Phuket Airport taxis face undercover sting operation

Lite Beer

Phuket Airport taxis face undercover sting operation
Phuket Gazette - Thursday, March 6, 2014 2:09:32 PM

PHUKET: In an effort to compel airport metered taxi drivers to turn on their meters, Vice Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada will send policemen to pose as tourists in a sting operation.

“If the undercover officers find a taxi driver who refuses to turn on his meter, we will arrest him immediately,” Vice Governor Chamroen said.

The move follows a complaint the Phuket Gazette forwarded to the vice governor on February 14. In it, an Australian expat said that despite his request, the metered taxi driver assigned to him at the airport on February 9 refused to turn on his meter (story here).

“After I received the complaint from the Gazette, I ordered the president of the metered taxi service company to fix the problem by explaining to his staff how metered taxis operate,” he said.

“If they cannot accept that metered taxis have to use their meters, they should not be in the job. The driver in the complaint got a first warning. If he gets another, he will be banned from servicing the airport.”

V/Gov Chamroen asked passengers not to accept fixed prices from metered taxi drivers.

“This just perpetuates their bad habits,” he said.

“If they insist on charging a fixed price, I recommend taking a green plate [non-metered] taxi instead.”

People who do travel in a metered taxi at a fixed price are urged to present a copy of the fee voucher to the Organized Crime Center in Phuket Town or at Phuket International Airport.

“Even though the Department of Special Investigations [DSI] is not currently in Phuket, I’m still on top of this problem. It’s an important issue for a province that depends so much on tourism. Please rest assured that every complaint you file will get a result,” V/Gov Chamroen said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2014/Phuket-Airport-taxis-face-undercover-sting-operation-26754.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-03-06

“If the undercover officers find a taxi driver who refuses to turn on his meter, we will arrest him immediately,” Vice Governor Chamroen said.

The move follows a complaint the Phuket Gazette forwarded to the vice governor on February 14. In it, an Australian expat said that despite his request, the metered taxi driver assigned to him at the airport on February 9 refused to turn on his meter (story here).

“After I received the complaint from the Gazette, I ordered the president of the metered taxi service company to fix the problem by explaining to his staff how metered taxis operate,” he said.

“If they cannot accept that metered taxis have to use their meters, they should not be in the job. The driver in the complaint got a first warning. If he gets another, he will be banned from servicing the airport.”

LOL! This has been going on for years with no improvement. Lip service once again by the government.

• Like 1

What could have been potentially good news, has been mitigated by the fact the meters now run so fast that the flat fare comes out at the same rate or cheaper. IIRC, a few months back fares got "revised" and not for the benefit of passengers.

So flat fare is cheaper but still the taxi drivers insist on a flat fare? Something is wrong with this reasoning.

• Like 1

If I had a baht for every taxi driver who refused to turn on his meter, I'd buy out all of Thaksin's enterprises and donate them to the PDRC, bringing peace to Thailand. whistling.gif

Edited by Fookhaht

...and in our English language seminar in August 2014 we will explain to all invited Governors, Police officers and members of the press the terms "sting operation" and "undercover." We hope you will participate en masse and promise it will not create a headache.

Edited by Lupatria

Vice Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada will send policemen to pose as tourists in a sting operation.

A good plan. And these "tourists", will they come from Europe, Australia or the US in order to fool the cabbies? Or will they look and speak Thai?

In Phuket I really do not see a need for meters it just complicates things and gives the cabbies another way to rip us off..

Its simple algerbra.....from point X to point Y=Z Total aggreed upon Fare to desired destination....NO TIP of course,

Agree to fare before getting in Taxi No problem, If not agree with Fare then find another option up to you...

If meter is involved it opens more ways for us to get screwed over,

Meters are easy to tamper with, Drivers will take longer routes to raise your fare, Stuck in traffic you pay meter is running,lots more ways to get ripped using a meter

simple really.....ask price to destination ..agree if you want off ya go...

