7.5kg of 'ice' inside Khon Kaen woman's shoes

webfact

The Bangkok-based worker reportedly confessed to having been hired to carry the drugs by a dark-skinned foreigner who befriended her at her church

I suggest you start praying for some forgiveness now my dear.

At a church, really?

Jesus works in mysterious ways my friend!!

• Like 1

If she had done this before she would have known that Customs has an X-ray scanner installed at the border crossing.

I crossed last week and everybody on the bus has to take their bags off the bus to pass through customs (unlike a few years ago when you could leave your bags on the bus).

The strange thing was that when I walked passed the X-ray machine the belt was running and the custom official was standing there but he did not ask to X-ray my bags. No other visitors to Thailand around the machine at the time, so obviously he couldn't be bothered to check my bags.

Maybe this lax attitude enboldens people to risk smuggling???

There are some absolute mongos on this site that think that all the police need to do is swap the ice for baking soda, offer her a deal and follow her to the "Mr Big". Where as that kind of basic ars#d policing may have worked to catch the likes of Howard Marks or whoever, criminals as well as policing tactics have evolved somewhat. A parcel sent through the post or on a ship for example that may well work, as it cannot be visually watched at all times but a human on a bus, even the dumbest of criminal would most likely wanna keep an eye on his 30 million baht. Even if you were too lazy to watch, most smart phones have gps and any delay of over say 30 mins at customs would be a huge red flag even to the most retarded of criminals. anyone posting "just follow it to mr big" clearly needs to get back in the arc with Jessica Fletcher and Miss Marple!

People onTVisa seem to be under the misapprehension that all Thai police are stupid, if they were they would follow your advice to the letter "and follow it back to mr big", and all they would have now would be a false name of most probably an African with no visa, who hang around nana soi 3 and had tossed his pay as you go phone!

Edited by JeremyBowskill
  • Like 1

They should have followed through and got the dark skinned guy, she is just a courier and the guy is the prize catch, very poor policing work I say. I am sure she would lead them to him in exchange for a lighter sentence. Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What makes you think the dark skinned fella didn't have someone on the bus, knew about it all before the police had even chance to ask her his name and tossed his pay as you go burner phone long before they could even consider a sting? You really think people are just trusted to wander round with 30 million bahts worth of anything?

Time and time again we see the same post after similar drug busts, the why not follow them to Mr big conspiracy theory posts. Quite simply the police know they might as well pee last nights new years whiskey into the wind as chase nothing.

A look at the buses other passengers or other foot passengers crossing at the same time, may prove far more useful. Which I am sure they are onto already.

You're probably right but it wouldn't hurt to try.

They should have followed through and got the dark skinned guy, she is just a courier and the guy is the prize catch, very poor policing work I say. I am sure she would lead them to him in exchange for a lighter sentence. Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What makes you think the dark skinned fella didn't have someone on the bus, knew about it all before the police had even chance to ask her his name and tossed his pay as you go burner phone long before they could even consider a sting? You really think people are just trusted to wander round with 30 million bahts worth of anything?

Time and time again we see the same post after similar drug busts, the why not follow them to Mr big conspiracy theory posts. Quite simply the police know they might as well pee last nights new years whiskey into the wind as chase nothing.

A look at the buses other passengers or other foot passengers crossing at the same time, may prove far more useful. Which I am sure they are onto already.

Yes it would hurt, total waste of man hours and limited resources for an already overstretched police force. Time better spent investigating properly, as I'm sure they are doing.

Edited by JeremyBowskill

Another wasted opportunity to get a bigger fish. Should have let her meet up with her handler. coffee1.gif

I wonder too, why she was allowed her to wear a mask with the superior witness protection, protective custody and potential death penalty programs they have here. On the other hand, maybe since it's New Year, the officers felt sorry for her not wanting her friends and family to see her face. Possibilities are endless.

Yes it would hurt, total waste of man hours and limited resources for an already overstretched police force. Time better spent investigating properly, as I'm sure they are doing.

I admire your confidence and I hope you're right but I have my doubts. Do they catch many people further up the chain using their current methods?

One thing I couldn't tell was did they discover the drugs using the X-ray? If they did then could they not just let her go through and follow her. I'm not saying it's that easy but just a thought.

If they are overstretched that would set them apart from the traffic police I've seen.

Edited by kimamey
  • Like 1

Wonder why police didn't catch the main ring leader ???

