doesn't understand why any foreigner would want to retire in Thailand away from their home. The subtext is we're crazy. Maybe we are. Oh well ...

The Thai lawyer was probably speaking from a family perspective as it tears a Thai's heart out to be too far from family.

But by your posts it must be rough to feel as you do.

I mean that sincerely & not in any bad way.

You seem like your stuck between a rock & a hard place.

I've never been to Araq and have no desire to visit. Please do me a favor and spare me your crocodile pity. There is NO right answer to the question in the OP. It's a personal thing. I feel my view is less delusional but y'all are welcome to feel as you want. I won't pity you but I won't applaud you either.

You have made your opinion abundantly clear in many posts on this topic, so why keep repeating? BTW I am not cognisant of anyone seeking your personal stamp of approval or concern for their posts on this topic.

I've had a Thai lawyer tell me she doesn't understand why any foreigner would want to retire in Thailand away from their home. The subtext is we're crazy. Maybe we are. Oh well ...

The Thai lawyer was probably speaking from a family perspective as it tears a Thai's heart out to be too far from family.

But by your posts it must be rough to feel as you do.

I mean that sincerely & not in any bad way.

You seem like your stuck between a rock & a hard place.

I've never been to Araq and have no desire to visit. Please do me a favor and spare me your crocodile pity. There is NO right answer to the question in the OP. It's a personal thing. I feel my view is less delusional but y'all are welcome to feel as you want. I won't pity you but I won't applaud you either.

You have made your opinion abundantly clear in many posts on this topic, so why keep repeating? BTW I am not cognisant of anyone seeking your personal stamp of approval or concern for their posts on this topic.

Don't take it personal, you wouldn't know him if you bumped into him in Foodland, so why worry.

• Like 2

When I know that Thailand will never change the visa rules and kick us all out, with some losing investments.

Where do I own a home? That is my home.

Where do I not need a work permit? That is my home.

Where can I own a business and the land under it, and actually work in it? That is my home.

Where do I actually have a right to be there with no one's permission? That is my home.

Where am I a citizen, and treated like everyone else? That is my home.

@Chiangmaikelly, I'd like to know how you open a hot dog stand in LOS and stay there all day and run it yourself. No offense, but people do it all around including Mexican food and even Thai food in your home country. Complain about the health department, but if you comply with rules you're golden, and at least people know the food is safe to eat. I didn't think you could even open and run a food stand in LOS. Where did I go wrong?

Better to quote my posts. I never said I had a hot dog stand in LOS. In 1999, an estimated 5,000 deaths, 325,000 hospitalizations and 76 million illnesses were caused by foodborne illnesses within the US. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention began tracking outbreaks starting in the 1970s.[2] By 2012 the figures were roughly 130,000 hospitalizations and 3,000 deaths.[3]

http://en.wikipedia....e_United_States

I realize you didn't say you had a hot dog cart. It was just a simple analogy as to which would be easier or even possible to do for a farang - LOS or US.

I do realize that there are food born illnesses everywhere. Those numbers don't say which ones occurred in the home and which in restaurants, or which by home canning vs commercial products. I do know of some outbreaks that have occurred in commercial food and restaurants to be fair.

To make any wild assumption that food one might buy from a restaurant or vendor in LOS is as clean and refrigerated, or that the facility is as clean as it would be in the West would be silly.

LOOK, any country that CAN make a problem for ME, when l take care of THEIR folk will never be my home UNTIL they UNDERSTAND I have taken care of THEIR natives. End of my story. sorry.gif

Are you referring to your wife/gf and her family or random acts of charity? If the former, you are crazy to think that your actions in any way entitle you to special treatment. Edited by inthepink
  • Like 2

Why does it even matter where you call home? Just enjoy life in whatever country pleases you the most. If you can't decide what is best for you then just move back and forth. We don't need a lot to be happy. Material possessions are just anchors tying you to one spot.Unless you are ostentatious and like to show off how much wealth you have, then you can be happy with very little.