Always been this way with the Airport meter taxi never a problem...

only issue I have ever had with some not all of the phuket airport meter taxis is crazy drivers and shatbox cars that should not be on the road

if I see either i say no no no...next taxi please.....

Currently, 11 out of 29 threads on the front page of the Phuket News forum on the Thaivisa website are directly related to land transport on Phuket.

That's about 38% of threads, and that's just the front page.

Unfortunately, the "issue" continues, if not gets worse, here.

What could have been potentially good news, has been mitigated by the fact the meters now run so fast that the flat fare comes out at the same rate or cheaper. IIRC, a few months back fares got "revised" and not for the benefit of passengers.

So flat fare is cheaper but still the taxi drivers insist on a flat fare? Something is wrong with this reasoning.

Thai logic!

Thai logic!

"Flat Fare" is easier for "accounting" purposes in relation to payments for - "Tea Money" and payments to "Influential People."

The meter can fluctuate, due to traffic etc - "Flat Fare" means those in power know EXACTLY how much you must pay them.

stevenl, can we agree that we are not dealing with the sharpest tools in the shed? It's been stated here quite a few timesfrom members that the new meter prices are higher than old ( 3-6 months)flat fares.

Thai logic!

"Flat Fare" is easier for "accounting" purposes in relation to payments for - "Tea Money" and payments to "Influential People."

The meter can fluctuate, due to traffic etc - "Flat Fare" means those in power know EXACTLY how much you must pay them.

So you're saying the meter taxi's are paying teamoney based on how much they are making.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

stevenl, can we agree that we are not dealing with the sharpest tools in the shed? It's been stated here quite a few timesfrom members that the new meter prices are higher than old ( 3-6 months)flat fares.

They are very sharp in money matters, and now you're stating something different than you were originally, the new meter rates are higher than the old flat fares. Your original statement was the meter rates are higher than the flat fares. If that were the case the cabbies would not be wanting flat fares.

• Like 1

I bet the fares will go up again later this year as the new demographic of tourist continue to use their package holiday coach buses, and the what is left of the western market, increase their rental of vehicles.

Thai Business 101: "money go down - put price up."

@ stevenl

I believe it's how many vehicles you own and how many times in and out of the airport that governs your "fees."

Don't mix up "association fees" with "tea money." Whilst they are one in the same, I believe the "association" pays the "tea money" on behalf of owner/drivers.

Here's what I stated and have heard from friends that have taken metered taxis

>>flat fare comes out at the same rate or cheaper

So I haven't changed any statements, merely saying that now the flat rates are often cheaper than the metered rates. Yes, you would think that Somchai is good about which fare puts the most money in his pocket, but we don't know what goes on behind the curtain in regards to kicking back to the company. Well, maybe you do since you seem to know it all.

I think now a days don't expect anything to get cheaper, anywhere in the world.

Metered taxi prices in Thailand are cheap. Personally I wouldn't mind if prices were raised.

So I haven't changed any statements, merely saying that now the flat rates are often cheaper than the metered rates. Yes, you would think that Somchai is good about which fare puts the most money in his pocket, but we don't know what goes on behind the curtain in regards to kicking back to the company. Well, maybe you do since you seem to know it all.

I simply have trouble believing that members here actualy think the cabies would take the lower flat fare over the higher meter fare.

Obviously I was wrong, some members here really believe something like that, incredible.

I simply have trouble believing that members here actualy think the cabies would take the lower flat fare over the higher meter fare.

Obviously I was wrong, some members here really believe something like that, incredible.

What I think is "incredible" is the price for an airport taxi, metered, or not, on Phuket, compared to a metered taxi in the Capital of Thaland, Bangkok.

Now, that's incredible. :)

• Like 2

What I think is "incredible" is the price for an airport taxi, metered, or not, on Phuket, compared to a metered taxi in the Capital of Thaland, Bangkok.

Now, that's incredible. :)

Yes, prices are high, incredibly high, so high they apparently will afford to charge a lower rate than they can.