Police arrest suspect for French tourist murder

Lite Beer

Police arrest suspect for French tourist murder
Phuket Gazette -

1_20144261136137_xHpwKKlRWZXyzxWQAhwokir

Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Peerayut Karajedee (right) followed leads provided by the resort's CCTV cameras. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: Chalong Police have arrested at least one Myanmar national in connection with the killing of French tourist Fabrice Boigeol, 37, who was found slain in his rented Phuket bungalow on April 18.

Police have yet to release more details, but the Phuket Gazette has been informed that officers conducting the investigation are searching for at least one other murder suspect.

Leading investigators believe Mr Boigeol was killed amid a bungled robbery.

Security camera footage at the Moragot Resort in Rawai recorded two men, whom the receptionist did not recognize, in the hotel about the time they believe the killing occurred.

“We can see two men on CCTV, one of whom was carrying a white towel. We believe the towel was used to conceal stolen property,” said Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Peerayut Karajedee

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Police-arrest-suspect-French-tourist-murder/29250#ad-image-0

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-04-26

I knew it... I knew it...

They would fit up a couple of migrants to save the TAT image.

Of course no Thai would ever do such a thing to a tourist..... what a complete joke.

Without being racist, a lot of crime emanates from the Burmese labour camps on Phuket.

I understand there are more than 100000 working here both legally and illegally.

They are frequently poorly paid and confined to their camps after hours where there is a lot of drunkenness and gambling. There has been a number of gruesome and senseless murders among them in recent times.

While they aren't the only group committing house break ins they are responsible for much of this crime.

It seems this unfortunate Frenchman came home at the wrong time.

Of course no Thai would ever do such a thing to a tourist..... what a complete joke.

Posts of the nature you made are a bigger joke.

Why do you say the police 'fitted-up' the accused when they were seen on CCTV. And bear in mind the one who was arrested hasn't been found guilty of anything yet.

As with the recent teen rapists, I hope there is more evidence other than a grainy CCTV picture and a confession. Perhaps fingerprints, DNA etc.

Just too many early arrests, and too many confessions on Phuket for me to believe it's always great police work.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

I doubt the cops caught the guy using that CCTV picture, unless they had a better version than the one published.

Most likely they would have been asking questions among large groups of labourers in the area, and someone would point out who is suddenly cashed up or has a laptop to sell. The words master and criminal are rarely put together in this country.

• Like 1

I doubt the cops caught the guy using that CCTV picture, unless they had a better version than the one published.

Most likely they would have been asking questions among large groups of labourers in the area, and someone would point out who is suddenly cashed up or has a laptop to sell. The words master and criminal are rarely put together in this country.

"The words master and criminal are rarely put together in this country." - true, but who did the murder?

The cashed up Burmese labourer, or the or the Burmese labourer in receipt of the stolen property, the laptop.

The BiB can take their pick. I suppose they get the real murderer 50% of the time. :)

Without being racist, a lot of crime emanates from the Burmese labour camps on Phuket.

I understand there are more than 100000 working here both legally and illegally.

They are frequently poorly paid and confined to their camps after hours where there is a lot of drunkenness and gambling. There has been a number of gruesome and senseless murders among them in recent times.

While they aren't the only group committing house break ins they are responsible for much of this crime.

It seems this unfortunate Frenchman came home at the wrong time.

Why would anyone view your comment as racist anyway? 'Burmese' is not a race.

Arrest made in case of slain Frenchman

1398503129_1-org.jpg

Maung Myo, 25, was arrested for the killing of Fabrice Boigeol, 37, on April 18.

PHUKET: One arrest has been made in connection to the murder of 37-year-old French national Fabrice Boigeol who was found dead inside his bungalow on Soi Saiyuan in Rawai on April 18.

Chalong Police nabbed Maung Myo, 25, after CCTV footage gave investigators clues as to the appearance of two potential suspects.

Police are still searching for the other suspect in connection with the killing.

At the time of the murder, Col Peerayut Karajedi, Vice Commander of Phuket Police, said that the reason for the killing might have been robbery. Camera footage shows the two men carrying an item out of the bungalow, which investigators believe was Boigeol's missing laptop.

Police said Mr Boigeol had been bashed with a hard object and suffered injuries to his head, neck and chest during the murder.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/arrest-made-in-case-of-slain-frenchman-45928.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-04-26

Near traffic lights Viset?Sai Yuan

Just passed the place. I have been there many times, a friend lives further up the soi, but today finally noticed the sign for the 'resort'. In my defense, the sign is really small :).

