Lost sim card

SCARLETIBIS1

My New Year's resolution was to stop complaining about anything Thai. Well, that came to a screaching halt yesterday. I had just returned from a two month trip out of Thailand. Upon my return I noticed I had lost my phone sim card. My phone number has been the same one for many, many years. I usually just go to the AIS phone store near the night bazaar and refill my phone and internet once a month.

Well, when I went to the store it was closed and had been moved. So I went to the Telewiz shop in Kad Suan Keaw. There was a line of about a dozen people so I simply asked the counter girl if I could get a new sim card there. She said sure just take a ticket and get in line. No problem. I took my ticket and waited 45 minutes in line. When I got to the agent and explained I lost my card and simply needed a new one she told me that no can do that I have to go to the police station and make a report if I want to keep my old phone number. I was incredulous. First of all I had waited 45 minutes in line AFTER being told I could get a new sim card there and then when I asked why in the world would I need to go to the police station I was told that it was a new law this year. Apparently, someone had used a stolen phone down south to set off a bomb. Now, what that has to do with anything I have no idea.

If you want to set off a bomb you don't have to steal someone's phone. And last time I looked you can go to any phone store and buy a sim card with no ID.

But it gets worse. So I drive to the police station by the river and explain to the cops what happened and of course I am told to go buy a new sim card. I wind up talking to half a dozen cops who have no clue my problem is. Finally, I get a cop who informs me that I have to go to the police station on Walking Street. That one is just for traffic. Apparently, they aren't trained to take reports. Making a report that you lost your phone card takes years of experience to learn how to do.

It would have been nice if the phone company told me which police station I needed to go to but hey... So I go to the other police station and I am instructed to talk with a tourist policeman who is Thai. I explain my problem. Of course the first thing they ask for is your passport which I just figured I would need and brought it. Why, I do not know. Then he asks me where did I lose the sim card? I said if I knew where I lost it I wouldn't be there. I would know where it was. I said I don't know for sure which country I lost it in. But I think maybe Hong Kong the first place I visited. He says if I lost it there I could not get a new sim card with my old phone number. So I said whoops, I meant I lost it in Thailand. So then he asks me where in Thailand? I'm getting the drift that my answers are meaningless but I need to give him something. So I said the parking lot of my apartment. Then he asks me what time did I lose it? I said 12:04 am. Then he wants to know exactly what day did I lost it? So I gave him a date.

It was all I could do to keep from laughing out loud. So then we go to the officer in charge. The tourist policeman explains to the cop what the problem is. The cop then proceeds to check out my sunglasses and then my phone. We exchange some bantering. He was cool. He pulls out a standard report form and makes the original plus 3 copies. I had no idea what it said but it was only one sentence long. I pay him 20 baht.

Oh, I forgot. After I got done answering all the stupid questions the tourist policeman asked me I asked him what the purpose of all the questions were. His response was that they just needed to verify that I had really lost the phone. Of course, if I hadn't lost the phone I wouldn't be there in the first place but I guess that was beyond his logic quotient.

So I go back to the phone company and hand them the report. I asked the girl what it said. I quote, "Kun ... reports his phone was lost with the phone number. That's it. NOTHING ELSE. So I pay the girl for topping off the phone and paying for internet service. She then says you are all done here. I kindly remind her that she hasn't given me the new phone card yet. LOL

<snip>

The question is does anyone out there have a clue why a police report is necessary?

If anyone has a more ridiculous story than this, I will pay for a one hour massage at the massage parlor of your choice.

Edited by SeaVisionBurma
Removed inappropriate language and slurs against Thailand
  • Like 1

So that they can give you a sim card with the number that you say was yours.

When the person makes the necessary arrangement for that number to be on that sim card, they probably get asked 'do you have the police report?'

It's like in the UK, when your car window gets smashed. You need a crime number for the insurance. Everyone knows they won't pursue the crime, they won't catch anyone, it;s a waste of time, but you still need the crime number or it isn't officially a crime.

In your case, the sim card isn't officially lost until there is a police report.

