Australian Rules Football 2014 - Tipping, Chat & The Dream Team

chooka

Maybe we need like the epl.

Bottom 3 teams drop a division.

Where would promotion come from?

There was some talk a while ago about having 2 leagues

and having the top 4 of each play each other or 2 divisions

where you can get promoted from 2nd div to first.

I can't see it happening though.

Yes would not be easy,wonder how the top 2 foxtel cup teams would go?

As I have stated previously I think Richmond may defeat Swans. The Swans are already in the top 2 and will not want their stars hurt. Richmond have been Swans bogey team over the last few years.

I will still tip the Swans.

I agree with you Rip. That is the one game I have not locked in as yet. I want to see the team lists when they come out.

If Sydney rests Buddy and Tippet ill pick Richmond....I think Sydney might rest Tippet. It is fairly much a nothing game for Sydney

Also Sydney have a lot of players competing for midfield spots...so that could see them through

• Like 1

You wicked man....you wont make friends in here, the members are against anything put pure AFL...no changes in 150 years ....even to the jumper.rolleyes.gif

Speaking for yourself again, old bean? Wouldn't mind the AFL going the way of the EPL if it could be sustainable. Would take a lot of work to get it going...

I'm all for progressive change. New Zealand could use 5 or 6 games a year from Melburne maybe?

Its hardly progressive change is it? and you know what will happen dont you?

The top 4 or 5 clubs as in the EPL will be raffling off for the top spot, once clubs drop to the second div they loose so much money it would be hard for them to ever be able to match the $ of the big 5 again.

I said it last year a better system is to create many winners the NFL and NBL system of confrences, divisonial champion, wild card play off, confrence champion and finaly 2 confrence champons play for the premieship.

Business will invest in sports clubs if there on TV and winning, the American system creates many winners, also its time that all games are live to free TV, we of the lower clubs dont get to see our tream play more than half a dozen games a year on TV, time the AFL sold the rights to packages to several free to air networks rather than have just C7 doing it all the time, C9 &10 were a breath of fresh air in there coverage when they had it, i turn the sound down with i watch a game on 7...they truly are still in the 60's, all hype not much content, cant stand them...oh and that sth aussie whats is name? the darling of 7 sports and race caller...he was ok when he started but im sooooooooooo tired of the trowled on sugar coated crappola he spits out of his mouth.

And by NBL you mean NBA, the NBL is smaller than the AFL and certainly doesn't have the coin to splash around.

I could see the NFL conference thing getting legs, it's been adopted by the Super Rugby competition and they've got 3 less teams than the AFL.

But the EPL model would work best, IMO. The lower divisions are already there (SANFL, WAFL, VFL and the lower tier NEAFL) would certainly make the 'reserves' a much stronger competition.

Can't see Eddie going for it though and we know he secretly controls the world tongue.png

sorry to burst your bubble old bean, wont work for the reason i stated earlier a much fairer solution is something like i sugested and yes i got my basket ball mixed up

Where would promotion come from?

There was some talk a while ago about having 2 leagues

and having the top 4 of each play each other or 2 divisions

where you can get promoted from 2nd div to first.

I can't see it happening though.

Yes would not be easy,wonder how the top 2 foxtel cup teams would go?

The difficulty would be the competitiveness of the promoted teams. Look at the new AFL clubs now. Takes massive priority draft and zone picks for them to be competitive.

It would be one year up, next year back down.

Impossible to compare with any major Soccer league where they have a worldwide pool of players to draw from and no salary cap limitations.

• Like 1

sorry to burst your bubble old bean, wont work for the reason i stated earlier a much fairer solution is something like i sugested and yes i got my basket ball mixed up

Come now ol'chap, best foot forward, stiff upper lip and all that..

Given the AFL's salary cap there's every reason it can work...

The salary cap kills off the top 5 rotation theory you bandied about, especially given that the SANFL and WAFL can both support themselves without the propping up of the mother league and like the VFL act like 2nd, 3rd, 4th divisions for the AFL.

