Blasts 'may be political'

Lite Beer

The Sunday Nation

30229838-01_big.gifA car was badly burnt after two home-made bombs hidden inside exploded early yesterday outside a house in Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Police investigate grenade attacks, boost security for key figures

Police are investigating whether recent violence in Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Chon Buri is related to the political conflict.

Police have stepped up security for certain independent agencies and courts, as well as at the homes of certain important figures and judges following recent violent attacks, according to Royal Thai Police deputy spokesman Pol Maj-General Anucha Romayanant.

Grenades were fired and thrown at locations linked to agencies and officials dealing with cases against government politicians.

A police meeting yesterday, chaired by deputy national police chief Pol General Aek Angsananont, agreed to the need to heighten patrols around those locations in order to prevent more attacks by "people with ill intentions who want to create some incident", the spokesman said.

The focus would be on the risky areas within a 400-metre radius around those places, he said, adding that police checkpoints have been set up in some areas.

Police also would ensure that security cameras and bomb-disposal personnel would be ready for action in case they are needed.

A distance of 400 metres is within the effective range of grenades fired from an M79 launcher, which has become the weapon of choice for the perpetrators in attacks over recent years.

Three separate violent incidents involving grenades occurred in the northern city of Chiang Mai on Friday night, leaving four people injured - one of them seriously, according to police.

In the eastern seaboard province of Chon Buri, two grenades were fired into a building that houses the Bang Sai administrative organisation's office at about 9.30pm on Friday. Part of the building and two cars parked inside were damaged. There were no reports of injuries.

Police said the intended target of the attack could be the nearby rally site of the anti-government protesters linked to the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC). The rally had attracted about 2,000 people when the attack occurred.

PDRC local leader Kantapon Sukhumalin said it was lucky that the grenades fell short of the rally site, otherwise there could have been many injuries.

Separately, two home-made bombs planted in a car exploded early yesterday in front of a house in Lak Si in Bangkok. The car had been parked there for four days.

The explosions, which set the car ablaze, took place at about 5am outside the house of a senior Royal Thai Air Force officer, who police said had no involvement with the ongoing political conflict.

Pol Colonel Kamthorn Uicharoen, from the police's Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) unit, said the bombs were put in cooking-gas cylinders and the way they were assembled was similar to one found recently outside the Attorney-General's Office.

In Chiang Mai, a string of grenade blasts on Friday night came just hours after the Constitutional Court nullified the February 2 general election - a ruling that angered government supporters.

The targets of attacks were a seafood restaurant, a petrol station and a brewery that has faced criticism because of its members of the owner's family have links with anti-government protesters.

Four people were wounded but were out of danger yesterday and had returned home, Chiang Mai provincial police commander Grit Gitilue said. "We established two possible motives for the attacks - personal conflict or politics. We are giving more weight to the second one," he said, adding that no suspects had been arrested.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-23

Yes we could say that the blasts may have been political , I find it hard to think of any other reason at this political point in time , although It might have been short sighted Infantry men, thinking they where on the firing range, then it could have been practice for the eventual return of Thaskin , what ever the reason the Police department needs to get on top of this , as it is starting to get out of control, piissiinn into the wind on this one.coffee1.gif Like everything else in Thai.

Totally unacceptable to bring this kind of violence to our country. The political leaning of the perpetrators is clearly in support of the government and against anything they see as being anti-government. I hope the vast majority of Thais will see quite clearly what acts like this really imply.

It won't take very long for the broader public to lash out against the reds when they actually do start their campaign of terror across the provinces.

Once a few innocents lose their lives from their inept attacks in a few towns and cities, the public will turn against them, they will end up being at war with Thailand, not just a single target, and that will be the end of them and the UDD which they have made clear ;they are the redshirt controlling agent'. They will all be arrested and probably life in prison or better, lethal injection.

Yes we could say that the blasts may have been political , I find it hard to think of any other reason at this political point in time , although It might have been short sighted Infantry men, thinking they where on the firing range, then it could have been practice for the eventual return of Thaskin , what ever the reason the Police department needs to get on top of this , as it is starting to get out of control, piissiinn into the wind on this one.coffee1.gif Like everything else in Thai.

I'm with you man. "Blasts May Be Political?" Is this the best that the plod can come up with? What else could it possibly be?

Maybe it is the Mayatom 1 students - finally getting pissed about their undelivered tablets. We haven't heard from them yet.

Edited by bino

...and the pope may be catholic and a good news reporter may have found out who lives in 400 m circle and maybe someday these reporters stop shivering and shaking if- maybe some important figures (!?) are related to the news.

But then again - maybe its because TIT.

Edited by Lupatria

I'm with you man. "Blasts May Be Political?" Is this the best that the plod can come up with? What else could it possibly be?

Maybe it is the Mayatom 1 students - finally getting pissed about their undelivered tablets. We haven't heard from them yet.

1 blast - who knows. Multiple? Most must be related. No proof yet is also possible. Wait and see if they ever find suspects,

yes, Blasts may be political, but may be they are antisocial? or they could be ironical, even hyperbolical - for all we know they are just diabolical and not at all pathological...then again, how about controversial and illogical?

One thing is for sure though, the police is on it, being as usual ineptical and a waste of timeical, spouting statements nonsensical.

Police have stepped up security for certain independent agencies and courts, as well as at the homes of certain important figures and judges following recent violent attacks, according to Royal Thai Police deputy spokesman Pol Maj-General Anucha Romayanant.

Given that the RTP have not solved even one of the 100 plus attacks on the anti government protesters, I would be very nervous if they were assigned to protect me. I would be inclined to wonder who "assigned" them.

• Like 1

Thank <deleted> Sherlock Holmes has been reincarnated. The mind bogles.

Totally unacceptable to bring this kind of violence to our country. The political leaning of the perpetrators is clearly in support of the government and against anything they see as being anti-government. I hope the vast majority of Thais will see quite clearly what acts like this really imply.

It could be argued that many of those doing the bombing do not recognise it as "our Country' in any interpretation of the phrase. They are locked into an "us & them" mindset like Ireland was and (ex) yugoslavia and Egypt and............... well you get my drift. They asee themselves as "us" doing it to "them" and we might secede from "them" soon so it is ok;. Logic has no place in the metal processes of the brainwashed and/or fanatical.

Get used to it for a while. It will get worse before it gets better.

Unfortunately. I hate to see them doing it to themselves for reasons they do not understand and and merely act as pawns for the (ex) local bully boy strongman. (In this sentence I refer to the "many" as in the first line. This clarification is for those preparting to rush out from under a bridge somewhere waving a red tee-shirt!!!

It won't take very long for the broader public to lash out against the reds when they actually do start their campaign of terror across the provinces.

Once a few innocents lose their lives from their inept attacks in a few towns and cities, the public will turn against them, they will end up being at war with Thailand, not just a single target, and that will be the end of them and the UDD which they have made clear ;they are the redshirt controlling agent'. They will all be arrested and probably life in prison or better, lethal injection.

You mean like the broader public has had such a big effect in calming the southern insurgency?

The bombs in the car, whether intended to be used as a car bomb or planted separated, seem to indicate an escalation from M79 grenade launcher attacks to largest explosive devices. A shift towards what Beirut and Londonderry used to be like with large explosions killing and maiming large numbers of people at random, mainly for the sheer joy of it. A sign of Thaksin spitting the dummy. If I can't have all of this for myself and my familly, no one can have it at all.