True Visions Freeview Question

HughJass

recently acquired a True Visions Topfield TF6300IR satellite receiver box with a viewing card inserted

its not active for subscription any more but want to know if it will deliver free to air channels

my g/f has two auntys who are getting on a bit and live alone but only have 3 snowy channels on an indoor aerial

if I acquired a True Visions small red dish and hooked it up for them would it deliver some free thai channels without paying a subscription?

if so what channels would be available?

anyone got a red dish they dont want in the CM area?

Thanks

I think you'll find the Topfield is the old SD receiver which is being phased out and it's cards replaced with ones that do the new encryption, you may be able to get the card to receive the "Free to View" (they're not Free to Air) channels but without that you'll get the Buddhist channel and the distance learning stuff.

If you know someone with a Truevisions dish why not hook the beast up and see what it delivers?

For a minimal investment (3-4k or so) you can get a pukka Truevisions Truelife+ box and dish that gets all the channels they could ever want and is subscription free, just a one-off payment.

Cheaper still...

Buy a Truevisions dish and LNB (I paid 500Baht completen new) then buy a G-MMZ box (I paid 900Baht), so for 1400, have a satellite system that will gat you all the Thai channels and more (including Sports Extra which will give you Bundersliga on Sat and Sun nights)

(In CM, we bought from a guy (also sells cars), small place, near the river on the super highway at Nong Hoi going towards the airport)

Edited by rawhod

Since it seems the OP's question has some good answers already, may I hijack the thread with a related question?

I also have a rooftop antenna with two or three snowy channels. I'm not at all interested in any pay-tv services (truevisions or whatever) but I wouldn't mind replacing the antenna with a dish and a truelife (or gmm) box as someone pointed out, and get all the "free to view" stuff.

Is there a box (truelife or gmm) available that will support multiple (independent) tv's, or is that expecting too much? I suspect I'll be easier/better off with a quad lnb and run a separate cable to a decoder in each of the 4 rooms?

You need a box for each TV, but if all your boxes are TrueLife you don't need a quad LNB. All the True channels are on the same polarity so a simple power-pass splitter will do the deed. We have a True HD and two Truelife boxes on a single dish with a standard LNB.

Add a GMMY box into the mix and you'll need the multiple LNB solution :(

You need a box for each TV, but if all your boxes are TrueLife you don't need a quad LNB. All the True channels are on the same polarity so a simple power-pass splitter will do the deed. We have a True HD and two Truelife boxes on a single dish with a standard LNB.

Add a GMMY box into the mix and you'll need the multiple LNB solution sad.png

Interesting. I always thought that given the relatively inexpensive nature of quad lnb's they'd be better than a splitter at getting the max quality signal through to each decoder... But then, perhaps a quad lnb's nothing much more than a regular lnb with a built-in splitter...

Now, having piqued my interest again (been here for a year, the thought of installing all the ftv channels comes up infrequently) I've managed to confuse myself again. I found Truelife plus's freeview bouquet is 240 channels if you use a 1.8m c-band dish (170 if you use a 1.5m), vs only 48 channels if you use the little ku-band dishes? Now I'm thinking a 1.8m c-band and truelife+ receiver(s) would be the best option.