Farong married to Thai women with family

hellodolly

This is not a negative posting. Or about money.

I am married to a Thai lady with two grown children both married with kids of their own.

The son is no problem as he lives in Bangkok and I have only met him once. The daughter and her family husband and two daughters 10 and 14 have recently moved here and are treating me as family. They already had a grown son living and working here in Chiang Mai. I in turn treat them all including the one in Bangkok as family.

This is where it gets hard for me. It is very hard for me to call them my son and daughter even though I feel the same about them as I do my real son's and granddaughters. I often find myself saying my wife's daughter or son or son in law. Correct me if I am wrong but does a Thai look on a son in law as a son?

It is very difficult with the granddaughters as they are here. My own were raised half a continent away. It really gets difficult when the 10 year old one is trying to learn how to say grandfather in English a word I am not sure I prefer as I have had so little interaction with my own 4 granddaughters. If they are over and we are going some place each one grabs a shoe to put on me. (so far they have both grabbed one from the same pairtongue.png) See there I am trying to make light of it.

Is there others that have the same situation and are feeling uncomfortable with calling them my son and daughter and grandchildren?

I might add that the daughter just turned 37 and my youngest is 49.

• Like 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you find it difficult to be called Dad and Grandpa, or you find it difficult calling them your kids and grandkids? How long have you been married to this lady for?

I think English is not your native tongue right?

Here's what I think, perhaps your wife's kids are a bit old for you to call them son and daughter?...it depends how long you have known them for.

Maybe you would like her kids to call you Grandpa?

Don't feel uncomfortable, do what you guys as a family are happy doing. Talk it through with your wife.

• Like 1

Although my wifes kids call me papa I do not call them son or daughter. I am different (farang) to their biological father and if I am honest l am not accepted in a parental way. They call me papa cos mum tells them to do. I have nooooooo problem with that at all, and they know l do not accept many of their Thai ways. Soooooooo, noooooo problem. smile.png .

HelloDolly, just enjoy the role, do the best you can and know life is too short to worry about any of this stuff. To be genuinely accepted makes life a lot easier here.

I gave up thinking at all on a deeply emotional level, especially here, quite a while back and generally deal in the everyday practicalities of living and making good progress for all.

I agree with you about accepting it but on a deep meaningful level I am having trouble with it.

It is easy to accept it on the surface but there are parts of me that do not run on just the surface level.

It is a personal thing really.

Nothing to do with my own kids or granddaughters. I do not regret not having spent that much time with them. It was not a matter of choice they lived half a continent away.

My youngest boy is 49 and the Wife's daughter is 37

I was just wondering if any one else had that same problem. I wont die or loose sleep over it.

If they are Thai and not biological they will never treat you like a grandfather. You are the guy paying the bills so they will fake respect, until they know you for many years and you earn it.

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

they are your step children. The boy is your stepson and the girl is your stepdaughter, not rocket science really. What is weird is that you say you have only met her son once, yet you feel equally about her children as you do your own, how can you meet someone once and feel for that person the same you do about your own children? or is this just some sence of missplaced loyalty to this boy because he happended to come out of your wifes vagina?

Daughter is 37 and your youngest is 49?

youngest what??

I'm confused!

in response to your question:

Thais are very liberal about who they call what.

Any older woman or man can be called grandmother or grandfather.

My wife has many, many aunts that are not the sisters of her mother or father.

She has a lot of "cousins that are not the children of her biological aunts and uncles!

All the children in my village call me "Daddy". ( pronounced Dad Deee )

It is what they hear my wife and daughter call me.

So, it is my nickname!

Yep. It took me a while to get used to being called "Dad Deee" by the teachers at my daughter's school...!

HelloDolly, just enjoy the role, do the best you can and know life is too short to worry about any of this stuff. To be genuinely accepted makes life a lot easier here.

I gave up thinking at all on a deeply emotional level, especially here, quite a while back and generally deal in the everyday practicalities of living and making good progress for all.

I agree with you about accepting it but on a deep meaningful level I am having trouble with it.

It is easy to accept it on the surface but there are parts of me that do not run on just the surface level.

It is a personal thing really.

Nothing to do with my own kids or granddaughters. I do not regret not having spent that much time with them. It was not a matter of choice they lived half a continent away.

My youngest boy is 49 and the Wife's daughter is 37

I was just wondering if any one else had that same problem. I wont die or loose sleep over it.

They will call you what they decide they want to.

I just use their Thai nicknames. They sometimes have an even more personal one for use within the family.

On the face of it this appears to be a case of 'too much time to think about nothing in particular'.

However, assuming the OP is seriously concerned, my advice would be to consider why he feels unable to use the accepted 'family terminology'.

Assuming OP is well into his 70's (from information given) perhaps it's just a generational thing. If the family genuinely consider you as 'one of their own', then adapt and 'get over your problem'.

Seems to me you're wasting valuable quality, family time worrying about things which are irrelevant.

My stepkids call me "papa" as opposed to "po" and that is cool with me. Talking to them directly, I use their nicknames (I don't do the "look" thing like Thais do). But, when referring to them while talking to someone else, I just say "my son" or "my daughter" as they have known me longer and much more than they have known their biological father. It doesn't really confuse anyone because they don't look anything like me--they are Thai.

Occasionally, when having a talk about kids, I will specify that they are my stepchildren, but that doesn't come up much. Like others have said, don't worry about it too much unless you see that they really react negatively to it. I doubt they would care, though. Some neighborhood kids with no familial connection to me call me "uncle" and it is totally normal.

I guess it is different since they are older. Ask the wife and see what she says. Otherwise, all is good.

Edited by dao16