Bhat Bus Mafia Figures Out How To Annoy Us Even More

Awohalitsiktoli

Within the last few days the Baht Bus Mafia has started a new "money grabbing" scam. If you go to from Jomtien to Pattaya, this will impact you. In the past, by way of example, you could get on a bhat bus in Jomtien and for 10 baht go all the way to Royal Garden Mall (actually way past that point for 10 baht). NOW, the baht buses are stopping just before and after South Road. They have set up a "cue system" like they have on the other side of the road (going from Pattaya to Jomtien). You have to get out, change buses, wait for more passengers, and then pay an extra 10 baht just to go to Royal Garden Mall (or all the way to Central Road where I am assuming they are setting up another cue). It is way past time for the city to have modern buses going from South Jomtien to North Pattaya and back again. As an aside, I ate at the Boat restaurant and watched at all of the EMPTY baht buses go by....for every one baht bus with passengers, nine went by empty, presumably searching for some Russian suckers to scam. These people need to be stopped.

• Like 2

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree, the public transport options in pattaya are a continuing problem, from the song tows to the non-meter "meter" cabs, and the motocyes. They are all a complete rip off for tourists, expats, and local Thais. The prices charged for the distances traveled are just a scam.

Unfortunately, nothing is likely to change and as you point out, likely to get worse. Another reason to buy a car or get the heck out...I've already done the former and increasing thinking about the latter.

I agree, the public transport options in pattaya are a continuing problem, from the song tows to the non-meter "meter" cabs, and the motocyes. They are all a complete rip off for tourists, expats, and local Thais. The prices charged for the distances traveled are just a scam.

Go visit Phuket, you will see just how cheap Pattaya public transport is!!

Here we go...the Pattaya scam is not as bad as the Phuket scam so we should be thankful and just accept it!

The point is that Pattaya has grown to be more than just a tourist-trap town, where there are lots of full time working and retired expats and Thais too. These people need safe, affordable, and reliable transportation to go about their daily lives.

As for B10 being affordable, from where I'm from in farangland, one can travel in an air-conditioned bus or tram for 10-30 miles for B35-75. How much would a songtow charge to go to Sri Racha or Satahip in non-air-conditioned non-insured terror?

• Like 2

I'm amazed that they still charge only 10 Baht. When I moved here 10 years back the fare for farangs was 10 Baht. In the meantime fuel prices have skyrocketed and there has been general inflation averaging around 3% pa, yet some people seem to think that the Baht Buses exist in a parallel universe where prices cannot be allowed to rise. It's high time the fare went up to 20 Baht a time IMHO. If 10 Baht is really such a concern to your finances then maybe you should go home and get a job.

I'm not trying to shoot holes in your post but 10 years ago the fare was 5 bhat and even though fuel prices (gas/diesel) have risen I think the bhat buses run on NG which isn't expensive.

• Like 1

Where is Jingthing, the Master of all Baht Bus threads??? whistling.gif

he's busy eating across the menue of a new restaurant tongue.png

Hope the restaurant isn't a two Baht Bus ride home - might get indigestion!sick.gif

• Like 2

10 additional Baht are hard evidence that the "baht-bus mafia" has been commanded by "those in power" to torture Farangs because "they don't like us and want us to leave".

Fare is 10, not 20.

So yes, if they demand 20 that is extortion. No one has claimed it is a torture, Naam always does that, take something what was sayd, and twist it in order to make a previous posters sound ridiculous. Also, nobody in the thread is saying drivers do that to make us leave Thailand, they scam us to make more profit.

20 maybe low amount and nobody is gonna be poorer if fare is rised to 20, but as long as set price is 10, then that is the cost of 1 ride, not 20, not 100, or whatever number driver feels like coming up with.

I also think it should be rised to 20, of course then drivers will try to charge 40, but what you gonna do..

I tohught that has been going on for ages.20 baht from jomtien to pattaya klang is amazing value for money,not a scam

I agree. At least they're doing it in a correct business sense. Increase the price to an effective 20B when business is slow, and reduce to 10B when business is heavy.

I think it's still cheap. And if anybody thinks it's too expensive they can vote with their feet and not use the baht bus - pun intended.coffee1.gif

EDIT: I forgot to add that the official cost of a baht bus (as defined by the Co-Operative they work under, and as shown in labels inside many baht busses), the effective cost is 10B for a short trip and 20B for a long trip. The Co-Operative however fails to clarify what long and short is. I guess they have the right to determine it at their discretion, in the same way that a restaurant can charge more or less for the same meal, or give you more or less shrimp or rice etc. It's called private enterprise (ok....co-operative enterprise). whistling.gif

Edited by Gsxrnz

10 additional Baht are hard evidence that the "baht-bus mafia" has been commanded by "those in power" to torture Farangs because "they don't like us and want us to leave".

Fare is 10, not 20.

So yes, if they demand 20 that is extortion. No one has claimed it is a torture, Naam always does that, take something what was sayd, and twist it in order to make a previous posters sound ridiculous. Also, nobody in the thread is saying drivers do that to make us leave Thailand, they scam us to make more profit.

20 maybe low amount and nobody is gonna be poorer if fare is rised to 20, but as long as set price is 10, then that is the cost of 1 ride, not 20, not 100, or whatever number driver feels like coming up with.

I also think it should be rised to 20, of course then drivers will try to charge 40, but what you gonna do..