I lost my bank book and had to get a police report to make it official. Bit of a pain, but easily done.

If you lose it again, it won't be quite such a surprise will it? :)

I lost my whole phone last November and was told i had to go to police [by a local Thai businesswoman i know]...same as you..i did,and .i just walked out in frustration..thought not worth the bother and decided to just get a new sim etc, but later was walking past AIS and thought i'd go and ask....

Basically no problem at all, asked for my number, asked who i had called last, then actually called my most frequent called number[wife] asked her to describe me, which she did and ten minutes later had my replacement simcard...smile.png ...

• Like 1

Isn't it actually rather good that you can get a new SIM with the same number so easily? The only thing needed being a simple police report. If no report were needed then any Tom, Dick or Somchai could wander into AIS and get your number.

If no report were needed then any Tom, Dick or Somchai could wander into AIS and get your number.

Not at all..read my post above where they confirmed that i was the legitimate claimer to the lost number ..before giving me a new card..easy to verify.., as they did so

• Like 1

If I'm not mistaken, most SIM cards are registered to the owner. I recall having lost my DTAC SIM and headed to the nearest DTAC center ( not a reseller). I proved my identity with the use of a current passport and was issued a new SIM with the old number. In fact the new SIM came with previous credits. I suggest you deal with the operator only and not resellers when matters such as this arise.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 2

Well the only issue here is whether the SIM card is post paid or prepaid. If it is postpaid everything is very simple. All you need to do is show your photo ID.

But if its prepaid everything is a lot more difficult. I had the same problem in the UK. The only answer was since I didn't register my name, date of birth with a valid ID I had to get a new number.

My daughter had her BlackBerry stolen last year on a post Pay True 3G data contract. Reported it to the police (it was a break in, so lost other stuff too). Called True who stopped the number, but even though the phone had GPS they could not trace it (same for IPad too - guess they simply took the batteries out of both!). Went into the shop in Airport Plaza and they gave us a new sim card, set with the same number etc - took about 20 minutes while they sorted out the change over (to do with BlackBerry network too - changing over to the new BB Pin) and all done. I took the original contract papers with me, my passport (as it was in my name) and signed a few papers to allow the switch. No worries (was lucky we had an older BB phone to use to swap it over). They were worried at first as they thought I wanted to cancel my 3 BB data accounts (no idea where that idea came from), but were happy when I explained I wanted to continue them, just needed a new sim and the old phone set back up. I actually wasn't too worried about her keeping the number, but they did that anyway.

I recall some years ago it became necessary to go and register my details against my phone number.

I believe at the time it was made obligatory due to mobile phones being used to trigger bombs in the south.

It also threatened that numbers without such details would be reclaimed.

I have certainly obtained 2 or 3 SIM cards (different numbers) since then, without any such requirement.

They are good at making regulations...... but lose interest in maintaining them.

I sympathize with your ordeal. Hard to believe you can't just go to the AIS main office on Thapae Road and get a new SIM card with your old number. Or...have one of the wizards at the 10,000 phone shops around here hack you a new one.

It's amazing to me how easy it is to get a new SIM card/phone number here at any phone shop. In Malaysia it's a HUGE deal, with a police report. Can't just go get a new number whenever you want to hide from the old girlfriend.

I must say that mobile phone service in Thailand is MUCH easier than was my experience in the US. Just go to any 7-11 and buy more time, as needed. Go into any phone shop and have a staggering choice of "unlocked" phones in any price range, and Somchai will fix you up with a configuration that suits you. In the US it's long contracts, with big penalties for early termination, with a locked phone that can't be used on the competitors system. And a bewildering array of "plans" (a Plan to bone you, shallow or deep) that always seem to lack some feature you want.

Dig it, a feel good story about Wonderful Thailand! I'm staying!

You should stick to your new years resolution and stop complaining.

It's not unreasonable for you to be asked for a police report..actually it's normal practice and has been for years.

So you spent 45 mins in a queue... are you suggesting you shouldn't need to join the queue ???

You went to the traffic police... of course they can't help.

