Suthep says EC performs ugly registration

webfact

Suthep says EC performs ugly registration

12-24-2013-11-26-31-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The secretary-general of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) warned the new 5-member of Election Commission (EC) of facing election fraud charge over what he called “ugly” registration of party’s documents at police station instead of at the official registration venue at the Bangkok Youth Center (Thai-Japan).

Addressing to supporters at the Democracy Monument last night, the PDRC secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban said that the EC was performing illegally when it allowed representatives of political parties to register party-lest candidates at Din Daeng police station instead of just filing normal complaints.

He said police station is where the police will book complaints filed by the people.

But it was very usual to see EC officials at the police station to examine and check the documents of the political parties which could not enter.

These parties registered party-list candidates at the police station from 3.00 a.m. with the EC officials which he said was very “ugly” as police station is not a registration venue announced by the EC.

Besides, the official hours for registration started 8.00 a.m. and not 3.00 a.m., he said.

Such usual practices by the EC risked election fraud charge, he warned and said that although he has acquaintance with some EC commissioners they should regard to this wrong practices.

He then urged the EC to stop holding further registration as more troubles are lying ahead if it continues to register.

The EC said after the closure of the registration hours yesterday a total of 35 parties have shown their intentions to contest in the party-list election.

Of the 35 parties, only nine are qualified after they submitted documents and registered at the official venue at Bangkok Youth Center (Thai-Japan) while the rest still needed to submit documents officially at the official venue at the center.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/suthep-says-ec-performs-ugly-registration/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2013-12-24

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one getting tired of this nutcase ranting??bah.gif

My friend just emailed me, to point out that a certain person's name is only one letter away from an anagram of "shut up."

In either case, Suthep is dragging Thailand's name through the dirt on the international stage, in my humble opinion, and doing so in such a fevered manner, that he should scatter seeds along the way, and at least contribute something positive to the future, in the form of flowering plants.

I'm just a humble visitor to this great nation, but I do care a lot about Thailand's image internationally, and this kind of demagogic ranting we are seeing is something that does not belong in the 21st Century, anywhere. The fact that he personally does not seek to be the #1 honcho of the new regime, does not change the fact that he is doing all the legwork, and should be held accountable for that after the event.

• Like 1

ahem...is he the crazy one or do i not understand something here? i mean, first he blocks the designated registration venue and then he complains when the EC, whose task under the current and valid law of the land it is to organize elections, find alternate options? either he is very naive, believing that all parties will cave in to his demands at once or he is totally delusional.

generally, i believe it would have been better if the democrats would have decided to contest the elections; maybe, with all the disgruntled rice farmers, etc. they would have had a chance to win this one. and then they could ushered in reforms - if they really want them and are sincere here, that is...

although the official underlying theme of the demonstrations is good - reform -, neither is suthep the ideal person to lead such a push for reforms, nor are his actions adequate in a democracy...

but me being the old cynic, i really do not believe that ANY of the two parties' leaders (the ptp as well as the democrats or suthep) is sincere in meaning what they are saying... and so it will continue and i think the big mayhem will start on the 02.02.14...latest!

sure. i guess it will be chaos on 02/02/14 and probably for a long time to come from there onwards...

Haha, send his protesters to block the party candidates from registering, and then complain about it being an 'ugly' process when alternative avenues for registering are necessary.

The more road blocks he puts in place is just going to make the whole election process even less organized and potentially far less transparent than normal, which obviously would open it up to corrupt practices even more.

EC should officially move the registration venue to Udon or Chiang Mai.

At the same time, Yingluck should also declare that to be Thailand new capital.

If things don't calm down, on both sides, there may very well be two capitals.....of two different countries.

What is it with this PTP having to do everything in secret and in the dead of night.

Push the vote for the second reading of the amnesty bill in secret and at 4.25 AM.

Push the senate vote through in secret and at 2.35 AM when they stated that debate would resume at 9AM the next day.

Now registering their party and their full list at 3 AM in secret. They are the only party to have totally complete the entire process.

The EC wanted postponement until YL forced a meeting, then they turn around and defend Feb 2nd elections. Strange how they can hold a meeting with the leader of a party in the run up to the elections, I thought that would be very illegal seeing they are to be totally neutral.

