My first Isaan visit.

ryro88

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many times I offered to pay for meals when we where out and my girlfriend or her mother wouldn't let me pay. Obviously I paid for a few melas. but my point being that I did not fell like am ATM to there's people. Actually quiet the opposite. I was treated like a guest just like in the western world if not better.

• Like 1

I can understand the point that you are all making but when I look back on my time in Isaan the girlfriend and her family spent quite a bit of money on me too so I thought it appropriate to pay back the favour and It made me happy to do so.

• Like 2

I would agree with Khunmanoun here. I would not have given a blanket cash donation like this and established myself as the "cash dispensing buffalo". Down the road if I felt they had a strong need for a certain item, I would have seen that it would get provided (without making a big deal out of it). It all depends on the relationship, of course but I reject blanket giving just because we have met.

• Like 2

Nice story.

smile.png

Be prepared, some members will soon claim all the hospitality was part of an act to make you give money in the end.

After all, it is the only country in the world where it is a national policy to scam visitors.

wink.png

Seriously pal, nice story.

smile.png

And sure enough, your prediction comes true; who else but Swissie, with his inevitable Isaan-bashing twaddle.

Unfortunately, when a Thai woman brings a foreigner to her village/town.city, all people think that this is the goose that lays the golden eggs.\

They knew were your gf worked, what she did and they all received some money. Not saying that you met her in a bar......

When you gave them 5 K, they're sure that a new house will be build soon, plus the usual car and motorbikes. Aehh forgot the gold and so on.

@ajarnmarc - Isaan is big, and I have seen many problems with farangs but also a great number of beautiful stories. I would be careful to make a generality. Except for Udon Thani girls, who have a very bad reputation, certainly because of the US base.

There's really nothing to be careful about here.

I stated that I'm sure there are exceptions to my experiences or the experiences of others,

but I believe them to be rare.

This forum is about expressions,

and experiences as well as solid advice.

What hinders people is others coming on and trying to sensor replies or posts.

When actually if you don't like what you've read then move on to the next post,

for not every post or comment is for everyone...nor directed as such.

• Like 1

@ajarnmarc - Isaan is big, and I have seen many problems with farangs but also a great number of beautiful stories. I would be careful to make a generality. Except for Udon Thani girls, who have a very bad reputation, certainly because of the US base.

You can't be serious. They have a bad reputation because of the US base? C'mon. and read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Udorn_Royal_Thai_Air_Force_Base

Ever thought about all the other airports and "friendship bridges"??

You can't be serious. They have a bad reputation because of the US base? C'mon. and read:

I'm glad to see someone else noticed that slander as well.

Here's a warning about slandering Issan women,

but it's ok to slander Udon Thani women,

because of a base supposedly near by???

I have no idea if there is one,

and don't care if there was.

I meet women from all provinces in my daily business,

and can certainly see the differences in their personalities.

But I not comment on that,

just shared my experiences in Issan with the ladies that took me there,

and it was always the same experience, just slightly different approach to it.

I had one ladies father come all the way down from Issan to ask if he could borrow 1,000 bht.

I told my girlfriend at the time, it cost him that much to get here.

I knew it was just a start to get me to open my wallet,

and then would come the big question later.

Not during the same visit...I don't think.

But he would certainly be back within a few days.

I gave my G/F some money and had her buy her father a few beers,

and that would relax him, before I later set him on his way.

After dinner of course, but empty handed.

I've had women from Issan ask for a house,

but willing to settle for the wall that normally goes around the house.

Problem was I never saw a wall around a house in Issan,

but it was the ladies idea at the time.

I moved on with a quickness.

They come at all angles and beauties,

for which there are many.

When I ask Thai people about the bad reputation of Udon Thani girls, they point that Udon Thani reputation is due to the US base which was there during the vietnam war.

And Pattaya, same story, Sattahip base.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/25/world/asia/25iht-thai.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Congractulations, you are more than welcome to take my place in Issan,, great to say that after 7 years of in and out meeting loads of women in the Issan area, building a house there to give to my lady as a gift, i have finally BIT the bullet and got on the bus out of there, i vowed never to travel north of Bangkok again, i've seen enough rice fields to last a life time and NO i do not like ISSAN FOOD so %$#@ off, and i don't like chilli so why drown everything in chilli (mai pet) or *^%$# off.

Your story is the same as everyone's story that have come and gone here in Thailand, the family won't ask you for money (verbally) they will hint hint for you to HELP them with this and with that and then the auntie is sick then the pig then the buffalo she will tell you hospital is very expensive then you offer to pay,, just wait until the honeymoon is over, if your girlfriend is very ugly then you might have a chance otherwise start saving.

• Like 1

Good to hear a story like this, it should be told more then all the negatives, I have the same expierience, not in Esan but in rural area around Phichit.

very nice family and also very nice nabours.

so it is very well possible.

I live here now over a year with my gf and I love it, nabours bring food when they cook nice and we help each other.

• Like 1

Hello, a lot of members do not know Thailand at all and can hardly speak two words of Thai. Having stayed years in Pattaya does not give one the right to have a authorized opinion on everything Thai -wink.png)

Ryro88, imho you made a big mistake. The amount of money you gave to them was the equivalent of one month salary for someone in the country. The simple fact that they took the money is an indication of Thai people bad mentality versus money. They should have refused the money, simply put. It was OK to give them some money, for example pay for the car benzine. And give a small gift on departure. But 5000 baths, certainly not.

The message you have given to them is that you are in fact a walking ATM. Mgjackson69 is perfectly right. Next step is most probably to try to get more and more from you. Not that they are bad people. But because they are Thai and because of the strange relation between Thai and money. Do not show your money, refuse loans, put clear barriers, this is my advice (I am happily married for 17 years with an isaan girl).

I think your misses really really loves you don't you?

Did you say never buy a house?....did you? or are you just living surviving in hers?

The Thai psychology you pretend to know is embarrassing really,i think you need to get out more pal.

• Like 1

@ Ozyjon. Ha ha ha, how funny. Did someone notice that Isaan was the poorest part of the country ? Did you know that people aged down to 30 years old have sometimes eaten soil to calm their hunger ? You can see the problem with money, you can try to deal with it, but it is not forbidden to try to understand where it is coming from. Once you understand it is much easier.