Buying a new bike

dogpoo

The big bike Yamaha dealer here is probably no better, went in there last year and not one person could speak any English, most dealers usually have someone that can, I saw a T Max today parked up, it looks smaller than the Forza, if it is then it's no good, I'm taking my time I need to make the right choice this time! ,

No it's not smaller and with 200+cc over the Forza it's a helluva lot faster, especially if you tweak the variator. But it's also a lot more expensive especially here in Thailand. Often reckoned to be the most sporty & best of the maxi's, I'd go along with that.

On GT rider forum they are very positive about it expect the silly price.

http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/showthread.php/39291-Yamaha-T-MAx-500-530-in-Thailand

Thanks for that link mate, my trouble might be finding one to look at!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you notice one poster mention that a new Suzuki Bergman 650 will hit the market next year and more power than T max.

Will likely be way cheaper than the T Max, so might be worth waiting for.

Did you notice one poster mention that a new Suzuki Bergman 650 will hit the market next year and more power than T max.

Will likely be way cheaper than the T Max, so might be worth waiting for.

Cheers again, yes that is worth waiting for, I know the manger at Suzuki here so will go for a chat and ask him if he knows anything!

A decision has Been made!! It will be either the NC700 or the VFR1200 going tomorrow to order one of these fantastic bikes!! Looked at the ninja1000 and the Versys but no matter how much I want these two bikes I can't get my head around driving a Manuel transmission in all this traffic, it would do my head in and the bikes would be sold quickly!!

Edited by dogpoo

A decision has Been made!! It will be either the NC700 or the VFR1200 going tomorrow to order one of these fantastic bikes!! Looked at the ninja1000 and the Versys but no matter how much I want these two bikes I can't get my head around driving a Manuel transmission in all this traffic, it would do my head in and the bikes would be sold quickly!!

A decision has been made... does not sound like it if there are still 2 options. But good luck with your choice. The thing that is strange to me is that you think gear changing is a problem. I thought you owned many big bikes ? after a while shifting gears comes so natural you don't even have to think about it.

A decision has been made... does not sound like it if there are still 2 options. But good luck with your choice. The thing that is strange to me is that you think gear changing is a problem. I thought you owned many big bikes ? after a while shifting gears comes so natural you don't even have to think about it.

You don't understand, I have always driven manual bikes all my life, I have never kept one very long, the problem with me is that when I get tired the manual side of motorbikes becomes a chore, the clunk into first gear gets to me, the smooth gear changing which are present when you are feeling fresh and relaxed with me disappear, it all just gets messy, if I lived somewhere where the traffic was light I would buy the Ninja1000 but I live in Phuket where there is nothing but traffic, it has to be auto for me now, I want the ninja so much but if I bought it it would be sold after a few months due to the problems I have mentioned, it's just me!!

Edited by dogpoo

You don't understand, I have always driven manual bikes all my life, I have never kept one very long, the problem with me is that when I get tired the manual side of motorbikes becomes a chore, the clunk into first gear gets to me, the smooth gear changing which are present when you are feeling fresh and relaxed with me disappear, it all just gets messy, if I lived somewhere where the traffic was light I would buy the Ninja1000 but I live in Phuket where there is nothing but traffic, it has to be auto for me now, I want the ninja so much but if I bought it it would be sold after a few months due to the problems I have mentioned, it's just me!!

NC700 then.. Perfect for what you want. Reasonable price (for Thailand) and also few around so proberley decent resale. I think the VFR would be a chore riding on Phuket.

NC700 then.. Perfect for what you want. Reasonable price (for Thailand) and also few around so proberley decent resale. I think the VFR would be a chore riding on Phuket.

Yes I think you are right, plus the hard luggage would need to be purchased, that is not cheap, so it will be the NC700X.

The few things I found wrong with the NC700 can be coped with!

Edited by dogpoo

Dogpoo, I thought you had put a down payment down on a CB 500 X, then you ordered a Versys, and now you are stuck between a VFR 1200 and a NC 700 X DCT.

Is there any bike you don't own or is it all, a sort of fantasy ownership in a virtual world of your own making?

Lol no mate, no fantasy, I'm just taking my time, going into it a lot before making a final decision! I haven't put any deposits down and I won't until I am a 100% sure I am buying the right bike!

