Thailand To Regain Its Role As World's Leading Rice Exporter

webfact

"....she is certain Thailand will regain its leading position as the world's No. 1 rice exporter this year ."

And I am certain Thailand will have High Speed Rail by Christmas.

What is she smoking?

If this usual exaggerated claim isn't realised we will hear nothing more about it from government sources

Well that's where the opposition should come in and ask questions and keep asking until they get an answer.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another 'White Lie' from the Puea Thai government. Every statistic says the World is awash in surplus rice, the government will have to admit their financial losses if they sell at market prices, and the rice in storage is of questionable quality. Who does she think will believe her? Certainly no one in the rice trade.

I was at a Vietnamese temple last weekend.. They are having a good laugh on Thailand vis a vis rice. And yes, if they dumped all the rice they have stored up at 1/2 price, they would again be the #1 rice exporter, but in volume. They would lose their shirts, but hey, we're #1. coffee1.gif

Maybe a bunch of uneducated hick red shirts will believe her but the vast majority of Thais and foreigners know this ain't going to happen. All I know is that when the PT supporters realise they've been duped and used there's going to be a serious backlash.

Farmers were promised the moon on a stick and from what I understand they are still waiting for the stick with anticipation.

As the number one exporter of rice, Thailand, you had the lead and you blew it by thinking short term by believing the PT promises. They have enriched themselves at your expense. It's like waiting for Nokia to be the world's number one phone seller again.

• Like 2

Another 'White Lie' from the Puea Thai government. Every statistic says the World is awash in surplus rice, the government will have to admit their financial losses if they sell at market prices, and the rice in storage is of questionable quality. Who does she think will believe her? Certainly no one in the rice trade.

I was at a Vietnamese temple last weekend.. They are having a good laugh on Thailand vis a vis rice. And yes, if they dumped all the rice they have stored up at 1/2 price, they would again be the #1 rice exporter, but in volume. They would lose their shirts, but hey, we're #1. coffee1.gif

So, now the monks are world favorite at understanding the world economy? Good thinking!!

She said even though currently both India and Vietnam export more rice than Thailand, she believed the two countries would export less in the second half of this year, for they would have smaller rice harvests and less rice in their stocks.

Looks like she's got the dial-a-drought app on her iPhone. rolleyes.gif

Most of the people in my immediate area did not have a sucessful rice harvest this year, so it is really hard to believe they have/will gain it back. Maybe in buying their own rice back to eat...lol We have maybe 5 bags of sticky rice left but the Jasmine , we have been buying for 3 months now. Harvest from 76 Rai........

Interesting to see how few people on here have been fooled by the preposterous suggestion that Thailand has any chance whatsoever of re-gaining the #1 rice export position by the end of the year; but the vast majority of Thais don't even know they're not #1 any more.

As the problem is the inflated price being paid to Thai farmers, a policy that is a direct order from PTP's little tin god, and not the high THB, I can only assume her position allows her insider knowledge as to the timing of the next coup. Hopefully, she is correct.

So, what are you saying, pay the farmers less? Good idea make the people of Esaan suffer, God get an understanding!!!

Where is the money supposed to come from? Do you really think that a government which is running high deficits and getting worse should be buying rice for twice what it's worth? Do you really think they should be jeopardizing the solvency of the government owned Agricultural Bank in borrowing money, perhaps as much as 700 billion baht to buy rice at inflated prices?

I submit that the government wasn't really buying rice, but votes.

In doing so, they destroyed Thailand's rice exporting economy.

Growing rice is supposed to be a private, for-profit, business enterprise from the smallest to the largest farmer. When people go into business, some go broke.

If a Thai in Isaan opens a bar, do you think the government should buy beer from him at 1,000 baht per bottle just so he'll have lots of money? In particular, do you think the government should do that if it jeopardizes the banking system? Or rather, do you realize that the guy opening the bar has to sink or swim on his own?

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

As the problem is the inflated price being paid to Thai farmers, a policy that is a direct order from PTP's little tin god, and not the high THB, I can only assume her position allows her insider knowledge as to the timing of the next coup. Hopefully, she is correct.

So, what are you saying, pay the farmers less? Good idea make the people of Esaan suffer, God get an understanding!!!

Why is the government paying farmers at all. The government is run by political hacks, handpicked by Thaksin, who know almost nothing about market forces or commodities in general. Why not let market forces determine what farmers get paid? If it profitable, carry on. If it is not profitable, grow another crop. Even the government knows the current system is not sustainable.

