US grants Bt34 million fund for Ayutthaya's Wat Chai restoration

webfact

US Grants Bt34 Million Fund for Wat Chai's Restoration
Pakamas Jaichalard
The Nation

30223746-01_big.JPG
File Photo

BANGKOK: -- The United States provides Bt34 million totally to Ayutthaya's Wat Chai Watthanaram restoration project, said Fine Arts Department director-general Anek Sihamat yesterday.

Anek said the World Monument Fund (WMF) said they would give 347,000 USD (about Bt11 million) to the temple restoration project's phrase 2, after the Ambassadors Fund for Cultural Preservation (AFCP) had last year funded the project at 700,000 USD (about Bt23 million). Such aid helped boost the two countries' diplomatic ties which had been going on for 180 years now, he added.

Anek went on that the US embassy also had continuously aided the restoration of ancient sites in Ayutthaya that were hit by the 2011 flood by sending experts to survey the sites and provide suggestions to the Thai department in resoting the sites.

In the Wat Chai Watthanaram restoration project's phrase 2 to commence in February, the US would send six experts to work with the department officials in collecting architecture data. They would use a 3D-laser camera to check the temple structure, do geological exploration on soil layers and water-retention capacity for further research and construction of flood barriers, and install water pressure-measuring devices within the temple compound, according to him.

The press conference for such grant would be organised on January 9 at the National Museum's Samrammukhamat Pavilion.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-08

• Like 1

Hey, I'm American and my house flooded in 2011, also (muang ake). Ummm... I need my 45,000 deposit back first! I lost everything! and landlord says "I caused the flood". but, just put me in charge of this project and I will re-locate back to my old house and keep a tight eye on these proceedings. the (rot fai) train station from muang ake to Ayutthaya is prime. many times I've taken this train (and into nong khai). don't miss it!

I guess it's a good thing. The only Wats in Thailand that Americans usually donate to are Wats Nana, Cowboy, and Patpong.

along with Germans, Swedes, Dutch, Arabs, Persians, Africans, Canadians, Australians, Kiwis, Japanese, Koreans, Indians, and a rumor of a small contingent of people from the UK also making donations at those 3 Wats. Sorry if I missed out your country.

Edited by 55Jay

Surely America should be spending the publics tax Dollars

rebuilding the devastated areas in the U.S. caused by all

the serious weather problems they have been having in

last few years.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

I guess it's a good thing. The only Wats in Thailand that Americans usually donate to are Wats Nana, Cowboy, and Patpong.

along with Germans, Swedes, Dutch, Arabs, Persians, Africans, Canadians, Australians, Kiwis, Japanese, Koreans, Indians, and a rumor of a small contingent of people from the UK also making donations at those 3 Wats. Sorry if I missed out your country.

Well, I mentioned only MY country because we were the only ones donating to the Wat in Ayudthaya.

The countries you listed, besides frequenting the same Bangkok Wats, prefer to donate elsewhere in useless things such as knowledge in heavy industry technologies, medical technology, automotive manufacturing and assembly, flood control, bridges, stadiums, trends and fashion, and the biggest waste of all, education. We are much happier donating to aged temples that will in no doubt come across more flood waters or civil war in the near future.

Well, I mentioned only MY country because we were the only ones donating to the Wat in Ayudthaya.

The countries you listed, besides frequenting the same Bangkok Wats, prefer to donate elsewhere in useless things such as knowledge in heavy industry technologies, medical technology, automotive manufacturing and assembly, flood control, bridges, stadiums, trends and fashion, and the biggest waste of all, education. We are much happier donating to aged temples that will in no doubt come across more flood waters or civil war in the near future.

Ah, OK, perhaps I misinterpreted your intended slight. I agree the US has better things to spend money on, then again, it's the State Dept. jerk.gif

• Like 1

Many countries have better things to spend money on. Most do including the USA. Why can't a nice generous jesture be just that? If the Swedes did this probably no one on here would comment or they would get praised for it. IMHO

So the American government borrows money from China to give to Thailand so they can charge Americans 5 times what Thai people pay to visit something that the Thai couldn't even be bothered to spend their own money to restore. Then the Thais will find a way to blame America for something or other and will protesting at the embassy again.

It seems pretty clear that either Obama's administration is trying to destroy America or they are setting up something big in Thailand that they don't want people to know about.

Edited by Time Traveller

Many countries have better things to spend money on. Most do including the USA. Why can't a nice generous jesture be just that? If the Swedes did this probably no one on here would comment or they would get praised for it. IMHO

I never see Swede bashing here either, but I see US bashing regularly. You get bad with the good.

What do the US bashers have to say now?

Looks to me like the US government is following the PTP mantra of buying favor. What in the name of blue Jesus has an ancient temple got to do with the US at a point where it has a massive deficit and shortfalls in its own domestic spending.

This is a country of 67 million purported Buddhist believers many of whom are disgustingly rich and they are looking for handout for this project.

Furthermore, I seriously doubt if more than 50% of this actually finds it way into a restoration project.

This is Thailand and this is on Thai soil and part of the heritage they are continually ranting on about along with their self sufficiency yet they can not look after what they claim to be a national treasure. If I was an US citizen familiar with the workings of Thailand then this would surely piss me off.

• Like 1

Well at least something good amongst all the tales of woe in the news.

It is shameful that other countries must come to the aid of Thailand in protecting its heritage. However it is a way of helping to preserve world history and I applaud that.