Tilting Building Near Bangkok ' Should Be Demolished'

webfact

And when it comes down, lets hope NO ONE EVER decides to live in the twin right next to it.

The idea that the footings and ground under the twin is in any better condition is absurd.

Might be an optical illusion but the twin on the right already looks a bit scew wif,

While out house hunting a couple of years ago i came across a few houses that had worse problems than this building in the area of prawet,

In a couple of the houses there were still people living inside, One had taken the windows and doors out and replaced them with smaller versions...just put them in level and bricked around them, The floors must have been almost 45deg.

Edited by tingtongfarang

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No worries; a few more Burmese workers will be brought in (expendable), and they will 'jack it up' and put a few wooden blocks under one side. Only needs to be a temporary job as Bangkok is sinking anyway so the whole ruddy lot will be gone in 50 years. Of course; it may not last that long if a 6.9 'Quake happens anytime soon.

Time for all you 'townie's' to run for the hills and join us more sedate types in the Boonies.

• Like 1

Wasn't there a big high rise hotel built on the Chao Phraya river that started tilting or am I dreaming again?

Remember that back in about 2001 or 2002.......... not sure if it was a Hotel, also cannot remember if it was tilting or just thought to be unsafe.

Anyone remember ? update what happened ?

Wasn't there a big high rise hotel built on the Chao Phraya river that started tilting or am I dreaming again?

Remember that back in about 2001 or 2002.......... not sure if it was a Hotel, also cannot remember if it was tilting or just thought to be unsafe.

Are we talking about the building that was supposed to be the Sofitel?

Are we talking about the building that was supposed to be the Sofitel?

No idea.

Just seam to remember it was 2 Luxury High rise blocks on the river, one was sold the other something was wrong and people were asking/demanding there money back, back then the building was finished and painted white but empty.

owners living by the building filed a complaint with police.

I suppose there is a special form to fill out for this.

good series of photos and a video here

I like the safety first sign displayed onsite. smile.png

It looks to be more of a problem than just sinking foundations on one side causing a lean. The 'back' of the building seems to be broken, i.e., it's sagging in the middle, evidenced in the 7th pic in the series in the above link.

If the people in charge of this operation contract the people responsible for the controlled demolition that occurred in New York City on September 11 2001 The building on the right in this photograph will fall into its own footprint not harming the building on the left whatsoever.

Problem solved!

• Like 1

Amazing! I really hope the workers have been evacuated.

It's called "Short Piling"....usually a criminal offence with the engineers and management doing time, although of course...here in Thailand, very little will happen.....builders, town engineers etc., will walk

Happens with some regularity in China, India etc.....

A massive job to repair...better just knock it down, but again.....it'll probably stay there for years.

"Happens with some regularity in China, India etc....."

... and Illford apparently.

A five storey building

which was topped out last week dramatically collapsed yesterday in Ilford, east

London.

The steel frame of the new

£6.1m City Gates Christian Centre partially came down but all 22 workers

on the site escaped unharmed.

Eye witness Mick Pandher told the Ilford Recorder: “I looked towards

the building and I thought it was a thunder storm at first.

“Seconds later, I saw the whole building going to the floor.

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2012/02/01/6m-church-under-construction-collapses-in-ilford/

I just do not know what is going on with these developers, do they not understand we are now in the 21st Century, and Thailand is supposed to be a developing nation! I am a little involved in a new project in Pattaya, my GF's Children have opened a new shop at a brand new market on Threpasit Road, will not name it but the developers are Chinese, the list of problems on this "New" market of around 1000 shops is too big to list here, but it is unbelievably the whole complex.

Opened 5 Days, No Toilets, only about 1/3 of occupants are ready but opened anyway, Electrical Wiring is a sight to behold, un-insulated 3 Phase wiring running within mm's of steel construction, nothing earthed, power to shops provided by tapping into bare cable, size of cables grossly inadequate, No provision for Air Cond water run off, Open drains, the place stinks already and only open days, no Fire Hoses of fire points, no Fire Extinguishers, and the list goes on.

Where are the Building Inspectors, the trained plumbers, electricians etc, an "Electrician" was badly burnt on site last week, fortunately not killed by 400V cable, why dos'nt the local authority draw up guidelines and regulations for these projects and enforce them with heavy fines, look at the revenue that would bring in, get some help from some people who know what they are doing. This would only be good for Thailand and it's reputation.