Fair is still 10 per ride... they only decided to shorten your ride and make you take another ride for going up 2nd road... whistling.gif

• Like 1

Supply and Demand. Still too many Baht-Buses around, that help to pollute the air. Oversupply = Hard to increase price. Nothing new, pure economics.

Cheers.

Virtually every poster missed my point. I am not "whining" about 10 baht going to 20 baht (although I do think it should remain 10 baht all the way to Central Road). I am pissed at the inconvenience they are creating. Let me state some facts: 1) there really is a baht bus mafia, 2) in the past they took you from Jomtien to Central Road for 10 baht, and you did not have to change buses (the unstated rule was 10 baht to Central Road and another 10 baht after), 3) now they are stopping and forming a cue at South Road, making it much more inconvenient for passengers because you have to change buses at South Road. How many people like that? It is hot outside. I do not like having to stop, and get out, and then get into another bus, and wait and wait and wait for passengers before the driver will finally move. It is really inconvenient! They are charging more, yes, but why not just do that across the board! Why make a baht bus switch on a well-known, well-traveled route? By the way, I have a truck. I could drive it, but that is not convenient because I can't find a place to park! The baht bus mafia does, very often,cheat customers. That is why so many are driving around the town with no passengers searching for a sucker (often a tourist from Russia or Japan or Korea) to rip off. That is why they let you get in, drive down the road a bit, then stop in some isolated spot and ask you "where are you going" and then demand an outrageous price to get you there. That is why they pack us in like sardines in a can at the cues. We should not have sympathy for them. This is a real problem that needs a solution.

• Like 1

Maybe they have done this precisely for the reasons people are moaning they can't get on a Baht bus in Jomtien.

The Baht bus drivers do not want to take people from Jomtien all the way to Naklua for 10 Baht, so by introducing this stop, this may act as more inducement for the Baht Buses to pick up non-charters in Jomtien.

I'm amazed that they still charge only 10 Baht. When I moved here 10 years back the fare for farangs was 10 Baht. In the meantime fuel prices have skyrocketed and there has been general inflation averaging around 3% pa, yet some people seem to think that the Baht Buses exist in a parallel universe where prices cannot be allowed to rise. It's high time the fare went up to 20 Baht a time IMHO. If 10 Baht is really such a concern to your finances then maybe you should go home and get a job.

Yes farang tourist price might have been 10b but normal fare was 5b so they already doubled price for a crap service.. Anyways if you can't afford a car with a private driver I feel sorry for you :P

In fact, this is something that is done in low season but only at certain times of the day. Go early morning and chances are

you can get to Central road or even farther.

If you are not sure you can always ask. In fact if you need to go up North road you would have to change anyways so it would be another 10 baht.

In contrast, Bangkok has buses that go just about everywhere for as low as 8 Baht a trip.

I agree it's annoying though.

Not new. I have reported before. Sometimes done. Most times not. Relax!

Sent from my GT-S5360B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Aahhhh.......rolleyes.gif That ever calming and rational input. Thanks Jingthing. wai.gif How was the food?

The nice thing about Pattaya is: Whatever you want, it's all within 10 minutes walking distance.

So, unless one is wheelchair- dependent, Let's bypass this 10 Bht-Mafia and let's start walking. Just by doing this, I have lost 5 pounds over the last 15 years, without having to join any of Tony's fitness-clubs.biggrin.png

Cheers.

• Like 1

The nice thing about Pattaya is: Whatever you want, it's all within 10 minutes walking distance.

So, unless one is wheelchair- dependent, Let's bypass this 10 Bht-Mafia and let's start walking. Just by doing this, I have lost 5 pounds over the last 15 years, without having to join any of Tony's fitness-clubs.biggrin.png

Cheers.

10 minutes on foot or 2 hrs by car............ Pattaya eats dick when it comes to traffic.

Supply and Demand. Still too many Baht-Buses around, that help to pollute the air. Oversupply = Hard to increase price. Nothing new, pure economics.

Cheers.

Virtually every poster missed my point. I am not "whining" about 10 baht going to 20 baht (although I do think it should remain 10 baht all the way to Central Road). I am pissed at the inconvenience they are creating. Let me state some facts: 1) there really is a baht bus mafia, 2) in the past they took you from Jomtien to Central Road for 10 baht, and you did not have to change buses (the unstated rule was 10 baht to Central Road and another 10 baht after), 3) now they are stopping and forming a cue at South Road, making it much more inconvenient for passengers because you have to change buses at South Road. How many people like that? It is hot outside. I do not like having to stop, and get out, and then get into another bus, and wait and wait and wait for passengers before the driver will finally move. It is really inconvenient! They are charging more, yes, but why not just do that across the board! Why make a baht bus switch on a well-known, well-traveled route? By the way, I have a truck. I could drive it, but that is not convenient because I can't find a place to park! The baht bus mafia does, very often,cheat customers. That is why so many are driving around the town with no passengers searching for a sucker (often a tourist from Russia or Japan or Korea) to rip off. That is why they let you get in, drive down the road a bit, then stop in some isolated spot and ask you "where are you going" and then demand an outrageous price to get you there. That is why they pack us in like sardines in a can at the cues. We should not have sympathy for them. This is a real problem that needs a solution.

Well if you pissed off about the inconvenience, you can always take a motorcycle taxi or just a taxi.

I do not believe anyone is forcing you to use baht bus,and a 10 baht a ride, you really can not be complaining about being packed like sardines.

If you like your space and comfort, you do not use public transport.

• Like 1