My Experience Retirement Extension Immigration 14/5/2014

ajnamoon

At CM Imm - my 90 days report without any booking, I was in and out in 5 mins flat, not even enough time for my G/f to drink her coffee. but I arrive close to lunchtime when the crowds are less.

My one year retirement extension took longer, and I arrived early around 9.am so as not to miss that day's list. I was out before lunch -still 3 hours of people watching, but I had all my paperwork and the actual time spent with the officer was about 5 mins. The main hold-ups are people with no idea of what paperwork they need (see below), and can't speak English very well.

I must add, the CM officers are very helpful and polite, and if you ask them 'how long?' they will give you an estimate of when your number will be called. I even asked one to check my papers, (like they do in Pattaya) and she said get a couple more photocopies of something, and it's fine. If everyone did that, it would shorten the queuing time.

• Like 1

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I think the first immigration officer did not quite say the right thing when he said "bank statement" even though it should be good enough. I always give them copies of my bank book showing entries back 3 months. Never been asked for printed statements.

Everything else you mention is par for the course in Thailand. Thais are very ego-centric and basically racist. If you aren't Thai then you are a lesser person and not worth very much to them. They love seeing us jump through hoops to their tune so you have to stand for a National Anthem as everyone always does in a theater though I've never had to do it in Jomtien immigration.

Having your GF say the bank book was your book is absolutely crazy, but really no crazier that a lot of things the Thais put us through. Sometimes it makes sense and more often than not it does not make sense.

About having 1.6M in the bank if you have a joint account...what they are doing, I think, is looking at you like a falang couple which would need 1.6M to cover them both. If you were married then it would be 400,000 for you and probably, I'm guessing, 800,000 in a joint account if you are married. Never forget the money in the bank is so they know you have enough to cover living expenses for a year for ONE person. If you are married to a Thai citizen you get a 50% break on the requirement, but GF's do not count.

The thing is you should always have an account in your name only for the 800,000 for retirement and don't have it tied up in a "Term" savings account or they may say you do not have access to it 24/7 and so no good. Some people have been able to put their money in these types of "Term" accounts and some have not.

Wrong

1507625.GIF

Your story, OP, is exactly why I pay a small amount of money to an agent to do this for me. Life is too short for all that-and arriving at 5.15am-bah. That's sleep time.

But you don't need to arrive at 5-15 if you make an appointment online.

I may have missed seeing the location where the Q system is in place.

I deal with Nakhon si Thammarat and Koh Samui immigration and have never experienced such a process. Even when I go for my annual retirement visa renewal, it takes me no longer than an hour. 90 day report is usually 15 minutes to 1/2 hour, depending on their workload.

hi Again

Just a follow up to my recent posting on retirement experience yesterday

Just looked up translation of thai national anthem

First two verses Thailand embraces in its bosom all people of thai blood

Every inch of thailand belongs to the Thais

After reading this translation i find it even more bizzare that falangs at immigration were asked to stand for national anthem !!!!1

If you remain seated, especially in a public place, you're likely to be berated for ill-manners.

We are guests in their country, their king.

Yes.Paying guests with no right to question anything.

• Like 1

Your story, OP, is exactly why I pay a small amount of money to an agent to do this for me. Life is too short for all that-and arriving at 5.15am-bah. That's sleep time.

But you don't need to arrive at 5-15 if you make an appointment online.

I may have missed seeing the location where the Q system is in place.

I deal with Nakhon si Thammarat and Koh Samui immigration and have never experienced such a process. Even when I go for my annual retirement visa renewal, it takes me no longer than an hour. 90 day report is usually 15 minutes to 1/2 hour, depending on their workload.

It could just be a Chiang Mai thing.

Look at the Chiang Mai pinned list and you will see the link to the details.

Here we can book an appointment for annual extension up to 100 days in advance.

It's a great system and something Chiang Mai immigration should be complimented on.

hi Again

After reading this translation i find it even more bizzare that falangs at immigration were asked to stand for national anthem !!!!1

If you remain seated, especially in a public place, you're likely to be berated for ill-manners.

Guest should be someone welcome, respected and free of charge but we bring a lot of money here and we help to develop the country too. we aren't migrants come to exploiting the country or looking for a better life like burmese or cambodians...

hi Again

Guest should be someone welcome, respected and free of charge but we bring a lot of money here and we help to develop the country too. we aren't migrants come to exploiting the country or looking for a better life like burmese or cambodians...

Standing one minute for the National or Royal anthem isn't really such a big deal, unless a person cannot stand

Farangs standing for the Thai National Athem is out of courtesy, just like in any other country, also like standing for the King at a cinema before the movie. Thai immigration just about everywhere is like the wild west.

No kidding, because anyone who remains seated does indeed have ill manners.