I'm sure they'll come up with a low cost solution without the need to demolish so the building can be safely occupied within a matter of months blink.png

Well, you know the proclivity for copying. No doubt they will copy Italy and make this a tourist attraction called the leaning tower of Rangsit.

• Like 1

I just do not know what is going on with these developers, do they not understand we are now in the 21st Century, and Thailand is supposed to be a developing nation! I am a little involved in a new project in Pattaya, my GF's Children have opened a new shop at a brand new market on Threpasit Road, will not name it but the developers are Chinese, the list of problems on this "New" market of around 1000 shops is too big to list here, but it is unbelievably the whole complex.
Opened 5 Days, No Toilets, only about 1/3 of occupants are ready but opened anyway, Electrical Wiring is a sight to behold, un-insulated 3 Phase wiring running within mm's of steel construction, nothing earthed, power to shops provided by tapping into bare cable, size of cables grossly inadequate, No provision for Air Cond water run off, Open drains, the place stinks already and only open days, no Fire Hoses of fire points, no Fire Extinguishers, and the list goes on.

Where are the Building Inspectors, the trained plumbers, electricians etc, an "Electrician" was badly burnt on site last week, fortunately not killed by 400V cable, why dos'nt the local authority draw up guidelines and regulations for these projects and enforce them with heavy fines, look at the revenue that would bring in, get some help from some people who know what they are doing. This would only be good for Thailand and it's reputation.

Perhaps you should tell your girlfriend to get her children to relocate to a safer building. According to your post, that one has DISASTER written all over it. Don't risk their health or lives.

Edited by ratcatcher
  • Like 1

How could it be good for Thailand and its reputation to cause a local contractor to lose face? As for "where are the....trained electricians," they are busy on Bangkok streets, climbing bamboo ladders in bare feet and flip-flops, stringing more black spaghetti from pole to pole and across steel flyover handrails.

• Like 1

Amazing! I really hope the workers have been evacuated.

>It's called "Short Piling"....usually a criminal offence with the engineers and management doing time, although of course...here in Thailand, very little will happen.....builders, town engineers etc., will walk

Happens with some regularity in China, India etc.....

A massive job to repair...better just knock it down, but again.....it'll probably stay there for years.

"Happens with some regularity in China, India etc....."

... and Illford apparently.

A five storey building

which was topped out last week dramatically collapsed yesterday in Ilford, east

London.

The steel frame of the new

£6.1m City Gates Christian Centre partially came down but all 22 workers

on the site escaped unharmed.

Eye witness Mick Pandher told the Ilford Recorder: “I looked towards

the building and I thought it was a thunder storm at first.

“Seconds later, I saw the whole building going to the floor.

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2012/02/01/6m-church-under-construction-collapses-in-ilford/

Do you not see the ineptitude ingrained in your culture when you use the worst of other nations as your business model?

And when it comes down, lets hope NO ONE EVER decides to live in the twin right next to it.

The idea that the footings and ground under the twin is in any better condition is absurd.

Might be an optical illusion but the twin on the right already looks a bit scew wif,

While out house hunting a couple of years ago i came across a few houses that had worse problems than this building in the area of prawet,

In a couple of the houses there were still people living inside, One had taken the windows and doors out and replaced them with smaller versions...just put them in level and bricked around them, The floors must have been almost 45deg.

And how did that work out for you? Did you find an out house?

Davothegun, how about the Australian embassy in Bangkok, they flew in Australian electricians to re wire their embassy!

How's that for a great working holiday!

I get your point, but that's mainly OH&S laws applying to Aust. Federal Government Buildings. The code stipulates exactly how the electrician is licensed and certified. As Thailand regulations do not correspond with Aust regulations, they're forced to import electricians to comply.

Cheers

EDIT - while there are plenty of "cowboys" I have kicked out of our house (including one who wanted to just clip off the earth wire to a water heater rather than connect it to house earth), there are some very good, very careful electricians in Bangkok. They can be hard to find though as most of them are kept busy by the very large professional projects.

Edited by airconsult

How would increasing the height of the building be any approach to addressing its tilting?I obviously missed something.

As with all things in Thailand...do the opposite of the obvious and hey presto there's the solution.

And how did that work out for you? Did you find an out house?

Finding houses for rent in bkk is quite easy, Forget the internet ...ride around on a motocyc for a couple of days looking at signs on electric poles,