Australian Rules Football 2014 - Tipping, Chat & The Dream Team

chooka

St Kilda Captain Nick Riewoldt is expecting his first child. The really exciting thing is that he is a St Kilda player and his partner was consenting.

laugh.png

Thanks for the early morning giggle chooka.

I nearly spat my coco pops out.

yep loved it and coming from a saints fan showed he/she is open to ridicule. That's AFL fans.

• Like 1

Its most obvious that mr chooka does not read the Age news paper, they have shrunk it to the same size as that little paper you would know so well and along with that hopless channel 7 is some what of a tabloid on the footy but i can tell you first hand that the A-league is very well covered almost to the point of next to nothing on the Premier league, no, darts ive never seen mentioned but yes once there was at least some NFL coverage.....

As for cricket....just cannot get into it, in fact any bat and ball games....yawn....and cricket is just not designed for Australian summer...Ive driven passed the local cricket team training recently in a humid 33 degree heat, think they must be bonkers...melbourne sun is like a blow touch.

What on earth is the A League??????????

AlexRRR enough with the Z League nonsense, no one on this thread gives a f*** about the Victory, Sydney F.C, WSW or the Mariners... You want to talk about it, start another thread...

It's f***ing tiresome...

Can you fill me in Grant who are these teams that you speak of. I know there has been plans drawn up to host a big bash style AFL comp involving retired AFL players with 12 a side to be played in the off season.

AlexRRR enough with the Z League nonsense, no one on this thread gives a f*** about the Victory, Sydney F.C, WSW or the Mariners... You want to talk about it, start another thread...

It's f***ing tiresome...

Can you fill me in Grant who are these teams that you speak of. I know there has been plans drawn up to host a big bash style AFL comp involving retired AFL players with 12 a side to be played in the off season.

The "A League" is Football Federation Australia's version of the English "Premier League" the teams I mentioned are clubs in this competition. All irrelevant to the topic of AFL...

It's f***ing tiresome...

The "A League" is Football Federation Australia's version of the English "Premier League" the teams I mentioned are clubs in this competition. All irrelevant to the topic of AFL...

Ok so sounds like an anti Australian Football supporter and a sooker supporter trolling on here then.thumbsup.gif

It's f***ing tiresome...

ALEXRRR is a big wierd ball fan and he is always trying to convert people, he is a missionary and like a jehovah witness, knocks on your door during dinner asking if you want to know soccer. I just say I am an AFL Man slam the door on his foot and set the dogs on him. Edited by chooka
  • Like 1

Thanks for setting the folks straight mate.

Read Perts take on clubs finacial side of the AFL during the week in the Age online...anyone else?

Well as long as there is only one winner per season nothing much is going to change, eventualy a club will fail if not several, its just a matter of time, the AFL will eventualy tire of proping up run down clubs.

Thanks for setting the folks straight mate.

Read Perts take on clubs finacial side of the AFL during the week in the Age online...anyone else?

Well as long as there is only one winner per season nothing much is going to change, eventualy a club will fail if not several, its just a matter of time, the AFL will eventualy tire of proping up run down clubs.

The Messiah from a soccer club has spoken. Ok AFL is doomed and about to be consumed by a pass time no one in Aust has even heard of. Where is this shitty little soccer team/comp even played? Who has even heard of these cluster idiots apart from you. Apart from mummy name me one other person who has even heard of soccer in Australia.
  • Like 1

Also good to see Swans first round draft pic Isaac Heeney taking ROK's Guernsey number.. I also approve of the new #17, bot kids have big shoes to fill wearing those 2 numbers but having had a good look at their potential they should be up to the task...

I also see we wasted no time in getting someone back in the #1 Guernsey either ;)

• Like 1

Fremantle has allocated its six new players jumper numbers for the upcoming 2015 season.

Of the six new jumper allocations, only the number 14 was worn in an AFL home and away or finals game during the 2014 season - by Josh Simpson in round four.

Lachie Weller, the club’s first pick in the 2014 AFL Draft, will wear number 14 – the number that 202-game defender Antoni Grover made famous at Freo.

Grover played 193 games in the number 14 after nine appearances in number 46 at the beginning of his career.

Connor Blakely has number 19, while Ed Langdon will hope he becomes just the third player at Fremantle to don the number 26 in an AFL game.

He’s also got a fair bit to live up to, with the other two representatives being fan favourites Clive Waterhouse and Kepler Bradley.

Josh Deluca has number 39, while rookies Ethan Hughes and Sean Hurley will take numbers 42 and 45, respectively.

If he can manage to make an AFL debut, Irish recruit Hurley will become just the second player overall and the first since Gavin Mitchell in 1997 to wear 45 for Freo.

Here are the new numbers along with the jumper number history for each:

14 - Lachie Weller (4 representatives, 238 games)
1995 – 1998: Kingsley Hunter (41 games)
1999: Paul Maher (2 games)
2001 – 2012: Antoni Grover (193 games)
2013 – 2014: Josh Simpson (2 games)

19 - Connor Blakely (4 representatives, 225 games)
1995 – 1998: Gary Dhurrkay (51 games)
1999 – 2007: James Walker (151 games)
2008 – 2011: Clayton Hinkley (22 games)
2013: Alex Forster (1 game)

26 – Ed Langdon (2 representatives, 174 games)
1995 -2004: Clive Waterhouse (106 games)
2008 – 2014: Kepler Bradley (68 games)

39 – Josh Deluca (3 representatives, 18 games)
1999: Michael Clark (1 game)
2002 – 2003: Daniel Haines (16 games)
2011: Casey Sibosado (1 game)

42 – Ethan Hughes (4 representatives, 155 games)
1995 – 1999: Craig Callaghan (84 games)
2001 – 2007: Robbie Haddrill (58 games)
2008 – 2009: Josh Head (9 games)
2013: Matt Taberner (4 games)

45 – Sean Hurley (1 representative, 36 games)
1996 – 1997: Gavin Mitchell (36 games)

• Like 2

Gents

Received an email today Australia Plus.

