American tourist arrested for stealing transport van in Thailand

webfact

THEFT
American detained for stealing transport van

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- An American tourist was arrested in Trat's Muang district on Monday night for allegedly stealing a Bangkok-Trat public transport van so he could catch a border bus to Cambodia.

The suspect, identified as 40-year-old Karta Singh Harta, was apprehended along with the stolen van at the Khao Lan checkpoint in tambon Laem Klad after van driver Surasak Choman, 37, alerted police, Trat Muang Police Station's on-duty officer Pol Captain Jakkapan Muankaew said.

Surasak told police that Singh had travelled with him from Bangkok to Trat's Muang district and then tried to get him to drop him off at the Hat Lek border because he had business to attend to in Cambodia's Koh Kong province.

The van driver said he refused to drive on to Hat Lek as it was beyond his concession route and offered to get the tourist a ride on a local transport truck. However, the American insisted on being in the van.

When Surasak stopped at a petrol station for a toilet run in downtown Trat, the tourist took over and sped away.

Singh later told police that Surasak had left the capital later than scheduled, which is why he missed the bus to Hat Lek. He added that he was also afraid because Surasak was armed with a knife, which is why he chose to speed away. He said he did not intend to steal the van, but just wanted to drive to the police station, but since he did not know how to get here he decided to drive to the Khao Lan checkpoint instead.

Police were not convinced and decided to charge Singh with steal another person's property.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-30

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An American named Karta Singh Harta. Hmmm. New one on me.

as the US is a multi ethnicity country , I dont see why someone with this name sound strange , unless you think all yanks should be named Jim , jack or Dick .....

Many americans are getting nostalgic about the long gone time of familiar names...

Merely nostalgia...whistling.gif

• Like 2

An American named Karta Singh Harta. Hmmm. New one on me.

Indeed his name was not Sitting Bull or Gernonimo or any other real American who were exterminated by the whites stealing their land.

Quite hypocritical to call an other who has not one of your white names not a real American. I was always told America was a melting pot of cultures and people. Guess I was misinformed.

Edited by robblok

Surprising that Singh couldn't offer enough baht to entice Surasak to go the distance to the Thai/Cambodia border. It's such a foolhardy scenario that it raises questions about the facts involved.

Absolutely raises doubts about the facts. Firstly, the suggestion he is American must be in error.

Americans behave themselves well when abroad so I am guessing he is actually an Aussie or Russian ;-)

Although the name does sound Irish? O'Harta?

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 1