Water shortages: tank and pump system costs.

NanLaew

I am in the market too

Not because of water shortage, but read here

I will look around today and if I find some promotion or good offer, I will post it here.

PS: I'll do the labour by myself.

Not that I would distrust somchai, but.....laugh.png

Edited by roban

P.S. our pump just blew up because we had a bad float valve in our guest bedroom's toilet. That room is rarely used, and the pump is in the back, so we couldn't hear it. It was cycling on and off and eventually blew up. Literally. A bit of a rush to get a new one installed. And of course, that model is no longer available, so the the plumbing had to be reworked to fit the new one. About a hour job by our plumber. Cost me 500B.

Just a couple of thoughts.

The size of the tank will depend upon how much water you consume and how often your mains supply is interrupted. ie - you probably need to store enough water to last you a couple of days if the mains supply is down. In my case a 2,000 litre tank for a family of 4.

When you install a water pump there may be a significant increase in water pressure. This will stress all the joints, seals, washers and valves inside the house - so watch for leaks.

If you suffer from power outages it might be a good idea to install a simple bi-pass so that you can switch to mains pressure when your pump is out of action (usually happens when you are half way through a shower).

The diagram is a good one. It shows the importance of a filter (system) and the necessity of bypass valves and the filter is placed before the tank.Plan with plenty of valves and bypass routes. Use good quality metal corps valves.

("Somchai" often does not care and installs all straight without valves and bypasses!)

Filtering is a topic on its own. A filter before the tank is usually a simple sediment filter ("PP").

After the tank you can install filters up to drinking water quality (but goes into the 5 digit price range).

A very basic sediment filter is below 1000 Baht.

The poster asks for a backup for a 4 bedroom house.

I guess the tank should not be smaller than 2000 l.

(look at your water bill and do your own math)

The price depends on the purpose.

If water is only to be used for (dish) washing, showering and not for drinking/cooking, then a simple blue plastic tank is OK.

Should be around 6000.

Tank should be protected from direct sunlight.

The pump for a two storey house should be around 250 watts. 5000 Baht is a good guess.

Don't buy too big, as - already described - the high pressure stresses the existing pipes and valves.

Edited by KhunBENQ

800 litre tank abt 450 Baht at TOA stores, but they are not as sturdy or ecologically friendly as other makes. High usage? I'd get 2 tanks. My 800 litre tank last about 5 days for 2 of us.

100 watt pump a little under 5000 Baht.

I did the plumbing myself. It was too easy, a bit of glue, a few lengths of pipe, joints and stopcocks.

Great water pressure - using the bum gun almost gives you a re-bore!! cheesy.gif

Homeworks nr BigC Sukhumvit road have eco tanks at 850 to 1,000 baht for 1,000 litres. Other shops about the same price.

Most places have the 100 watt pump for a fraction under 5000 Baht.

100 watt pump: do you have a two storey house as the topic starter asks about?

Single storey. But so much pressure it is incredible. Power shower? I have to turn the shower down to about 1/4 of a turn or I get blasted there too.

The shop said 100 watt is good for 2 storeys too.

Like Craig3365 mentioned above ^^^ about the showert head popping off. There is a fair amount of power in a 100 watt pump.

DONE!

Bought a 1000l tank (UV resistant) and a pump (Hitachi 150).

A few connectors and adapters. All together ~10.000 Baht.

Installed a "bypass-system" too, if the pump or something fails.

It's only a few meters of PVC pipe, some 90° angles/t-pieces and three cocks for the bypass.

And not forget, a few hours of labour and a few beer..tongue.png

post-97561-0-45552700-1371556331_thumb.j

post-97561-0-62208300-1371556342_thumb.j

Edited by roban
  • Like 1

DONE!

Bought a 1000l tank (UV resistant) and a pump (Hitachi 150).

A few connectors and adapters. All together ~10.000 Baht.

Installed a "bypass-system" too, if the pump or something fails.

It's only a few meters of PVC pipe, some 90° angles/t-pieces and three cocks for the bypass.

And not forget, a few hours of labour and a few beer..tongue.png

Job satisfaction :)

Can I ask how much for the tank and where from?

Job satisfaction smile.png

Tank was 5000 Baht incl. a few connectors and float.

Pump 150W = 5200 Baht, pump 100W = 4500 Baht

I bought everything in a shop at Soi Neurn Plub Wan, approximately 100 m distance to Sukhumvit.

My bypass-system:

post-97561-0-92651600-1371583753_thumb.p

Using pump and tank: Valve 1+2 open - valve 3 close

Bypassing pump and tank: Valve 1+2 close - valve 3 open

No rocket-science..smile.png

Edited by roban

A couple of thoughts for those doing this in the future:

Use a good quality metal cock (I've had PVC ones fail) screwed directly into the bottom of the tank (use iron reducers if needed), you don't want to empty the tank if a glued joint fails (they do).

Use maintenance unions to connect the pump, it's a real pain getting the pump out for a simple job if everything is glued.

Like this :

post-14979-0-87449000-1371593834_thumb.j

I found the home market on Sukhumvit road a few km south of Home Mart (same side) has the same tanks as Home Mart at about 20% less so worth the short drive. Sorry can't remember the name, sounds Korean, big sign outside.

