9 foreigners suspected in fund scam - Standard Morgan (Thailand)

webfact

INVESTMENT
9 foreigners suspected in fund scam

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) plans the arrest warrants for nine foreign individuals involving with Standard Morgan (Thailand), alleging them of operating an illegal investment fund.

At the press conference today, the DSI revealed the names of the nine individuals with different nationalities - Ronald Hodges, manager of the fund; David Lim; Eugene Yew Jin Wei; Wang Rongbiao; Vic Phua; Ryan NY; Jimmy (unknown family name); Andy (unknown family name); and Leo Lee Chan.

DSI chief Tarit Pengdith said on Wednesday that DSI is acting on the request by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).

The DSI attempted to freeze some 20 bank accounts which may have been used for the illegal fund mobilisation. Opened by Thai and foreign nationals, many of them were closed before the freeze. Only about Bt15 million remained in the remaining accounts.

The DSI investigation showed that Standard Morgan (Thailand)’s fund has mobilised about Bt1 billion during July 2012 and August 2013 from about 300 investors.

The fund was established on July 14, 2012 and it was inaugurated at a major hotel in Bangkok on October 23, 2012.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-05

The DSI attempted to freeze some 20 bank accounts which may have been used for the illegal fund mobilisation. Opened by Thai and foreign nationals, many of them were closed before the freeze. Only about Bt15 million remained in the remaining accounts.

Did they also hold a press conference naming which accounts would be frozen?

• Like 2

why do they name names in some reports but say they are not allowed in others...... sorry, i get it now, these are farang.

and while the article mentions Thai's were involved in setting up some of the bank accounts, no mention of Thai's being arrested or implicated. I am guessing the Thai's managed to clean out their accounts and pay off the relevant people.

Wow took everyone nearly a year to wake up to this scam..and they flew the nest with nearly all the money to boot!

Makes the California WoW Gym debacle appear like chicken feed in comparison...Someone's having a right

good drink somewhere exotic right now laughing at this well executed sting reading this!

Edited by sydneyjed

why do they name names in some reports but say they are not allowed in others...... sorry, i get it now, these are farang.

Yep, you got it in one. A land of corruption cannot investigate it's own, wonder why ?. Take toooooo long and nobody will ever want to point a finger cos the finger will be pointed back. sad.png

• Like 1

With a name like Standard Morgan it should immediately raise alarm bells. Not very creative with company names are these boiler room operators.

spot on .

If I came across a company with that name I would run the other way. giggle.gif

I wouldn't even give them 5 min of my time, let alone one baht of my money.

Don't people have enquiring minds?

And on the next report they will show pictures of all the 9 foreigners with Royal Thai Police pointing fingers at them, no doubt that all falangs only come to Thailand to make scam blink.png

They employ staffs to call and to look for customers.

Yes the 'boiler stokers'...usually younger guys on a small retainer who earn their commissions if and when they succeed in 'boiling a client'...

In this case the scam was some what more sophisticated actually having the brains and gaul to set up what appeared to be a perfectly legitimate

reputable futures' trading web site based on a name similar to one that actually was..Quite different from the normal Arfur Daley

spivs that cold call clients from a telephone list prepared for them daily to Australia or Canada for example and who hang out down soi 11,

Cowboy' and a few other places from soi 18 upwards in the usual drinking haunts bragging on a Friday night!What changes?

With a name like Standard Morgan it should immediately raise alarm bells. Not very creative with company names are these boiler room operators.

spot on .

If I came across a company with that name I would run the other way. giggle.gif

I wouldn't even give them 5 min of my time, let alone one baht of my money.

Don't people have enquiring minds?

Did you forget where you are living?

That is funny. Some farangs in Thailand are so stupid that would believe that a scamster operation going by the name of Standard Morgan might be a cross between Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan and Standard Chartered Bank. This kind of crap works every time, e.g. Barclay Spenser. It's called passing off. Fleecing expats in Thailand seems to be like taking candy from a kiddiewink. Then there is no comeback because the scamsters aren't licenced anywhere, despite their claims to the contrary, the Thai SEC doesn't give a monkeys and the expats aren't covered by their home regulatory authorities because they are resident overseas, even though the funds they are fraudulently stuffed into or the administrators may be domiciled in the UK.

• Like 2