So, now the monks are world favorite at understanding the world economy? Good thinking!!

So, only monks are at Vietnamese temples? Maybe some worshippers were discussing rice. You sure are quick to jump to conclusions. The WTO will not let Thailand 'dump' rice on the World market at half price. BTW BrianCR monks are World travelers and are well-educated and up-to-date on most subjects. I know because one of my customers is a monk and we have conversations on a wide range of subjects.

• Like 1

Interesting to see how few people on here have been fooled by the preposterous suggestion that Thailand has any chance whatsoever of re-gaining the #1 rice export position by the end of the year; but the vast majority of Thais don't even know they're not #1 any more.

Anyone involved with rice knows they are not #1 now and do not like it. My wifes family are involved in rice production and do not like what is happening as they can see the longterm threat to Thailands standing.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The bottom line is Thaksin has screwed up one of Thailand's biggest and best industries in order to buy votes and the 'great businessman' doesn't have a Plan B.

There's always a Plan B! The story isn't over yet and while the storage is a growing problem it threatens not just Thailand's rice image (manageable)but the stability of the government if the issue becomes front line rather than just bubbling away in the background. So far they have held the line with 'its the baht's fault', but this issue isn't going away. It just piles up.

Where is the money supposed to come from? Do you really think that a government which is running high deficits and getting worse should be buying rice for twice what it's worth? Do you really think they should be jeopardizing the solvency of the government owned Agricultural Bank in borrowing money, perhaps as much as 700 billion baht to buy rice at inflated prices?

I submit that the government wasn't really buying rice, but votes.

In doing so, they destroyed Thailand's rice exporting economy.

Growing rice is supposed to be a private, for-profit, business enterprise from the smallest to the largest farmer. When people go into business, some go broke.

If a Thai in Isaan opens a bar, do you think the government should buy beer from him at 1,000 baht per bottle just so he'll have lots of money? In particular, do you think the government should do that if it jeopardizes the banking system? Or rather, do you realize that the guy opening the bar has to sink or swim on his own?

NeverSure, according to BrianCR's logic, a Thai could open a bar in Isaan and charge B2000 a bottle and the natives would all rush back from Pattaya to be a part of the new wealth.

We would see how long the party lasted then.

• Like 1

"particularly from China, which is ordering big lots of rice from Thailand"

Would that be the about 20,000 tonnes in 5kg bags?

Anyway, as announced a few months ago about 40,000 tones or so of the 2005-2008 stock would be sold as animal feed for prices to be announced next month. That will create some space to stock new rice.

"particularly from China, which is ordering big lots of rice from Thailand"

Would that be the about 20,000 tonnes in 5kg bags?

Anyway, as announced a few months ago about 40,000 tones or so of the 2005-2008 stock would be sold as animal feed for prices to be announced next month. That will create some space to stock new rice.

That will make quite a dent in the stocks.

Every bag of rice in Big C Ubon today had flies/ants/bugs whatever they where in the bags. Not 1 or 2 but lots in each bag

Is this to do with the surplus and the fact they cant sell it quick enough?

Check your bags before you buy folks.

:D

• Like 2

Every bag of rice in Big C Ubon today had flies/ants/bugs whatever they where in the bags. Not 1 or 2 but lots in each bag

biggrin.png

This seems to be quite a common complaint these days, despite the fact that the stored rice has been saturated with insecticide.

biggrin.png

That is why the government is urging people to eat insects.

Then they will raise the price and call it the rice with the most protein in the world.

It's just a merchandising ploy.

biggrin.png

This seems to be quite a common complaint these days, despite the fact that the stored rice has been saturated with insecticide.

Well, he didn't say the bugs were alive.....

You don't understand. You want lots of live bugs. They are the protein, and they are the proof the rice isn't saturated with insecticides.

I won't buy inferior rice that doesn't have lots of live bugs in it. coffee1.gif

biggrin.png

Well, he didn't say the bugs were alive.....

You don't understand. You want lots of live bugs. They are the protein, and they are the proof the rice isn't saturated with insecticides.

I won't buy inferior rice that doesn't have lots of live bugs in it. coffee1.gif

Each to his own. I await the stuff getting rejected for pesticide residues. Presumably they use phosphene gas under plastic sheeting so it shouldn't hang around too long.

The reality is, it should probably be fumigated at least quarterly. Just the logistics of fumigating 20mn tons of produce is mind boggling.