In Thailand, you will be able to get AFL games on True Visions (cable).

Pretty much the same deal as last year 4 to 5 games per week.

That doesn't help me, so now that I have decent internet, think I will sign

up for the Watch AFL website.

• Like 2

Gents

Received an email today Australia Plus.

In Thailand, you will be able to get AFL games on True Visions (cable).

Pretty much the same deal as last year 4 to 5 games per week.

That doesn't help me, so now that I have decent internet, think I will sign

up for the Watch AFL website.

yep got the same email.

If you have your own satellite dish and can tune in Intelsat 18 you will be able to watch for free.

http://tv.australiaplus.com/tuning#more-ways-to-watch

go to the bottom of the page for details.

Thanks for the tip mate.

Do you know if the Sat extends to CR?

have you been able to access Australia Plus?

I was able to watch up until 01/12/14. That is when they changed to IS-18. The footprint looks like Phayao and Chaing Rai should be inside the area of telecast. I have had no luck yet. I will have to try and get a tech to have a look for me.

http://www.satbeams.com/footprints?beam=7147

• Like 1

If you have your own satellite dish and can tune in Intelsat 18 you will be able to watch for free.

http://tv.australiaplus.com/tuning#more-ways-to-watch

go to the bottom of the page for details.

Thanks for the tip mate.

Do you know if the Sat extends to CR?

have you been able to access Australia Plus?

I was able to watch up until 01/12/14. That is when they changed to IS-18. The footprint looks like Phayao and Chaing Rai should be inside the area of telecast. I have had no luck yet. I will have to try and get a tech to have a look for me.

http://www.satbeams.com/footprints?beam=7147

Thanks for that.

Appreciate it if you let me know.

Meanwhile I'll do the same.

• Like 1

THE GAME’S No.1 player Gary Ablett has reportedly been offered a two-year, $2 million-plus contract extension.

Ablett is contracted for 2015 so if he is to agree to the new terms he will be leader of Gold Coast until the end of 2017.

Ablett’s wage next season will take a hit due to the terms of his original, front-loaded contract with the Suns, but the new deal ensures he returns to the AFL’s highest-earners list, next to Lance Franklin and Bulldog recruit Tom Boyd, according to Fairfax media.

The dual Brownlow medallist has led the Suns in their first four seasons and won their first three club best and fairest awards and was also the team's leading goalkicker in 2012 and 2013.

The 30-year-old was having another brilliant season in 2014 before he dislocated his shoulder in round 16 when Collingwood's Brent Macaffer tackled him, forcing him out for the rest of the season after he elected to have surgery.

At the time the Suns were in the eight but they then lost six of their last seven games to finish 12th.

Coach Guy McKenna was subsequently sacked and replaced by Rodney Eade.

Despite missing seven games, Ablett was still named All Australian and polled 22 Brownlow votes to finish third behind Matt Priddis and the ineligible Nathan Fyfe.

Ablett has been making a slow but steady recovery from his shoulder surgery and is back doing 95 per cent of the running volume.

• Like 1

Still difficult to reconcile Boyd getting the same $$ as Franklin and Ablett

I'm hearing you BookMan.

Some players really benefited at the right with the expansion clubs

and free agency being in.

Didn't someone mention Tom Mitchell being on around $400 000 per year?

Good luck to them anyway.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

Still difficult to reconcile Boyd getting the same $$ as Franklin and Ablett

I'm hearing you BookMan.

Some players really benefited at the right with the expansion clubs

and free agency being in.

Didn't someone mention Tom Mitchell being on around $400 000 per year?

Good luck to them anyway.

Sydney must have had the most expensive reserves team in the land last year

• Like 2

Guys

Just watched a fantastic doco called The Chosen Few on the current and past coaches.

I think 3 have been sacked since it was made.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/afl/news/article/-/25062505/exclusive-preview-the-chosen-few/

You also get a glimpse of the coaches other side. Ross Lyon is one who comes across

as really funny.

You get the emotional side as well with horse talking about the McVie's loss and Lyon

about his sister dying of cancer.

If you see it about, it's really enjoyable.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hot topics: Should the AFL bring back the reserves?

Nick Bowen and Peter Ryan December 30, 2014 12:00 PM

Around 80% of people think yes. I loved watching the reserves prior to the big game.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-30/hot-topics-should-the-afl-bring-back-the-reserves

I also loved watching the curtain raisers but I don't think teams will be fielding reserves as we once knew them. I believe teams dropped thier reserves for financial reasons. Many clubs are struggling financially at the moment and to expect them financially support two teams might be a death blow as they would have to increase thier lists and pay salaries, extra medical staff, trainers, coaches and equipment. When clubs joined with the VFL it strengthened this comp and AFL clubs reduced lists and staff. They pay a less to the VFL for thier listed players and the VFL have increased thier takings. Win, win for all.

If something could be worked out where we again see curtain raisers it would be great but costs will have to be increased.

• Like 2