Obtaining a yellow house book, my experience.

Had to obtain a residence cert. in a hurry, and the local immigration office takes 7 days, so went the yellow house book route. My wife took every document ( and copies ) she could think of, and I took my passport and 2 passport photos.

All I can say is that it would have been impossible for me to do it on my own, just for the documents needed and never mind them not speaking English.

Took 3 office people about an hour to sort it.

However, done on the spot, and cost me nothing.

So, my advice if wanting to obtain a yellow house book, take a Thai speaker with you and make sure you have every document you can think of that might be relevant.

The documents ( and copies )I know they needed were my passport ( + 2 photos ), marriage cert. and related documents, her house book, her ID.

Other than that I don't know, but they were stapling and stamping papers like nothing I've seen before.

So, good luck if you want a permanent residence document. Probably worth the effort.

Mine was easy. Went to Thessaban in Pattaya with the wife, her Thabian Baan, photos of me and copies of my passport, her id and our marriage cert. Got our son and MIL with us. They asked basic questions like if I work somewhere, how long we've been married etc, and let me sign one A4. Took about 20min. I got the yellow Thabian Baan about a week later.

I needed(in Lopburi)

1- copy of passport/work permit

2- letter of residence from immigration

3- marriage certificate

4- wife's blue book and id

5- kids' birth certificates

6 - house rental contract.

No cost.

They ask for translated copy of your passport but you can save this cost by getting a letter from Immigration, which I got free - the usual cost is 500 baht.

Edited by Neeranam

Mine was easy. Went to Thessaban in Pattaya with the wife, her Thabian Baan, photos of me and copies of my passport, her id and our marriage cert. Got our son and MIL with us. They asked basic questions like if I work somewhere, how long we've been married etc, and let me sign one A4. Took about 20min. I got the yellow Thabian Baan about a week later.

Hmmmmm. I needed and got the book after about one hour of much paperwork and conversation between the 3 office staff dealing with it. Perhaps it helped that I was the only person there.

I needed(in Lopburi)

3- marriage certificate

No cost.

They ask for translated copy of your passport but you can save this cost by getting a letter from Immigration, which I got free - the usual cost is 500 baht.

<2- letter of residence from immigration>

LOL. I wanted the yellow book to use as proof of residence as the immigration department was going to take a week. Had I needed a residence cert from immigration, I wouldn't have bothered with the yellow book.

I did not need a translation of my passport, but I think that is all in the documentation for marriage anyway.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

I needed(in Lopburi)

3- marriage certificate

No cost.

LOL. I wanted the yellow book to use as proof of residence as the immigration department was going to take a week. Had I needed a residence cert from immigration, I wouldn't have bothered with the yellow book.

I did not need a translation of my passport, but I think that is all in the documentation for marriage anyway.

I got the letter from immigration in 10 minutes. I can't understand why it would take a week.

I needed(in Lopburi)

3- marriage certificate

No cost.

I got the letter from immigration in 10 minutes. I can't understand why it would take a week.
Neither can I, but it's their department and if they want me to stand on my head and recite Humpty Dumpty, they can.

Not so easy for me, I spent about 3-hours at the office, with my wife, we had to go and get the village head, and come back with him, about an hour later they ( 3 off them were working on it) said I had to go to Bangkok to get some documents ( We are in North East), but they were not sure exactly what documents they needed. So I gave up.

Mine was easy too in Khon Kaen. But they did want my mother and father's names in Thai.

Yes, I forgot they wanted my parent's names and nationalities. English was OK.

Quite suprising, as this means they have done the transcription to Thai on their own.

This is far from the usual routine.

(or were there other documents containing the names. like a marriage cert. in Thai?)

Usually all names have to be taken from a certified translators work (translation of passport, birth certificate e.g.).

See here about the contents of a yellow housebook:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/681733-yellow-book-the-chicken-or-the-egg/#entry7044394

(suggest one reads through this thread completely)

All names have to be transcribed to Thai, which is a non trivial job.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Mine was easy too in Khon Kaen. But they did want my mother and father's names in Thai.

Yes, I forgot they wanted my parent's names and nationalities. English was OK.

Quite suprising, as this means they have done the transcription to Thai on their own.

This is far from the usual routine.

(or were there other documents containing the names. like a marriage cert. in Thai?)

Usually all names have to be taken from a certified translators work (translation of passport, birth certificate e.g.).

See here about the contents of a yellow housebook:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/681733-yellow-book-the-chicken-or-the-egg/#entry7044394

(suggest one reads through this thread completely)

All names have to be transcribed to Thai, which is a non trivial job.

Yes. Parents names already translated to Thai on the Embassy letter saying I was single.

Not so easy for me, I spent about 3-hours at the office, with my wife, we had to go and get the village head, and come back with him, about an hour later they ( 3 off them were working on it) said I had to go to Bangkok to get some documents ( We are in North East), but they were not sure exactly what documents they needed. So I gave up.

They were looking in a big official book to see what was needed for me. So your lot really didn't have an excuse for not knowing was required, but TiT.

They were looking in a big official book to see what was needed for me. So your lot really didn't have an excuse for not knowing was required, but TiT.

Very recent report for Chiang Mai immigration is 7 days now. Also don't understand the reason. Still an improvement over the time they were not doing them at all. smile.png

• Like 1

Too bad the OP doesn't tell us where he lives so we could all know how easy it was to get a yellow book in___________________ facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif

My post was to advise those wanting a yellow book to take a Thai speaker that knows what is needed, nothing about where it is easy to get one.

Garyk, the yellow book avoids the need to go to immigration for proof of residence cert.