2 Indian Medical Students Caught-Up In Pattaya Jet Ski Scam

Rimmer

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All I can think is that this is truly a situation that no one would like to be put into. Being surrounded leaves one with no alternatives to make a call for help or anything lest they trigger a beating or worse.

On that thought alone, I can truly say that my disgust for the Thai police goes to an even lower level than before, simply because they tolerate this element in their midst.

Rounding up ladyboys for simply loitering, but not rounding up these beasts for known robbery (and this is what has been described) is one good example of hypocrisy which leads to my disgust.

• Like 1

These daylight daily robberies are unbelievable.

And it's allowed to go on and on and on.

Who is at the end of the chain?

Is it an never-ending chain?

Is confiscated yaba just recycled back into the system?

And what about these poor Indians, just in this 1 instance, have to pay out to these daylight thieves?

ThaiVisa doesn't allow Pattaya critisism, yet still reports these bad acts of crime that it's members and tourists alike, get continually robbed.

The Thai community appear to shove these jet-ski scammers scams under the carpet, so why doesn't ThaiVisa?

Members appear to be sympathetic towards the scammed. Infact members seem to be very angry about the scammed.

"ThaiVisa doesn't allow Pattaya criticism"

90% of the threads on TV are filled with criticism about things real and imagined. And even the real things are augmented with imagination.

"And it's allowed to go on and on and on.

Who is at the end of the chain?

Is it an never-ending chain?"

Speaking of "going on and on and on," what would all the leading lights on TV do all day if they couldn't moan about how horrible everything in Thailand is? For some people it's like a hobby. Some people play golf, others read at the beach and then there are those who whine relentlessly. Not sure which is the least productive.

Good post, Suradit69, but as to being productive, I think everyone is quite happy with their hobby. That whining sound, I believe, is perhaps coming from your imagination. Respect.wai2.gif

• Like 1

There are too many vested interests in jet-ski scams - we've all seen the footage of police officers' involvement.

Consulates should issue a travel warning to all tourists not to use any jet-ski rentals - anywhere in Thailand - as a safety measure.

This really is more than just a black eye for tourism in Thailand. The Thai police and government really need to decide which is more important - the image of Thailand and the fairness toward tourists visiting the nation or the kick-backs received from this scam. But, with the violent threat of physical abuse this is extortion not just a scam.

The government and the police clearly made that decision years ago, you just don't like their decision!

For 45k I think I would be getting back on the jetski and disappearing over the horizon.

I always wondered what would happen if, knowing how they operate, you rented it and then drove it straight to another beach, leave it there and disappear.

Maybe this is a good opportunity to open legit jet ski rental services, with hired security tougher than the guys or the cops.

Maybe there's a market for a private militia, you know African style, for those who really need to rent jetskis here. Like a group of armed thugs bigger and badder than the ski boys that you hire for the duration of your water sports experience. Sure it would be pricey, but surely a fraction of the cost of getting scammed. Just a thought. coffee1.gif

You mean bigger and badder than the combined force of the jetski mafia and the Thai police (who split the profits)? Yeah, I don't think such a force will be allowed to operate in Thailand :-)

• Like 1

And the mandatory insurance plan, wasn't there supposed to be one?

There might be, but why should that benefit the Indians?

The purpose of the insurance is to cover damages to the jet skis thus leaving the customer out of the picture.

All I can think is that this is truly a situation that no one would like to be put into. Being surrounded leaves one with no alternatives to make a call for help or anything lest they trigger a beating or worse.

On that thought alone, I can truly say that my disgust for the Thai police goes to an even lower level than before, simply because they tolerate this element in their midst.

Rounding up ladyboys for simply loitering, but not rounding up these beasts for known robbery (and this is what has been described) is one good example of hypocrisy which leads to my disgust.

The ladyboys are not loitering, they are stealing. At least the jetski mafia has the courtesy of "asking" for your money, instead of just taking them :-)

And the mandatory insurance plan, wasn't there supposed to be one?

There might be, but why should that benefit the Indians?

The purpose of the insurance is to cover damages to the jet skis thus leaving the customer out of the picture.

I was trying to be funny, but guess I forgot a smilie or something. Anyway, even if they do have insurance, I am quite sure it would still not benefit the customers. This way the jetski mafia can get money from both the customers and the insurance!

OK, here's an idea.

Tourists want to ride.

Mafias want to get paid.

How about a reset.

Raise the prices dramatically on the rentals but do a huge PR campaign that riding is safe. There will be no more scams/damages unless it's clear to a toddler that you smashed up the machine.

Make it a set HIGH price, regulated by the city, no competition, no discounts possible.

Include the people getting paid now in future payments.

Increase volume.

No more violence.

Only losers would be tourists who hate jetskis.

