Pheu Thai lodges petition with Court to dissolve Democrat party

webfact

Govt calls for legal action against protesters
By English News

13871785096925.png

BANGKOK, Dec 16 – Thailand's ruling Pheu Thai Party today lodged a petition with the Constitution Court, seeking to ban the current anti-government demonstrations and dissolve their opponent, the Democrat Party, for supporting the protests.

Singthong Buachum, Pheu Thai lawyer, charged the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), of which former Democrat MP Suthep Thaugsuban is secretary general, with using weapons in their protests and seizing government buildings.

He said Democrat executives and members have joined the protests and the PDRC has obstructed the upcoming general election which was already announced in a royal decree.

Meanwhile, Pheu Thai spokesman Prompong Nopparit and a team of party lawyers filed a complaint with the Election Commission, charging Mr Suthep with deliberately preventing the snap poll by demanding that the general election be postponed for 4-8 months.

He said Nitithorn Lamlua, a leader of the Students and Peoples Network for Thailand’s Reform, publicly announced that he would lead people to disturb the December 23-27 registrations of candidates for the February 2 election.

These people have tried to pressure the prime minister to resign and block the election – a violation of the royal power and the Election Law, said Mr Prompong.

The royal decree on the House dissolution and general election on February 2 was endorsed by His Majesty the King.

Mr Prompong said the Democrats’ participation in anti-government protests could result in the party's dissolution by Election Commission order. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-12-16

I think the PTP are doing the Dems a favor here.

Being dissolved could be the best thing for the Democrat party given their inability to reform. Creating a new party - albeit probably with many of the same heads in place - would at least give the semblance of a shift away from the entrenched interests which have made the Dems unelectable. At least for a while.

Good for them,why shouldn't they use the due process of law?

You mean the law 312 MPs of their party declared invalid - you don't see an inherent contradiction in principle?

I mean the law of the land and leave it up to the courts to decide, isn't that the way to proceed?

Or is that not considered to be a fair process available to all?

Prompong. Isn't he in prison? Thought I read yesterday he was sentenced to a years sentence, not suspended, but here he is muppeting around in public. Double standards again?

No politician in Thailand is technically in prison, just in the lunatic media's perception cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Prison is for the poor, AND for the people, that the powerful elite WANT behind closed bars, whether innocent or not ,

Edited by MaxLee

You mean the law 312 MPs of their party declared invalid - you don't see an inherent contradiction in principle?

I mean the law of the land and leave it up to the courts to decide, isn't that the way to proceed?

How can you 'leave it to the courts to decide' when you've already stated you don't accept their judgement on an earlier case? You either accept their authority or you don't. You can't do it selectively.

Selectively seems to be the Thai way irrespective?

Who's law ??? have they any ??? everyone flouts the law, what a bloo#y load of b#llocks. sue them counter sue the others stupid lot of morons.

Better this load of cr#p tackle corruption rather than spend time on suing others when they are wide open themselves. JOKE-B/S The whole lot of them are attention seekers by birth.

Who's law ??? have they any ??? everyone flouts the law, what a bloo#y load of b#llocks. sue them counter sue the others stupid lot of morons.

Better this load of cr#p tackle corruption rather than spend time on suing others when they are wide open themselves. JOKE-B/S The whole lot of them are attention seekers by birth.

Great post, a good example for others.

• Like 1

Goog good good.
If the dusty, old, creepy Democrat Party is gone, maybe a new, better, more forward thinking party will replace it.
If enough of the old guard is out of politics for a while, a new generation of Democrats may even prefer to work at winning elections, rather than to rely on dirty tricks and the mob rule.

That would be a big step forward.
A new generation Democrat party, Suthep and Abhisit gone forever, a plan for the country, which they never had, and the will to also win the hearts of the people.
I wish them to be dissolved so that they can finally reform themselves. That is what is needed.
In the meantime, let PT do the serious things

• Like 2

Goog good good.

If the dusty, old, creepy Democrat Party is gone, maybe a new, better, more forward thinking party will replace it.

If enough of the old guard is out of politics for a while, a new generation of Democrats may even prefer to work at winning elections, rather than to rely on dirty tricks and the mob rule.

A new generation Democrat party, Suthep and Abhisit gone forever, a plan for the country, which they never had, and the will to also win the hearts of the people.

I wish them to be dissolved so that they can finally reform themselves. That is what is needed.

Yes let the PTP do serious things. It's time they line their pockets with even more money! We need more schemes like the rice pledging so they can get richer faster.

PTP 4ever!

Goog good good.

The dusty creepy old Demo party as you said could vanish and make way for fresh non corrupt Democrats.

then you added-" let the PT do the serious things" like WHAT, serious things, carry on pillaging ???? 5 years to get rid of all the rice stockpiles, yes serious things, borrow 2.2 trillion ???

Have you anything to add to the super way your party are running things ??? your so good at being a critic of opposition, but never of this regime. Amazing.

Edited by ginjag
  • Like 1

How can you 'leave it to the courts to decide' when you've already stated you don't accept their judgement on an earlier case? You either accept their authority or you don't. You can't do it selectively.

Well, PT didn't think court had authority to rule on that particular case. And there are grounds for that which I've already gone into several times (not as clear cut legally as people seem to think). But they later clarified that they accept the court's authority in itself.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of this whole party dissolution business. If there's reform, that's one of the first things they should scrap. Obviously there's also a difference between the right to protest, which should be protected, and this talk of 'blocking elections' - I am not sure what means they intend to use, but if it's anything other than peaceful protest at a distance, then the ECT surely has the right to take action.

• Like 1

Being dissolved could be the best thing for the Democrat party given their inability to reform. Creating a new party - albeit probably with many of the same heads in place - would at least give the semblance of a shift away from the entrenched interests which have made the Dems unelectable. At least for a while.

... and here I was thinking anyone on TV was opposed to enforced party dissolution. How wrong can one be rolleyes.gif

Great post, a good example for others.

My post carries a lot more meaning than it implies, in a harsh way it sums up those with snouts in the trough. In the middle ages they burnt witches at the steak

My meaning therefore is get rid of the bleeding lot. A shower of S#ite most of them. This is not US or Germany -can you imagine what the population would do if the government carried on in this fashion. They are not perfect by any means, but this lot takes the P#SS..

They should ban the Democrats on their own without ask the CC. Since they can reject the CC, why now ask CC to ban them?

The picture is getting clearer. The TS regime is getting larger and uncontrollable. They have been showing they are above the laws numerous times. Even now the new uniform head leaders are siding them.

I think THailand is going to have a President soon. All the lackeys will welcome TS on the red carpet.

• Like 1

... and here I was thinking anyone on TV was opposed to enforced party dissolution. How wrong can one be rolleyes.gif

That's the same as red shirt supporters supporting LM charges against the anti-government protesters.

And the push for reconciliation continues unabated as PT reach out to all opposition parties in a bid to have them join in reforms to advance democracy.

And they all look so proud of their stupidity.

Yes, look like childs wich have a genius idea...smile.png

That's the same as red shirt supporters supporting LM charges against the anti-government protesters.

Don't tell me that would surprise you....

Anyway, I'm not a supporter of the idea of party dissolution, I'm just saying if it did happen - which is obviously unlikely anyway - it might work out better for Thai politics in the long run for the reason given above. Just a bit of speculation. Not unusual on TV.