All I can say for sure at the moment is that I have particular needs and wants in a bike, this has now narrowed the choice down to two bikes the VFR1200 and the NC700, at the moment the NC700 is top choice, will make a decision and order one of these two bikes next week!

Rode vfr1200 today for 5 laps at bonanza.

Good bike, smooth as hell and dct works well but i of course rode it at manual. There is a delay on gear changes at manual. It sounds also great. but too heavy for me. It is too much for thailand imo and not a great track bike as it feels like dropping into corners. But i m sure dream to tour.

Get nc700x dogpoo.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have never experienced a delay when shifting in manual mode. You don't even have to come off the throttle. Full throttle and + + + +..... Loads of fun. I find the auto mode boring and rarely use it.

Dogpoo, I thought you had put a down payment down on a CB 500 X, then you ordered a Versys, and now you are stuck between a VFR 1200 and a NC 700 X DCT.

Is there any bike you don't own or is it all, a sort of fantasy ownership in a virtual world of your own making?

Lol no mate, no fantasy, I'm just taking my time, going into it a lot before making a final decision! I haven't put any deposits down and I won't until I am a 100% sure I am buying the right bike!

All I can say for sure at the moment is that I have particular needs and wants in a bike, this has now narrowed the choice down to two bikes the VFR1200 and the NC700, at the moment the NC700 is top choice, will make a decision and order one of these two bikes next week!

Good bike, smooth as hell and dct works well but i of course rode it at manual. There is a delay on gear changes at manual. It sounds also great. but too heavy for me. It is too much for thailand imo and not a great track bike as it feels like dropping into corners. But i m sure dream to tour.

Get nc700x dogpoo.

I have never experienced a delay when shifting in manual mode. You don't even have to come off the throttle. Full throttle and + + + +..... Loads of fun. I find the auto mode boring and rarely use it.

a little bit delay and it was not as quick as a conventional tranny but not a big difference imo.

It is a great bike man, on start-finish, i just take my eyes off the speedo and when i looked at back i was doing 230 kph!!!

I tested cbr1000rr too but vfr1200 was nearly as quick as cbr1000r off the line.

But too heavy for my taste and for track still i am sure you are having super nice time while touring and blasting with it Brian! love to own one for touring.

Edited by ll2

You'll regret not checking out that CTX 700. It has the same engine as the NC 700 X but it is a much more relaxing riding experience. Believe me if you go ahead, 6 months from now you'll be selling that NC 700 and getting the CTX.

You'll regret not checking out that CTX 700. It has the same engine as the NC 700 X but it is a much more relaxing riding experience. Believe me if you go ahead, 6 months from now you'll be selling that NC 700 and getting the CTX.

Looked at the CTX, it's nice, if I bought the CTX maybe in 6 months I would sell for the NC, you can't win!!

Get nc700x dogpoo.

Can't get an answer from big wing here about the VFR luggage, would you know how much it is?

In a nutshell, what you're saying is that you have no stamina for riding big bikes, especially in traffic? Dear me!

Some people should just stick to around-town Finos

Just because you live in Phuket doesn't mean there aren't great roads and trips just off the island. What about up past Khao Lak to Ranong and beyond? The fast curves of Phang-nga? Over the mountains from Trang to Hat Yai? Great roads for big bikes. We all get tired on longer rides or through traffic but you just man-up. It's a part of riding big bikes. Sometimes I get off the Gixxer aching and feeling like I've just done some free-weights at the gym. But it's a GOOD ache! Unless you're elderly and/or infirm, I don't get this at all.

In a nutshell, what you're saying is that you have no stamina for riding big bikes, especially in traffic? Dear me!

Some people should just stick to around-town Finos

Just because you live in Phuket doesn't mean there aren't great roads and trips just off the island. What about up past Khao Lak to Ranong and beyond? The fast curves of Phang-nga? Over the mountains from Trang to Hat Yai? Great roads for big bikes. We all get tired on longer rides or through traffic but you just man-up. It's a part of riding big bikes. Sometimes I get off the Gixxer aching and feeling like I've just done some free-weights at the gym. But it's a GOOD ache! Unless you're elderly and/or infirm, I don't get this at all.