Basically it was no fuss, you just seem to enjoy making a big issue out of it in my opinion.

It would be a LOT harder in most other countries.

Took me about 10 minutes in Telewiz 3 weeks ago. All I had to do was show Id and explain I left it at work and needed a replacement. About 3 minutes later walking out with new sim card for no charge. However I am on a post paid and details all registered.

Last time I got one replaced was in Australia, 1/2 hour and $45 later I had my replacement. I like the Thai system a lot better.

Cheers

To the OP, I do not understand your issue with the cue. You first asked about getting a new sim and was told to cue but when you got to the front of the cue asked for a replacement sim for your lost one....

Seems to me the problem was yours and not that of the poor telewiz person.

As per others suggestions, register your sim and getting a replacement is easy, ive done it about 5 times now.

I agree with this statement above: "It's amazing to me how easy it is to get a new SIM card/phone number here..."

This is the primary reason Thailand is the "Fraud Capital of the World!" Hundreds... probably thousands of con artiists LOVE the fact they can go the the 7-11 and buy an untraceabler phone number. They then call victims in other countries and sell all kinds of bullshit worthless stock, etc. They then have the money wired to a Hong Kong or other Asian country bank. They wiithdraw the cash from that bank and carry it back to Thailand... usually in U,S, dollars. I know one total &lt;deleted&gt; who has been doing this for 12 years,, averaging well over $500,000 US per year, He proudly carries around a big leather purse with about a dozen mobile phones in it! He jokes about Thailand being like the "Wild West."

I sympathize with your ordeal. Hard to believe you can't just go to the AIS main office on Thapae Road and get a new SIM card with your old number. Or...have one of the wizards at the 10,000 phone shops around here hack you a new one.

It's amazing to me how easy it is to get a new SIM card/phone number here at any phone shop. In Malaysia it's a HUGE deal, with a police report. Can't just go get a new number whenever you want to hide from the old girlfriend.

sympathize with your ordeal. Hard to believe you can't just go to the AIS main office on Thapae Road and get a new SIM card with your old number. Or...have one of the wizards at the 10,000 phone shops around here hack you a new one.

One reason you can't go to Thapae Rd and get one is because that outlet has been closed for some time now..

Hard to believe you can't just go get another sim? yes,it is hard to believe, because as i posted it is very easy to do..coffee1.gif see #3..

Edited by andreandre
  • Like 1

Isn't it actually rather good that you can get a new SIM with the same number so easily? The only thing needed being a simple police report. If no report were needed then any Tom, Dick or Somchai could wander into AIS and get your number.

Neither Tom, Dick nor Harry nor anyone else could get that number for one year. That is number one.

Number two, I had gotten a new sim card multiple times in the past after leaving the country and coming back in.

Number 3 If I had gone to the new AIS office any number of girls would recognize me and know that I have gone in there every month for the past seven years.

Number 4. If you are correct that any Tom, Dick or Harry could simply walk in and request the same number as me then I sure as heck should be able to do it as well.

Number 5 Who in the world would report their phone number missing if it wasn't especially if they requested the same number. It is beyond reason. So LOGIC , which of course is non existant in LOS would dictate that if someone said they lost their phone card but wanted the same number it would be 1000% accurate to assume the person requesting the new card actually had that number. Come on. Have you all lost your minds in Thailand?

So, sorry but no one has come close to answering why the necessity. No free massage yet either.

• Like 1

Some people apparently can't read very well. I have no problem waiting the 45 miniutes in a cue. However, before I took a number and got in the cue I asked the girl if I could get a replacement card with my old number as I had lost it. As I stated, she said no problem just take a number. THEN I waited 45 minutes and when it was turn after explaining my problem I was told, "no we cannot give you the same phone number until you make a police report".

So I guess the girl lied to me on purpose just to make me wait in line?

To the astute responder who suggested I simply get a new phone number, I would have but I had his wife's private number on the sim card I lost and she sees me once a week for therapy.

Yes, they moved the AIS office but since I was out of the country and not telepathic I had no idea.

The law is apparently a new law starting this year.

