Bus Packed With Tourists Crashes Into Surat Thani Bridge

Lite Beer

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bus driver clipped my wife's car whilst taking a corner at traffic lights, and caused some fairly minor damage.

Whilst my wife was exchanging details, the driver begged her not to report it, as he had killed a motor cyclist the day before.

What the hell was he doing driving after the previous day's tragedy?. There is clearly no control and shows how dangerous some of the (tour) bus drivers can be.

Very sad.

Note to self to apply a gentle sleeper hold to any Thai Bus Driver who crashes a bus I'm on...provided he tries to do a runner,and I'm in any condition to apprehend him...hard to do a runner when you're out cold.

Note to QualityTouristNumberOne (or anyone else who wants to ignore this advice): It's probably not a good idea to do anything remotely resembling attempting to enforce Thai law (even if you happen to know or think you know what the applicable Thai law is). What you are advocating could be considered assault. Even helping the injured may be risky business - if one that you administered aid to dies, for example.

Edited by MaxYakov

I actually feel for the driver this time. Poor guy stressed out and trusting the local, not being able to focus on warning sign (was there one)?

Any news on Thaivisa, and the Thaihaters appears from under their bridges!!bah.gif

Accidents like the one in the OP happens all over the world. Just before moving here, 3 of my customers were killed in a simular accident. Happened in Copenhagen! With a trained driver, new bus (everything in working order), but just like here not familiar with the route.

I anyone should be blamed here, it should be the friendly person, who try to help guiding the driver and didn't think about the low bridge and the too high bus.

Good, at least nobody killed! wai2.gif

I sure am glad no one is blaming the Thai Department of Transportation. There is no need to have standards on bridge and vehicle heights. Yeah, yeah, who is going to enforce it anyway?

From the look of the bridge , not the only person to have hit it !

Another undertrained driver without the skills to drive a bus

Lucky no deaths this time

Sent from my iPhone 6

using ThaiVisa app

"Mr. Anurak claimed he did not notice the bridge in front of him, which was only 2.8 metres high above ground, as he was focusing with the leading car. Moments later, his tour bus, height 3.3 metres, crashed squarely into the bridge."

Where do they get these drivers? Perhaps the same places the British Navy got their sailors back in the 1600s??

It might help, in order to prevent such accidents, to install 100 meters and 50 meters before the bridge a device with wooden bars hanging at a hight of 2.8 meters. The bus would have hit the bars with a bang and have warned the driver of the danger ahead.

I do not blame the driver too much for his mistake. Imagine you drive the bus at night and heavy rain under an unsecuerd bridge like that. You had to concentrate so hard on the street and might easily overlook the obstacle above your bus. And yes, he concentrated on the leading car infront of his bus. Don't understand why he ran away.

And, as one wrote before, please give a GPS to all bus drivers to help them to find their right way. Would have been much cheaper to prevent this accident, than to pay for the damage of material and loss of face.

To the injured persons, a quick and total recovery.

Wait, you're not trying to be logical are you?

I always wondered why the VIP seating section on long distance buses was in the lower level of the bus. Now I know...... :-)

Gawley, that's not just your TV handle is it?

Trying to increase your post count ?? Were you trying to spell golly ??

Edited by EyesWideOpen

Thailand is fast becoming an absolute joke in the world of tourism. We hear of accidents, vilence, rip offs against tourists everyday on this site. The Government is too concerned about their own pocketsand well being to see how it is ruining this country. No wonder there are so many Westerners leaving for Cambodia and Philippines; and others who have vouched never to return.

Good post.

I think this deserves its own thread/forum, "Thailand vs. Philippines vs. Cambodia vs. Vietnam vs. Malaysia" with respect to tourist/expat well-being, ie. crime, safety, accidents, ripoffs and quality-of-life issues.

Any news on Thaivisa, and the Thaihaters appears from under their bridges!!bah.gif

Accidents like the one in the OP happens all over the world. wai2.gif

A true thai apologists speaks ( "Its the same all over the world") Huh If you dont like it then-----------------.

A true thai apologists speaks ( "Its the same all over the world") Huh If you dont like it then-----------------.

oh wait there is more.

the driver couldn't actually see the bridge because it was obscured behind the profusion of amulets. yeah happens all over the world clap2.gif

oh wait there is more.

the driver couldn't actually see the bridge because it was obscured behind the profusion of amulets. yeah happens all over the world clap2.gif

Reckon before you start spouting off, you might try googling a bit and you'll be able to put it into perspective. I got 162, 000 hits....

e.g.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtpZSNY8yNE

http://www.google.co.th/search?q=bus+%22under+bridge%22+collision&lr=&hl=en&as_qdr=all&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=X13pUZrdBoT-rAfCo4HwAg&ved=0CDUQsAQ&biw=1382&bih=633

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

On either side of low headroom structures, like that bridge, which cross a road, there could be a wooden structure built. Place it about 100 meters before the bridge underpass, and make it somewhat flimsy but strong enough for wind gusts. An approaching vehicle with too much height will hit the wooden collapsible structure before the concrete bridge.

I always wondered why the VIP seating section on long distance buses was in the lower level of the bus. Now I know...... :-)

Ain't the the way its spelt in the good ole USA?

We forget, Thailand is a "developing country" - safety, accountability, and thinking of the "what ifs" is not part of the culture--yet.

So let's see here. Every Thai driver needs to get hit head on before they "develop" common sense??? Really?? Since when does "culture" supercede common sense?? Culture cannot teach someone common sense. It's an innate concept.

Just curious how does a "developing" country imbue "safety, accountablility and thinking" to drivers who have no common sense?

• Like 1

Accidents like the one in the OP happens all over the world. Just before moving here, 3 of my customers were killed in a simular accident. Happened in Copenhagen! With a trained driver, new bus (everything in working order), but just like here not familiar with the route.

I anyone should be blamed here, it should be the friendly person, who try to help guiding the driver and didn't think about the low bridge and the too high bus.

Good, at least nobody killed! wai2.gif

Yeah good post , accident yesterday truck hit a bus 19 passengers dead, amazing Thailand. Govt minister for transport wants a crack down on truck drivers falling asleeeeeeeeeeep

Ain't the the way its spelt in the good ole USA?

DUH ?

From the look of the bridge , not the only person to have hit it !

Another undertrained driver without the skills to drive a bus

Lucky no deaths this time

Sent from my iPhone 6

using ThaiVisa app

"Mr. Anurak claimed he did not notice the bridge in front of him, which was only 2.8 metres high above ground, as he was focusing with the leading car. Moments later, his tour bus, height 3.3 metres, crashed squarely into the bridge."

Where do they get these drivers? Perhaps the same places the British Navy got their sailors back in the 1600s??

Stockport?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-23478679

Edited by evadgib