Second killer of French tourist arrested
Eakkapop Thongtub

post-36914-0-57837600-1398573627_thumb.j

Maung Myo (left) and Schwe Dam (right) have been charged with killing French tourist Fabrice Boigeol on April 18.

PHUKET: The second man accused of murdering a French tourist in Rawai has been arrested finally been caught.

Mr Schwe Dam, a 23-year-old Burmese national, has confessed to killing Fabrice Boigeol, 27, along with Mr Maung Myo, 25, during a botched robbery on April 18.

Police reports say Mr Dam confessed that the duo bashed Boigeol in his sleep at the Frenchman's bungalow on Soi Suiyuan in Rawai with a large piece of hardwood and rock. The men then stole a camera, cell phone, and other items from the room before fleeing the scene, reports said.

During the investigation, CCTV footage revealed two men leave Boigeol's bungalow at about 5am on April 18, carrying items wrapped in a white towel.

Police arrested Mr Myo on Friday (April 25). Both men were living in a Burmese worker's camp not far from the Rawai hotel where the murder/robbery took place.

Police have recovered the stolen items and charged both Mr Dam and Mr Myo with murder.

French Honorary Consul, Mr Claude de Crissy, arrived at the station to thank police for their work in catching the suspects.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/second-killer-of-french-tourist-arrested-45935.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-04-27

So they just bludgeoned the poor guy to death as he was sleeping! Incredibly brutal and callous.

He didn't wake and try to fight them off, they just killed him before he knew what was happening.

This deserves the death penalty!

So they just bludgeoned the poor guy to death as he was sleeping! Incredibly brutal and callous.

He didn't wake and try to fight them off, they just killed him before he knew what was happening.

Would it have been OK, if they had bludgeoned him to death after he woke up? Either way they are aliens in Thailand without connections or money and will get the maximum penalty. That will mean life, if they cooperate and plead guilty. Otherwise death which will be later commuted to life following pleas from Myanmar govt.

Would it have been OK, if they had bludgeoned him to death after he woke up? Either way they are aliens in Thailand without connections or money and will get the maximum penalty. That will mean life, if they cooperate and plead guilty. Otherwise death which will be later commuted to life following pleas from Myanmar govt.

I would answer that question, in a manner commensurate with it's value, but I fear that yet again my post would disappear.

Frenchman murdered in his sleep, confesses suspect
Phuket Gazette

1_2014428152839996_AjPVIOMgsrnJiSOKkiqTz
Myanmar national Shwe Oo, 24, confessed that French tourist Fabrice Boigeol was bludgeoned to death in his sleep. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- French tourist Fabrice Boigeol was bludgeoned to death in his sleep, Myanmar national Shwe Oo confessed yesterday.

The body of Mr Boigeol, 37, was found in a pool of blood partially under a mattress in a room at the Moragot Resort, located off Saiyuan Road in Rawai, on April 18 (story here).

After days scouring the area for clues, police arrested Mr Shwe at a rubber plantation near a worker’s camp in Wichit on Saturday, National Police Office adviser Ratchata Yensuang told a press conference yesterday.

Officers found Mr Shwe in possession of items stolen from Mr Boigeol, as well as other items, including a camera, a mobile phone and money stolen from another room at the resort, the general added.

The 24-year-old blamed his accomplice Myanmar national Maung Myo, also 24, for killing Mr Boigeol.

“Maung Myo asked me to go with him on that day. We started stealing things from room number three, then we went to room number five. The door was not locked,” Mr Shwe said.

Mr Maung had been insulted by the Frenchman in an encounter before April 18 and was still enraged, Mr Shwe explained.

“It made him so angry he wanted to kill the Frenchman. He hit him at the base of the ear with a piece of wood while he was sleeping.

“I tried to tell him to just hit him, but don’t kill him, but he hit him two more times after the Frenchman fell from the bed to the floor.”

After ransacking the room, Mr Maung gave Mr Shwe a camera and the pair fled the resort, Mr Shwe said.

“After I heard that the Frenchman had died, I hid at my friend’s house in a rubber plantation,” Mr Shwe said.

Mr Shwe has been charged with theft and murder, Gen Ratchata confirmed.

Police are now searching for Mr Maung.

— Kritsada Mueanhawong

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Frenchman-murdered-his-sleep-confesses-suspect/29266#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-04-28