Foreigners And Thais Nothing In Common We Can Relate To, To Talk About

livinthailandos

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are five universal truths relating to interaction with other humans: to feel respected; to be asked rather than told; to have option over threats; a desire to know why; and a desire for a second chance. Weave any of those themes into a discussion concerning anything from the weather to fried rice, and you'll be having a meaningful conversation with anyone in the world.

I'm not pressing the like button on this one because it would be an understatement. Thank you Jasun.

There are five universal truths relating to interaction with other humans: to feel respected; to be asked rather than told; to have option over threats; a desire to know why; and a desire for a second chance. Weave any of those themes into a discussion concerning anything from the weather to fried rice, and you'll be having a meaningful conversation with anyone in the world.

I'm not pressing the like button on this one because it would be an understatement. Thank you Jasun.

OK let's take the first universal truth : "To feel respected"

I see my neighbor on my soi, the one eager to know every single detail about my life, and say " Sawadika", she ignores my greeting and turns her head the other way. She's been like this from day 1 with me, always refused to say "hello"

I see my other neighbor the nicer one, the one who does say Hello, so I say hello and ask her about the rude one, what's going on here, why would she refuse to say Hello?. As she is Thai and does not want to take part in conflict. So she just says "Mai Lu ! "

I feel disrespected and I don't know why.

I cannot earn any of my neighbor's respect (except one).

I will never have their respect and will never have any explanation, and frankly I'm starting not care.

Really meaningful experience !

In the immortal words of Daisy Kaew, Thai-Chinese and as pretty as a picture: 'Don't think too much baby.'

Sometimes you can find the 5 universal truths in the most unexpected of places.

Yes much easier to disengage a conversation when one don´t have answers for the questions being asked. coffee1.gif

Maybe the question could be asked ... as Westerners bought up under a moderately universal Education system taught to ... 'Tink too much'.

If you question everything, do you actually learn anything?

Do we not try and encapture and enjoy some of the simple pleasures that Thais seem to do without having to analyse, contemplate and dissect them?

I'm not saying that we have it wrong and Thais correct. For me, it is what it is.

Yes let's all be "unquestioning drones easily manipulated by an elite" as said previously

I think it is true that most Thais - poor upcountry people - don't have the educational background to discuss international, political/economic and philosophical issues.

I think it's also true that those few that do have the necessary education, don't have much interest in discussing such matters, perhaps for some reason specifically not with foreigners.

I find these facts to be true back home as well, just to a greater degree here.

I think the face issue is a factor as well as the fact that few Thais feel empowered to actually change fundamental social problems and cultural norms, they're conditioned to just accept reality as the powers that be have handed it down to them.

I have learned to get my intellectual stimulation elsewhere, but that leaves lots of other areas of life - arguably more important ones - where I find Thais have a lot to offer.

• Like 1

What I can't be bothered with is the " you don't know what it's like " brigade. I choose to never know what it's like, I want to enjoy life.

So stop telling us what to think, stop telling us we are wrong in what we witness everyday, if you can't be bothered to face reality

I can't help who you mix with, and my pals are of the opinion that the Thais wouldn't discuss anything with you anyway, as you, like most farangs in this country, rank behind the flea on the dogs back in order of importance.

I pity you that needs to live in a country with people you rate so lowly.

Thanks Cluey. While you are doing your thinking do me a favour please and not make pronouncements that could be construed by others as facts.

All the best.

Did you notice the "I think" preceding the sentences I assume you object to?

The fact is indisputable, that **I think** the same truths apply back home, just not as universally.

Thanks Cluey. While you are doing your thinking do me a favour please and not make pronouncements that could be construed by others as facts.All the best.

Did you notice the "I think" preceding the sentences I assume you object to?The fact is indisputable, that **I think** the same truths apply back home, just not as universally.

Point taken. Just be careful how a reader might construe though Cluey in the brief moment of reading posts on social media. Cheers.

Point taken. Just be careful how a reader might construe though Cluey in the brief moment of reading posts on social media. Cheers.

<deleted>.

If I take the time to phrase my posts carefully, it's not my problem if careless readers misunderstand.

<deleted>.If I take the time to phrase my posts carefully, it's not my problem if careless readers misunderstand.

Editor of the The Washington Post might disagree with you if you were his journalist.

A respectful plea for care please.

Sad to see people deal in absolutes... :coffee1:

You mean like ALL Thais are incapable of critical thinking?

I have to agree. :coffee1::coffee1:

Thanks for responding to this baiting with subtlety TB. Mine was going to be much more direct.

• Like 1

Editor of the The Washington Post might disagree with you if you were his journalist.

A respectful plea for care please.

Seems to me you're attaching more importance to political correctness than to expressing unpopular opinions honestly.

In which case (pretty far-fetched I must say) I'd probably start looking for another job.

Editor of the The Washington Post might disagree with you if you were his journalist.A respectful plea for care please.

Seems to me you're attaching more importance to political correctness than to expressing unpopular opinions honestly.In which case (pretty far-fetched I must say) I'd probably start looking for another job.

Your impertinence is not appreciated Cluey.

Your impertinence is not appreciated Cluey.

Yep that's me, servile and impertinent, shallow and pedantic, a bigot and sot.
Chill Cluey. A good editor will embrace views that are not 'politically correct'. Balancing opinion and fact is the hard part. Edited by SinglePot

Sad to see people deal in absolutes... coffee1.gif

I have to agree. coffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

Well I would say on both ends... Singlepot isn´t doing this thread a favor as he can´t read or give answers straight up. coffee1.gif

But when people tend to make it too personal, then you know when a thread has gone bad.

'Unquestioning drones'.

They sure as hell can smell the hostility of intelligent sophisticated educated farangs though.

Especially the women.

"Unquestioning drones" is a quote from a Thai man on this very forum.ie AnotherOneAmerican

If you were honest you would recognize there is no hostility towards Thai on from my part, rather a critic of an oppressing system.

So I am in fact I am taking side FOR Thai people.

The real question though, is : Why are you hostile toward me ?

Edited by Kitsune
  • Like 1

Sad to see people deal in absolutes... coffee1.gif

I have to agree. coffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

<snip>

But when people tend to make it too personal, then you know when a thread has gone bad.

Ran out of likes (to much time in the Photography Forum).

"But when people tend to make it too personal, then you know when a thread has gone bad."

+1 for the partial quote above ... wai.gif

• Like 1

'Unquestioning drones'.

They sure as hell can smell the hostility of intelligent sophisticated educated farangs though.

Especially the women.

<snip>

If that is a self-reflective question which speaks about your neighbours ...

Why do you think that they are un-social or hostile towards you?

Is it a Cultural difference?

Or maybe nothing in common we can relate to or talk about ?

'Unquestioning drones'.

Especially the women.

<snip>

I think he has a problem with western women

<snip>

I think he has a problem with western women

OIC ... I thought that it was the majority of your neighbours (you wrote in a previous post) ... must have recalled it wrong.

Like on the Forum ... you can't make all of the Members like you.

Heck ... I'm just happy if one will buy me a drink.

Speaking of which ... theblether or maxme ... must be your shout by now ... drunk.gif

• Like 2