US Senate votes to ban plastic guns for 10 more years

webfact

US Senate votes to ban plastic guns for 10 more years

WASHINGTON: -- The US Senate has approved a 10-year extension of a ban on plastic guns invisible to metal detectors but has rejected tougher restrictions called for by gun-control advocates.

The bill was approved by a Senate voice vote one week after it passed the House of Representatives.

Democrats had aimed to require a gun's firing mechanism to contain at least one undetachable metal piece.

The ban has gained new relevance with the spread of at-home 3D printing.

'Common sense'
The proposed 10-year extension of the Undetectable Firearms Act now goes to President Barack Obama for his approval.

Without further Congressional action, the 25-year-old law was scheduled to expire on Monday.

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25312373

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2013-12-10

Yes, we all know criminals/terrorists will abide by ruling the US Senate passes!

I mean come on - laws are made to be followed by everyone right? rolleyes.gif

This is a ridiculous waste of time - they need to pass a budget! Yet another failure of BOTH parties in the USA.

There needs to be a law declaring an act illegal before police can arrest the offender. It's not about scaring criminals away from plastic guns. It is about the ability to declare the act illegal so the people in possession of these devices (criminals) can be reprimanded.

• Like 1

Like the saying says....

If you ban plastic guns...only criminals will have plastic guns.

Exactly. If you are doing something illegal then you are a criminal. The same with visa overstayers in Thailand...criminals (although US Govt would call them illegal immigrants).

Like the saying says....

Exactly. If you are doing something illegal then you are a criminal. The same with visa overstayers in Thailand...criminals (although US Govt would call them illegal immigrants).

The preferred title is 'undocumented' immigrants, illegal being such a polarizing word these days. xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.pEtiH2upqe.webp

Like the saying says....

The preferred title is 'undocumented' immigrants, illegal being such a polarizing word these days. xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.pEtiH2upqe.webp

My preferred description is illegal immigrant, if they don't like it, perhaps they should leave the same way they came in.

As to the weapon legislation, I don't really care too much in this instance, but I'm sure there are already enough laws to cover most criminal activity for prosecution.

Edited by beechguy
  • Like 1

Where I live, we call them illegals

Call them the same thing, but living in the People's Republik of Kalifornia, have to deal with all the liberal BS these days. smile.png

Keep saying might as well go all the way, car thief - undocumented vehicle owner, drug dealer - undocumented pharmacist and so on. Don't want to damage their self esteem by calling them criminals.

On a theoretical basis, if all plastic were doable, a metal detector wouldn't alert, but all other methods would show something. Kind of like when they banned eared knock offs on car wheels, happened shortly after the James Bond film. Idiots were all of a sudden concerned about pedestrians being slaughtered on the streets, even though it had never happened in reality. Never thinking that in real life they weren't razor sharp and didn't extend out from the car.

Like the saying says....

I though Nancy Pelosi called them "undocumented Workers" ha ha