State officials told to work as normal: Thailand

webfact

State officials told to work as normal
Jeerapong Prasertpolkrung
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha met with state officials yesterday and told them to perform their duties as usual, a source present at the meeting said.

Prayuth also reportedly instructed Cabinet secretary Ampon Kittiampon to inform other political office holders about the martial law and help them understand the issue, the source said, adding that the spotlight was clearly on Ampon at the meeting.

"The Army chief told us that we cannot let the country and the public face violence or let them continue fighting with each other to the point of bloodshed and deaths before we decide to step in," the source said.

When asked if he would speak to the political office holders immediately as instructed, Ampon just smiled and walked away.

Meanwhile, PM's Office permanent secretary Thongthong Chandrangsu said the meeting had been held to have everybody come together to solve problems mutually and ensure that all officials are performing their duties in a state of peace and order.

He said the Army chief did not see any need to impose a curfew.

"Everyone who came today understood what he or she should do to restore peace, which is an urgent mission," he said, adding that the authorities were ready to help the protesters return to their home towns safely.

State Railway of Thailand governor Prapas Chongsa-nguan said martial law, which Prayuth has insisted is necessary for people's safety, would not affect travel and that the SRT would help take protesters home.

National Security Council chief Thawil Pliensri said the meeting was held to create an understanding and maintain peace, while the Army chief warned that violators of the law would face legal consequences.

Permanent secretary for Public Health Narong Sahametapat just smiled and didn't make any comments.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-21

A corrupt Government has had to be removed and the Army has had to step in and take over its reponsibilities while new arrangements are made. Just think how good would it be if the rice farmers got paid while the martial law was in operation... Pheu Thai have let down the country with their arrogant corrupt incompetence. Shame on August 3rd voters cant have a FAIR election to get rid of them once and for all and their paymaster but we all know the bribes and the threats will flow in the North and North East

• Like 1

A corrupt Government has had to be removed and the Army has had to step in and take over its responsibilities while new arrangements are made.

I don't pretend to understand the politics, but the way I'm reading the situation is very different:

2 competing factions were setting up to confront each other, both armed to the teeth. The only entity that was adequately equipped to stop it, stepped in to keep it from turning into a bloodbath.

This call to keep working as usual is just one piece of data. Maybe it will get more complicated, but it's way too early to call.

Edited by impulse

A corrupt Government has had to be removed and the Army has had to step in and take over its responsibilities while new arrangements are made.

I don't pretend to understand the politics, but the way I'm reading the situation is very different:

2 competing factions were setting up to confront each other, both armed to the teeth. The only entity that was adequately equipped to stop it, stepped in to keep it from turning into a bloodbath.

This call to keep working as usual is just one piece of data. Maybe it will get more complicated, but it's way too early to call.

the one significant part you omitted is the fact that one of these groups was fully supported by the sitting government and had acting senior MP's in it's leadership one of which was recently caught transporting arms in the boot of his car to support armed attacks on peaceful civilians - go figure

• Like 1

"both armed to the teeth" i think you prove your lack of understanding!! How many PRO Govt demonstrators dead - how many ANTI dead - 28!!! The anti has no grenades and has not killed anyone the Government side has set out to kill demonstrators and brush it under the carpet!!

the one significant part you omitted is the fact that one of these groups was fully supported by the sitting government and had acting senior MP's in it's leadership one of which was recently caught transporting arms in the boot of his car to support armed attacks on peaceful civilians - go figure

Oh smedley, you're getting more and more hysterical. Calm down. First of all the alleged "cache" of weapons was in a car owned by an advisor to a cabinet minister.

How many rebellions do you know of, that are started with two assault rifles? Yes, that's right two assault rifles. This is Thailand, we have Senators going to family lunches with loaded pistols, a Dem MP is on bail for pre meditated murder of PTP official with his personal weapon of choice, a .40 automatic.

Go figure.

• Like 2

"both armed to the teeth" i think you prove your lack of understanding!! How many PRO Govt demonstrators dead - how many ANTI dead - 28!!! The anti has no grenades and has not killed anyone the Government side has set out to kill demonstrators and brush it under the carpet!!

I'm forecasting that within about 2-3 posts, someone else will get on here and blast the ANTI's and their "despicable actions to knock down a legally elected government", and the fact that they had dozens of "guards" (the other posters will call them thugs) with weapons at all their protests sites. Read a few of the zillions of post over the past 6 months and both sides are absolutely convinced they're right.

I'm staying out of that argument. I don't pretend to know who are the good guys and who are the bad guys.

Edited by impulse

I'm forecasting that within about 2-3 posts, someone else will get on here and blast the ANTI's and their "despicable actions to knock down a legally elected government", and the fact that they had dozens of "guards" (the other posters will call them thugs) with weapons at all their protests sites. Read a few of the zillions of post over the past 6 months and both sides are absolutely convinced they're right.

I'm staying out of that argument. I don't pretend to know who are the good guys and who are the bad guys.

Well you could start by not believing everything on here - the post by love1012 about the only dead being anti government protesters, would be the first thing to query - a complete lie.

So who threw the grenade that blew a coppers leg off? The tooth fairy ? it's been well documented that the PDRC guards have assault rifles in their possession, so spare the " it wasn't us, we are a peaceful protest"

Both sides are up to their necks in shit, and there's an undesirable element in both camps!!!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

So who threw the grenade that blew a coppers leg off? The tooth fairy ? it's been well documented that the PDRC guards have assault rifles in their possession, so spare the " it wasn't us, we are a peaceful protest"

Both sides are up to their necks in shit, and there's an undesirable element in both camps!!!

See, told ya.