My choice, my reasons, don't worry yourself!! I'm not a dedicated biker and never have been, I only go away a few times a year, most of the time my riding is in traffic, I love manual bikes I just choose not to drive them if possible now!! I don't know why I am taking the time to explain but it wastes a few minutes, the Forza is the first biggish bike I have ever owned that is automatic( I have owned many big bikes up to 1100cc all manual, it's great so my choice if possible is to go automatic, anything else I can explain for you?

My choice of bike in the past has been manual now it is automatic, what's the problem?

I'm a good chap going out of my way to explain, no I'm not elderly or infirm, I am very fit!!

Yes there are many great roads around the area, I don't go riding off the Island apart from my 4/6 trips a year up to Cha am.

Keep finding things to say, are you against people that ride automatic bikes? Is this a problem for you, do you not understand people who want to ride automatic bikes, if people ride automatic bikes does it mean they are not real bikers or pleasure bikers in my case?

Edited by dogpoo

FWIW I just put an Auto Clutch (Rekluse) in my bike and it absolutely rocks.

Friken' awesome to cruise around town on something with power and not have to worry about clutching it all the time.

Still grab the clutch out of habit, but being able to get through the maze of traffic in and around Asoke with the Auto is absolute magic!

Just my 2 cents.

Friken' awesome to cruise around town on something with power and not have to worry about clutching it all the time.

Still grab the clutch out of habit, but being able to get through the maze of traffic in and around Asoke with the Auto is absolute magic!

Just my 2 cents.

And a very good 2 cents they were!

I love the Forza and don't want to part with it, I feel I am being pressured to buy the Honda because of the discounted prices, so I am going to get a second bike which will be manual, best of both worlds, Forza for the traffic riding and the second bike for my trips to Cha am plus a couple of places I visit often here on Phuket that has light traffic, love manual bikes away from heavy traffic, it's not a problem should I encounter traffic on my trips but never have in the last 4 years so all is good, I will let Xmas slide by then go back to Kawasaki or maybe Honda and either get the Versys or the Ninja1000SX and from Honda maybe the CB500X but practicality says it will be the Versys or CB500X.

This has been a first for me, it's the first time ever I have not rushed in and bought something on a whim, doesn't feel so good but it's probably saved me a shed load of money!

Have a great Xmas to all!!

Edited by dogpoo

ll2 How was Banaza?

It looked like a fun day!

Dogpoo Before you drop a load on a major purchase with Yamaha Make sure they have decent customer service! The shop in Pattaya is horrendous.

It took me a whole 10 minutes to walk in & out due to their lack of attentiveness & about zero knowledge of their product. I new more about the bikes I had selected than they did. on both the Dragstars I wanted to get they couldn't even tell me what the duties & taxes were on the smaller & 1100 series I inquired about. I was not to impressed. On the 1100 I was led to believe that the warranty work would not be done by Yamaha in Pattaya since it was an import. That's all I needed to hear. The impo9rt should be exactly the same in terms of maintenance & they were trying to sell me on it was a special breed which is BS. I hope Phuket is better or run to either a Honda or Kawasaki. For touring even the 650 Versys would be perfect for your body size. I would have bought the Versys myself but 5'8 would be about the perfect minimum height. If you select to big of bike it may be tough to maneuver around the Islands! Have you thought of renting the bikes you are interested in before you buy?

It made my decision Easy when I rented a Ninja Honda & the ER6n. I was able to pin down the exact bike I wanted by renting them for 2 days each. I liked the ER6n over the Ninja because it seemed a lot cooler on my legs than the full fairing bike.And the Honda wasn't offered in the 650 range at the time & since I have not toured much in LOS the 1000CBR was more than I needed & the ER gets around Pattaya traffic much easier.

Even though the price will change The bike companies seem to drop their prices to be in with the competition so I would not jam yourself to buy quick because of that selling point only. Cause you never know. The Givi box I wanted was 6800 at first no discount(at Kawasaki Pattaya) next day I came in with 5000 baht in 5 1000 baht notes & they broke to 5200 . So money in hand does talk regardless what they tell you- No one likes to see cash walk out the door......That being said it still won't get the delivery date Que jumped up I found out. They even gave me 20% off on the frame sliders I got (not an advertised discount)

bonanza was great fun beardog. i ll post a report soon.

dogpoo, in the end i feel like you will get the cb500x!

Congratulations to 112 the second bike I will be getting is the CB500X due to the price being 100k less than the Versys and a hell of a lot cheaper than the Ninja, this is a good decision as my biking buddy is coming back to Thailand next Feb so he can use either the Forza or the CB 500 we will be road tripping to Cha am on the 23rd feb for big fish fishing and lots of beer!!