But like I said Eddie would veto everything...

• Like 1

At the end of the day, I just think there are too many teams in Melbourne.

Clubs with low supporter bases can only hope to be competitive and at

best win the odd final or two.

IMO, they will only ever just tread water.

The WB are a perfect example.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

Come now ol'chap, best foot forward, stiff upper lip and all that..

Given the AFL's salary cap there's every reason it can work...

The salary cap kills off the top 5 rotation theory you bandied about, especially given that the SANFL and WAFL can both support themselves without the propping up of the mother league and like the VFL act like 2nd, 3rd, 4th divisions for the AFL.

But like I said Eddie would veto everything...

Soccer works because they have a million teams and just as many cups to play for so there is that romantic notion an amature team from mongolia could win a club champions trophy, that a 5th place EPL team gets to play Europa league, top 4 EPL teams play for the champions league...that a 4th div club can take a FA cup....not here mate...no stiff upper lip the reality is the AFL are already supporting 2 clubs with a couple more ready to fail, take North, if there not winning there in trouble, once a club like North, Melbourne or the Saints fell into the 2cd div they would be doomed forever unless we went back to private ownership.....again i said it last year we need to be seen to create many winners and the american system does a good job of that.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

i'd like to see an expansion of the Academy system for GWS, Swans, Brissie and GC.

The AFL should be putting in at least $10 million a year for the NSW academies... i think they put in $1 million now? The Academy clubs can use their first couple of draft picks on whatever players they want, but all other players go into the national draft. Eventually there might be stronger feeder clubs so the AFL can do away with the academies for individual clubs. AT the moment though, the established interstate AFL clubs have the infrastructure and coaching and staffing requirements needed.

The AFL has a tremendous opportunity to get hundreds more potential players available, but petty squabbling from the likes of Eddie is distracting them from the big picture. You have NSW and QLD with 50% of the population, but only 4 teams and an inferior juniors competition. AFL is also competing against Union and League and Soccer. Soccer is the biggest threat, but throwing money into development is the way to go.

The interstate academies benefit all teams with extra players coming into the system, but it just needs to be BIGGER

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 1

Well this was hardly unexpected..

http://afl.to/1sEvQyO

Both he and Folau gave the AFL plenty of publicity for their new clubs. They were the biggest stars for the Rugby League and it was a sensible strategic move to sign them to get publicity.

Folau has moved on to bigger and better things, be interesting how Hunt goes back League. He wasted his best years in a way, but he was certainly financially compensated for it.

Folau was on more money than buddy, i twas rumoured

Well this was hardly unexpected..

http://afl.to/1sEvQyO

Both he and Folau gave the AFL plenty of publicity for their new clubs. They were the biggest stars for the Rugby League and it was a sensible strategic move to sign them to get publicity.

Folau has moved on to bigger and better things, be interesting how Hunt goes back League. He wasted his best years in a way, but he was certainly financially compensated for it.

Folau was on more money than buddy, i twas rumoured

Yes definitely quite the coup to land those 2 big names from League. I'm sure the AFL / GC / GWS were all aware that this was never going to be a long term thing.

Appears Hunt is following in Folau's footsteps and going to play Super Rugby with the Queensland Red next year.

Tragically really.

What a fall from grace.

I get the sense from that article that Nixon was not popular with some journalists

I guess throwing coffee at them didn't really endear himselftongue.png

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/videos/ricky-nixon-throws-coffee-at-reporter/

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

i'd like to see an expansion of the Academy system for GWS, Swans, Brissie and GC.

The AFL should be putting in at least $10 million a year for the NSW academies... i think they put in $1 million now? The Academy clubs can use their first couple of draft picks on whatever players they want, but all other players go into the national draft. Eventually there might be stronger feeder clubs so the AFL can do away with the academies for individual clubs. AT the moment though, the established interstate AFL clubs have the infrastructure and coaching and staffing requirements needed.