You going to try to tell me that the EC are not now in Thaksin's pocket?.... you going to be that gullible?

Suthep is 100% correct.... It IS ugly!!

Just one more reason why these elections can not continue, and I am willing to bet any member on here a cash wager that they don't happen.

Edited by Nibbles48

What is it with this PTP having to do everything in secret and in the dead of night.

Push the vote for the second reading of the amnesty bill in secret and at 4.25 AM.

Push the senate vote through in secret and at 2.35 AM when they stated that debate would resume at 9AM the next day.

Now registering their party and their full list at 3 AM in secret. They are the only party to have totally complete the entire process.

The EC wanted postponement until YL forced a meeting, then they turn around and defend Feb 2nd elections. Strange how they can hold a meeting with the leader of a party in the run up to the elections, I thought that would be very illegal seeing they are to be totally neutral.

You going to try to tell me that the EC are not now in Thaksin's pocket?.... you going to be that gullible?

Just one more reason why these elections can not continue, and I am willing to bet any member on here a cash wager that they don't happen.

Yep you are right, the PTP are very smart and beating Suthep and the Undems at every turn. Sutheps rants just push any chance of a the Undems ever getting back in power in foreseeable future.

The elections will continue, surprised Suthep is against them, seeing he was the defender of the constitution, suddenly he violates the very same constitution he is claiming to defend. It is funny you defend the bloke, the reason 9 parties needed to come in the middle of the night was because Suthep announced he would prevent parties from registering. Apparently his protestors were still asleep at 3 am, so the politicians took their chances. A victory for democracy. Ugly is what Suthep wants, luckily he doesn't get his way.

• Like 2

Whoever, red, yellow, democrat, communist, anarchic gives credit to Suthep for this last rant, is totally out of track...

How can he blame EC choosing another venue when he seized the designed one?

Gosh the two factions shows stupidity more and more, day by day.

• Like 2

If things don't calm down, on both sides, there may very well be two capitals.....of two different countries.

Just like Sudan & South Sudan?

If Thailand really split up, the North can join Laos, and the South can join Malaysia.

Win Win for Laos and Malaysia.

• Like 1

I have a question. The full article stated that 35 parties registered, but only nine were qualified. Why were the overwhelming majority of registrants disqualified?

Anyone?

It means 9 are fully registered as they managed to sneak in under the cover of Darkness.

The other 35 did not has not completed the process (as they did theirs at Din Daeng Police Station), but they have until Friday to complete the registration process.

• Like 1

I have a question. The full article stated that 35 parties registered, but only nine were qualified. Why were the overwhelming majority of registrants disqualified?

Anyone?

It means 9 are fully registered as they managed to sneak in under the cover of Darkness.

The other 35 did not has not completed the process (as they did theirs at Din Daeng Police Station), but they have until Friday to complete the registration process.

Thanks.

Thai politics is fairly opaque at the best of times, particularly so for foreigners, even more so for foreigners not conversant in Thai. However in times of conflict and change, the situation becomes slightly more transparent and the true ugliness of it briefly goes on public view before the curtain is drawn again over the criminality, incompetent governance and dead bodies.

• Like 1

i know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but i'm struggling to see how anyone can see beauty in suthep's plan to force out the government by causing chaos (and deaths) on the streets of the capital city, with inevitable consequence of even more chaos (and deaths)

i understand that political campaigning requires some effort (albeit not so much when the rival party is weak and the electorate are cheap) but for suthep to take thailand further off the path to peace and cause more destruction (and deaths), just to avoid a bit of hard work in his pursuit of power, is nothing but psychopathic

I am surprised that has not been done before now, with other government offices moved north as well.

Let the yellows protest all they want in Bangkok coffee1.gif

Too simple.

The elections will continue, surprised Suthep is against them, seeing he was the defender of the constitution, suddenly he violates the very same constitution he is claiming to defend. It is funny you defend the bloke, the reason 9 parties needed to come in the middle of the night was because Suthep announced he would prevent parties from registering. Apparently his protestors were still asleep at 3 am, so the politicians took their chances. A victory for democracy. Ugly is what Suthep wants, luckily he doesn't get his way.

It's only Nibbles, medication time Nibs passifier.gif