What a boorish comment he made and then unbelievably reinforced, that people should not stand up for the national anthem. In any country. Under any circumstances. I will except people in their own country who might want to refuse for political reasons, such as Canadians in the 1950s and 1960s, for example.

But a visitor and guest in a country who refuses to stand? He's getting off lightly if it's only pointed out loudly and often that he has ill manners. And in Thailand, if it is the royal anthem rather than the national anthem, you might not get off at all lightly, to which I could only add, "good". What a boor. Just that comment leaves all his claims about being pushed around by immigration just a bit suspect, what?

Well good to see so many responses to my posting of retirement extension

just to clarify a few points I was not putting up this posting as a complaint basically sharing my experience at immigration office for benefit of thai visa users

the paperwork photocopies that i took with me was what i was told to bring by immigration officer on last appointment in March where i converted my tourist visa to non immigrant o visa

My bank account as stated has been in my sole name since i opened it in Aug 2012 and its never fell below 1 million baht ,and yes i did check my bank letter which did match my bank book

i am aware of online booking appointment system and after getting my o visa in march tried to book online for mid may but guess whatL ALL SLOTS FULL

In fact if you check online system, today you will see it is fully booked for 3 months ahead

i appreciate all the comments and feedback but dont see the need from certain members POSTING NEGATIVE COMMENTS OR PERSONAL ATTACKS

Yes i feel there is a need for visa agents who deal with all the ins and outs of visas on daily basis

To sum up it really depends on the immigration officer that you get as to what documentation they will ask for so my advice would be if youre going to immigration for visa photocopy everything all passport pages all bank book pages

Hope to see move positive replies and advice this time???????

• Like 1

Here in Phuket we have to get all our paperwork done which is than checked by a Farang Vollunteer who then issues you a number.

Am told the Thai immigration hates them, but they do make it move smoother

Last year ( june) it took me less than 15 minutes to do the extension and get the re entry permit. I love the low season :-)

We need only copies of the past 3 extensions in our passport plus front page and page showing current entry stamp

Copy of bank book

letter from bank ( less than 2 days old)

Letter from embassy ( i am American) Notorized

Letter from home country bank or other proof of income ( i do the combo method so no 3 month seasoning and use letter from SS)

Photos

It has certainly become more streamlined in Phuket with the new system of the farang volunteers checking the paperwork first and then giving you a queue number. My number was second in the queue.

The immigration officer quickly checked the paperwork again, went to the rear of the office and copied some more pages from my passport (the TV must've missed that) and handed the papers to another person for processing.

It was the 30 minute wait for the passport to come back from upstairs (I think that's where it went) that was a drag.

In the past, the immigration officer who checked the papers also stamped the passport and gave it to the woman at the back to check. She was the one who used to hold things up before. Maybe she's moved upstairs now.

Either way, it seems a much better system in Phuket than Chiang Mai.

Maybe send a copy of this thread to CM immigration?

(Yes, only joking. rolleyes.gif)

Feeling weird being asked to stand for the national anthem of of your resident country and in particular Thailand I find weird. I guess you chose to live here?

I believe their have been incidents of people being fined or jailed here for disrespect, and understandable bearing in mind the reverence to HM here. You do seem to have a bit of a Thai phobia?

Online Q system. I would love to see the list of names for all the pre booked slots! Said it before, but pretty much sure a large percentage of them are booked by the agents.

You just don't get it do you.

They do over 50 a day and only have 10 on line appointments. You carry on like every one can do it. You are just clueless. They do not have the system for every one just a few. What is it going to take to get that through to people. Maybe if they get this new building that was mentioned and the new staff city life had talked about a while ago every one will be able to do it. As it is now it is not a practical suggestion. 1 out of 6 get it good for them. But I was pointing out the number of them that continually talk about it there is far more of them than the ones who don't get it and don't protest.

Yes I do not use the system I am on a retirement that means I don't have to run around here and there all the time and not have time to sit back and read a book and meet some interesting people. I could do other things but I enjoy a good book and meeting other people.

Well Doll northernjohn, why don't you just carry on turning up at 5am and reading your book and I'll carry on arriving 5 minutes before 10 for my 15 minute interview without a book, then we will both be satisfied. I'm not suggesting everyone can do it, but people who read the CM forum know about it and certainly can. But hey, you have nothing to do and enjoy spending many hours there, so who am I to spoil your days entertainment? smile.png

You still don't get it. Right over your head. I was remarking on the number of times people like you have to tell us how you just go on line and make an appointment. Rough guess is 1 out of 6 get to make the appointment. But the one out of six makes a point of mentioning it as many times as the other 5 complain about it. That is what I was on about. Do you feel better than the other's and feel the need to constantly remind us.