Meeting a dark skinned guy at church !?!, ok that's new and at church getting a proposal for a crime and then act on it that's something unique also wonder how only she was picked from church by that dark skin man???

kimamey

I do think that is why we see so many daft posts about the police in Thailand, I think it is a common misconception among TV posters that all police are as useless as the helmet tea money collecting, il-fitting uniform wearing Somchais they meet on a regular basis. Admittedly that kind of policeman could most probably barely find his A$#e with both hands, but they do not use that kind of policeman on these kinds of cases. As for letting the drugs through and following it without delaying the person or arousing suspicion, I have no idea if that would be permitted or not, maybe someone with some actual policing experience could shed some light on it...... However I suspect you need to ascertain exactly what a substance is before you can infringe on someones civil liberties, I guess there would be absolutely no law against transporting say icing sugar in such a way, however there may be some law against the police following someone for the possession of icing sugar. Not exactly sure and never intend to find out.

You of course would need 1 hell of a policeforce sat around on the off chance of someone walking through customs with something, to be able to pull off such a covert mission also. Not to mention, lawyers and judges sitting around on the off chance they may be needed to sign warrants and stuff also.

Also how would you know who and where the drop off was? She might hand the bag to a tuc tuc driver and the poor chap might find himself in the middle of an episode of Niami Vice, after all you wouldn't know you were looking for a dark man if she hadn't told them.

Edited by JeremyBowskill
  • Like 1

"...reportedly confessed to having been hired to carry the drugs by a dark-skinned foreigner who befriended her at her church."

An emissary of the Lord no less!

Silly silly ... poor thing. What'll the kids do now?

They should have followed through and got the dark skinned guy, she is just a courier and the guy is the prize catch, very poor policing work I say. I am sure she would lead them to him in exchange for a lighter sentence.

"Very poor police work, I'd say"??!!

Oh damn. I doubt that methodology has ever occurred to a Thai policeman.

Wonder why they keep missing the opportunity to implement it. Hmm, must be because it's just not as simple as that.

Seriosuly, I do wish you armchair sleuths would just pipe down and go back to watching The Rockford Files or something.

And that's why the drug problem will never improve because no wants to do the hard yards and put in the extra effort. ...mia pen rai

Grab some quick headlines from an easy bust and then just wait for the next easy target.

Of course the "dark skinned guy" could actually be a police captain from another province so they were never gojng chase him anyway..... another law and order issue thats just swept under the carpet in Thailand

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I heard from one of her family members she was to be in an arranged marriage next week. Unfortunately...she got

cold feet...7.5 kg of cold feet... (at 3.75 kg per foot, she must be a size 90, at least).

tongue.png

Ice-thinksocoffee1.gif

kimamey

I do think that is why we see so many daft posts about the police in Thailand, I think it is a common misconception among TV posters that all police are as useless as the helmet tea money collecting, il-fitting uniform wearing Somchais they meet on a regular basis. Admittedly that kind of policeman could most probably barely find his A$#e with both hands, but they do not use that kind of policeman on these kinds of cases. As for letting the drugs through and following it without delaying the person or arousing suspicion, I have no idea if that would be permitted or not, maybe someone with some actual policing experience could shed some light on it...... However I suspect you need to ascertain exactly what a substance is before you can infringe on someones civil liberties, I guess there would be absolutely no law against transporting say icing sugar in such a way, however there may be some law against the police following someone for the possession of icing sugar. Not exactly sure and never intend to find out.

You of course would need 1 hell of a policeforce sat around on the off chance of someone walking through customs with something, to be able to pull off such a covert mission also. Not to mention, lawyers and judges sitting around on the off chance they may be needed to sign warrants and stuff also.

Also how would you know who and where the drop off was? She might hand the bag to a tuc tuc driver and the poor chap might find himself in the middle of an episode of Niami Vice, after all you wouldn't know you were looking for a dark man if she hadn't told them.

Strangely I've never had to pay a fine or bribe on the few occasions I've been stopped b the police on the road so my experience is mainly through seeing them work. I must just be lucky.

From what I know of policing in the UK these things are dealt with by building up intelligence. It's often known exactly who the man at the top is but evidence is needed to prove it. It's quite often clear that someone is living beyond their legitimate means and these people have to sell on the drugs to make money. In cases where drug smuggling rings are broken it usually take many hours of police work to achieve it. surveillance to see who they come into contact with that isn't connected with their legitimate business and following back to those who bring in the drugs. They can then be followed knowing where they will end up. This is fairly simplistic and most of these cases are very complex.

Of course they may not bother because they know nothing will happen to anyone they find but I doubt someone's civil liberties are considered as they might be elsewhere.

I don't know much about the Thai police used in these circumstances but looking at all the evidence of senior police being promoted through payment and family connections rather than ability doesn't bode well. There are also some high profile ex policemen who don't paint a good impression either.