Beach access on Surin Beach

suave

They cannot tell you to move if you were below the mean high-tide mark. They cannot own, or lease that land. End of story.

I know most countries use the mean high tide line as the marker, but I have asked a few Thais that should know, including the President of the Rawai Long Tail Boat Association and they have told me the highest tide mark is the King's land. I've tried looking it up online but no real answer. Do you know anything specific you can refer me to as to the law? Just interested...

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They cannot tell you to move if you were below the mean high-tide mark. They cannot own, or lease that land. End of story.

I know most countries use the mean high tide line as the marker, but I have asked a few Thais that should know, including the President of the Rawai Long Tail Boat Association and they have told me the highest tide mark is the King's land. I've tried looking it up online but no real answer. Do you know anything specific you can refer me to as to the law? Just interested...

No sorry. I just know that in most countries mean high tide is the division between land and sea, but, it wouldn't surprise me if highest astronomical tide mark is used instead.

Edited by KarenBravo

No sorry. I just know that in most countries mean high tide is the division between land and sea, but, it wouldn't surprise me if highest astronomical tide mark is used instead.

Thanks KB for your response.

Wow after reading the GM's response to your email is lame that guy should be Fired..... I would sent that letter to the local news and have them print that letter, and send to Twinpalm head office. if there are looking for a new GM I'm available. When you start to mess with the beach only next stop is Burma. So sorry Thailand so over your Bull sh-t, good luck w/no tourist, dirty beaches overpriced food and lodging. The next 2 years are going to something to watch and see how phuket turns out.

Sent from my A200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Well the way I read it Olivier is telling you to go somewhere else , namely , the 'central part of the beach' ... where they are not.

But in short , and with apologies , he is saying that, in co-operation 'with local space holders' ( read whatever threats you want to in that reference) Twin Palms controls and maintains the area in question.

I wouldnt get sidelined with any other issue about being in the way .

He says , like roads etc , the sand is public property.

Print a copy and underline in red that part and his name, and show it to anyone who questions you in future.

The situation could get 'hotter' however...

• Like 1

I'm on the fence with this.

The email is bullshit and he seems like a real prick but I also see his point.

Same goes for boathouse and rekata.

They maintain the beach outside and keep it nice and free of local chairs and rubbish.

Can you imagine the chairs and stores set up on the sand outside catch beach club if they didn't control it?

Still, they shouldn't be harrassing a guy on his own.

Forward the email to phuketwan, he loves the beach encroachment stories.

• Like 2

They maintain the beach outside and keep it nice and free of local chairs and rubbish.

Can you imagine the chairs and stores set up on the sand outside catch beach club if they didn't control it?

That is where I got this guys email, and I have included him. Dont know if he wants to do a story on it or not.

That is where I got this guys email, and I have included him.  Dont know if he wants to do a story on it or not.

The email highlights corruption. From a GM that's seems quite accepting of it.

I would forward it and see where it goes.

The way I read the meaning of the letter was, pay up or move as we control this section of beach, regardless if it's public or not. I haven't been to Surin in years, but is the club on the sand with nary a land title in sight, or are they sitting on properly titled land?

The way I read the meaning of the letter was, pay up or move as we control this section of beach, regardless if it's public or not. I haven't been to Surin in years, but is the club on the sand with nary a land title in sight, or are they sitting on properly titled land?

From what i understand this guy is over seeing a few properties. The club sits on both sides of the road with a serving area built on the sand of the upper beach and then the lounge chairs further out.

He will not publish anything, because Twinpalm Group is his biggest advertiser. You don't bite the hand that feeds you, even for encroachment stories.

• Like 2

That is where I got this guys email, and I have included him. Dont know if he wants to do a story on it or not.

Seeing as both Catch and Twinpalms are advertisers on Phuketwan you might experience some reluctance.

He will not publish anything, because Twinpalm Group is his biggest advertiser. You don't bite the hand that feeds you, even for encroachment stories.

The power of the press to expose injustices cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

I find that particular sight very selective on whose injustices it exposes...

Some they go for the jugular, others they condone and go all out to deflect criticism....whistling.gif

The power of the press to expose injustices cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

I find that particular sight very selective on whose injustices it exposes...

Some they go for the jugular, others they condone and go all out to deflect criticism....whistling.gif

Yeah.......like the new Tiger park in Phuket.

• Like 1

I am going to suggest something here that amuses me. Perhaps all of you could take a trip down to the Surin beach and sit close Mr Nut' lounge chairs at the "Catch Beach Club" and see if he is interested in chasing everyone away?

Why you insist on sitting at the perhaps, "wrongfully" from Catch Beach club occupied land? Surin beach is not so short. rolleyes.gif

Because you want to be with people,as you feel fearful alone in the middle section of the beach when swimming, you write.

So, lay down in the middle section and go swimming near one of the more frequented beach clubs.whistling.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

Fair play to Olivier for taking the time to reply to your email, apologise and explain how the beach rental works.

He said you can use the land that he rents, or the central part of the beach or any other providers area. What more could he say?

He says that he can use the beach club land only if he uses their services.

There should be NO conditions attached. The beach does not belong to them.

He pays for it probably in the region of 1-2 million per year. The person who is creating the problem is the local and provincial government who condone the beach rentals.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Shoot the messenger? Why not? The messenger is the one that wants money for something that is legally free.

The agreement between the beach club and whomever else is clearly illegal. Why should the OP condone this illegality, or, even recognize this illegal agreement?

Edited by KarenBravo

He pays for it probably in the region of 1-2 million per year. The person who is creating the problem is the local and provincial government who condone the beach rentals.

So he is acting illegally and knows that, but 'that is ok because he is making illegal payments for it'?

Sorry, but that makes no sense whatsoever.

So he is acting illegally and knows that, but 'that is ok because he is making illegal payments for it'?

Sorry, but that makes no sense whatsoever.

The government rents the beach....any issues about the legality of that rental should be taken up with them. Sorry but that makes perfect sense to me.

No.....the customer doesn't pay, the beach club should take it up with the government.

Some corrupt official rented out land that does not belong to the government.

The beach belongs to HRM.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

In my mind the person that is complaining is the one that needs to take it up with the relevant authority

No.....the customer doesn't pay, the beach club should take it up with the government.

In my mind the person that is complaining is the one that needs to take it up with the relevant authority

You'll have to agree to disagree with all other posters, too.

• Like 1

That is the reason I posted here to start. I wanted info on where to get help on this matter, I simply wanted to be able to sit on the beach where I was swimming without being harassed for it. If you know the relevant place to make a complaint then please provide it as I dont know, but would like to.

That is the reason I posted here to start. I wanted info on where to get help on this matter, I simply wanted to be able to sit on the beach where I was swimming without being harassed for it. If you know the relevant place to make a complaint then please provide it as I dont know, but would like to.

Local OrBorTor and/or tourist police. Though probably neither will get you anywhere.

• Like 2

Has anybody ever tried to do the same on Patong Beach? I'm sure much the same. If you pay big money to you know who for your 100 m of beach, you don't want somebody coming up and throwing down a towel. I don't agree with the system, but that's the way it is.