Briton 'committed suicide' in Chiang Mai hotel room

webfact

So sad,she is gone,but leaves relatives and friends to carry on with pain and mourning, suicide is a very selfish thing, i hope it was worth it..RIP.

Interesting comment.

In this poor woman's case she stated that she had been living with chronic pain for several years and had finally had enough. I believe it is every person's right to decide when things are no longer bearable.

Is it more selfish to force someone to live in constant pain rather than accept the decision to gain a final release?

Every case must surely be judged by itself. There are certainly very tragic cases of suicide, where maybe with the help of relatives and friends a short term emotional problem could have been overcome.

But with chronic pain, progressive debilitating diseases, severe disabilities and similar problems the will of the poor sufferer must surely take precedence over what others (selfishly) want?

What a blow to her husband, this will scar him for the rest of his life. That was selfish.

According to the note her husband new of her plans, maybe that is why he recently went home and left her in Thailand alone.

They've got a photo of her body being carried down the corridor in a black bag. That's nice of them eh? Look at this quote from the comments......

I saw this story & wondered if Ian knew. As he lives locally to me & I recognized the phone number I called him to let him know. Unfortunately he didn't know his wife had passed & I was the informant. Even on Thai time I thought the authorities would have been in contact with him after 24hrs!!

I'm not keen on giving this article publicity however if the mods can forgive me I'll link, see for yourself,...

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=2163

i cant see the point of getting offended, it is the same consideration the newspapers would offer a thai suicide. you surely dont believe that her british citizenship singled her out for additional consideration?

cold as it sounds, i would think killing yourself in a hotel room is a fairly decisive way to relinquish your privacy. sounds to me like she got exactly the attention she wanted. her note was quite clear. her life her decisions. the newspaper has not caused any undue suffering to her family, she did that all by herself

i must ask however, despite your stated objections, why post the link?

I posted the link so that people could see the comments attached to the article. This is a prime example of how hurtful and stupid some of these reports are, and how hurtful and stupid some of the comments on these threads are.

I don't know this lady's circumstances but for me there is a line between selfish and non-selfish.

I walked up the stairs and found my brother hanging on the end of a rope.

No suicide note, nothing.

Top guy too.

Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

7 years ago.

I don't know Mrs Robinson's circumstances.

They've got a photo of her body being carried down the corridor in a black bag. That's nice of them eh? Look at this quote from the comments......

I saw this story & wondered if Ian knew. As he lives locally to me & I recognized the phone number I called him to let him know. Unfortunately he didn't know his wife had passed & I was the informant. Even on Thai time I thought the authorities would have been in contact with him after 24hrs!!

I'm not keen on giving this article publicity however if the mods can forgive me I'll link, see for yourself,...

Bloody shocking. They have no compassion whatsoever.

So sad,she is gone,but leaves relatives and friends to carry on with pain and mourning, suicide is a very selfish thing, i hope it was worth it..RIP.

i will try again, (for the critics) So sad, meaning situation , she may be gone now, but leaves a bit of an emotional mess behind for loved ones and people who cared for her, suicide is a very selfish thing, i hope she has found a better place, RIP....coffee1.gif

Keep trying...

• Like 1

i cant see the point of getting offended, it is the same consideration the newspapers would offer a thai suicide. you surely dont believe that her british citizenship singled her out for additional consideration?

Indeed it shouldn't. However it is in Citylife / CM City News, which is a publication with standards that are (were?) miles above the typical bloodlust and voyeurism on display in the Thai language press.

They should be better than that. I think it's time for k. Pim to have a word with this editor about some of the choices he's making recently. There was another thing too a couple weeks ago that was insanely insensitive.

I am sorry to disagree... Suicide is not selfish... She had her reasons and let she keep her dignity. RIP

• Like 1

Not a Thai site but an interesting article regarding the media and suicide reports.

The conclusion, since confirmed in studies around the world, was clear: certain kinds of news media reporting of suicides lead to copycat deaths.

It was not the first such study, but it was one of the most conclusive to date.

Since that Viennese study, there has been a huge cultural shift in how the Austrian media report suicides, says Thomas Niederkrotenthaler, of the Medical University of Vienna.

He's one of the world's leading experts on the role of media reporting in suicide prevention.

He says Austrian news media still report suicides, as often as before, but mostly gone are lurid headlines, graphic photos, details of the method, prominent page one placement, language that tends to glorify the act, or suggest it is a solution, and rehashing of the same details in the period immediately afterwards - all factors shown to increase the risk of copycat suicides.

As a result, "the most common type of report [of a completed suicide] in the Austrian media is not associated with an increase in suicide", he says.

The Viennese approach, of working with the news media to tone down sensationalist coverage of suicides, has had a huge influence on suicide prevention strategies.

Authorities in dozens of countries now have guidelines that encourage the media to report suicide in a way which minimises the risk of copycats.

More - http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/opinion/perspective/8909431/Suicide-reporting-rules-under-review

Worth it?

How on earth can anyone determine whether this poor woman's suicide was 'worth it'?

It's just a very sad way for a person's life to end.

One thinks its worth it,the other doesn't, i sometimes forget how some TV members take sarcastic remarks so seriously, suicide is never worth it!!!!

Obviously a suicide is an unpleasant event for families and friends, but for the person that commits the suicide the matter is regarded as essential and worthy for themselves, otherwise they would not do it.

• Like 1

Indeed it shouldn't. However it is in Citylife / CM City News, which is a publication with standards that are (were?) miles above the typical bloodlust and voyeurism on display in the Thai language press.

They should be better than that. I think it's time for k. Pim to have a word with this editor about some of the choices he's making recently. There was another thing too a couple weeks ago that was insanely insensitive.

i no that case you mentioned,and it was a close friend of mine,and i still puke at the thought,the images that were portrayed.