One post was down rite insulting to a member who can afford it and avoids it by using a service that does it for him and charges.

Not that it matters but the earliest I ever showed up was 7:30 and the last time 8:30 both times I got in that day. I enjoyed meeting some interesting people and reading my book. Not you but I can tell by some posters that they do not like to be around other people. For them I can understand it.

I don't know what the other ones on work visas or education visas have to do. so I can not speak for them. But I do know what retired people have to do.

i am aware of online booking appointment system and after getting my o visa in march tried to book online for mid may but guess whatL ALL SLOTS FULL

In fact if you check online system, today you will see it is fully booked for 3 months ahead

The thing is you have a 30 day window to do your renewal. So if say your renewal date is May 31st, you can book it for May 2nd and it will still run from May 31st.

If you start looking around May 2nd, 100 days before then on one of the days leading up to May 31st you will get a slot.

And I'll tell you a little secret, if you go online at 0030 you will find lots of slots available. They fill up during the daytime as people get up in the morning, or the Visa Assist crew get into work. wink.png

If you know what the rules are and what to do, it's all a piece of cake.

hi Again

Speak for your self.

I came here looking for a different life. There customs are different and I honor all of them. If they want to sing the National Anthem I stand as I can't sing it but I can honor it. If they want to stand to honor the King in the movie theaters I also stand. It is more a matter of honoring their customs. If I don't agree with their customs I refuse to make myself miserable by trying to change them I will just go back to North America.

I know people who come here from western countries because they can not afford their own country.

I am not a guest. They never asked me to come they just allowed me to come and partake in parts of their life. I still maintain parts of my western life. Such as I will go to the western supermarket or department store and so will they. to do this I live in an area where it is possible.

You just don't get it do you.

They do over 50 a day and only have 10 on line appointments. You carry on like every one can do it. You are just clueless. They do not have the system for every one just a few. What is it going to take to get that through to people. Maybe if they get this new building that was mentioned and the new staff city life had talked about a while ago every one will be able to do it. As it is now it is not a practical suggestion. 1 out of 6 get it good for them. But I was pointing out the number of them that continually talk about it there is far more of them than the ones who don't get it and don't protest.

Yes I do not use the system I am on a retirement that means I don't have to run around here and there all the time and not have time to sit back and read a book and meet some interesting people. I could do other things but I enjoy a good book and meeting other people.

Well Doll northernjohn, why don't you just carry on turning up at 5am and reading your book and I'll carry on arriving 5 minutes before 10 for my 15 minute interview without a book, then we will both be satisfied. I'm not suggesting everyone can do it, but people who read the CM forum know about it and certainly can. But hey, you have nothing to do and enjoy spending many hours there, so who am I to spoil your days entertainment? smile.png

You still don't get it. Right over your head. I was remarking on the number of times people like you have to tell us how you just go on line and make an appointment. Rough guess is 1 out of 6 get to make the appointment. But the one out of six makes a point of mentioning it as many times as the other 5 complain about it. That is what I was on about. Do you feel better than the other's and feel the need to constantly remind us.

One post was down rite insulting to a member who can afford it and avoids it by using a service that does it for him and charges.

Not that it matters but the earliest I ever showed up was 7:30 and the last time 8:30 both times I got in that day. I enjoyed meeting some interesting people and reading my book. Not you but I can tell by some posters that they do not like to be around other people. For them I can understand it.

I don't know what the other ones on work visas or education visas have to do. so I can not speak for them. But I do know what retired people have to do.

So the conclusion is:

Get there very early if you have nothing else to do, like reading and meeting interesting people, or

Go online 100 days before your renewal date (or up to 30 days earlier) and then forget about it, or

Pay a Visa agency whatever they charge to do it for you and forget about it

Simple choices really, can't understand all the angst over it.

hi Again

Speak for your self.

I came here looking for a different life. There customs are different and I honor all of them. If they want to sing the National Anthem I stand as I can't sing it but I can honor it. If they want to stand to honor the King in the movie theaters I also stand. It is more a matter of honoring their customs. If I don't agree with their customs I refuse to make myself miserable by trying to change them I will just go back to North America.

I know people who come here from western countries because they can not afford their own country.

I am not a guest. They never asked me to come they just allowed me to come and partake in parts of their life. I still maintain parts of my western life. Such as I will go to the western supermarket or department store and so will they. to do this I live in an area where it is possible.

ND,

What did you have to provide to Immigration to get permanent residency?

15 baht a day... I can afford 15 baht a day to avoid hassling myself making photocopies, making appointments, getting all the documents needed and being sure they are correct. And then only standing in the Immigration office for three minutes while I sign the paper.

