KarenBravo

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Name or no name is irrelevant.

I can track your location (within a few houses) within a matter of minutes using readily available freeware and your IP.

If had 1 satang for each time I've read similar things "I can get your IP address and track you down", I'd be filthy rich.

The truth is that if I wanted to track someone down the process is pretty straight forward, but it doesn't include tracing someone by acquiring their IP address unless you have seriously good connection within the ISP.

This is also the reason why it's always a good idea to be restrictive with regards to posting on a public forum, and using you real name is typically a bad idea. There are several nasty stories that can bare witness about this...

I never worry about revealing my real name - its Peter North - feel free to google me.

You know he's bisexual right and has done as many gay films as straight ones?

I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with the point.

wink.png

For those who didn't know the name, to find out who has been posting all the time here.

biggrin.png

I can track your location (within a few houses) within a matter of minutes using readily available freeware and your IP.

If had 1 satang for each time I've read similar things "I can get your IP address and track you down", I'd be filthy rich.

The truth is that if I wanted to track someone down the process is pretty straight forward, but it doesn't include tracing someone by acquiring their IP address unless you have seriously good connection within the ISP.

This is also the reason why it's always a good idea to be restrictive with regards to posting on a public forum, and using you real name is typically a bad idea. There are several nasty stories that can bare witness about this...

Did a search on my own IP, and was pin pointed to TOT's office in Khon Kaen.

I'm not there.

Once (at work) I got a message from a site if I was in fact the one logging in to that site, as they never recognized me before in Scotland.

I was in the middle of the Atlantic.

Did a search on my own IP, and was pin pointed to TOT's office in Khon Kaen.

I'm not there.

Once (at work) I got a message from a site if I was in fact the one logging in to that site, as they never recognized me before in Scotland.

I was in the middle of the Atlantic.

Correct. As I said, you can't trace someone down by the IP address, you need a lot more information than that, and this is more difficult than most people realise. If you have a static IP you could potentially get more information via APNIC (for Thai IP addresses), but that will require some serious legal paperwork and court orders.

I also mentioned that tracing someone down is easier done by analysing the personal information left by a poster. Most people usually think that small pieces of personal information is insignificant, but when collated it can easily be used to narrow down the search or sometimes even get a real name.

There are some serious nut cases out there, I know several on this forum. Posting under my real name would be inconceivable, and not something I would recommend someone else doing..

• Like 1

Im scared already before i know it a pensioner from Thaivisa is going to turn up and hit me with his rollator.

It really does not bother me much and nutcase.. yes i read about it all the time that they kill people because they feel insulted on the internet.

To be honest my risks of getting hit by a car are far higher.

Im scared already before i know it a pensioner from Thaivisa is going to turn up and hit me with his rollator.

It really does not bother me much and nutcase.. yes i read about it all the time that they kill people because they feel insulted on the internet.

But who drives that car?

That is the question.

• Like 1

But who drives that car?

That is the question.

In Thailand.. most probably a Thai and not a crazy expat out for blood over a Thaivisa dispute.

But who drives that car?

That is the question.

In Thailand.. most probably a Thai and not a crazy expat out for blood over a Thaivisa dispute.

Most likely.

Although I had to laugh think of the following scenario.

You are hit by a car as you walk.

The driver walks out a throw a printout on you, before he walks back into the car and drives away.

The print out is a discussion you had long time ago.

• Like 1

But who drives that car?

That is the question.

Most likely.

Although I had to laugh think of the following scenario.

You are hit by a car as you walk.

The driver walks out a throw a printout on you, before he walks back into the car and drives away.

The print out is a discussion you had long time ago.

Yes it could happen.. but more likely is that you get shot by a Thai for something you did in traffic.. and even that chance is not that big.

Using your own name would of course be bad for your carreer if you were discussing bar girls and lady boys all the time. I think that is a much more realistic scenario where a employer checks you out. They have caught ppl on facebook before ect ect.

Ive been on message boards long enough to know that its incredibly naive to think that there arent total complete nutters out there willing to track you down and petition your employers to fire you because of some innocuous and decotextualised comment that they've trawled through for days to find in your posting history... because you once showed they were wrong in a stupid argument that no one remembers or even cares about ten minutes after its finished.

Then again, having an account under your name doesnt mean you cant have 100 other accounts for trolling or saying what you really think about regarding other more controversial issues.

I knew a man who lived alone and had two jobs,one during the week and another at the weekend. He went on sick leave from the first job but went to work at the weekend job. One of his neighbors reported his attendance at the weekend job to the weekday employer and his employment was terminated. He later discovered the neighbor who had reported him and was astonished as he had no conflict of any kind with that neighbor. There are lots of people who enjoy mischief even against people with whom they have no grievance.

Names are only for tombstones!

Great 1-liner.clap2.gif

Which movie was that? I forgot..

Mr. Big: [to his men] Is THIS the stupid mother who tailed you uptown?

James Bond: There seems to be some mistake. My name is...

Mr. Big: Names is for tombstones, baby! Y'all take this honkey out and WASTE HIM! NOW!

You are the MAN Mr. Travel2003 wai.gif

post-70928-0-22126400-1367757245_thumb.j

And don't you forget it

Edited by Dancealot

Personally, I don't think it's a wise idea to let perfect strangers know your real name. Easy for them to use Google and then you could have a real-life stalker.

There is a person in Chiang Mai that let his real name become known on a forum. That in itself was rather naive, but the fact that he has one of the most obnoxious online personas netted him many enemies. The fool even posted his place of work on the net. I know of at least one beating this guy has taken because someone took enough interest to track him down and show him the error in his ways.

• Like 1

Try that as a mod or admin and you will probably have a short shelf life. biggrin.png

I suggest it should be mandatory for mods, together with a recent picture as their avatar coffee1.gif

Edited by jbrain

Try that as a mod or admin and you will probably have a short shelf life. biggrin.png

I suggest it should be mandatory for mods, together with a recent picture as their avatar coffee1.gif

No the avatar should be replaced by a current map to their present location.

No the avatar should be replaced by a current map to their present location.

I thought it was only the ladies who worried about staying on the shelf too long.

My real name starts with "Sir"........not a chance can I post here with all you plebs....... I would be no end of ridicule.

Mine starts with Emir but this isn't a place to show off. smile.png

Emiraclewink.png

Actually this is a picture of me.

No kidding.

Looks like a singer from way back but cannot think who. sad.png

Well, it is me, 30 years ago.

No kidding.

What was the song ?.......smile.png No kidding, you remind me of someone.