I had no idea I could simply "register" the phone number and not have to make a police report. So, registering it vs everyone knowing me and that it is my number does what again??

Regarding people using cell phones to set off bombs as I stated anyone can go in to any shop and get a sim card and put it in a throwaway phone. So I don't see any logic there.

You can get a prepaid sim card in the USA without giving out any private info. I do it all the time. You give T- mobile $50m for one month and they give you a sim card with no questions asked.

Spending a whole day getting jerked around is not my idea of fun. But then again for some of you guys I guess it is fun. LOL

I'm just still trying to figure out what the reason it for it. The law is the law. Everyone knows how Thais respect their laws. Especially Thai drivers. So of course I respect this law. Just curious how it came about and what they hope to accomplish by it. So far no answers from the elite TV viewers.

Edited by SCARLETIBIS1

Some people apparently can't read very well. I have no problem waiting the 45 miniutes in a cue. However, before I took a number and got in the cue I asked the girl if I could get a replacement card with my old number as I had lost it. As I stated, she said no problem just take a number. THEN I waited 45 minutes and when it was turn after explaining my problem I was told, "no we cannot give you the same phone number until you make a police report".

So I guess the girl lied to me on purpose just to make me wait in line?

To the astute responder who suggested I simply get a new phone number, I would have but I had his wife's private number on the sim card I lost and she sees me once a week for therapy.

Yes, they moved the AIS office but since I was out of the country and not telepathic I had no idea.

The law is apparently a new law starting this year.

I had no idea I could simply "register" the phone number and not have to make a police report. So, registering it vs everyone knowing me and that it is my number does what again??

Regarding people using cell phones to set off bombs as I stated anyone can go in to any shop and get a sim card and put it in a throwaway phone. So I don't see any logic there.

You can get a prepaid sim card in the USA without giving out any private info. I do it all the time. You give T- mobile $50m for one month and they give you a sim card with no questions asked.

Spending a whole day getting jerked around is not my idea of fun. But then again for some of you guys I guess it is fun. LOL

I'm just still trying to figure out what the reason it for it. The law is the law. Everyone knows how Thais respect their laws. Especially Thai drivers. So of course I respect this law. Just curious how it came about and what they hope to accomplish by it. So far no answers from the elite TV viewers.

You've apparently lived here long enough to know that there is generally no rhyme or reason for a multitude of 'requirements'' in LOS...give up..stay sane..logic is non existant...

It can simply depend on the person who serves you on any particular occasion what is needed and what is not,...,as i posted, i didn't have to have any police report.

As for " The law is apparently a new law starting this year. "..apparently its not..look at this thread from '07..says back then that you need a police report..

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/127817-lost-1-2-call-sim-can-i-get-the-same-again/

Some people apparently can't read very well. I have no problem waiting the 45 miniutes in a cue. However, before I took a number and got in the cue I asked the girl if I could get a replacement card with my old number as I had lost it. As I stated, she said no problem just take a number.

Hang on. In your OP you said you asked for a new sim card when you initially approached the girl, why change the story now to asking for a replacement sim ?

Some people apparently can't read very well. I have no problem waiting the 45 miniutes in a cue. However, before I took a number and got in the cue I asked the girl if I could get a replacement card with my old number as I had lost it. As I stated, she said no problem just take a number.

Hang on. In your OP you said you asked for a new sim card when you initially approached the girl, why change the story now to asking for a replacement sim ?

Huh?..What are you on about man? a new card..yes... a replacement card yes..same thing, different wording, don't you reckon?w00t.gif

Huh?..What are you on about man? a new card..yes... a replacement card yes..same thing, different wording, don't you reckon?w00t.gif

Nup definitely not the same, see if the OP first asked for a replacement sim the girl would have told him to go an report it to the police rather than stand in the cue as he did to get a new sim card.

Nup definitely not the same, see if the OP first asked for a replacement sim the girl would have told him to go an report it to the police rather than stand in the cue as he did to get a new sim card.

On re-reading the OP..yes,i agree, you are right.. wai2.gif ...he did in fact say that he asked only if he could get a new card...