Out of curiosity, two and a half months ago I tried making an appointment for the beginning of June. No openings. I really didn't want one anyway, but just wanted to check. It appears I couldn't get one even if I DID want one! But for 15 baht a day I can hire an agent to take complete control of the situation. I can afford 15 baht a day.

I don't want to wake up at 4am to go to the Immigration office to get a number, then return home only to go back again later to just sit. Sure, I have a good book to read, but I also have much nicer surroundings than the Immigration office in which to read it! I'll hire the agent who did all my 90-day reports for me. That only cost 4 baht a day.

15 baht a day... For some I guess that's waaaay too much money to spend. It's not for me. I can afford 15 baht a day. I budget for it under the category "Luxury Expense." They should all be that cheap! smile.png

Edited by FolkGuitar

15 baht a day... I can afford 15 baht a day to avoid hassling myself making photocopies, making appointments, getting all the documents needed and being sure they are correct. And then only standing in the Immigration office for three minutes while I sign the paper.

Out of curiosity, two and a half months ago I tried making an appointment for the beginning of June. No openings. I really didn't want one anyway, but just wanted to check. It appears I couldn't get one even if I DID want one! But for 15 baht a day I can hire an agent to take complete control of the situation. I can afford 15 baht a day.

I don't want to wake up at 4am to go to the Immigration office to get a number, then return home only to go back again later to just sit. Sure, I have a good book to read, but I also have much nicer surroundings than the Immigration office in which to read it! I'll hire the agent who did all my 90-day reports for me. That only cost 4 baht a day.

15 baht a day... For some I guess that's waaaay too much money to spend. It's not for me. I can afford 15 baht a day. I budget for it under the category "Luxury Expense." They should all be that cheap! smile.png

But you're wrong Folk Guitar, you shouldn't spend your 15 Baht exactly how you choose, it upsets too many people and therefore quite inconsiderate of you. wink.png

• Like 1

14 baht a day is as much as I could run to so I do it myself, relatively painless.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

15 baht a day... For some I guess that's waaaay too much money to spend. It's not for me. I can afford 15 baht a day. I budget for it under the category "Luxury Expense." They should all be that cheap!

But you're wrong Folk Guitar, you shouldn't spend your 15 Baht exactly how you choose, it upsets too many people and therefore quite inconsiderate of you.

I guess I've always been a spendthrift.... smile.png

These seem to be the same folks who complain in 'tipping' threads about people not leaving enough money on the table. I love the dichotomy.

15 baht a day... For some I guess that's waaaay too much money to spend. It's not for me. I can afford 15 baht a day. I budget for it under the category "Luxury Expense." They should all be that cheap!

14 baht a day is as much as I could run to so I do it myself, relatively painless.

I'd be happy to offer to loan you 1 baht a day, but I'd most likely be told that I need a work permit for that. smile.png

With an appointment, it's a breeze.

But you will need to read books and meet interesting people elsewhere, unless you like 'hang out' when finished.

Cheap Charlies...

"The I am retired which means I have money" types.

The battle will be on soon!

I use an agent for everything I am required to do with Immigration and I am not ashamed of it. There are some people I would not like to spend time at Immigration to meet.

And for those that are paying only 15 baht per day, does that include VAT?

By the way, I am retired and I don't "have money".

Edited by hml367

And for those that are paying only 15 baht per day, does that include VAT?

Gosh! You're right! I forgot about the VAT! I'm actually spending 15.2 baht a day. I guess I'll have to cut back on trips to Bali and Japan to cover it.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I guess I've always been a spendthrift.... smile.png

These seem to be the same folks who complain in 'tipping' threads about people not leaving enough money on the table. I love the dichotomy.

I'd be happy to offer to loan you 1 baht a day, but I'd most likely be told that I need a work permit for that. smile.png

Enough already, just leave me a loan!

1512044.gif

• Like 1

To ajnamoon

Thanks for posting your experiences - some of us appreciate it. However, there are a group on ThaiVisa who use the site to vent, and why not (if you are a bored retiree). So a great and informative post (criticised a couple of times for not being eloquent enough) rapidly degenerates into a stream of posts about other things and some of the folk on the site come out swinging their handbags - not at you - but at each other. Hence the heated bits about standing for the national anthem and using agents.

If the truth be know there are a bunch of folk whose only enjoyment is trolling those who post or arguing with an avatar with whom they have crossed swords before. But it is fun to read I often have a bloody good laugh at some of the comments and there are times when some of the funnier guys and gals with their clever play on words really make my day.

But often the posts I like the most are those that go "chill out guys - Its a matter of choice if you do / think a or b or c"

So folk - keep posting your experiences - they are worthwhile - they give the rest of us: a chance to gauge changes at Immigration; to add essential docs to our document bundle at our next visit; to note things that need to be done and should not be done - IN A WORD - THEY HELP