Since you are now going to get a manual bike after all, I think you should definitely go for the Suzuki Raider. It absolutely fits your revised spec and budget. Just think you'll be screwing around the hills and vales of Phuket, the envy of all.

Suzuki Raider, that's the one for you.

• Like 1

I love the Forza and don't want to part with it, I feel I am being pressured to buy the Honda because of the discounted prices, so I am going to get a second bike which will be manual, best of both worlds, Forza for the traffic riding and the second bike for my trips to Cha am plus a couple of places I visit often here on Phuket that has light traffic, love manual bikes away from heavy traffic, it's not a problem should I encounter traffic on my trips but never have in the last 4 years so all is good, I will let Xmas slide by then go back to Kawasaki or maybe Honda and either get the Versys or the Ninja1000SX and from Honda maybe the CB500X but practicality says it will be the Versys or CB500X.This has been a first for me, it's the first time ever I have not rushed in and bought something on a whim, doesn't feel so good but it's probably saved me a shed load of money! Have a great Xmas to all!!

It's been like watching paint dry for us! (Joke)

Merry Xmas and safe riding on something in 2014

Just my 2 cents.

What bike do you ride? Does this work with all manual bikes?

there used to be a poster on here ,lived in phuket as well ,he had the z1000 for a short while and obviously sold it as just not practical for phuket ,he also had one of them nissian micra things,its not you by any chance is it.

i think you really better sticking with the forza………it seems to tick all your boxes

I love the Forza and don't want to part with it, I feel I am being pressured to buy the Honda because of the discounted prices, so I am going to get a second bike which will be manual, best of both worlds, Forza for the traffic riding and the second bike for my trips to Cha am plus a couple of places I visit often here on Phuket that has light traffic, love manual bikes away from heavy traffic, it's not a problem should I encounter traffic on my trips but never have in the last 4 years so all is good, I will let Xmas slide by then go back to Kawasaki or maybe Honda and either get the Versys or the Ninja1000SX and from Honda maybe the CB500X but practicality says it will be the Versys or CB500X. This has been a first for me, it's the first time ever I have not rushed in and bought something on a whim, doesn't feel so good but it's probably saved me a shed load of money! Have a great Xmas to all!!

Ha ha!

Maybe you should just make your Forza better. You could upgrade the suspension or even put a new exhaust on it, Akrapovic is a good choice. Oh wait!

Edited by macknife
  • Like 1

Since you are now going to get a manual bike after all, I think you should definitely go for the Suzuki Raider. It absolutely fits your revised spec and budget. Just think you'll be screwing around the hills and vales of Phuket, the envy of all.

Suzuki Raider, that's the one for you.

Each to there own mate!!

I love the Forza and don't want to part with it, I feel I am being pressured to buy the Honda because of the discounted prices, so I am going to get a second bike which will be manual, best of both worlds, Forza for the traffic riding and the second bike for my trips to Cha am plus a couple of places I visit often here on Phuket that has light traffic, love manual bikes away from heavy traffic, it's not a problem should I encounter traffic on my trips but never have in the last 4 years so all is good, I will let Xmas slide by then go back to Kawasaki or maybe Honda and either get the Versys or the Ninja1000SX and from Honda maybe the CB500X but practicality says it will be the Versys or CB500X. This has been a first for me, it's the first time ever I have not rushed in and bought something on a whim, doesn't feel so good but it's probably saved me a shed load of money! Have a great Xmas to all!!

Ha ha!

Maybe you should just make your Forza better. You could upgrade the suspension or even put a new exhaust on it, Akrapovic is a good choice. Oh wait!

It's so nice you all show an interest it makes me feel loved!! Bless!!

You ride a Forza? All of 24 hp? You the man! 555! No wonder you hate loud pipes.

Oh, but your new bike has 46 hp? These bloody hooligans with their big bikes! What's the world coming to?

You big girl's blouse!

Edited by H1w4yR1da

there used to be a poster on here ,lived in phuket as well ,he had the z1000 for a short while and obviously sold it as just not practical for phuket ,he also had one of them nissian micra things,its not you by any chance is it.

i think you really better sticking with the forza………it seems to tick all your boxes

Are you asking me or telling me?