Crackdown On Powder, Bras And Water Guns

george

Songkran bans from BMA

post-128-1144086790_thumb.jpg

BANGKOK: -- High-pressure water guns are banned, as is rubbing powder on others. Paint and ice are out and young women are being urged not to wear skimpy tops.

Welcome to Songkran 2006 as dictated by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration.

BMA spokesman Puttipong Punnakan yesterday told a press conference to launch the official Songkran festivities at a public park under the Rama VIII Bridge in Bang Phat district that this year, Songkran would be celebrated traditionally and action would be taken against the sometimes over-the-top use of water.

The celebrations kick off on Saturday under the Rama VIII Bridge and continue from April 12 to 15 at Sanam Luang.

Sanam Luang will be heavily patrolled, with officials at checkpoints confiscating banned guns, paint and powder.

Extra security will also be rolled out along Khao San Road and in Santi Chaiprakarm Park.

--The Nation 2006-04-04

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, but no linguine, tagliatelli and certainly no cannelonni straps.

What about macaroni and lasagna ? Rigatoni ?

I agree, they should just go topless to avoid offending anyone with their skimpy tops :D

Also much simpler than cooking up batches of pasta :o

Geeze ... use as much high pressure waterguns as you want ..... as long as it is not aimed at motorcycles .... and skimpy tops are a good thing!

I am curious ... what ation will be taken against "over-the-top" stuff :o BiB 'you threw water ... 100 baht fine! '

just spare me from 2 things ..... water with icecubes in it ... and powder sprated in my eyes!

I Soooo love Songkran in Thailand (but I won't be in BKK for it!)

Does this mean that my friends at the Ban Pachi fire department won't be allowed to bring their water pistol :o

post-14979-1144122716_thumb.jpg

Incredibly, they had to go and fill it up half way through the celebrations. Talk about 'anointing the crowd' :D:)

I must admit that over the years Songkran has got out of hand so some regulation is needed, but telling the girls what to wear is going too far.

Lets make Thailand the hub of wet t-shirts.......... :o

Lets make Thailand the hub of wet t-shirts.......... :D

I'm not really keen on seeing too many wet t-shirts like this... :D

MVC-483X.jpg

Remind me to not hang out in the same parts of town that you do :D

(ps: where exactly do you live ?) :o

I agree Meadish...

For those who hate it.... for heavens sake... it's once a year!

It's just for fun - and if you go out dressed up to the nines into an area where the water festivities are in full swing - what do you expect?

I've lived in Thailand a long time, and the fun of Songkran is just that - sanuk!

Maybe the governement should set aside certain areas where people who wish to chuck water all over the place can do so - and then those who don't want to be involved can keep away and no-one will be offended by getting wet.

It's not as if it was cold weather either - wear a t-shirt and an old pair of shorts and enjoy some fun and get cool in the heat of April.

I admit that I am not terribly in favour of ice in the water either, but it's all in good humour - so just duck a bit.... geees...

Edited by Greer

We all are just concerned for the girls' safety.... Of course it's fun for the guys to look at the girls in those skimpy tops but do you know that some of those girls may not be able to make a trip home on that day. The rape rates in Thailand are high enough without seeing those skimpy tops, how many more girls do you guys want them to be raped?

Sorry for those gentlemen who loves those skimpy tops but who knows, there might be some so-called gentlemen await a chance to arrive.

Don't blame the Gov, blame those rapists!!!!!!

yeah okay, agreed.

But how can we raTe the girls if we can´t see anything.

Actually, come to think of it, I don´t agree.

Sure the rationale about rapists and all that, of course I do, but it´s like saying, "there are people who get out of hand drunk.... Close all bars" There are people who´ll steal your car, ban all cars....

"There are people who´ll mug you or murder you, never leave your home.:" There are people who´ll enter your home and do all the above, don´town a house..... AND NO NO RIGATONNI, in fact... see the gopvernement´s recently released list of banned shirt straps...

Anelli / aniline: small rings used for soup

Bucatini: Long medium tubes used for basic pasta dishes

Cannelloni: Large, thick round pasta tubes

Capelli d¡¦angelo: Thin strands of ¡¥angel hair¡¦ very similar to spaghetti

Cochiglie: Ridged tiny shells the size of lentils.

Cresti di gallo: curved shape, brown in colour.

Ditali/ ditalini: Short tubes similar to macaroni

Eliche: Loose spirals.

Farfalle: Bows used as an interesting shape for pasta and sauce dishes.

Fettuccine: Medium ribbons

Fusilli: Long twists often used in desserts and sweet dishes.

Gemelli: Two pieces wrapped together to look like ¡¥twins¡¦

Lasagne: Sheets of flat rectangular pasta

Linguini: Long flat ribbons similar to fettuccini.

Lumache: Snail-shaped shells

Lumaconi: Big shells often used for fillings

Macaroni: Long or short cut tubes, a favourite with cheese sauce.

Orecchiette: Ear-shaped

Penne: Quill shaped small pasta

Rigatoni: Thick ridged tubes

Spaghetti: Fine or medium rods

Tagliarini: Thin ribbons

Tagliatelle: broad ribbons

Vermicelli: Fine pasta, usually folded into skeins and stuffed/filled.

NO RIGATONNI, in fact... see the gopvernement´s recently released list of banned shirt straps...

Anelli / aniline: small rings used for soup

Bucatini: Long medium tubes used for basic pasta dishes

Cannelloni: Large, thick round pasta tubes

Capelli d¡¦angelo: Thin strands of ¡¥angel hair¡¦ very similar to spaghetti

Cochiglie: Ridged tiny shells the size of lentils.

Cresti di gallo: curved shape, brown in colour.

Ditali/ ditalini: Short tubes similar to macaroni

Eliche: Loose spirals.

Farfalle: Bows used as an interesting shape for pasta and sauce dishes.

Fettuccine: Medium ribbons

Fusilli: Long twists often used in desserts and sweet dishes.

Gemelli: Two pieces wrapped together to look like ¡¥twins¡¦

Lasagne: Sheets of flat rectangular pasta

Linguini: Long flat ribbons similar to fettuccini.

Lumache: Snail-shaped shells

Lumaconi: Big shells often used for fillings

Macaroni: Long or short cut tubes, a favourite with cheese sauce.

Orecchiette: Ear-shaped

Penne: Quill shaped small pasta

Rigatoni: Thick ridged tubes

Spaghetti: Fine or medium rods

Tagliarini: Thin ribbons

Tagliatelle: broad ribbons

Vermicelli: Fine pasta, usually folded into skeins and stuffed/filled.

Like I said, far easier for them to go topless than to have to figure out what kind of pasta straps are legal, then having to cook it and wear it. :o

Each year about 500 people die on the roads during songkran. And about 15,000 are injured. This is about 3 times more than average. Part of the reason is because of so much traffic on the road with everyone going home for Songkran. And part of the reason is because people are in party mood, getting drunk and throwing water at passing cars and motorbikes.

Its a very dangerous time on the roads in Thailand. If you have to travel by car during Songkran, make sure the driver takes extra care.

The powder and sexy top rule come together because during Songkran a lot of guys use the "talcon powder handprint" as an excuse for a free for all breast grabbing fest.

If you have a teenage daughter out playing Songkran it's probably in her best interest to not dress to provocatively.