Enclosing a downstairs bedroom ... need advice please ...

David48

Not sure if I understand post 26, why would you be attaching chicken wire to a ceiling frame? There's not 1 reason I can think of to do so.

Sent from my LG-E612 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

kris ... no problems, let me see if I can explain. And also remember, this isn't my place, so what ever I spend, I walk away from at the end of the day.

We start with this ... post-104736-0-97615400-1381565890_thumb.

It's a bare ceiling and the radiant heat is an issue.

Now, sure, it's an option to install a raked ceiling but ...

... but, the termite issue is a major problem. So, if you put in a ceiling, it just gives a cavity for the termites to build a nest in.

I can't underestimate how much of a problem they are. <deleted> ... they ate through the plastic insulation and into the electric cable ... shorting both of them.

The batons are a bit less of an issue, particularly if there is a small gap left between the installed insulation and the battens. The beams, if they are eaten through, will bring the roof down.

So, this is an example of an under floor insulation ... but the concept is valid.

under-floor_insulation_chicken_wire.gif

or ...

under-floor_insulation_wire_hangers.gif

... so the chicken wire simply 'holds up' the insulation.

The place is slowly sinking into the Bangkok mud and the termites have eaten through 1/2 the place ... so why spend the good money?

If, I went this way, you would use an enclosed batt, not one which would drop fibreglass fibres.

wow, better you than me, there is no saving that place

Yeah can't help but agree. Maybe it's to far gone mate. I'd use the 200k and build a new small grannyflat style place. I know it isn't really what you want or can't do. How about if you enclosed the new garage and turned that into a new room then just build a lean to at the side for the car?