• Like 1

going by the accepted meaning of home ie place of refuge and comfort yadda yadda ..I would say Thailand is already is called home....certainly when I get on a plane that is heading for Thailand I consider and refer to it as going home?

Don't really like being anyplace else....

Surely home is where your happy and wish to stay..warts and all..... when all said and done?

Okay ........now for a chorus of "I still call Australia home....."tongue.png

Maybe the lawyer was giving you specific individual advice ... rather general advice ... rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Maybe the lawyer was giving you specific individual advice ... rather general advice ... rolleyes.gif

Do you know what the word ANY means?

I ain't got no home, I'm just a-roamin' 'round,

Just a wandrin' worker, I go from town to town.

And the police make it hard wherever I may go

And I ain't got no home in this world anymore.

My brothers and my sisters are stranded on this road,

A hot and dusty road that a million feet have trod;

Rich man took my home and drove me from my door

Was a-farmin' on the shares, and always I was poor;

My crops I lay into the banker's store.

My wife took down and died upon the cabin floor,

I mined in your mines and I gathered in your corn

I been working, mister, since the day I was born

Now I worry all the time like I never did before

'Cause I ain't got no home in this world anymore

Now as I look around, it's mighty plain to see

This world is such a great and a funny place to be;

Oh, the gamblin' man is rich an' the workin' man is poor,

In the words of Woody Guthrie.

I ain't got no home, I'm just a-roamin' 'round,

Just a wandrin' worker, I go from town to town.

And the police make it hard wherever I may go

My brothers and my sisters are stranded on this road,

A hot and dusty road that a million feet have trod;

Rich man took my home and drove me from my door

Was a-farmin' on the shares, and always I was poor;

My crops I lay into the banker's store.

My wife took down and died upon the cabin floor,

I mined in your mines and I gathered in your corn

I been working, mister, since the day I was born

Now I worry all the time like I never did before

'Cause I ain't got no home in this world anymore

Now as I look around, it's mighty plain to see

This world is such a great and a funny place to be;

Oh, the gamblin' man is rich an' the workin' man is poor,

In the words of Woody Guthrie.

[media]

[media] Edited by Dancealot

LOOK, any country that CAN make a problem for ME, when l take care of THEIR folk will never be my home UNTIL they UNDERSTAND I have taken care of THEIR natives. End of my story. sorry.gif

So YOU will continue to take care of THEIR natives even though they don't UNDERSTAND but will withhold from them the honor and privilege of YOU calling THIS country your HOME though you will remain here.

That'll show 'em!

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Edited by SteeleJoe
  • Like 1

Do you know what the word ANY means?

AH ... all the years that you have lived here ... yet still to grasp the subtly of the Thai subtext ... whistling.gif

ended up in a shouting match with low level staff at the embassy...

By 'low level', do you mean their level of responsibility or their how you viewed them?

In any case, never forget that one of the most important people is the garbage man who clears away the sh*t that no-one else wants to clear up....

Simon

Wow.

This is not complaint. I'm certainly known to go off topic and I've never understood why it bothers anyone when people do (since one can just ignore such posts)..but that post from CMK (or the whole exchange that prompted it)deserves some sort of award for off-topicedness.

I would imagine we look after the people that we do because we care about those people? Not because they are 'natives' of a certain country?

Well at least that's how I would view it.

On calling a place home, I agree with most that have the sentiments of..... It is where you are comfortable and content. This can happen based on different things for different people. Maybe it's a sense of belonging, or it's other factors.

I'm Thai. By birth. This is where I spend most of my life. And for the most part it is home. BUT......there was a phase in my life when I didn't feel like it was. I felt restless and not content. It had nothing to do with bureaucracy. Cos I never needed a visa or reporting to remain in Thailand. Yet I didn't feel like it was home.