The AFL has a tremendous opportunity to get hundreds more potential players available, but petty squabbling from the likes of Eddie is distracting them from the big picture. You have NSW and QLD with 50% of the population, but only 4 teams and an inferior juniors competition. AFL is also competing against Union and League and Soccer. Soccer is the biggest threat, but throwing money into development is the way to go.

The interstate academies benefit all teams with extra players coming into the system, but it just needs to be BIGGER

This is a take on soccer, so nothing new, i think the old notion of each club grooming there under 17 and 19's was the best way forward.

Soccer will eventualy be hugh here, it just has to be, the 3 football codes can live comfortably side by side here about the only area where they could conflict is with what tv will pay for the rights, soccer and afl are truly national rugby sort of, im still amazed none of the comercial broadcasters have rushed in to sew up the rights to soccer for the next 10 years, 1 friday night game on sbs is below expectaions i think.

I like to see a stop to expanding the comp, i think 18 teams are to much for the system we have, 16 was plenty under our finals like structure, it is time a few clubs bite the bullet and merged, even the happless Dees can go merge, this is 2014 now not 1977, we dont buy cds anymore we all want power steering and air con in our cars compaines merge..........

Melbourne can merge as long as its not with the kangaroos.

Have already been through it with fitzroy,its not nice to lose that history.

Reality says they wont merge,win a couple of games and you have one of the biggest support bases in the afl.

Reality says they wont merge,win a couple of games and you have one of the biggest support bases in the afl.

Might suprise you but i was all for the merger with the Hawks, i thought it a step in the right direction, i didnt see it as a quick fix or a way of getting hold of some decent players, i saw a blending of managment and possible progressive board, well i was right the Hawks did kick on...

Should the Roos merge?

But the Fitzroy merger with the Bears was somewhat of a master stroke by the Boffins.

The Lions bagged a string of premierships in a row and were highly competitive during their formative years.

North should have relocated to the Gold Coast or Canberra or Tasmania or wherever the AFL was going to prop them up from.

Hawthorn bucked the trend and took the "we'll prove you wrong" approach, pulled it off nicely one might say.

Bulldogs might as well relocate to Canberra their fan base could support a ground the size of Manuka Oval.

Now there just needs to be a team languishing enough and given the right incentive to relocate to Darwin. Think the Saints would be interested Chooka? ;)

These home games that were actually away games annoyed the shit out of me back in the day. Having members stand seats normally, we were relegated to joe public seats. If the Swans were still a Melbourne based club I'd understand and have been accustomed to such humiliation but when your club is the only one in town, the 'Chardonnay Set' were less than impressed.

• Like 1

The Happles 4 should not discount a merge, as for the Lions of old it was very plain to see it was AFL lead, they were starved to the point of merge or death, Swans were pushed north or die, meanwhile 20 ys on there bankrolling the dees dogs and roos to stay alive.

Now merge or relocate has neeted 5 premerships in 30 years i think that result speaks for itself.

This is a take on soccer, so nothing new, i think the old notion of each club grooming there under 17 and 19's was the best way forward.

Soccer will eventualy be hugh here, it just has to be, the 3 football codes can live comfortably side by side here about the only area where they could conflict is with what tv will pay for the rights, soccer and afl are truly national rugby sort of, im still amazed none of the comercial broadcasters have rushed in to sew up the rights to soccer for the next 10 years, 1 friday night game on sbs is below expectaions i think.

I like to see a stop to expanding the comp, i think 18 teams are to much for the system we have, 16 was plenty under our finals like structure, it is time a few clubs bite the bullet and merged, even the happless Dees can go merge, this is 2014 now not 1977, we dont buy cds anymore we all want power steering and air con in our cars compaines merge..........

I think soccer puts most people to sleep, I find it a boring game lacking in skills and played by people who are afraid of contact sports. Watching paint dry is far entertaining.

I think soccer puts most people to sleep, I find it a boring game lacking in skills and played by people who are afraid of contact sports. Watching paint dry is far entertaining.

Don't hold back chooka.

Tell us how you really feeltongue.png

• Like 1