I have been informed that the round pumps everybody seem to be using here are actually cyclic well pumps (goes on/off to regulate pressure). Homepro, and probably other shops, now stock a new type of "constant pressure" water pumps that are better suited for use with a water tank. I'll definitely get one of those when my old standard well pump gives up. They're a little more expensive but I think well worth the extra cost.

post-1539-0-10440200-1371612311_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I put a stopcock in about 1 metre after the tank outlet and one about 2 metres before the inlet.

The mains water goes to the house first and to the tank second.

I set mine up so that if I want to fill the tank when there is mains water, I can do so. When - like now - there is no mains water, I use the tank.

When there is mains water, I obviously do not use the tank as there is a lot of mains pressure.

I can also turn off the mains feed, turn on the pump and have the water recycle itself out of and into the tank again to aerate the water and stop it becoming stagnant.

That may sound a bit crazy but as I prefer to use the mains direct - when we have mains water - and not use the pump, it seemed a good idea at the time and saves on electric ;)

Two houses nearby have their mains water feed going in at the bottom of the tank!! The drain plug feeds the water to the house. I have no idea why they did that instead of feeding it through the top inlet.

Job satisfaction smile.png

Tank was 5000 Baht incl. a few connectors and float.

Pump 150W = 5200 Baht, pump 100W = 4500 Baht

I bought everything in a shop at Soi Neurn Plub Wan, approximately 100 m distance to Sukhumvit.

My bypass-system:

attachicon.gif19-06-2013 01-52-28.png

Using pump and tank: Valve 1+2 open - valve 3 close

Bypassing pump and tank: Valve 1+2 close - valve 3 open

No rocket-science..smile.png

Good information on where you purchased the tank itself for those who might be wanting to buy one in the futuire. A good guide and can save some people driving about looking for good prices. :)

I found the home market on Sukhumvit road a few km south of Home Mart (same side) has the same tanks as Home Mart at about 20% less so worth the short drive. Sorry can't remember the name, sounds Korean, big sign outside.

Guess you mean "Kanyong" (?) although this is on the northbound lane, while Home Mart is southbound.

Kanyong:

http://goo.gl/7CXwF

http://www.kanyonghomestore.com/

compgroup1_3.gif

Sounds Korean: Kanyong is the transcript of the Thai phrase "กันยง" meaning something like "happy together" rolleyes.gif

Edited by KhunBENQ

Guess you mean "Kanyong" (?) although this is on the northbound lane, while Home Mart is southbound.

Kanyong:

http://goo.gl/7CXwF

http://www.kanyonghomestore.com/

compgroup1_3.gif

Sounds Korean: Kanyong is the transcript of the Thai phrase "กันยง" meaning something like "happy together" rolleyes.gif

I think he might have meant Homeworks? (next to Big C)

Edited by topt

• 1 month later...

I have been informed that the round pumps everybody seem to be using here are actually cyclic well pumps (goes on/off to regulate pressure). Homepro, and probably other shops, now stock a new type of "constant pressure" water pumps that are better suited for use with a water tank. I'll definitely get one of those when my old standard well pump gives up. They're a little more expensive but I think well worth the extra cost.

attachicon.gif20130602_165357.jpg

So with this type of pump them a separate pressure tank isn't needed? Any reviews from people who are / have used this style of pump. The main thing i want to get away from is the constant on and off of the pump as well the surging of water pressure as the pump tries to keep a constant pressure when using water.

these pumps have an integrated pressure tank.

And yes, they deliver a constant pressure at all cocks.

No up + down.

If you live in a "two/three storey" house, you better buy a little bit more powerful one (150-200 watts minimum)

these pumps have an integrated pressure tank.

And yes, they deliver a constant pressure at all cocks.

No up + down.

If you live in a "two/three storey" house, you better buy a little bit more powerful one (150-200 watts minimum)

It's my understanding that it's the "round" pumps that have an integrated pressure tank (that's why they are bigger), while the constant pressure pumps do not. They instead cycle on every time you open a tap even to fill a glass of water to supply that constant pressure.

Sophon

There were two pumps at the auction house a few days ago, and one of them has been there for a couple months. Looked a bit rusty, under the cover.

As for Kanyong, I went there a couple of times, but got tired of the girl following me around the store, even though I told her that I didnt need any help. When I got to the checkout, with my 20 baht purchase, she told the clerk that I was stingy, I guess for not buying something I didnt need. So I never go back there again! They do seem to have a lot of stuff there, but I just dont like the staff hiding behind the shelves and watching me, waiting for their cut of the big deal.

There were two pumps at the auction house a few days ago, and one of them has been there for a couple months. Looked a bit rusty, under the cover.

As for Kanyong, I went there a couple of times, but got tired of the girl following me around the store, even though I told her that I didnt need any help. When I got to the checkout, with my 20 baht purchase, she told the clerk that I was stingy, I guess for not buying something I didnt need. So I never go back there again! They do seem to have a lot of stuff there, but I just dont like the staff hiding behind the shelves and watching me, waiting for their cut of the big deal.

Kanyong has closed down - looks like your boycott was very effective.

• Like 2