So I can understand that it's very possible for those that still NEED the visa and bureaucracy yet feel Thailand is their home :)

• Like 2

Having read the topic all the way through the 150 posts I went back to read my post #4 once again.

Nothing has changed for me since I posted only 3 days ago.

As afar as I am concerned Thailand still IS MY home which is where my wife and family live and if I get kicked out and they stay it will STILL be my home and I will find a way to come back too.

Edited by billd766
  • Like 1

Forget it, this place carries too many negatives, just read about Somchai Kamnan Poh, today's news, disgusting really.

We can't stay longer than one year without hassle, thus as a revenge I leave every 5 months for one month, makes me feel better bah.gif

I have stayed here for quite a few years without any hassle and for me revenge is a waste of time. I have far better things to do with my life here at home in Thailand.

• Like 2

I don't think it is a wild assumption. I have been in the hospitality business in the West for 30 years. Cargill Ground Turkey Causes Salmonella, 2011. E.coli Outbreak at Taco Bell, 2006. 71 Taco Bell customers across five states on the East Coast. Eight of those people suffered kidney failure. The second outbreak involved the Taco John’s chain in Iowa and Minnesota, involving a total of 87 people. 2003, a Chi-Chi’s restaurant in Monaca, Pennsylvania caused the death of four people and sickening of 650 others, Pilgrim’s Pride Meat Causes Listeria, 2002 the outbreak included seven deaths. July of 2000, over 60 cases of E.Coli were linked to Sizzler restaurants in Wisconsin. The outbreak also claimed the life of a 3-year-old girl. After eating contaminated meat from Jack in the Box restaurants in Seattle, California, Idaho, Texas and Nevada, four children died and hundreds of other customers fell ill. The outbreak caused a national panic. I think many people have on rose colored glasss about the West. I don't think Thailand is so bad. But don't take my word, google.

http://www.healthlin...ess-outbreaks#9

The US is huge and there will be mistakes, and even deliberate poor handling of food. In the West such outbreaks make the news and in Thailand someone just dies and often the cause isn't even known.

Go ahead and defend Thailand's general food handling. Tell me how the street vendors handle refrigeration or clean water for washing hands and dishes. Tell me how they clean their hands after they take a dump.

If you wish to defend Thailand's food handling including the use of chemicals in farming and storage, go for it. Be sure to put some blinders under those rose colored glasses.

Your arguments are intellectually hollow, but emotionally biased.

• Like 1

To me a home is not only a place you are welcome, a place you lay your head, a place you like. No, a home is a pleasant, cozy house you own, where you feel safe and secure. No one can take it from you (don't pick that apart with silly comments, you know what I mean).

Being married means you share things, 50-50. That's part of making a home. Not the bank account is in your name, the house in hers. That's a recipe for disaster. Yes, there are exceptions to that. Some of the "exceptions" from five years ago, the ones who swore they had it great, are just swearing now.

Which is why I'm always looking. Hopefully someday I'll find it. It's not here.

To me a home is not only a place you are welcome, a place you lay your head, a place you like. No, a home is a pleasant, cozy house you own, where you feel safe and secure. No one can take it from you (don't pick that apart with silly comments, you know what I mean).

Being married means you share things, 50-50. That's part of making a home. Not the bank account is in your name, the house in hers. That's a recipe for disaster. Yes, there are exceptions to that. Some of the "exceptions" from five years ago, the ones who swore they had it great, are just swearing now.

Which is why I'm always looking. Hopefully someday I'll find it. It's not here.

The bank account is in joint names, the house is in hers.

If we get divorced she gets the house.

When I was married before the bank accounts were in joint names and so was the house.

After the divorce the bank accounts were in single names and she had the house.

Whats the difference?

• Like 2

it's like watching an ant and moth fighting you don't really care who wins you just hope neither live too long.........help close this off TV it is nauseating at best and vomit producing in the least.

do to, did not, did to, did not, did to, did not, did to, did not, did to, did not, did to, did not, oh for five cents.

• Like 2