Yes it's a horribly corrupt idea, and even THAT isn't really possible here, is it?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

"Eventually the price was negotiated down to 1,400 Dollars which was paid to the men. Straight after the incident the two Tourists made their way to the Tourist Police Station to report the incident. The case was then transferred to Pattaya Police Station for further investigation."

I do actually think the police will investigate this case as promised. They will eventually find out who the Indians gave the money to, so they can get their cut!

... which is more important - the image of Thailand ... or the kick-backs received from this scam

with "the image of Thailand", a copper cannot finance his 2nd wife, with cash he can...

• Like 1

I agree with you guys that these scams do put Thailand in a bad light. In 3 weeks I will be going to Phuket and to be honest I would love to take a jet ski out. It will surely be a lot of fun but I simply cannot risk it. This I believe is true for many other people and therefore the legitimate operators go out of business as they don’t get enough business.

This is also the reason that I only rent cars from big international car hire Companies.

At least the jetski mafia has the courtesy of "asking" for your money, instead of just taking them :-)

How ridiculous. What next? Jetski mafia gets charity status?

Mafia? The nerve! They're an affinity group. Don't be haters, y'all ...

• Like 1

There are too many vested interests in jet-ski scams - we've all seen the footage of police officers' involvement.

Consulates should issue a travel warning to all tourists not to use any jet-ski rentals - anywhere in Thailand - as a safety measure.

The Australian Government's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has long advertised this 'travel warning' regarding the jet ski nonsense via its "Smart Traveller" website

http://smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Thailand

One could imagine that if the Australian's are doing it, then the Americans and the British are also doing it.

and the police were shocked.. course they were.. Same mentality as a Thai deputy Prime Minister who was being interviewed on TV vehemently insisting that there is no prostitution nor prostitutes in Thailand, he actually said, ''there can't be, it's illegal''... But this jet ski stuff is really bad, not just Pattaya but , Phuket and to a smaller extent Samui.. That and the tuk tuk bullies, mental case taxi drivers and even more mental unlicensed ones, the skanks selling trips on the road side and taking people to a totally different destination, constant harassment every 20 feet by Indian tailors - does somebody in Mumbai airport stand by the check in asking ''are you off to Thailand, here. take this tailoring diploma'' .. It makes you wonder why any tourists come to Thailand when they can go cheaper to Vietnam or Cambodia and etc.... Something should be done, it won't be but it should be..

• Like 1

This really is more than just a black eye for tourism in Thailand. The Thai police and government really need to decide which is more important - the image of Thailand and the fairness toward tourists visiting the nation or the kick-backs received from this scam. But, with the violent threat of physical abuse this is extortion not just a scam.

To be honest the image of Thailand when it comes to Pattaya has nothing to do with jet ski's

At least the jetski mafia has the courtesy of "asking" for your money, instead of just taking them :-)

How ridiculous. What next? Jetski mafia gets charity status?

If you want to quote me, then please quote the whole sentence, and not just a piece out of context. Either way, I assumed people understood sarcasm, I even put a smilie at the end to help the slow ones :-)

and the police were shocked.. course they were.. Same mentality as a Thai deputy Prime Minister who was being interviewed on TV vehemently insisting that there is no prostitution nor prostitutes in Thailand, he actually said, ''there can't be, it's illegal''... But this jet ski stuff is really bad, not just Pattaya but , Phuket and to a smaller extent Samui.. That and the tuk tuk bullies, mental case taxi drivers and even more mental unlicensed ones, the skanks selling trips on the road side and taking people to a totally different destination, constant harassment every 20 feet by Indian tailors - does somebody in Mumbai airport stand by the check in asking ''are you off to Thailand, here. take this tailoring diploma'' .. It makes you wonder why any tourists come to Thailand when they can go cheaper to Vietnam or Cambodia and etc.... Something should be done, it won't be but it should be..

Fortunately none of the above applies to Chiang Mai.

We have no Jet Ski's and the Tailors are far more than 20 feet apart. In fact the tailors are not all Indian.

As for tuck tucks some may give you an unreasonable price but you can haggle for a lower price if no agreement the next one along will probably agree to your price.

• Like 2

Strange that police still did not sort out that scam. How many more times we will hear about it?

Why would they want to sort it out as long as they get their share of the scam?

• Like 1

Fortunately none of the above applies to Chiang Mai.

We have no Jet Ski's and the Tailors are far more than 20 feet apart. In fact the tailors are not all Indian.

As for tuck tucks some may give you an unreasonable price but you can haggle for a lower price if no agreement the next one along will probably agree to your price.

I agree, only downside is you cannot breathe half the time :-)

Oh, and I assume the young girls in CM just have fun with me because I am so handsome then, and that I no longer have to give them cash gifts afterwards? Wish I had known that years ago :-)